NBA Chat with Cody Taylor 1/13/17

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Cody_Taylor_ChatBasketball Insiders writer Cody Taylor will hold his weekly chat at 1 p.m. EST on Friday. Leave him your questions on the latest rumors, this season’s storylines or anything else about your favorite team.

1. Jesus Naves

It is hard to tell what plan the Magic are following. They have no chance for playoffs this year, but they still trying to do so.
    What are you expecting them to do with the trading deadline coming nearer?
    I think they should blow it all up again, trade Ibaka & Vooch, give heavy minutes to Aaron Gordon, Payton, Hezonja (so far a big bust) and Zimmermann. Get another high pick and rebuild in summer.
    What do you think?

• Cody Taylor

Welcome in, everyone! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Let’s get started!

From what I’ve heard, it sounds like the Magic have been asking around and seeing what’s available (as all teams do) but it doesn’t sound like they’re close to anything. The problem is it seems likely teams calling would want Aaron Gordon and it’s going to take a huge offer for the Magic to part ways with him and teams may not be willing to do so. What other players on the team would teams realistically want? No other players on the team are going to return the Magic anything substantial to help them win now so the Magic appear to be in a tough spot right now.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know what the best move for the Magic is right now. Go back in time and don’t trade Tobias Harris for cap space? That’s probably where I’d start. Plus, given the team’s draft history in recent years, I don’t know getting another high draft pick would help them any considering they’ve missed on all of their recent picks.

2. JimInCyberspace

Cody,

The NBRA says the NBA is allowing Cuban to run roughshod over them via intimidation and threats. If this is true, it’s just another reason why Mark Cuban should be everyone’s favorite owner?

What do you think of Silver’s undisclosed plan to speed up the end of games for Millennials who “have increasingly short attention spans”? This can’t happen, can it?

• Cody Taylor

I’m not even sure it’s fair to cite the reasoning just to Millennials – I think all fans wouldn’t mind seeing the end of games being sped up. For the record, I’m 28 years old and guess I fall in that category but have you seen the last two minutes of games? It’s crazy sometimes.

This subject was brought up recently on the Dan Patrick Show and he brought up the point that players should know by now how to approach end-of-game situations. A good coach will prepare his players on how to properly handle those situations so all of these timeouts shouldn’t be necessary. It wouldn’t be fair to totally eliminate timeouts during these situations but let’s cut them down some.

If it’s something as simple as calling a timeout to want to advance the ball, that is being experimented with in the D-League as a ‘reset timeout.’ Teams can’t actually huddle up or draw plays but it allows the ball to be advanced. Let’s figure out a way to get that into the NBA and run with that. I think something needs to be done during these situations.

3. Jason

Cody, what are you expectations for trades coming around. Do you see Danny Ainge going nuts again? Should they trade that 1st round pick from NJ for better assets? Do the 76ers stay pat until the off season? Thoughts?

• Cody Taylor

Typically, the trades that ultimately pan out versus the rumors we hear leading up to the deadline don’t work out. Some of them do happen but most of them don’t. That said, the trade deadline will be hyped up but not all of the players we are hearing will be traded.

I think the Celtics (as most teams do) will be seeing what’s available but it sounds like they’re pretty set with what they have and probably won’t make a move for the sake of making a move. If something comes their way that’s worth doing, they look at it but I think they’re pretty happy where they are.

I think the 76ers probably don’t move anyone major until the offseason. As much as Embiid wants them in the playoffs, they’re probably still a season away from that possibility. They’ll likely have their own lottery pick (if they miss the playoffs) in the draft and then possibly the Lakers’ pick as well. They could potentially have two lottery picks and Ben Simmons returning at some point later this season or next season. I think they stand pat until next year.

4. Noah

I saw there was a rumor today about the Magic discussing Dragic with the Heat. That’s not surprising, really, but if it were going to happen what would the Magic have to give up? Who do you think the Magic end up trading for? I know you guys usually refer to Steve Kyler for trade questions but he’s pretty vague usually so I was just wondering if you have thoughts/opinions

• Cody Taylor

I addressed the Magic’s situation for the trade deadline in an earlier question, so I’ll bring back what I said there and then address Dragic.

The problem is it seems likely teams calling would want Aaron Gordon and it’s going to take a huge offer for the Magic to part ways with him and teams may not be willing to do so. What other players on the team would teams realistically want? No other players on the team are going to return the Magic anything substantial to help them win now so the Magic appear to be in a tough spot right now.

To be honest, I really don’t know what the Magic can do at the deadline that won’t severely wreck what’s left of their talent pool. Do you trade Gordon for Dragic? Probably not. I saw someone say on Twitter earlier that the Magic haven’t necessarily made the best trade decisions recently so if you’re a Magic fan you really have to hope they don’t make another questionable move.

In my opinion, Gordon is the most untradeable asset they have unless someone offers up something crazy for him (which is unlikely). After that, you probably look at moving anyone if it meant the right return but I don’t trade someone for the sake of trading them. Payton I think is in that next tier of talent you really don’t want to move but would consider it. After those two, anyone should be fair game.

5. Cody Taylor

Looks like that’s it for today! Thanks for joining me again. Let’s do it again next Friday at 1 p.m. EST. Hit me on Twitter with anything else that can’t wait: @CodyTaylorNBA

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com