NBA Chat with Cody Taylor 1/27/17

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Cody_Taylor_ChatBasketball Insiders writer Cody Taylor will hold his weekly chat at 1 p.m. EST on Friday. Leave him your questions on the All-Star rosters, the trade deadline or anything else about your favorite team.

1. Luke

Seen an interesting question asked during bulls game tonight. With the bulls having issues at point guard why don’t the bulls play Jimmy at the point and adjust sf position or look at trading for a sf? It just doesn’t seem like there are many point guards that can shoot on the open market.

• Cody Taylor

Welcome in, everyone! Let’s get started!

As bad it seems to be going to the Bulls at point guard, that discussion may not be all that far off. Butler has previously said that he’d love to play the point so I imagine that’s probably something that could be discussed. You have to figure out if it would be easier to fill the 1 with another replacement or a 3 if you put Butler at the 1. At this point, what’s the worst that could happen? I’m all for point Butler!

2. Virgil

Is it possible that all the complaining coming from Wade Melo and James is contrived to get them together somewhere LA possibly? I know from Melo side the team wants to get rid of him and from James he is making his excuse to leave again but what about Wade? Is he at a player option? I could see Melo traded to Clips and Wade and James signing as FA, but i would think they would be better off in the East so they could battle GS in the finals . WHat do you think?

• Cody Taylor

I figured I’d get some sort of question like this today. I don’t know. I’m not sure what these guys are thinking. I don’t think LeBron leaves anytime soon. I think him demanding more help through the media is him overreacting a little bit to the Warriors and Kevin Durant. Plus, when you factor in that blowout loss they suffered to the Warriors the other week, I think the Cavs might be a little nervous. I don’t think he’s trying to position his way out of Cleveland.

Wade has a player option for next season so it’s possible he just waits until the offseason to leave.

3. Aristotle

Hey Cody,

With so much trade talk on Melo, and how NYK wouldn’t even request one of CP3, DJ, or Blake if a deal is done with LAC…wouldn’t the Rockets be an option with pieces like Gordon, Ariza, Dekker, or McDaniels for example, or even Memphis with a Melo for Parsons? He wants a playoff team, and I think he could fit in both systems.

• Cody Taylor

The problem is – Melo doesn’t want to move out of NYC. Would he want to live in Houston? Memphis? Probably not. Also, with as good as Houston has been this season, why would they break up their chemistry to add Melo? He doesn’t seem like a good fit in that offense so I don’t think that’s an option. It feels like Memphis likes what they have and also wouldn’t want to break that up to add Melo. There may not realistically be a whole lot of destinations for Melo at this point.

4. JimInCyberspace

Cody,

Enes Kanter’s forearm fracture…how unfortunate for him and the Thunder. What does this mean for OKC’s PO hopes, do they fall into the lottery?

Some will say it was a bonehead thing to do (and it probably was) but a lot of players lash out in frustration in the heat of things? Granted, they were playing a shorthanded Dallas team and he should’ve known Russ would take care of things at the end? In Russ We Trust.

I actually like Kanter. He’s a terror on the offensive glass with a short range touch….plays the post very nicely with below the rim nifty footwork not often seen in todays game. His D isn’t as atrocious as it used to be either.

I guess this means King Joffrey gets more burn with the Thunder now? Sabonis, with his impressive pedigree and potential is still a rookie and in keeping with NBA tradition tends to get whistled for any foul he’s within the general vicinity of. 😉

• Cody Taylor

It’s difficult to imagine the Thunder fall out of the playoff race at this point considering they have an 8-game lead on the ninth-placed team. Of course, anything is possible but I wouldn’t imagine that being the case. That doesn’t take away from the fact that Kanter has been so valuable in the second unit. He creates a lot of matchup problems with teams and was a big part of their offense. His presence will be missed. I’d imagine he could have a redo he wouldn’t hit the chair but these things happen. I wouldn’t be ready to hit the panic button just yet if I’m the Thunder.

5. Dave

What value does Okafor have around the league? I have a hard time finding a team that I think would want to trade for him. Would the Nets take a chance on him? Is Okafor for LeVert fair or am I not valuing Okafor high enough?

• Cody Taylor

If you’re the Sixers I don’t think you should be ready to make a trade yet. I think a trade will eventually happen to clean up that frontcourt with Okafor, Noel and Embiid all there. I’ve heard Noel is the likely player to be traded at some point. If that happens, I’d probably hang onto Okafor because I don’t think he’s highly valued around the league and the 76ers probably wouldn’t get that much for him. Teams would probably take a chance on him but in the case of the Nets, I’m not sure they let go of LeVert.

6. cj

what do you think about these trades
    sayin he waives his NTC
    crabbe, plumlee, & a 1st for b.lopez
    then leonard, layman, & a 2nd for faried

sayin he waives his NTC
    melo, kuzmingas, holiday, & a 2nd for crowder, bradley, johnson, & 2 1st’s

• Cody Taylor

I don’t hate the idea of the POR-BKN trade to bring in Lopez. The Nets probably don’t want Plumlee since they’ve already had him and traded him there. I don’t like giving up that much for Faried. I’m not a huge Faried fan so don’t think that’s a good deal plus I don’t know Denver goes for that.

It’s tough to gauge the market for Melo but if I’m Boston there’s no way I make that trade. That’s wayyyyyyy (and add 10 more y’s to that) too much to give up for Melo. I wouldn’t even give up the two first-round picks alone for Melo let alone those picks plus the rest of those players.

7. Cody Taylor

Looks like that’s it for this week. Thanks for joining me. Join me again next week at 1 p.m. EST. For all those questions that can’t wait, hit me on Twitter @CodyTaylorNBA.