NBA Chat with Cody Taylor 2/10/17

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Cody_Taylor_ChatBasketball Insiders writer Cody Taylor will hold his weekly chat at 1 p.m. EST on Friday. Leave him your questions on the trade deadline, June’s draft, March Madness or anything else about your favorite team.

1. Raphael de Aguiar Brandão

Hi Cody, is there any rumor about Los Angeles Lakers or any possibility the team trade any veterans before deadline???

• Cody Taylor

Welcome in, everyone! The trade season is upon us. Let’s get right to the latest chatter!

While the players and coaching staff may not admit that, you have to believe the front office is looking at that possibility. There is so much riding on the Lakers’ draft pick this season that they absolutely need to position themselves to get the best chance to keep that pick. Remember: if it falls outside of the top three, then it is conveyed to the 76ers.

With the top of this year’s draft looking as stacked as ever, it’s vital the Lakers give themselves the best chance possible to keep that pick. It’s also important to keep in mind that if they lose that pick then they also convey their 2019 first-round pick to the Magic as well. The Lakers could lose two out of their next three first-round picks and that would be a huge blow to their rebuild.

If I’m another team, I’m absolutely calling about Lou Williams, Luol Deng and Nick Young especially if I’m in need of additional help for the playoffs. The Hornets need a backup point guard, how great would Lou Williams help them right now?

2. cj

what do you think of this trade
    CLE gets c.anthony, c.lee, & k.quinn
    DET gets k.love, i.shumpert, & MW TE
    NYK gets t.harris, m.morris, & a.baynes

then this trade would follow
    DET gets t.thompson, j.clarkson, b.ingram, & a 1st round pick from LAL
    CLE gets t.mozgov & d.russell
    LAL gets r.jackson, a.drummond, & r.jefferson

• Cody Taylor

I’m in the group that doesn’t think the Cavaliers should trade Love. My question is, Does Melo really make them better than they would be by keeping Love? The answer is no.

We know Melo is a ball-stopper and won’t help with moving the ball any. We know Love is capable of impacting the game in so many different ways that Melo won’t.

That is my issue with the first trade offer, then the second is highly unlikely. First of all, I don’t think the Pistons are in the market to trade Jackson and Drummond, let alone Drummond by himself. The Lakers have committed themselves to rebuilding through the draft and are not trading Russell. The Cavaliers already traded Mozgov once, why would they want to bring him back on that monster deal?

3. JimInCyberspace

Cody,

I’m really looking forward to KD’s return to OKC as a foe primetime Saturday Night NBA TV, aren’t you? OKC will no doubt show a highlight video of his highlights as a former Thunder’er in typical Thunder fashion. How it and he are received is a much anticipated ? mark.

I hope the fans remain seated, silent and respectful during the video. KD”s former Brick town restaurant has been re-branded the “Legacy Grill” fittingly.

Getting his ass chewed by Draymond Green with the crew winking and nodding, yep! Maybe KD needs to be dressed down by a teammate on TV once in awhile, he doesn’t appear to be an Alpha type guy. He’s no doubt a fit with his new team in an apropos sort of way. A 3-1 finals lead is historically hard to lose, conference or league. 😉

• Cody Taylor

I think he is absolutely going to get destroyed by that crowd tomorrow night … and I can’t wait for the game. I was at the Magic game when Dwight Howard returned for the first time with the Lakers and imagine Durant’s reception is going to be much worse than Howard’s was. Crowds in Orlando are not typically as loud as we’ve heard the crowds in OKC get so I imagine Durant is definitely going to hear it tomorrow night.

4. Deven

Why is Phil Jackson acting the way he is?

• Cody Taylor

He wants to get rid of Carmelo and his actions recently indicate he’s ready to do anything possible in order to make that happen. It’s a game of who will blink first and it looks like Melo is fully committing to ensure that he’s the last one standing in New York.

5. Peter

Rumor has it that the Celtics are inquiring about Jimmy Butler and Paul George who, in my opinion, is far better. I saw Butler about a week ago fail to drive pass a defender late in the game.
    George is the opposite. Setting up his defender and shooting without much resistance.
    Question, Can the Celtics get George without trading that nets pick this year. Perhaps next years Net pick will satisfy the Pacers.

• Cody Taylor

It’s easy to pick out one specific play in an entire game and say, ‘This is why I don’t like this guy.’ If you look at a side-by-side comparison of the two, it’s crazy how similar their numbers are:

George: 22.5 points, 6.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.7 steals. FG %: 45.1. 3P%: 38.3.
      Butler: 24.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.8 steals. FG %: 45.8. 3P%: 35.3.

After the Pacers have started to figure things out here as of late, I don’t see a scenario in which they entertain trading George. It’d also be tough for the Bulls to trade Butler as well. If I’m the Pacers, I don’t think there is anything the Celtics have that convince me to trade George. He’s one of the best players in the league on both ends of the floor. You’d be trading a lot in George for some unknown younger players or draft picks.

6. eat bulaga na

do u think the lakers should just sell the team to magic , kobe and shaq? do u buy the news about kupchak is not a effective gm anymore?

• Cody Taylor

I think it’s easy to see the Lakers’ record and start pointing fingers at who is to blame. While fans want to see their team winning, I think you have to look at the future and have hope. I know a lot of Lakers fans want to start trading players to bring in some big names but the reality is that isn’t what they’re trying to do.

Head coach Luke Walton has indicated they want to build through the draft and develop these young guys. If that’s the direction the team wants to go, they need to stay committed to it. The Magic bailed on their rebuilding effort this year and we’re seeing how badly that has turned out. The Lakers must buy into it and stay on track.

I think the Lakers’ front office has done a good job to this point and there is no reason to doubt what they’re doing, in my opinion. If they can manage to keep this year’s draft pick then it’s really going to help the rebuilding effort.

7. eat bulaga na

should d lakers trade the vets this coming trade deadline? or maybe some of the young ones like clarkson?

• Cody Taylor

I was asked that same question earlier in my chat, so I will paste my answer here:

While the players and coaching staff may not admit they’re tanking for a better draft pick, you have to believe the front office is looking at that possibility. There is so much riding on the Lakers’ draft pick this season that they absolutely need to position themselves to get the best chance to keep that pick. Remember: if it falls outside of the top three, then it is conveyed to the 76ers.

With the top of this year’s draft looking as stacked as ever, it’s vital the Lakers give themselves the best chance possible to keep that pick. It’s also important to keep in mind that if they lose that pick then they also convey their 2019 first-round pick to the Magic as well. The Lakers could lose two out of their next three first-round picks and that would be a huge blow to their rebuild.

If I’m another team, I’m absolutely calling about Lou Williams, Luol Deng and Nick Young especially if I’m in need of additional help for the playoffs. The Hornets need a backup point guard, how great would Lou Williams help them right now?

8. keeweekid

Always a lot of trade talk right now but usually fizzles out. Do you think this is more (on the GM’s part) due to not the right trades or being risk adverse? If they make a trade that goes wrong, they are in the crosshairs. If they stay the course and things go wrong, seemingly players and or coach gets the blowback from fans.

• Cody Taylor

We see this happen every year around this time. Rumors begin to surface and most of them don’t pan out. Teams will leak things to gauge the interest out there and let other teams know what’s going on. I think teams are always aware that a potential deal could fall through – as is the case with any roster move that is made. It’s the risk and reward factor that comes in but teams also know you have to sometimes make a bold move in order to make a run.

9. keeweekid

what do you make of the Miami Heat, that were proud owners of an 11-30 record now having run off 12 wins in a row?

• Cody Taylor

I think it’s outstanding. Coming into the season, I wrote that the HEAT could be a playoff team and that prediction isn’t looking too bad right now. Granted, about a month ago I looked crazy for saying that but now they’re beginning to play the way a lot of people predicted they would play.

They’ve basically gone from a team that was looking at selling off some pieces on the roster at the trade deadline to looking for some additional help. I touched on the HEAT this morning in my Southeast Division trade preview. Give it a read if you can.

10. Deven

You know, everytime I watch Crunchtime on NBATV and the Mavericks are being shown, they always seem to make a comeback, particularly at home and sometimes on the road, every single time I watch the final minutes of the game and they end up winning. How do they do that?

• Cody Taylor

The Mavs have really hit another gear lately. They’re almost like the HEAT in the sense that they’ve completely turned their season around. Granted, the HEAT have won 12 straight but you get what I’m saying.

At one point, the Mavs were 11-27 but have since gone 10-5. They’re now just 2.5 games out of the last playoff spot. How about Yogi Ferrell, too? I have Yogi mania, do you?

11. Bryan Young

Any chance the HEAT trade Dragic for a top pick?

• Cody Taylor

I think if you asked me that question a month ago, I say it’s possible. Now, I doubt it. They’ve won 12 straight and now sit just two games back of the last playoff spot in the East. It seems like they’re more likely to seek some additional help for this playoff run. Serge Ibaka? I wrote in more detail about the HEAT this morning. Give it a look if you can.

12. Craig

Is there any real chance the Lakers can get rid of Deng or Mozgov, or is that a task for whoever is GM in 2019?

• Cody Taylor

It doesn’t sound likely they’d be able to find a team to take on either of those contracts but it’s probably something they’ve tried to do.

There is so much riding on the Lakers’ draft pick this season that they absolutely need to position themselves to get the best chance to keep that pick. Trading some of those vets off of the roster would help with that tremendously.

13. Cody Taylor

That’s all the time I have for this week. Be sure to join me next week at 1 p.m. EST as we get closer to the trade deadline. For all of those questions that can’t wait, hit me on Twitter, @CodyTaylorNBA.

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com