Advertisement

NBA Chat with Cody Taylor 3/10/17

Cody_Taylor_ChatBasketball Insiders writer Cody Taylor will hold his weekly chat at 1 p.m. EST on Friday. Leave him your questions on the playoffs, June’s draft, March Madness or anything else about your favorite team.

1. Doofi Johonn

Hi Cody! Keep up the great work!

So Vogel finally decided to put Gordon to the 4 and with Ross, the line-up looks much more balanced.
    Who to target now in the Draft? A PG like Ball, Smith JR or a wing to play alongside Gordon like Josh Jackson? I guess, if we win the lottery, our choice has to be Fultz.
    What is your take on the draft?

• Cody Taylor

Welcome in, everyone. Thanks for joining me this week. Let’s get right to it!

It’s amazing to see Gordon at the four now, right? It’s like we’ve all been saying they should do that. I think they absolutely have to go for a guard … and a guard that can shoot.

Let’s say they land where they’re projected to go in the draft around the 4 or 5 spot. Obviously, if they go higher, you look at Fultz or Ball. I’d go Dennis Smith Jr. at 4. I think he’d be a great fit with the Magic and they need a guy that can score. What about a Malik Monk?

On the other side of that, I really like Jayson Tatum too. He’s playing really well right now. I’m also fascinated by Isaac and his skillset at that size. Can the Magic take all of them? Anyways, I still go scoring guard here. They need scoring.

2. JimInCyberspace

Cody,

Is Embiid injury prone? Simmons can’t play either…maybe it’s just Colangelo extending the process?

• Cody Taylor

I don’t think so. I’ve been told keeping him out for the rest of the year is precautionary. They don’t need him out there and you don’t want to risk anything else.

You almost have to think his knee injury is directly related to rehabbing his foot. When you’re rehabbing a foot like that, you’re putting additional pressure on your knees and the other foot as well. Hopefully, it’s nothing too serious.

3. JK

The Wolves are playing like the team most thought at the start of the year. They are 19-18 since December 13 and they are 14-11 in their last 25. Their point differential is 14th best in the NBA. Towns, Wiggins and Rubio have been playing great. Wiggins and Towns have had scored 20 points in 19 and 16 straight games respectively. Are the Wolves the biggest threat to Denver for the 8th seed? HAve they turned the corner? Are you starting to realize Ricky Rubio is way better than you give him credit for? Based on your comments in the past, you view him no more than a decent backup. You don’t think he is on a level with guys like Schroder, Payton, Mudiay, Russell, Exum, etc. At least you think those guys will all surpass what Rubio is now. Are you changing your mind cause that’s pretty crazy talk?

• Cody Taylor

First off, let’s all be happy the Wolves are playing better. I’m tired of getting asked if they’re underperforming (which I don’t think they are). I didn’t think they’d be a playoff team this year, I still think that will be more likely next season and beyond.

Of course, being where they are now they certainly have a chance. I would still put the Blazers and Mavs at higher odds to grab that 8th spot over the Wolves. Those teams are more experienced and have some proven players on their teams.

As for Rubio, I get that you’re a fan of his. I get it. I still wouldn’t put him over the likes of Payton, Mudiay, Russell, etc. For now, we can agree to disagree 🙂

4. Chris G

Hi, Cody. I’ve heard it said many times that the worst place for a team to be is .500–you’re too good to get a high lottery pick, and not good enough to contend. But is that really the case? If you’re a free agent, and two teams have a max slot available: one is a .500 team that just made it into the playoffs and the other is the team with the worst record and got the #1 overall pick, aren’t you closer to contending by joining a team that’s already a playoff team than joining one that’s essentially starting from scratch? I remember in 2000 the Bulls and Magic both had a lot of cap space, but the Magic were .500 and the Bulls were near the bottom of the league–the Magic got Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady as free agents, the Bulls got Ron Mercer.

• Cody Taylor

Well, let’s look at it. Those two teams as you point out are a perfect example. The Bulls are the 8th seed right now and the Magic are flirting with a top-five pick. Let’s say for the sake of conversation the Bulls stay as the 8th seed and the Magic get the fourth pick. Which team would you rather be?

I think we can agree the Bulls will be likely swept in four games by the Cavs, meanwhile the Magic are looking at taking Dennis Smith Jr., Jayson Tatum, etc. On the one hand, it’s cool to make the playoffs and it’s a good selling point to fans and free agents, but it’s obvious the Bulls need other help. We’ve seen how the top free agents opt to sign with real contenders – not fringe playoff teams. You’re taking a huge gamble on trying to sign one of those top free agents. We’ve seen in the past how a big-name team has missed out on free agents.

But on the other hand, wouldn’t it be better in the long-term to get a young, promising player? Sure, you’re taking a gamble on their potential and how they’ll turn out, but it seems like a better bet than trying to sign a top free agent.

5. JK

What kind of chance do you give Towns to give Thibs his 2nd 22 year old MVP? I know the Wolves will have to win a lot next year, but Towns is going for about 27 ppg, 13 rpg and 3 apg since January 1 and the Wolves are much better. He’s over 55% field, 35% from downtown and shoots 85% from the line since then too. He actually has 5 double doubles in his last 6 halves. That’s crazy. He didn’t even get a mention for the all-star team which show how good the west players have been. He wasn’t even in the conversation to make the team and he averages 24 and 12. He doesn’t even turn 22 until after the start of next season. I might have to say his chance of the MVP might be around 15%. What do you think? What do you think his odds are of even making the all-star game? I put his chances at 90%.

• Cody Taylor

I’d have to agree with you on the 15 percent and maybe even say smaller. While his averages of 24, 12, 3 and 1.5 are nice, he’d have to put up even better numbers than that next year. As you mentioned, they’d have to win as well. Like, a lot.

If they win a lot of games next year, it’ll go a long way in helping him earn the Coaches’ vote for the All-Star Game, unless he can get enough fan votes which I don’t think would happen. I’d have to go 50 percent on the ASG.

6. Richard

Will Cody Taylor ever do this chat session?

• Cody Taylor

Funny! I had some things come up last week and had to reschedule. I’m here … and chatting. Ask me something. I might answer it.

7. Gazarden

Was trading a pick worth it for washington to get bojan bogdanovic. Isnt this draft loaded.

• Cody Taylor

I think so. When you look at the makeup of the Wizards, they really are not afforded many minutes for rookies to be able to come in and make an impact. Bogdanovic is a little bit more proven and has shown to be a good addition thus far.

8. keeweekid

First reactions were that Pelicans won the Cousins trade BIG.
    Now after a few weeks, seemingly mood may have switched to the Kings having slightly won the deal as Pelicans have barely won with Cousins and the Kings…well they are still the Kings but at least they have draft picks.

What is your evaluation of the trade now seeing how both teams are playing and do you think the Pelicans can turn it around or are they destined to be play sub .500 ball with Cousins as well?

• Cody Taylor

It hasn’t been very many games with Cousins in NO. All parties involved said it was going to take some time to get things going. He’s still trying to figure out his role and when to take shots and when to pass. He hasn’t had such another great option like Davis so you have to figure there’s a learning curve there.

9. George

Cody!:

Kings fan here. Feeling good abt the DMC trade. The team is passing, playing team ball, not crying to the refs, etc. and DMC is not helping the Pels in anyway whatsoever.

Thoughts?

• Cody Taylor

I was just asked about the trade. I still think it may be too early to really tell who won the trade. At the end of the day, the Kings lost an All-Star so I still have to believe they got the short end of the stick.

It hasn’t been very many games with Cousins in NO. All parties involved said it was going to take some time to get things going. He’s still trying to figure out his role and when to take shots and when to pass. He hasn’t had such another great option like Davis so you have to figure there’s a learning curve there.

10. Cody Taylor

That’s it for this week! Be sure to catch me again next Friday at 1 p.m.