NBA Chat With Jabari Davis 1/29/17

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Join Basketball Insiders writer Jabari Davis for his weekly NBA Chat session this Sunday at 1 p.m. EST.  Be sure to add your questions and basketball topics or questions in advance!

1. Deven

What I love and respect about Kawhi’s game is after a very exciting play, he has no antics. Has he always been that focused? He makes some great plays, he can go crazy, make faces at the camera, but he’s always laser-focused and is always solid. Where did that come from?

• Jabari Davis

Hey folks, as always, I appreciate you being able to join for these chats. I’ll have to keep them on Sundays for now, but will try to maintain the 10a starts for some continuity. Let’s have some fun…

Hey Deven, thanks for kicking things off for us this week. Kawhi is one of my favorite players to watch. Love his approach, evolving game and overall demeanor. He had the same “no-nonsense” style back at San Diego State. I’m not so much into the “he plays the game the right way” stuff, because plenty of other players have been successful with differing approaches, but I absolutely appreciate that he stays true to himself. You never get the feeling that he is outside of his comfort zone and to a certain degree I simply appreciate anyone that can do that. Especially WITH fame AND incredible talent.

2. TMR

Does a Clarkson for Noel (with filler as needed) make sense for both teams? 76ers get backcourt scorer they have been seeking, and Lakers get athletic, rim protecting big man to add to young core.

• Jabari Davis

Hey TMR, thanks for joining this week. I suppose the question really is whether you (if you’re the Lakers) have seen enough from Noel to make you believe he can not only continue to improve on both ends of the court, but whether you believe he will be healthy enough to warrant giving him the going rate of young big men on their second deal ($80-100 million range)? Keeping in mind Randle will be up for a big raise within a year. Personally, I would see what Zubac can show over the second half of the year before bringing in another big man when you already have Mozgov there making all that money as well. From the limited action we’ve seen so far, he looks like a real player and he won’t turn 20 until March.

3. Virgil

Is it possible that all the complaining coming from Wade Melo and James is contrived to get them together somewhere LA possibly? I know from Melo side the team wants to get rid of him and from James he is making his excuse to leave again but what about Wade? Is he at a player option? I could see Melo traded to Clips and Wade and James signing as FA, but i would think they would be better off in the East so they could battle GS in the finals . WHat do you think?

• Jabari Davis

The trouble with this is, how would the Clippers sign them as free agents? They wouldn’t have any cap space. I do see the dots you were trying to connect, but I don’t think it is some big plot. I just think Melo is in a bad situation in New York while Wade is clearly in a bad mix there in Chicago. Just so happens that both want out at the same time. I actually called the Chicago thing and said I wouldn’t be shocked to see Wade looking to move on if things didn’t go well during several conversations (podcasts and radio shows) last summer. Never understood how that mix was going to work. I think Melo makes the most sense with the Clippers, Celtics or even the Wizards. Not sure what to think about Wade, because unless he’s traded to Cleveland, I’m not sure of another contender he would make much sense for at this stage.

4. Park Barkley

What’s good Jabari (I really want to know)?
    Can the Lakers do a deal with Philly to increase their odds of keeping their pick this year? Something like unprotecting their pick for #1, but getting protection for any where else in the lottery. That would probably help Philly since if they don’t get #1, next year’s pick is unprotected. It would also help the Lakers, because if they keep this years pick, they give Orlando a 2nd instead of 2 #1s. Obviously it’s bad for Orlando.

• Jabari Davis

Hey PB, thanks a lot for joining this week. I am FAR from an expert on the cap and the stipulations of deals like that (highly recommend Larry Coon and Eric Pincus when it comes to that stuff), but I do not believe that would be legal. Also, why would Philly want to help the Lakers keep the higher pick? This draft is said to have as many as 12-15 impact players, so if I’m Philly there is no chance I’m actively trading out of that opportunity.

5. JimInCyberspace

JD, are you a sneaker freak?

My wife says I spend too much cash on kicks and already have a collection I can’t possibly wear out.
    True…but that’s not the point.

Do you have this problem with your ol’ lady? Shoes make the man!

I’m a Converse/Air Jordan type guy. The Dr. J Pro Leather and Jordan 11’s are favorites. My “everyday” shod’s are low top Chuck Taylor II’s for practical reasons however. What do you wear?

• Jabari Davis

My man, Jim. Good to have you back. While I’m definitely not a sneaker freak anymore (worked for Foot Locker for a couple years back in the day…got it ALL out of my system, I do still appreciate nice kicks. Right now, I’m generally rotating between a pair of Air Max’s and some old school Uptempos. May be in the market for a new pair sometimes soon…so I will keep you posted!

6. Branden

Does Denver have a shot at landing any sort of free agent anytime soon? I am sad because the new CBA favors a player staying and resigning where they are currently at. Denver is a young team on the rise. Jokic has to be viewed as a guy that people want to play with particularly moving forward. Mudiay has proven that he can create shots and his 3 point shooting has improved although his shooting needs to get better still. Murray has shown evidence of not only being a good shooter but has had some really impressive drives, setbacks, etc. that took me off guard. I say all this because I can see the potential but I can also tell that they do need a star. Someone like Hayward would be ideal but I can’t envision him leaving Utah with what they have brewing there. I guess I am asking for your take on the future of the Nuggets specifically in terms of free agency. Last thing, I know that Denver is a mid-market team and has never really landed an impressive free agent since like, Alex English haha. Help me believe in their future! I keep convincing myself it is bright but… Anyway, I digress.

• Jabari Davis

Alright Branden, I will do my best…even though Denver remains a mid-market team and the likelihood of them signing a “big” free agent isn’t all that high, they are actually in good company with a majority of the rest of the league. The new terms of the CBA make it less likely that players will move around via free agency due to the amount of money they would potentially be walking away from. What I anticipate happening is players and agents deciding to sign deals with every intention of pushing for a trade to a more desirable location if things don’t improve in their current situations. The players sacrificed some of their leverage on the front end for a considerably larger payout on the back end, and I can’t say that I blame them. It will just make it more difficult for them to dictate exactly where they want to go and when they want to go.

ALL of that to say, if Denver continues to play well and Jokic (get healthy PLEASE) takes another step over the second half of the year, I think Denver will be in a position to potentially acquire guys this summer and into the next season by utilizing some of the other assets they have on the roster. They have several guys that could realistically be moved if the right opportunity were to present itself.

• Jabari Davis

Alright Branden, I will do my best…even though Denver remains a mid-market team and the likelihood of them signing a “big” free agent isn’t all that high, they are actually in good company with a majority of the rest of the league. The new terms of the CBA make it less likely that players will move around via free agency due to the amount of money they would potentially be walking away from. What I anticipate happening is players and agents deciding to sign deals with every intention of pushing for a trade to a more desirable location if things don’t improve in their current situations. The players sacrificed some of their leverage on the front end for a considerably larger payout on the back end, and I can’t say that I blame them. It will just make it more difficult for them to dictate exactly where they want to go and when they want to go.

ALL of that to say, if Denver continues to play well and Jokic (get healthy PLEASE) takes another step over the second half of the year, I think Denver will be in a position to potentially acquire guys this summer and into the next season by utilizing some of the other assets they have on the roster. They have several guys that could realistically be moved if the right opportunity were to present itself.

7. Newmarket Brian

Hi Jabari:

I’d like to see my Toronto Raptors get a little nastier; harder to play against.
    Do you think this trade would help both teams:
    Raptors get P.J. Tucker
    Suns get Cory Joseph
    The money works. Your thoughts please.

• Jabari Davis

Thanks for bringing some Raptor love into the mix this week, Brian. Only thing is, while I agree with the idea of grabbing some dirty work players that can defend scorers and playmakers for the playoff run, I don’t know that Phoenix would have any interest in Corey Joseph. They are already heavy at the guard position and (probably) looking to move Brandon Knight already. Not sure if Dallas would be any more willing to deal with you, but a guy like Justin Anderson could definitely fit that mold as well. Portland also has several guys that have length and athleticism as well. Raps could have some options, but it will also depend on what they are willing to part ways with. Corey Joseph is a solid guy, but I’m not sure you will get what you need from offering him in a deal. Ujiri is pretty darn good at what he does, so I’m intrigued to see what he comes up with.

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com