Advertisement

NBA Chat With Tommy Beer 3/13/17

Join Basketball Insiders Senior NBA Writer Tommy Beer for a chat session on Monday at 2:00 p.m. EST.

Submit all of your NBA-related questions now!

1. Collin

I seen an article of steves earlier talking about around 6 gms on the hot seat this offseason. Who do you think is ok the hottest of seats and who do you think is going to get fired? Also, I’m a hawks fan and I love bud the coach, but bud the executive is making me think that he’ll cost bud the coach his job a couple years down the line. Thoughts?

• Tommy Beer

I think Rob Hennigan of the Magic sits on the hottest seat possible. Looking at the deals the Magic have made over the last few years and how the Orlando roster looks today as a result, it hard to imagine that he isn’t fired after the season. The Magic books are a mess and it’s hard to chart a course where they become a legit contender anytime soon.

One GM that os also facing an important offseason is Phil Jackson in New York. He needs to make some shrewd moves this summer.

2. Vernon

College Question – who you got cutting the nets down??

• Tommy Beer

I’ll go with Kentucky.
      Yes, they have an extremely tough draw, starting with a second-round game possibly against Wichita St., then ULCA and UNC in the same weekend… But I think they have the talent to make it happen.

My Final Four is Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona and Villanova.

3. Vernon

Have any any NCAA prospects jumped out at you heading into the tourney? Anybody us Knicks fans should keep an eye on??

• Tommy Beer

Speaking of Kentucky, both their starting PG De’Arron Fox and starting SG Malik Monk are both expected to be taken in the top 8-10 picks, which is where right in the Knicks territory. (if the season ended today, the Knicks would have the 7th worst record in the NBA).

Point guard is by the Knicks most pressing concern. Although Monk is projected to go ahead of Fox in many mock drafts, Fox is the player that is more directly suit to address the Knicks needs. The issue with Fox is his outside shooting. He is a good defender and has a great handle and ability to get into the paint at will. The big question is whether or not he can develop into a good enough shooter to make NBA defenses respect his jumper enough to open up driving lanes.

Monk is more of an undersized combo guard. Incredibly athletic and lethal on the break, but not a playmaker. Sometimes those types of players have a tough time making the transition in the NBA.

Of course Lonzo Ball will put his skills on display in the big dance as well, but the Knicks won’t have a crack at him unless they get very lucky in the lottery and win a top-3 pick…

4. Hedobo

Why is carmelo anthony always complaining about his team. He had a chance to play for a suoerstar coach tom thibadou in chicago or go to la with chris paul.but he didnt want to be traded Maybe if he couldbt stare at refs all the time and box out it would help.

• Tommy Beer

Melo has put forth some very lackadaisical efforts of late. Yes, it’s tough to remain super-focused when your team is all but eliminated from the postseason, but you are being paid a huge amount of money. It’s incumbent upon the player to find the motivation.

And, yes, he had the opportunity to join a team that was much closer to a title than the Knicks. It will be interesting to see wheat he says when he steps away from the game and has a few years to look back on everything that took place.

Incredible that Melo made the postseason every year of his career in Denver, but will now miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season in NY. Unbelievable

5. curious jack

whats your take on the ownership drama in los angeles and what about the young players, should fans be excited?

• Tommy Beer

I’m too far removed to have an educated opinion on the drama between the Buss family out in L.A., but I will say I think the hiring of Rob Pelinka was smart and that the Lakers are set up well for success.

One question that could be asked: Did they wait one year too long to make the change. If Mitch and company weren’t calling the shots last summer and didn’t feel the same pressure to show immediate improvement – would they have avoided signing Mozgov and Deng to those terrible contracts. The fact that those guys are already racking up DNP-CD’s and still have 3 years left on their deals… man, that tough to swallow.

6. Marvelous

Hi Tommy!!

Everyone says the Knicks’ problem is defense and not offense – and I agree their defense is terrible!!!!!

But their offense is so laborious, (it reminds me of a lumbering elephant running through the jungle). It requires so much effort and energy for them to score. Could it be that this takes away from their physical and mental energy to play defense? Or at least part of the problem?

Doesn’t bringing in a host of new players next year just compounds things, if they plan on using that darn dinosaur triangle again that takes forever to learn?

Do you think Carmelo would make a good Sixth Man as he starts to get older? Like in the next year or two?LOL

• Tommy Beer

Hey Marv,

Agreed, the worst part of the focus on the Triangle is that it distracts from the fact that the Knicks defense continues to stink.

The Knicks are scoring 105 points per 100 possesions this season – that’s ranks 16th in the NBA, right in the middle of the pack.

However, they are allowing 108.8 points per 100 possessions – 26th in the league.

In fact, dating back to Feb. 2, the Knicks are allowing 112.0 points per 100 possessions. That’s 29th in the NBA. (Shockingly, the only team with a worse defensive rating over that stretch is the Cavs. – which means Cleveland needs to tighten up it’s defense prior to the postseason.)

But back to the Knicks – yes, they need to modernize their offense. If they draft and sign FA’s based on who fits the Triangle best, the Knicks will be set back even further as a franchise.

7. Kriss

who should win Rookie of the year? Should Embiid get it??

• Tommy Beer

Nah, I can’t give it to Embiid. He was awesome if the game he played, but he appeared in just 31 games this season.

Based on his player all season, and especially over the last couple of months, Dario Saric is the clear-cut winner in my opinion. Over the Sixers last 15 games, dating back to February 8th, Dario Saric is averaging 20.0 points, 8.1 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.7 treys. In fact, over that five-week stretch, Saric is one of only of four players averaging at least 20 points, eight rebounds, three assists and one 3-pointer per game. The other three are LeBron James, DeMarcus Cousins and Russell Westbrook.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week

Thanks,
      T