NBA Rumors Chat With Steve Kyler 7/14/14

Steve_Kyler_Chat_InsidersBasketball Insiders Publisher Steve Kyler will hold his weekly chat at 4:30pm EST from the 2014 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Drop in your questions regarding NBA trades, the NBA Draft, roster moves or questions about your team.

1. Eli

Is there anything stopping let’s say Kevin Love from say publicly he won’t sign an extension with any team other than Cleveland – thereby torpedoing his trade value but also allowing Cleveland to keep more assets and players and maybe even keep Wiggins? After all, if he’s going to Cleveland, he’ll want those players on his team

Thanks

• Steve Kyler

Welcome in everyone… Vegas is well underway and things have been a little crazy, but there are lots of things to get to, so lets get after it.

No, however having talked to some people involved in the process I don’t think Kevin is ready to commit to anything. I think like Carmelo and maybe even LeBron, he wants to choose his next situation and capitalize on his next deal.

Equally, Minnesota going to do whats in their best interest independent of Kevin. They seem more than willing to let thing play out to the deadline if they can’t get what they want for him.

2. Deven

Is Chris Bosh really worth $118 million to the HEAT? I think it was stupid for him to stay in Miami rather than come to the Rockets (A title contender!!!) when it was believed all along that he would leave Miami because Lebron was no longer there. Thoughts? You agree with me or not?

• Steve Kyler

First — worth? I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who believes athletes are “worth” what they get.

I will say the market got set by Houston and Miami either paid Bosh or lost him for nothing. As for your mistake comment, I wouldn’t say a guy staying where he was happy, healthy and productive is a mistake. He did basically what LeBron did, choose his team based on comfort and lifestyle than chasing a ring.

There were a lot of teams offering Bosh MAX level money, so Miami just gave him the fifth year.

3. Deven

Just how effective can D-Wade be these next however many years?

• Steve Kyler

I think that’s the $60 million question. I think like all aging or diminishing players you have to be measured in what you expect. I think Wade is still a 17 point a game guy that plays 60-65 games a year. I think his numbers will go up a little because of how much went through LeBron. I also think Bosh could get featured again, so it will be interesting to see if either can return to being “the guy” again.

4. Deven

When do you expect Kevin Love to be traded to the Cavaliers?

• Steve Kyler

Far from decided. Minnesota’s stance is they’ll make a trade when they get offered things that make them better now… not sure a package built around Dion Waiters and Anthony Bennett is that. Also not sure that a Wiggins addition makes them better today… might make them better tomorrow. I think the more Wiggins plays here in Vegas, the more each side can see if its worth making a deal.

5. Deven

What’s with this talk about new TV deals that factors into free agency? Think NBC, CBS, Fox Sports or some other sports networks get the rights to air NBA games in the near future?

• Steve Kyler

The expectation is the rights package will get doubled… so from $900m a year, to something under $1.8 billion a year.

Hearing that FOX Sports 1 may get a Saturday Night game series… won’t draw huge audience numbers, but it would be NBA programming for FOX and get the NBA a new revenue stream. ESPN has already said they are keeping the NBA, so that will be a big part. The Turner component is expected to stay. So we’d have games on ABC, TNT, ESPN and Fox Sports1 and some on NBATV.

That is whats being talked about.

6. Deven

Did Carmelo Anthony make the right decision to stay with New York?

• Steve Kyler

Ehh? Who knows. Again he choose what was best for him and his family. I think he was more willing to trust Phil AND stay in New York, than trust a new team and move.

We’ll see.

7. Colin

Good afternoon Steve.
    Bulls appear to be stacked in the frontcourt now with Mirotic and Gasol signing (not sure there are enough minutes to go around actually). Who do you expect the Bulls to chase to fill out the roster? Is Augustine still a possibility? Do you think Aaron Brooks would be a handy alternative? Not sure either will take the minimum. I could also see Brewer sticking around as the fifth wing. He fits the team ethos, knows the system, can provide cover at 2 & 3, and most importantly…he is cheap!

• Steve Kyler

I think you have to lower the bar on Niko Mirotic, there will be a learning curve and that where Gasol will come into play. When Gasol missing games that is where Niko will get run, equally in a year or two they likely swap roles.

As for backup guards… they are looking. Augustin signed a two year deal in Detroit, so he is off the board.

8. Chris G

A couple Bulls questions:

1) Is there any realistic trade partner who still has the cap room to take Boozer, or is amnesty the only option left? I’d love the Bulls to stay over the cap and have more exceptions to use.

2) If/when Boozer is amnestied, any idea what teams will put in bids for him, and how much he’d go for? Heat had reported interest. Maybe Rockets and Lakers? Do you think someone could get him for a $3 million bid? And if that happens, is that $3 million less the Bulls have to pay, or in addition to Boozer’s full salary?

• Steve Kyler

No sense of that on Boozer… they have really tried.

Have no sense of who would put cap space into Boozer as an amnesty bid… if he clears he’ll be in Miami.

9. Kevin

What in the WORLD are the Suns Doing Steve? They have a TON of point guards on the roster now with the addition of Thomas. Please tell me you are hearing of a trade involving at least one of them to make the signing of Thomas make sense?

• Steve Kyler

They told Isaiah Thomas they envisioned playing all three guys together. I doubt that’s how it will play out. I think Bledsoe is going to get an offer sheet, maybe from Milwaukee. They are angling for a couple of moves. Then Phoenix has to decide if that is where you park 25% of the salary cap.

10. Joe

Can you give me any reason to feel good about my Rockets weekend? I think they literally managed to get worse at every single position overall, while giving up a draft pick.

• Steve Kyler

Yeah… not sure I like where Houston went. I would have matched Parsons. I tend to make bold predictions on moves like this and regret them later, but I am not sure I see a better team in Houston either, unless their young guys like Terrence Jones and Isiah Cannan can really play a role.

11. Lucas

Hi Steve,

The Magic not picking Exum, was it in their best interest?

Is the East still consider to be terrible, or do you think next season, the conference will be more competitive after all these recent changes?

What do you think the Pacers need to do to improve their standing?

Thanks Steve.

• Steve Kyler

Basketball is not an individual game… Magic seem far more concerned with getting compatible parts than one part that might have a higher ceiling but is a more problematic fit. They really wanted a play maker and I think they got one in Payton.

The Gordon pick I still don’t get, I think this was more betting on what he could be in two or three years and seeing that what they working with is solid. I just think there is a lot of work to do.

As for the Conference… about the same.

As for the Pacers… losing Lance (if they do) for nothing will hurt. I am not a huge fan of their off-season moves. I am not sure they got better.

12. Jonathan

What do you make of the relative silence regarding both Eric Bledsoe & Greg Monroe?

I can see the assumption that Bledsoe will be matched but the Monroe inactivity is surprising, no?

• Steve Kyler

Don’t mistake lack of noise for lack of action — the media world has been focused on LeBron, Miami and Carmelo.

Monroe and his agent are talking to teams, but Detroit wants him back, so they have to finish their free agency spending then deal with Greg.

Phoenix might get their hand forced on Bledsoe, but again, you have to get the guy to sign the offer sheet. So just because I offer you MAX doesn’t mean you’ll sign it.

Not every conversation gets out in the media, so don’t mistake lack of headlines as lack of interest.

13. Josh

Any news on Atlanta? They cap have space but never seem to be in the mix for anyone. Also any offer sheet soon for Bledsoe? Bucks?

• Steve Kyler

They went hard after Luol Deng… they are still sniffing around.

14. Marlon NU

Hi steve, love your chats! As a magic fan, Should we hit the panic button on aaron gordon yet? His summer league game is so so… More power! Keep it up

• Steve Kyler

You should completely dial back expectations on Gordon as a rookie… He’s this year’s Mo Harkless as a rookie. He’ll play a small role. Have some good games, some bad games and some games where he plays few minutes. He is a long-term investment.

If you look at whats coming — they are going to have to pay Tobias and Vucevic and neither are coming cheap, so at some point you may say no thank you and that is when Gordon might be ready to contribute.

15. Radu

Hi Steve,

I guess plenty of people will be asking about LeBron’s move, but here’s where I get a little lost: isn’t it slightly unusual for a star player to be signing a 2-year deal? What do you think was LeBron’s reasoning behind the shorter deal? Is this keeping his options open in case things go horribly wrong in Cleveland?

• Steve Kyler

Options… Options and control.

Thats the first part… the second part is in two years we should have a new national TV deal and a cap structure that might be close to $80 million. Locking in now could cost LeBron $50-$60 million. I think he’ll sign a new four year deal in two years and lock in the new TV deal cash.

16. Radu

Hi Steve,

Another free agency question (I guess that’s what’s on the menu for at least a few weeks now)…
    What’s your take on the Suns signing Isaiah Thomas to 4 years – $28M ? Good move? You’d think their backcourt was crowded enough. Also, this is quite a bit of money thrown Isaiah’s way. I’m glad for him, but my question is, where the Suns really bidding against someone at those kind of numbers or where they bidding against themselves. For instance, do you suppose there was a team out there offering $25M that forced them to go all the way to $28M?
    Having said that, I’m glad for the guy. That is one contract that was hard-earned on the court with three years’ worth of effort. It was an uphill battle all the way.

• Steve Kyler

Thomas had a lot of suitors, he was looking for the right fit almost as much as money. Usually the team that wins a guy in demand is the team that offers an extra year or $3 or $4 million more.

17. dee money

should the knicks trade iman shumpert and jr smith for brandon jennings or kemba walker or cj mccollum?

• Steve Kyler

Outside of Jennings you are assuming those guys are available in trade and they are not.

I don’t think anyone trades for Smith and I am not sold Shump returns you a starting caliber player.

18. Carl

Is Miami interested in Greg Monroe and do they have the cap space to sign him?

• Steve Kyler

have not heard that… would say that Detroit plans to match so it really doesn’t matter. The sense I get is that Greg will be dealt with after Detroit finishes their free agency.

19. Jake

Why won’t the biggest names do more than consider Chicago as a #2 option? Is it just the weather? People can say management is the issue, but this management group has actually done better in getting free agents than the one in place when Jordan was here winning titles (this group has gotten Gasol, Boozer, and Wallace–the biggest free agent the team attracted during the Jordan years was, who, Steve Kerr? Ron Harper?). They’ve had a great team, and get turned down. They’ve had money, and get turned down. They’ve been winning titles, and get turned down. So what is it? Simply that players don’t like the cold?

• Steve Kyler

I think that is an individual question. I don’t think there is something specific players don’t like. I think its unrealistic to expect a first tier star to go to a team that has an MVP in Rose and a borderline MVP in Noah. I think you have to lower the bar on what buyable to what you got.

20. mark

Hey Steve, Milwaukee bucks fan here. Do you foresee any possible moves bucks might look to make via free agency or trade. Still holding out hope for lance Stephenson or one of suns point guards. Or do you think they go with what they have teach the young guys and build through draft.

• Steve Kyler

I have heard they may be after Eric Bledsoe… I know there has been some chatter about moving Ersan İlyasova.

They’d like to get more competitive, but at the same time they know that they are likely losing more games than winning next season.

21. BeeMagic

Good morning Steve,
    Orlando summer league has finished; your thoughts on the players who will likely be with the Magic this season.

Thanks
    Rde

• Steve Kyler

Other than the drafted guys, not sure anyone else is on the roster. Some may come to camp, but not sure the Magic are committing to anyone on their squad that wasn’t a draft pick for them.

22. knickerknacker

I’m personally amped Melo resigned and truly feel
    we’re on the cusp of being good again. Tim Hard J will be a beast this year. The East is still wide open and I’d actually venture to say NY is one of the only teams that have gotten better so far. Just getting rid of Felton made us way better, LOVED the Dallas trade. Chandler really bummed me out last year. What free agents are left that could be NY bound? New coach, new outlook – feeling good….you?

• Steve Kyler

Knicks have no real cash, so they are waiting for guys to fall to their range. I think the Knicks did well. I like Calderon there… Love what I am seeing from Hardaway in Summer League… Cleanthony could be a stud in the triangle, much like a Lamar Odom was in LA.

23. John

Do you see the Philadelphia Sixers doing anything with free agents this year?

• Steve Kyler

Nothing meaningful. They like what they have. They have money so they may trade for something or may do a one year deal for someone, but I don’t see them going heavy at anyone.

24. Frank

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the reliable coverage during the past week or so. My observation is that trades in the NBA nearly always occur during one of 4 periods 1) Trade deadline; 2)Draft; 3)Free Agency and 4)start of training camp.Is there another part of the year where GMs are active in trades? AND please rank the trading periods from MOST to LEAST active. Thanks.

• Steve Kyler

Those are the normal transaction windows. A lot of teams start looking when their teams star to tank out or when a major injury hits.

25. Dionusis

Are the Celtics better served trading Rondo and spending a couple more seasons in the lottery?? What would be the downside in a strategy like that??

• Steve Kyler

Ask the Kings… being in the lottery doesn’t mean you’ll get better. I think Boston has too much money tied up into guys they really don’t need… hearing they really wanted Gordon Hayward but just couldn’t get there financially.

As for Rondo… I’d sit him down and if I don’t get a verbal commitment to re-sign in July. I’d trade him.

26. Lucas

Hi again Steve,

Have heard anything about Greg Munroe and the Pistons? For them to be in constant discussion, but yet have to get a contract done, seems odd. Do you think he’s on his way out of Detroit?

• Steve Kyler

Not odd at all. If they sign him they are done in free agency. In the NBA timing of deals is everything. You spend to the cap, then sign your own guys afterwards to go over. Cap management is huge.

27. Guilherme

Do you agree that the Lakers made some awful moves this offseason, including overpaying Kobe, Young and Hill?? Is there anything they can still do to save this offseason?

• Steve Kyler

Kobe wasn’t this year… Hill is basically a one year deal… Nick Young was relatively cheap to production.

What you are missing in all of this. The Lakers had NO ASSETS to trade. Now they do, and those assets have enough value to return a big salary or are flexible enough to be disposable to an acquiring team.

They got themselves assets this summer, so its what they do with them next year that matters. For what its worth the 2015 NBA Draft is crazy stacked, especially with impact big guys, so there is that too.

28. Phil

So, since the Big Three era has wrapped up in Miami, how should it be viewed? On the one hand, four Finals appearances and two titles. On the other, three All-Stars consistently on the roster, including this generation’s most dominant player, and only two titles. For all the aggravation it caused, all the media coverage they generated, was it an unquestioned success?

• Steve Kyler

I think it was a success. There are a lot of franchises that have never won one title, let alone two… But like all hit Broadway shows, it will eventually close.

29. Doug W

Do you think Orlando would even consider taking Boozer and a conditional next years 1st round from the Bulls with the Bulls taking back nothing? I think the Bulls have 2 1st round picks again next year. That would clear more space for the Bulls and Orlando would get someone who works well with the younger players.

• Steve Kyler

No sense that is something they’d look at. Keep in mind teams don’t want to spend money, they would rather not whenever possible. Boozer adds nothing to the Magic locker room. He’d be miserable there and given how other vets have handled being in Orlando I don’t see it.

30. Wendy

Hi Steve, for the handshake deals made during the signing moratorium, is a player or team technically allowed to back out before they put pen to paper on July 10th? Officially I mean, if there are any punishments. Or is it just something that’s frowned upon and could blacklist them with others so it’s not done?

• Steve Kyler

This is a relationship industry, if you start backing out of verbal deals or commitments, it will reflect on you. But at the same time, things often do change, but these agreements are not reached after a 10 minute conversation. These are agreements that are usually worked on for hours and the deal reached is usually well vetted.

But to be accurate, nothing is official or required until paper work is signed and approved by the NBA.

31. Wendy

Hi Steve, for the Ariza signing, why did they include WAS and make it a sign-and-trade and give them a trade exception? Is that just a favor Trevor is trying to make for his old team? Thanks!

• Steve Kyler

Makes the math work better for Houston too… it gave Washington something in exchange for helping Houston make it fit.

32. Tim

trade or keep wiggins?

• Steve Kyler

Not sure I would trade him. He is super cheap talent at this point, and his value may only increase.

33. Jazzaholic

Caught you on 1280 the Zone a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for coming on!

The Jazz lose Jefferson and Williams to FA and get lotto picks Exum and Hood. New coach, new system.

I’m thinking equaling last years 25 wins, might be difficult.

Where do you put the Jazz win number?

Hayward’s $16.4m cuts the cap space to about $11m (63-52) to acquire contracts and assets.

Do you see any likely salaries to be unloaded, with draft picks?

• Steve Kyler

I am really not in prediction mode yet… still in Summer League mode.I like the Jazz’s summer they did well. No delusions, they are still a ways away but they got better.

34. Angie

Hi Steve,

I just love this website I’m always telling my husband about this site and yes I always went on hoopsworld as well. I’ll put it up at home and work LOL !!

QUESTION: Do you think Orlando will sign Seth Curry and will they try to get Greg Monroe?

Keep up the good work !

• Steve Kyler

No on Curry and no on Monroe… there were some in the Magic front office that liked Monroe and pushed for him, but the top guy for them was Channing Frye and they got him.

Seth is here in Vegas trying to find a home. I am not sure he is a NBA point guard yet. I like him personally, but he has a long way to go.

35. Charlie

Lakers summer did not go well. Was this really the plan B that Kobe was so enthusiastic about? No way he would endorse “flexibility” over competing this year.

• Steve Kyler

Can only get what you can get. I think the take away is that the appeal of the Lakers is not what it once way for established players. Young guys would love to be there, but the vets not lining up anymore, in fact two major guys (Howard and Gasol) have left in back to back seasons.

36. WBS

If Kobe waived his no trade clause, could the Lakers trade him to the Bulls for Boozer, fillers and picks? Would enable him to compete with Pau for another ring.

• Steve Kyler

Neither is going to happen. But Kobe could approve any trade he wanted.

37. Alex

The Kevin Love Madness continues! Reports have surfaced that the Cavs are unwilling to part with Wiggins now. Is that wise of them? The leverage is tricky, what kind of package will the Wolves ultimately end up with (if he gets dished at all)? Allot going on here, just wanted to hear what you make of the whole fiasco!

• Steve Kyler

Unless Love opts in… why would you give away a possible star talent and then see Love walk in free agency. This was Golden State’s issue. It wasn’t completely about Klay Thompson as much as it was you have to take Kevin Martin and give up a ton of assets and then Kevin could walk and your traded all those assets for nothing.

Until he agrees to opt-in, there is way too much risk to give up the world for the guy.

38. Charlie

The Lakers need some kind of personality to attract players to want to come here. I understand that Jim Buss didn’t want that guy to be Phil Jackson (although I disagree with it), but what’s stopping them from bringing in someone like Magic, Kareem, Jerry West, etc. to take on a role on the organization that can show that we have a vision? Even New York is better off than LA because Phil Jackson has a vision…

• Steve Kyler

Kareem has zero personality too… so lets remove that. Jerry West works for the Warriors… so remove that one. Magic and James Worthy were involved in the pitches to Carmelo.

I think you have to measure what you expect — I’d love to date Kate Upton — I am absolutely not what she is looking for despite being quite the catch if I don’t say so myself.

The days of the Lakers being able to get every guy to trip over themselves to be in LA are over. Time to grow some talent, be smart about what you buy and remove the Kate Uptons from the list, she not obtainable.

Guys… I am out of time. Thanks for all the questions. Make sure to stay tuned for all the latest from Vegas Summer League and make sure you are following me on Twitter (@stevekylerNBA). See you all next week.