|Kevin Martin (waived)||$6,340,086|
|Anthony Bennett (waived)||$3,650,000|
|Andre Miller (waived)||$947,276|
|Lorenzo Brown (waived)||$75,000|
|Greg Smith (expired 10-day contracts)||$111,444|
Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $24.1-$25.2 million
- Mid-Level Exception: $1,513,999 (partially used on Nemanja Bjelica)
- Bi-Annual Exception: $2,139,000
- Trade Exception (Chase Budinger, expiring 7/12/16) — $5,000,000
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
PG: Ricky Rubio, Tyus Jones
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad, Damjan Rudez, Tayshaun Prince
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns, Adreian Payne, Nemanja Bjelica (injured), Kevin Garnett (injured)
C: Gorgui Dieng, Greg Smith, Nikola Pekovic (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 5/17/16 — 2016 NBA draft lottery.
- 6/22/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Greg Smith.
- 6/23/16 — 2016 NBA Draft.
- 6/29/16 — Team option on Damjan Rudez.
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins.
- 7/12/16 — Chase Budinger trade exception expires.
- 10/31/16 — Team options on Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine, Adreian Payne and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadlines for Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad
- 1/10/17 — Greg Smith’s $1,139,123 guarantees for 2016/17.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines Gorgui Dieng, Shabazz Muhammad and Damjan Rudez.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica, Zach LaVine and Adreian Payne.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/29/15 — Chase Budinger opted into his contract for 2015/16.
- 6/25/15 — Selected Karl-Anthony Towns with the 1st pick in the draft.
- 6/25/15 — Traded Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) and a 2019 second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers for Tyus Jones (2015-24th).
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Robbie Hummel.
- 7/2/15 — Signed Tyus Jones (2015-24th) to a $6.5 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/15 — Rescinded qualifying offer to Robbie Hummel.
- 7/6/15 — Signed Karl-Anthony Towns (2015-1st) to a $25.7 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/10/15 — Signed Kevin Garnett to a two-year, $16.5 million contract.
- 7/12/15 — Traded Chase Budinger to Indiana Pacers for Damjan Rudez.
- 7/13/15 — Signed Nemanja Bjelica (2010-35th) to a three-year, $11.7 million contract.
- 8/3/15 — Signed Andre Miller to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 8/19/15 — Signed Tayshaun Prince to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 9/17/15 — Signed Kleon Penn to a non-guaranteed $525k minimum summer contract.
- 9/17/15 — Signed Nick Wiggins to a non-guaranteed $525k minimum summer contract.
- 10/21/15 — Picked up options on Andrew Wiggins (third-year), Zach LaVine (third-year), Adreian Payne (third-year), Gorgui Dieng (fourth-year) and Shabazz Muhammad (fourth-year).
- 3/2/16 — Signed Greg Smith to a $59.7k 10-day contract.
- 3/12/16 — Signed Greg Smith to a second $59.7k 10-day contract.
- 3/23/16 — Signed Greg Smith to a partially-guaranteed, two-year $1,276,503 contract
No-Trade: Kevin Garnett
Waived Players: Anthony Bennett, Nick Wiggins, Kleon Penn, Lorenzo Brown, Andre Miller, Kevin Martin (stretched)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
Head Coach: Sam Mitchell
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Ryan Saunders, David Adelman, Bryant Gates, Vince Legarza (player development assistant/player development video coordinator)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam
- Milt Newton — General Manager
- Calvin Booth — Director of Player Personnel/Scout
- Kaayla Chones — Player Programs Director/Manager of Team Services
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder (top-45 protected) from Houston Rockets (Corey Brewer).
- 2016 — Owe first-rounder (top-12 protected through 2016 else converts to 2016 and 2017 second-rounders) to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2018 — Owe first-round pick (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne). Pick won’t be conveyed until two years after Minnesota’s obligation to Phoenix Suns is satisfied.
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $0
- Early Bird: Justin Hamilton, Robbie Hummel
- Non-Bird: Arinze Onuaku, Othyus Jeffers*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: None
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/25/16)