Quick: Over the cap and repeater tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): None
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, one non/partially-guaranteed (TBD), one two-way
PG: Chris Paul, Dennis Schröder, Deonte Burton, Luguentz Dort (two-way)
SG: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Andre Roberson
SF: Terrence Ferguson, Abdel Nader, Hamidou Diallo, Darius Bazley
PF: Danilo Gallinari, Mike Muscala
C: Steven Adams, Nerlens Noel, Justin Patton
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, expiring 2/1/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Jerami Grant, expiring 7/8/20) — $9,346,153
- Trade Exception (Paul George, expiring 7/10/20) — $10,389,997
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000
- Justin Patton $1,620,564
Waived Players: Donte Grantham (two-way), Patrick Patterson (stretched)
Traded Players: Jerami Grant, Paul George, Russell Westbrook
G-League Affiliate: Oklahoma City Blue (Jesse Gould general manager, Grant Gibbs coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Luguentz Dort
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Billy Donovan
Assistants: Maurice Cheeks, Vin Bhavnani, David Akinyooye, Dave Bliss, Mark Daigneault, Brian Keefe, Mike Wilks, Billy Schmidt (director of quality control)
Trainer: Joe Sharpe, Dwight Daub (strength and conditioning)
- Sam Presti — executive vice president of basketball operations and general manager
- Troy Weaver — vice president of basketball operations and assistant general manager
- Rob Hennigan — vice president of insight and foresight
- Will Dawkins — vice president of identification and intelligence
- Maurizio Gherarini — senior advisor/international affairs
- 2020 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2022, otherwise converts to 2023 and 2024 second-rounders) from the Denver Nuggets (Jerami Grant).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot).
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-20 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2023 second-rounders) to the Philadelphia 76ers (Jerami Grant, Anzejs Pasecniks, Markelle Fultz).
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder from the Miami HEAT (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges, Tobias Harris, Paul George).
- 2021 — Can swap first-rounders (lowest of the Thunder or Miami HEAT) with the Houston Rockets (top-4 protected, Russell Westbrook).
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2022 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Atlanta Hawks (Carmelo Anthony).
- 2023 — Owed first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) from the Miami HEAT (Jimmy Butler, Paul George).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George)
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke).
- 2025 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2025 — Can swap first-rounders (top-10 protected) with the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owed a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and $1 million) from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1 million from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook)
- 8/15/19 — Kyle Singler’s $5.3 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 9/10/19 — No-package restriction lifts on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari.
- 9/16/19 — No-package restriction lifts on Chris Paul.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Terrence Ferguson and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Mike Muscala, Justin Patton and Nerlens Noel.
- 2/1/20 — Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Player option for Mike Muscala.
- 6/29/20 — Team options on Abdel Nader, Deonte Burton and Hamidou Diallo.
- 6/29/20 — On team option, Deonte Burton’s 2020-21 salary guarantees at $1,174,336.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Hamidou Diallo and Deonte Burton.
- 7/8/20 — Jerami Grant trade exception expires.
- 7/10/20 — Paul George trade exception expires.
- 7/15/20 — Abdel Nader’s $1,752,950 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Deonte Burton’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Terrence Ferguson.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Darius Bazley.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Terrence Ferguson and Deonte Burton.
- 6/29/21 — Team option on Justin Patton.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Darius Bazley.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline on Darius Bazley.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Darius Bazley.
- TBD — Justin Patton’s salary guarantees TBD.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 5/11/19 — Patrick Patterson opted into his $5,711,200 salary.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Brandon Clarke (21st).
- 7/1/19 — Re-signed Nerlens Noel to a one-year $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Luguentz Dort to a two-way contract.
- 7/6/19 — Traded the rights to Brandon Clarke (21st) to the Memphis Grizzlies for the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a 2024 second-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Darius Bazley (2019-23rd) to an $11,461,629 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/19 — Traded Jerami Grant to the Denver Nuggets for a protected 2020 first-rounder.
- 7/9/19 — Signed Mike Muscala to a two-year $4,311,628 contract, player option on the final season.
- 7/10/19 — Traded Paul George to the Los Angeles Clippers for Danilo Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, a 2021 Miami HEAT first-rounder, a 2022 first-rounder, 2023 first-round swap rights, a protected Miami 2023 first-rounder, a 2024 first-rounder, 2025 first-round swap rights and a 2026 first-rounder.
- 7/15/19 — Abdel Nader’s $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/16/19 — Traded Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, conditional 2021 swap rights, a protected 2024 first-rounder, conditional 2025 swap rights, a protected 2026 first-rounder (top-4 protected, otherwise conveys as $1 million).
- 7/25/19 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception ($6,930,269) expired.
- 7/25/19 — Waived Donte Grantham (two-way).
- 8/1/19 — Deonte Burton’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 8/1/19 — Waived and stretched Patrick Patterson.
- 8/12/19 — Signed Justin Patton to a non/partially-guaranteed (TBD) three-year $5,294,240 contract, team option on final season.
- Steven Adams — 7.5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Nerlens Noel (implicit)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
2018-19 Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Nick Collison* ($1,620,564)
- Early Bird: Raymond Felton ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Norris Cole* ($1,620,564), Jawun Evans (two-way)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Devon Hall (2018-53rd), Kevin Hervey (2018-57th), DeVon Hardin (2008-50th), Yotam Halperin (2006-53rd), Sofoklis Schortsanitis (2003-34th), Szymon Szewczyk (2003-35th), Paccelis Morlende (2003-50th), Abdul Shamsid-Deen (1990-53rd)
Arena: Chesapeake Energy Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/14/19)