Quick: Over the cap and repeater tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): None
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, one two-way, one substitute two-way
PG: Chris Paul, Dennis Schröder
SG: Luguentz Dort, Deonte Burton, Devon Hall (substitute), Andre Roberson (injured)
SF: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Terrence Ferguson, Abdel Nader, Hamidou Diallo, Darius Bazley, Isaiah Roby
PF: Danilo Gallinari, Mike Muscala, Kevin Hervey
C: Steven Adams, Nerlens Noel
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jerami Grant, expiring 10/25/20) — $9,346,153
- Trade Exception (Paul George, expiring 10/27/20) — $10,389,997
- Trade Exception (Justin Patton, expiring 1/25/21) — $1,620,564
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
- Mid-Level Exception — $7,481,789 (Justin Patton, Luguentz Dort)
Waived Players: Donte Grantham (two-way), Patrick Patterson (stretched), Markel Brown, DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell, Abdul Gaddy, Myke Henry, Eric Moreland, Vincent Edwards, Kadeem Jack, Sedrick Barefield, Devon Hall (two-way)
Traded Players: Jerami Grant, Paul George, Russell Westbrook, Justin Patton
G-League Affiliate: Oklahoma City Blue (Jesse Gould general manager, Grant Gibbs coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Kevin Hervey
Head Coach: Billy Donovan
Assistants: Maurice Cheeks, Vin Bhavnani, David Akinyooye, Dave Bliss, Mark Daigneault, Brian Keefe, Mike Wilks, Billy Schmidt (director of quality control)
Trainer: Joe Sharpe, Dwight Daub (strength and conditioning)
- Sam Presti — executive vice president of basketball operations and general manager
- Rob Hennigan — vice president of insight and foresight
- Will Dawkins — vice president of identification and intelligence
- Maurizio Gherarini — senior advisor/international affairs
- 2020 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2022, otherwise converts to 2023 and 2024 second-rounders) from the Denver Nuggets (Jerami Grant).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot).
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-20 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2023 second-rounders) to the Philadelphia 76ers (Jerami Grant, Anzejs Pasecniks, Markelle Fultz).
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder from the Miami HEAT (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges, Tobias Harris, Paul George).
- 2021 — Can swap first-rounders (lowest of the Thunder or Miami HEAT) with the Houston Rockets (top-4 protected, Russell Westbrook).
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2022 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Atlanta Hawks (Carmelo Anthony).
- 2023 — Owed first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) from the Miami HEAT (Jimmy Butler, Paul George).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George)
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke).
- 2025 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2025 — Can swap first-rounders (top-10 protected) with the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owed a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and $1 million) from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $800,000 to the Dallas Mavericks (Isaiah Roby) — $4,817,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1 million from the Houston Rockets (Russell Westbrook) — $4,617,000 remaining
- 7/15/20 — Abdel Nader’s $1,752,950 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 8/1/20 — Deonte Burton’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 9/24/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Luguentz Dort.
- 10/15/20 — Team option on Deonte Burton (and 2020-21 salary guarantees at $1,174,336).
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Hamidou Diallo and Deonte Burton.
- 10/17/20 — Player option for Mike Muscala.
- 10/17/20 — Team options on Abdel Nader and Hamidou Diallo.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/25/20 — Jerami Grant trade exception expires.
- 10/27/20 — Paul George trade exception expires.
- Before the first day of the 2020-21 season — Extension deadline on Terrence Ferguson.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Darius Bazley (revised date TBD).
- 1/25/21 — Justin Patton trade exception expires.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Terrence Ferguson and Deonte Burton.
- 7/3/21 — Isaiah Roby’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Darius Bazley.
- 6/29/22 – Team option on Isaiah Roby.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
- 7/3/22 — Isaiah Roby’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline on Darius Bazley.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Darius Bazley.
- TBD — Luguentz Dort’s guarantee detail.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 5/11/19 — Patrick Patterson opted into his $5,711,200 salary.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Brandon Clarke (21st).
- 7/1/19 — Re-signed Nerlens Noel to a one-year $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Luguentz Dort to a two-way contract.
- 7/6/19 — Traded the rights to Brandon Clarke (21st) to the Memphis Grizzlies for the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a 2024 second-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Darius Bazley (2019-23rd) to an $11,461,629 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/19 — Traded Jerami Grant to the Denver Nuggets for a protected 2020 first-rounder.
- 7/9/19 — Signed Mike Muscala to a two-year $4,311,628 contract, player option on the final season.
- 7/10/19 — Traded Paul George to the Los Angeles Clippers for Danilo Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, a 2021 Miami HEAT first-rounder, a 2022 first-rounder, 2023 first-round swap rights, a protected Miami 2023 first-rounder, a 2024 first-rounder, 2025 first-round swap rights and a 2026 first-rounder.
- 7/15/19 — Abdel Nader’s $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/16/19 — Traded Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, conditional 2021 swap rights, a protected 2024 first-rounder, conditional 2025 swap rights, a protected 2026 first-rounder (top-4 protected, otherwise conveys as $1 million).
- 7/25/19 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception ($6,930,269) expired.
- 7/25/19 — Waived Donte Grantham (two-way).
- 8/1/19 — Deonte Burton’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 8/1/19 — Waived and stretched Patrick Patterson.
- 8/12/19 — Signed Justin Patton to a partially-guaranteed three-year $5,294,240 contract, team option on final season.
- 9/4/19 — Signed Devon Hall to a two-way contract.
- 9/24/19 — Signed Markel Brown to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract.
- 9/27/19 — Waived Markel Brown.
- 9/29/19 — Signed DeVaughn Akoon Purcell to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 9/29/19 — Signed Abdul Gaddy to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/29/19 — Signed Myke Henry to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 9/29/19 — Signed Eric Moreland to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/19 — Waived DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell, Abdul Gaddy, Myke Henry and Eric Moreland.
- 10/18/19 — Picked up Terrence Ferguson’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 10/18/19 — Picked up Shai Gilgeous-Alexander’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Vincent Edwards to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Kadeem Jack to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Sedrick Barefield to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/1/19 — Waived Vincent Edwards, Kadeem Jack and Sedrick Barefield.
- 12/12/19 — Waived Devon Hall (two-way).
- 12/12/19 — Signed Kevin Hervey (2018-57th) to a two-way contract.
- 1/10/20 — Justin Patton’s $1,620,564 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/24/20 — Traded Justin Patton and $800,000 to the Dallas Mavericks for Isaiah Roby.
- 2/1/20 — Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot trade exception ($44,951) expired.
- 6/24/20 — Signed Luguentz Dort to a partially-guaranteed four-year $5,386,930 contract, team option on final season, ending his two-way.
- 6/27/20 — Signed Devon Hall to a substitute contract (two-way).
- Steven Adams — 7.5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Nick Collison* ($1,620,564)
- Early Bird: Raymond Felton ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Norris Cole* ($1,620,564), Jawun Evans (two-way)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Devon Hall (2018-53rd), DeVon Hardin (2008-50th), Yotam Halperin (2006-53rd), Sofoklis Schortsanitis (2003-34th), Szymon Szewczyk (2003-35th), Paccelis Morlende (2003-50th), Abdul Shamsid-Deen (1990-53rd)
Arena: Chesapeake Energy Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/1/20)