Connect with us

NCAA News Wire

Old Dominion crushed Mount St. Mary’s

The Sports Xchange



NORFOLK, Va. — Heading into Monday night’s game, Mount St. Mary’s coach Jamion Christian already knew Old Dominion was bigger and stronger.

He then discovered the Monarchs are quite a bit deeper, too.

Forward Javonte Douglas responded to his first start with a game-high 16 points and nine rebounds, and forward Richard Ross made all seven of his shots as Old Dominion crushed Mount St. Mary’s 69-35 Monday night at the Constant Center.

The victory was the eighth straight for Old Dominion (11-1) and left the Monarchs with an 8-0 record at home after their nonconference finale. The Monarchs will begin Conference USA play with three straight road games starting with Sunday’s trip to Charlotte.

“We know it’s going to be tough, but it’s also a great opportunity,” Monarchs coach Jeff Jones said. “As for tonight, this was a great way to wrap up our nonconference schedule. We asked the guys to be ready, and they responded exactly the way we hoped they would.”

This one was never in doubt as the Monarchs ran their offense with little resistance and capitalized on some ice-cold Mountaineers shooting to pull away quickly. Old Dominion led by 23 at halftime, then doused any Mountaineer comeback hopes with a 10-2 run to open the second half that made it 52-21 with 15:32 remaining. The lead would balloon to as many as 39 points as Mount St. Mary’s connected on just one of its first 20 second-half shots.

The victory was so comprehensive it left Christian comparing the Monarchs favorably to Arizona and Notre Dame, the two major conference opponents his Mountaineers have faced this season.

“They’re not quite as good as Arizona; Arizona’s one of the elite teams,” Christian said. “But they’re built like Arizona — big and strong inside, smart, strong guards and wings that can shoot, but also know when to shoot.”

On this night, one of those wings was Douglas, a 6-foot-7 junior college transfer who got the start when Jordan Baker was scratched with a hip injury. A taller, longer alternative to Baker, Douglas made hay around the basket and on the offensive boards in his first extended action as a Monarch.

“He’s a tough matchup for a lot of the opposing ‘three’ men,” Jones said. “He adds a dimension we’re going to need.”

Forward Andrew Smeathers scored 12 points to lead the Mountaineers (4-7), who made just of 11 of 50 field goals. Mount St. Mary’s shot 14.8 percent (4 of 27) in the second half.

Old Dominion got the jump on the Mountaineers quickly, as forward Richard Ross scored eight points during a game-opening 19-5 Monarchs spurt. It didn’t help that Mount St. Mary’s was ice-cold from deep during the run. After Smeathers gave his team a 3-2 lead with a 3-pointer, the Mountaineers made just one of the next 12 they squeezed off in the first half.

The Monarchs led by as many as 25 before heading into the locker room ahead 42-19. Ross finished the half with 10 points for Old Dominion, which shot 54.8 percent from the field and were plus-nine on the boards in the opening 20 minutes.

Smeathers’ eight points paced the Mountaineers, who made just 7 of 23 first-half field goals.

But while the Mountaineers’ shooting woes actually increased after the break, Christian had no issues with his team’s effort.

“Don’t get me wrong, we wanted to win,” the coach said. “But we also want to keep things in perspectivve. We played really hard. If we take that effort into (Northeast) Conference play, we still have a chance to have a pretty special season.”

NOTES: Baker Douglas sat out the Monarchs’ first seven games after being suspended indefinitely following an altercation near campus last summer. He came into the game having logged just 19 minutes over three games. … Mount St. Mary’s previous three games were decided by either one point or in overtime — a 69-68 victory over Binghamton, a 46-45 loss at American and a 67-64 overtime win over Norfolk State. In that game, Mountaineers forward Kristijan Krajina blocked the potential game-tying 3-pointer as OT expired.


NCAA News Wire

SMU outmuscles Connecticut to take AAC title

The Sports Xchange



HARTFORD, Conn. — After a crushing omission from the NCAA Tournament last season, the 20th-ranked Southern Methodist Mustangs didn’t have any worries during this year’s Selection Show. They are dancing for the first time since 1993.

SMU’s deep and talented frontcourt frustrated the Connecticut Huskies on both ends of the floor, paving the way for the team’s first conference title in 27 years with a 62-54 win in the American Athletic Conference championship game on Sunday.

SMU earned a No. 6 seed and will face No. 11 UCLA in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday in Charlotte, N.C.

“This is big for all of us,” said senior guard Ryan Manuel, “not just the seniors but it’s as big for SMU as a school, as a basketball program. When coach (Larry) Brown got here, he wanted us to put it back on the map, and I think we made great strides in that.”

UConn (20-14), the defending national champion, came into the AAC tournament needing four wins in four days just to return to the NCAA Tournament. After falling just short of their goal, the Huskies are headed to the National Invitation Tournament.

“It’s postseason play,” UConn coach Kevin Ollie said. “If it’s NIT or NCAA, they’re going to learn from it and they’re going to come back better from it. I’m still coaching them the way I coach them, they’re still going to play the way they’re going to play.”

SMU (27-6) was expected to receive an at-large bid if it lost Sunday, but the victory guaranteed it a spot in the NCAA Tournament field after being one of the final teams left out last season.

“Last year at this time was about as disappointing as it could get,” Brown said. “Fortunately we’ve got another opportunity, and didn’t have to get anybody to decide whether we’re worthy or not.”

As it had all weekend long, it was SMU’s frontcourt that anchored the win.

The conference’s Sixth Man of the Year, Markus Kennedy, capped off a strong weekend by leading his team with 14 points, one of four Mustangs players in double figures. He earned the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player for his efforts. The 6-foot-10 junior and his fellow forwards helped SMU to a 43-30 advantage on the glass, with sophomore Sterling Brown pulling in 12 rebounds to lead the team.

Sophomore guard Rodney Purvis had 29 points and was the only UConn player in double figures in scoring.

“I was trying to be aggressive and take what the defense gave me,” he said.

For a while, it appeared this game would not be close. The SMU zone defense that Connecticut had carved up for 81 points just two weeks prior locked things down this time around, and the Mustangs took a 33-19 advantage into halftime by holding UConn to 5-of-24 shooting (20.8 percent) from the floor over the opening 20 minutes.

The Huskies, who made more than 53 percent from the floor and knocked down nine 3-pointers in that win, were just 2 of 13 from beyond the arc in that first half.

Usual leading scorer Ryan Boatright would manage just seven points on 1-of-12 shooting for the game.

“I’m just disappointed in my play,” he said. “I missed a lot of shots that should be easy knock-down shots for me. I didn’t show up and be the player I know I can be, I can be better than that. But my teammates fought, they played a tremendous game.”

UConn made it a game in the second half by doing similar things on the defensive end, thanks in large part to the presence of sophomore Amida Brimah. The 7-foot center, limited to just four first-half minutes because of foul trouble, played the entire second half, blocking seven shots during that time and altering numerous others.

The Huskies were able to get within five points with just over three minutes to play, but the Mustangs would hold on.

“He’s a shot blocker, so it made it a little difficult,” Manuel said about the difference Brimah made in the second half. “UConn, they have a tradition of coming back, and we knew they weren’t going to go down with a fight, so for us to stand there as a team and get the

Continue Reading

NCAA News Wire

Alabama fires head coach Grant

The Sports Xchange



Alabama fired head basketball coach Anthony Grant on Sunday after six seasons.

The Crimson Tide struggled over the final two months of the season, finishing 18-14 and tied for eighth in the Southeastern Conference.

Grant, 48, won at least 20 games three times and made an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. His Alabama teams went 117-85, including two NIT appearances (2011 and 2013). He came to Alabama from Virginia Commonwealth University, where he went 76-25 and made two NCAA Tournament appearances.

“This has been a very difficult decision, as I have the highest respect for Anthony as a coach, as a molder of young men, and as a person,” Alabama athletic director Bill Battle said in a statement. “Anthony is a man of impeccable character who has been an excellent representative of our program. He has made tremendous contributions to our program and we always will be grateful for his efforts. Anthony, his wife Chris, and their children have been tremendous assets to our University and our community.

“In this business we are ultimately judged by wins and losses on the court and, for a variety of reasons, we haven’t made satisfactory progress in that area.”

Continue Reading

NCAA News Wire

Kentucky routs Arkansas for SEC tourney title

The Sports Xchange



NASHVILLE, Tenn. — No. 1-ranked Kentucky will take a perfect 34-0 record into the NCAA Tournament this week after thrashing Arkansas 78-63 in the Southeastern Conference tournament championship game Sunday at Bridgestone Arena.

The conference tournament title is the 28th for Kentucky, meaning the Wildcats have won more than half of the 55 tournaments.

“This team has a lot of dog in it,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said. “Good, hard fought game. Arkansas is a ranked team, but we kind of did our thing.”

Junior forward Willie Cauley-Stein, who was named tournament MVP, paced Kentucky with a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds. It was his first double-double since the Columbia game on Dec. 10.

Cauley-Stein was joined on the all-tournament team by twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison of Kentucky, Michael Qualls of Arkansas and K.T. Harrell of Auburn.

Andrew Harrison, a sophomore guard, scored 15 points. Twin brother Aaron Harrison had 11 points and six assists. Freshman guard Tyler Ulis added eight points and six assists.

Guard Michael Qualls topped No. 21 Arkansas (26-8) with 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting. Forward Bobby Portis had 13 points.

“Our guys came out and scratched and clawed,” Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said. “But at the end, I thought their depth and size were hard to overcome. If a team is going to beat them, you’ve got to make shots as well as match their energy.”

The finals pitted the top two seeds in Kentucky and Arkansas, but the Wildcats wasted little time proving that winning the regular season by five games was no fluke. Kentucky roared out to an 8-0 lead within the first two minutes, forcing Anderson to call an early timeout. Point guard Andrew Harrison scored six of the eight on a pair of 3-pointers.

“If the other team is angry, mad, hateful, jealous, the physiology of that is real close to fear,” Calipari said. “When a team comes in that way, if you can just play and that thing turns into fear, you separate yourself. Joy, the love of playing, always beats angry, mean, hateful, jealous.”

Arkansas managed to score five unanswered points after the break and eventually tied the game at 10-10 on a 3-pointer by Portis. The SEC player of the year had missed 16 of his previous 17 shots in the tournament before the basket.

The game was tied 19-19 with 10:18 to play in the first half when Kentucky caught fire, scoring 16 points in 5:05 for a 35-23 lead. Aaron Harrison scored six points during the 16-4 run on a pair of 3-pointers. He also assisted on two dunks by Cauley-Stein and a basket in the paint by sophomore center Dakari Johnson. Freshman center Karl-Anthony Towns accounted for the remaining four points.

All six Kentucky field goals during the run were accompanied by an assist, including three by Aaron Harrison. At the time, Kentucky was shooting 59 percent (13 of 22), including 5 of 6 on three-pointers.

Kentucky went on to expand the lead to 16 points by halftime, 41-25, meaning the Wildcats outscored Arkansas 22-6 over the final 10:18 of the first half.

Cauley-Stein led the way in the first half with eight points and eight rebounds. Aaron Harrison added eight points and six assists. Andrew Harrison scored six points.

Kentucky shots 51.9 percent in the first half, and 12 of the 14 baskets came via assists. The Wildcats were 8-for-8 from the free-throw line.

Arkansas, which never led, shot just 29 percent in the first half. Portis topped the Razorbacks with seven points. Arkansas had just two assists and five turnovers in the first 20 minutes.

In the second half, Arkansas managed to trim Kentucky’s lead from 16 to nine at 48-39 at the 11:55 mark. During that time, Towns picked up his fourth personal foul with 14:07 to play.

“We cut it to nine points in the second half, but we couldn’t get over the hump,” Anderson said.

From that point forward the two teams battled mostly to a draw before Kentucky pulled away late in the half.

Kentucky pushed the lead back 18 points at 6:10 thanks to an 11-2 run.

Kentucky’s largest lead of the game was 21 points, which came with 2:41 to play.

Continue Reading

Trending Now