UCLA’s heralded recruiting class has taken a significant hit after incoming freshman Jonah Bolden has been deemed ineligible by the NCAA to play this season, the school announced Friday.
“The NCAA has ruled that UCLA freshman Jonah Bolden is a partial qualifier, and as such, will not be able to compete for the men’s basketball team this season,” UCLA said. “The ruling allows for Bolden to continue on athletic scholarship.”
According to sources, the issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia after his senior season had already begun to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas. Bolden left Findlay in December and finished at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.
Marvin Bagley III Reclassifies, Commits to Duke
The biggest news in college basketball has come in August, typically one of the quietest recruiting months of the year.
Marvin Bagley III, the nation’s No. 1 high school recruit from the Class of 2018, made his announcement to reclassify up to the Class of 2017 on Monday, which means he will immediately be a freshman in college this season.
Along with his decision to reclassify, Bagley said on SportsCenter that he will play at Duke for Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski.
Bagley had been contemplating this decision for a long time and began to explore immediate eligibility in recent months. He is now scheduled to graduate from Los Angeles’ Sierra Canyon High School in August, after which the NCAA eligibility center will review his final transcript to assess whether he has met all requirements to play at the Division I level.
Adding Bagley to a class that already includes scoring savant Michael Porter Jr.and physically imposing big man DeAndre Ayton, as well as newly reclassified No. 24 Jontay Porter (Missouri), makes this a group to rival last year’s class that boasted historic one-and-done draft picks.
Source: Paul Biancardi of ESPN
Source: Mike Brown Uninterested in Ohio State Job
MSU’ Miles Bridges Returning for Sophomore Season
Seated in front of the iconic Sparty Statue at the intersection of Kalamazoo Street and Chestnut Road, Miles Bridges announced his intentions to return to Michigan State for his sophomore season early Thursday evening.
“I want to thank God for this opportunity,” Bridges said. “I get to reach my dreams in the NBA or stay here with my teammates. But, I got some unfinished business here.”