Massachusetts Online Sports Betting – Is Sports Betting Legal in Massachusetts? Best MA Sportsbooks
After years of setbacks, legalized Massachusetts sports betting might be coming to the Commonwealth. But, for now, people in the state can rely on the top offshore sportsbooks listed in this piece.
If this positive momentum translates to passing a sports bill, Bay State residents can officially gamble on their sports teams. Massachusetts is home to storied franchises like the Boston Celtics and the New England Patriots. We keep you in the loop on the latest events surrounding Massachusetts sports betting.
Best Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Sites Ranked
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus Claim Now 125% Sign Up Bonus Up To $2,500 Claim Now Get a Welcome Bonus of up to $750 Claim Now 1st deposit bonus up to 180% and 1 BTC Claim Now 50% Welcome Deposit Bonus up to $1000 Claim Now $750 Welcome Bonus (3 x $250 Bonuses) Claim Now 50% Sports Welcome Bonus Up To $1000 Claim Now 50% Welcome Deposit Bonus Up To $500 + $10 Casino Chip Claim Now 200% Bonus up to $10,000 + 50 Free Spins Claim Now 50% First Time Deposit Match Up To $1000 Claim Now 150% Deposit Bonus up to $2500 Claim Now 150% Match On The First Deposit Up To $150 Claim Now 35% free play up to $700 Bonus Claim Now 100% Up To $500 - No Code Required Claim Now
Massachusetts Sports Betting at a Glance
Massachusetts is one of the most recent states to legalize sports betting. Retail betting went live in January 2023 and inland online sportsbooks are expected to be available in March or April 2023. The current sports betting market in the state is outlined below.
- Legal Sports Betting: In-Person (inland), Online/Mobile (inland and offshore)
- Minimum Sports Betting Age in Massachusetts 21 (inland), 18 (through offshore sites)
- Offline Betting in Person: Yes
- Online Sportsbooks: Inland ( no current options) and offshore
- Live/In-Play Betting: Inland and offshore
- College Sports Betting: Inland (betting on in-state sports teams is not permitted) and Offshore (no restrictions)
- Horse racing: Inland and offshore
- Estimated Sports Betting Revenue: To be determined
- Permitted Sports Betting Operators: To be determined
- Licensing Fee: $5 million
- Tax Rate: 20% online, 15% retail
- Tax Funded: To be determined
Latest News on Sports Betting Legislation in Massachusetts
Massachusetts legalized gambling in the state in 2011 with the passage of the Expanded Gaming Act. That created 3 casino licenses for the state – 2 of which were taken by Encore Boston Harbor and MGM Springfield – and 1 slot parlor license – which is held by PlainRidge Park Casino. Online betting, however, has remained illegal in the state.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the key events on the timeline of online sports betting in Massachusetts:
- January 31, 2023 – In-person sports betting officially launches in Massachusetts.
- October 28, 2022 – According to reports, DraftKings Incorporated’s request for the Massachusetts gambling commission to allow for the simultaneous launch of regulated retail and online sports betting services was denied.
- October 11, 2022: Raynham Park’s owner has revealed plans to open a retail sportsbook early next year in Massachusetts.
- October 10, 2022: The Massachusetts gaming commission officially decided to allow retail sports betting at the state’s three commercial casinos beginning in “late January.”
- August 29, 2022: Massachusetts sports betting companies submit letters of intent while awaiting licensure.
- August 2, 2022: Lawmakers in Massachusetts have reached an agreement to legalize sports betting, but the inclusion of college sports betting is still hotly contested.
- April 26, 2022: The state senators in Massachusetts decided to review and consider new sports betting legislation.
- March 28, 2022: State House News Service releases a poll where 60% of Massachusetts residents support legal sports gambling.
- March 18, 2022: State Senator Michael Rodrigues walks back his support for passing a bill to legalize Massachusetts sports betting.
- March 7, 2022: House Speaker Mariano speaks to Bloomberg about his state’s residents placing Super Bowl bets in neighboring New Hampshire. He quotes this move as “…extremely frustrating.” Mariano also expresses confidence in his bill but fears that Senate President Karen Spilka won’t negotiate.
- February 28, 2022: According to the Cap Cod Times, another lawsuit was issued to halt the Mashpee Wampanoag Indians’ building of another casino. Southeast Massachusetts is the site for that new casino. In tandem with their two other casinos, the new casino could further boost the passing of legalized sports betting.
- February 16, 2022: DraftKings declares that roughly 28% of its New Hampshire Super Bowl bettors have Massachusetts addresses.
- February 11, 2022: Current Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker and House Speaker Mariano tweet their support for legalized Massachusetts sports betting.
- January 31, 2022: DraftKings pledges $1.5 million to assist the state gambling councils of Massachusetts. It is the second pledge in recent years.
- January 19, 2022: State senator Eric Lesser adamantly vocalizes supporting the passage of legalized Massachusetts sports betting. He is campaigning to be elected as Massachusetts’ next Lt. governor.
- January 12, 2022: Ninety small businesses submit a letter to 40 state senators to consider legalizing MA sports betting.
- July 22, 2021: Massachusetts House passes the bill to provide legal sports betting in Massachusetts. The bill has not yet been taken up by the Senate.
- July 19, 2021: The House introduced a bill to legalize Massachusetts sports betting.
- February 2, 2021: Four competing bills were introduced by Massachusetts lawmakers and the governor to legalize sports betting.
- January 17, 2019: Three competing bills were introduced by Massachusetts lawmakers and the governor to legalize sports betting. None of the bills was passed during the legislative session.
- April 27, 2018: Massachusetts makes the legalization of daily fantasy sports in the state permanent.
- August 10, 2016: Massachusetts legalizes daily fantasy sports on a temporary basis.
The Best Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Sites List 2023
Before we dive into all the rules and regulations around online betting in Massachusetts, let’s take a look at the best sites for MA sports betting:
- BetOnline– Overall Massachusetts sports betting site for 2023
- Bovada – Live betting galore with many International leagues
- MyBookie– A sophisticated and multi-sport Massachusetts sportsbook
- Everygame – Best Massachusetts sportsbook for new players
- XBet– Top Massachusetts betting site for live betting
- Lucky Block – User friendly live betting interface
- BetUS– Top Massachusetts mobile sports betting app
- BetNow – Great site for a wide variety of sport
- BUSR– Top Massachusetts sportsbook
- Jazzsports– Best site for off-track betting in Massachusetts
Best Massachusetts Sportsbooks Reviewed
While Massachusetts is still debating whether to legalize sports betting, you can bet on sports today through an offshore betting site. We’ve put together detailed reviews of the top 5 offshore sportsbooks in Massachusetts.
1. BetOnline – Overall Best Massachusetts Sports Betting Site for 2023
BetOnline is one of our top offshore betting sites that’s available to Massachusetts residents. The site offers legal sports betting in Massachusetts on dozens of markets, plus a full-service casino and racebook.
This betting site is one of our favorites for NBA betting, in part because it offers such a wide variety of options. You can bet not only on the outcome of individual games but also make NBA futures bets on next year’s championship. BetOnline also offers NBA draft betting and wagers on college basketball.
BetOnline is available both online and as a mobile app for iOS and Android. While we thought the mobile app was a little outdated, it’s plenty functional and makes it easy to bet on the go. The fact that you can also play casino games from the same app is a huge plus, too. Don’t forget to claim your BetOnline promo code to bolster your wallet.
What we like:
- Bet on NBA futures and the NBA draft
- Includes a casino and racebook
- Parlays, teasers, and in-game betting
- Mobile app for iOS and Android
What we don’t:
- Mobile app not as up to date as some of the competition
2. Bovada – Live Betting Galore With Many International Leagues
Bovada is our top-rated sportsbook in Massachusetts that offers an enormous variety of sports. You can bet not only on the major sports leagues like the NBA, NFL, and MLB, but also on lesser-watched sports like skiing, snooker, cricket, and handball. Bovada also offers betting on US politics and an ever-growing selection of e-sports.
Bovada has a lot to attract bettors, including one of the widest selections of parlays we’ve seen from any online sportsbook. In fact, the website and mobile app have a prop builder that makes it simple to set up complex bets. Another benefit is that you can watch matches in real-time thanks to built-in video streaming and place bets on live games as they unfold.
This sportsbook has an attractive welcome bonus, particularly for bettors who want to make a deposit with Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash. When you deposit either of those cryptocurrencies to start off your account, Bovada will match your deposit 75% up to $750 if you use the Bovada promo code.
What we like:
- Very wide selection of sports to bet on
- Accepts Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash for deposits
- Live stream for most matches
- Prop bet builder
What we don’t:
- No welcome bonus for cash deposits
3. MyBookie – A Sophisticated and Multi-Sport Massachusetts Sportsbook
MyBookie is our pick for Massachusetts residents who want to bet on sports in 2023. This offshore betting site offers wagers on major sports like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, MMA, and more. You can even bet on special events like the Olympics.
MyBookie stands out in part for its generous MyBookie promo codes. The site will match your initial deposit of 50% up to $1,000. Even better, every time you reload your betting account, MyBookie will give you a 25% reload bonus up to $500. MyBookie makes payments simple and even accepts cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple.
For sports betting in Massachusetts on the go, MyBookie offers a streamlined mobile betting app. Your betslip is accessible in just a few taps, so it’s easy to start wagering. Another benefit to this online bookmaker is that most matches are available via live streaming.
What we like:
- Generous welcome and reload bonuses
- Easy-to-use mobile app
- Live stream available for most matches
- Supports parlays and in-game betting
What we don’t:
- Not the widest selection of sports
4. Everygame – Best Massachusetts Sportsbook for New Players
Everygame is widely regarded as one of the best MA online sportsbooks. It offers high-quality odds on a diverse selection of major sports events. It features a number of convenient and trustworthy deposit and withdrawal methods, as well as high-quality odds on a diverse selection of athletic events and a streamlined user experience.
Customers of Everygame can choose from a wide variety of futures and pre-game wagering alternatives. With the popularity of in-play betting, it should come as no surprise that Everygame provides live betting options, and is particularly stacked with lines when it comes to North American and European ice hockey.
Besides the puck action, Everygame covers sports like football, baseball, basketball, boxing, soccer, tennis, golf, and more.
Everygame’s sign-up bonus comes in different ways depending on the type of bonus you want to unlock, there are Everygame bonus codes to claim, plus this Massachusetts sports betting hub also runs a weekly raffle for huge rebates on parlay losses.
What we like:
- Great customer service
- Payouts are fast
- A wide range of bonus offers
- Impressive mobile interface
- Accepts US players
What we don’t:
- Many bonus requirements
- Not as many sports betting markets as other online bookmakers.
5. XBet – Top Massachusetts Betting Site for Live Betting
As a regulated sportsbook, XBet is one of the best Massachusetts betting sites for live betting. Players have it good at XBet with 24/7 customer support and several banking methods for betting.
It is impossible to ignore the casino’s range of ongoing promos and bonuses, and they provide a great selection of games and a variety of unique betting options to wager on. This offshore betting site allows wagers on casino games and sports like basketball, hockey, baseball, football, MMA, and other popular sports.
Besides the wide range of sports bets, players will also discover competitive odds, a superb easy-to-navigate web layout, live sports betting, and a decent selection of proposition wagers, including team prop bets on the Patriots once the NFL season rolls around.
All new players can use an Xbet promo code to receive a 100% bonus of up to $500, giving players a free shot at winning real money on this Massachusetts sports betting site live.
What we like:
- Several payment options
- Live, in-play betting
- Huge game selection
- 24/7 customer service
- Welcome bonus offer
What we don’t:
- Huge roller requirement
6. BetUS – Top Massachusetts Mobile Sports Betting App
A top Massachusetts sports betting site for over 25 years, BetUS offers all major games and leagues, and other well-known sports to bet on during the offseason. BetUS is one of the best sportsbooks for the sheer number of betting options it offers. It provides odds for Triple-A baseball, lacrosse, surfing, and over 40 different soccer leagues. In addition, the varieties of wagers they offer are far beyond those of other sportsbooks.
BetUS is one of the few books that allows for “pleasers,” or parlays and teasers with more than ten teams. BetUS features odds on a variety of sports and events, including the NFL, NCAA football, NASCAR, and horse racing. Betting is available at BetUS on NBA, WNBA, MLB, UFC/MMA, boxing, NASCAR, horse racing, hockey, tennis, baseball, golf, politics, and more.
BetUS is one of the top MA sports betting sites and has many deposit choices. Visa, MasterCard, Cash Transfer, MoneyGram, Bankwire, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin. In terms of customer service, BetUS leads the pack. Each new player gets assigned a dedicated account manager who focuses entires on the single player’s needs.
BetUS unquestionably has the best welcome bonuses and the most generous loyalty program available. The welcome bonus can be claimed using a BetUS promo code and is worth 125% of your initial deposit, while the re-up bonus is 150% for cryptocurrency users. BetUS offers a Crypto Sign-Up Bonus of up to $2,500, or 200 percent of your initial crypto deposit.
What we like:
- Many casino games
- Genrous welcome bonus
- Exciting slots tournaments
What we don’t:
- $5000 daily withdrawal limit
7. BetNow – Best Massachusetts Sports Betting Site for Free Patriots Futures
Since its launch in 2016, BetNow has been a top option for sports betting in Massachusetts. It’s one of the best online betting sites in the state when it comes to quality odds and covers a wide range of sports markets, including pro and college sports both within the US and internationally.
The MLB, NCAA, NBA, NFL, NHL, tennis, soccer, and over 20 other sports are easy to wager on at BetNow. The betting slip is easy to use and you can place your bets for as low as $1 and as high as you want to go. This MA sports betting site also offers odd boosts on parlays and runs a loyalty program that enables bettors to receive points for placing parlay and teaser bets.
The sports contests offered by BetNow come with exotic bonuses and cash prices. Noteworthy contests organized by BetNow, include the $500,000 Thanksgiving Giveaway Contest, BetNow’s Grand Slam Contest worth $10,000, and NFL King of the Hill Contests worth $10,000.
The cashier segment of BetNow accepts different payment methods, like the use of selected eWallets, cryptocurrencies, and credit/debit cards. Customer service is prompt, tending to respond within a couple of minutes, and for those among you looking to back the Pats all the way to the Bowl, the BN150 BetNow promo code for the welcome bonus also enables a free futures wager up to the value of $150.
What we like:
- Great selection of props, futures, and exotics
- Extensive market coverage
- Exotic bonuses and contests are available
- Reduced juice
- Live Betting option
- Safe and secure betting site
What we don’t:
- Low deposit bonus
8. BUSR – Top Massachusetts Sportsbook
It’s impossible to talk about licensed sports betting Massachusetts sites without mentioning BUSR. The bookie’s reputation precedes them and they are trusted by huge sports publications such as ESPN. BUSR serves up in-depth markets for America’s most popular sports, including NBA, NFL, soccer, MLB, and NHL, all accessible via an intuitive mobile betting interface.
The best part is, that you can get in on the action anytime, anywhere, with BUSR’s mobile betting platform, whether it’s for March Madness, the Super Bowl, the Triple Crown, or the Breeders’ Cup. Additionally, if you’ve had your fill of sports betting in Massachusetts, you can explore BUSR’s racebook and casinos which both have amazing betting options.
Our review put the bookie’s bold claim of evergreen promos and hefty bonuses to the test, and BUSR didn’t disappoint. In addition to betting on all your favorite teams and sports, BUSR offers its players a number of attractive bonuses. Whether it’s a welcome, Bitcoin, crypto, refer a friend, or reload bonus, there’s something for everyone. However, you’ll need a BUSR promo code to unlock certain sportsbook offers.
In order to claim these offers, you need to create a BUSR account and make your first deposit, which can be done in a number of ways. Players can deposit or withdraw funds via Visa/Mastercard, Wire transfer, MoneyGram, Check, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and more.
Customer supports is available 24/7, so if you have any questions, contact them via live chat, email, or phone call.
What we like:
- Hefty welcome bonus
- Evergreen promotion offers year-round
- Numerous sports betting options
- High-quality live casino games
- 24/7 customer support
What we don’t:
- Players in NV, NJ, PA, and NY are prohibited
9. Jazz Sports – Quick and Simple to Sign Up
One of the best sports betting sites in Massachusetts and with over 30 years of experience, Jazz Sports features a wide range of sports betting markets and live betting options on all the US staples (NBA/NFL/MLB, etc), plus entertainment, politics, and more. For the Patriots fans among you, Jazz offers NFL futures and weekly betting lines with sharp odds.
This bookmaker is well-known for offering a wide variety of future bets on sporting events and activities, including pro hockey, soccer, combat sports, golf, tennis, auto racing, politics, rugby, and cricket.
Proposition betting markets don’t tend to get broadcast until the day of the big game, which is slower than some of its competitors. But, in terms of prop betting options, Jazz does well, serving up unique team/player bets, especially for NBA and NFL games.
This sportsbook offers a wide variety of bonuses and promotions. With the correct Jazz Sports promo code, bettors can claim a 50% welcome bonus of up to $1,000. Jazz also offers a 10% racebook cash bonus, and cash reload bonuses. Tournament play is another feature of the site, and there’s huge money to be won playing MLB/NFL Pick’em games, too.
What we like:
- Lightning-fast payouts
- Excellent customer service
- Exotic bonus offers
- Competitive betting odds
- Pick’em tournaments for MLB/NFL
What we don’t:
- Late to market with proposition bets
10. Sportsbetting.ag – Generous Welcome Bonus and Ongoing Promos
Sportsbetting.ag is one of the most veteran sports betting MA sites, with close to two decades of experience. As you can expect, the bookie has now perfected its gambling products, customer rewards, and banking section. But not all the online sportsbook’s history is positive, so you may come across some negative reviews here and there.
We like the Sportsbetting.ag promo codes selection, starting with the 50% match deposit sign-up package. You’ll also find lost of different promos for existing customers and can choose one that best suits your gambling objectives. Sportsbetting.ag features rebates, free bets, and occasional accumulator boosts, all with reasonable terms.
The banking section is pretty decent too. Like most top sports betting MA sites, Sportsbetting.ag accepts crypto deposits and payouts. If you prefer more traditional payment methods, the bookie also allows wire transfers, cards, and eChecks.
What we like:
- Competitive welcome bonus
- Cryptocurrencies available for quick payouts
- Numerous ongoing promotions
- Reputable, veteran bookie
What we don’t:
- High minimum deposit for bonus
More on gambling in Massachusetts…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Massachusetts in our expert guides below:
Is Sports Betting Legal in Massachusetts?
The Commonwealth still prohibits organized sports gambling within the state. Unfortunately, this means its residents can’t place sports bets on storied teams like the Patriots, Celtics, and the Bruins, to name a few.
Massachusetts does allow horse racing and Daily Fantasy Sports. However, the State legislature differentiates these two fields as separate from the other sports, like football or hockey.
For now, Massachusetts residents will have to venture outside the state to place a sports bet or use an offshore sportsbook. We highly suggest MyBookie for Massachusetts residents, but the others listed in this article will suffice.BetOnline Bonus Code
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus Get Offer
Sports Betting Guides State by StateWestSouthWestMidWestNorthEastSouthEast
Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Sites Comparison
Now that you know more about the 5 best-betting sites in MA, let’s take a closer look at how they stack up against one another:
Sportsbook Sign-Up Bonus Bonus Code Sports to bet on Live Betting Live Streaming BetOnline 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 40+ ✅ ✅ Bovada 75% 3x up to $750 N/A 40 ✅ ✅ MyBookie 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 25+ ✅ ❌ Everygame 3x $250 up to $750 INSIDERS 40+ ✅ ❌ XBet 50% up to $500 INSIDEX 25+ ✅ ❌ Lucky Block 200% Bonus up to 10,000 EUR + 50 Free Spins N/A 40+ ✅ ✅ BetUS 125% up to $2,500 INSIDERS 25+ ✅ ✅ BetNow 150% up to $150 INSIDERS 12+ ✅ ❌ BUSR 150% up to $2,500 INSIDER150 20+ ✅ ❌ Jazz Sports 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 15+ ✅ ✅
Discover Our Top Betting GuidesOffshore BettingOn the lookout for the best Offshore Betting Site? We have you covered, our guide compares the best gambling sites, providing top-tier bonus codes & more.Offshore BettingCash Out BettingJoin us as we look at the best Cash Out Betting Sites in the USA, providing useful tips, in-depth explanations and bonus codes.Cash Out BettingNew SportsbooksDon't miss out on the best New Sportsbooks in the USA 2023. Our guide covers everything you need to know, the latest features, bonus codes, & so much more.New SportsbooksHigh Limit BettingOur guide covers the best High Limit sportsbooks. Favoring those with the highest deposit limits, the largest welcome bonuses, and the best limits per wage.High Limit BettingSportsbooksDiscover more about the world of Sportsbook betting sites, reviewing the top 10 sites, where sports betting is legal, different types of bets, and much more.SportsbooksBetting AppsDo you prefer betting on your mobile? Explore betting on the go with our list of top-rated betting apps, featuring comparisons, top bonus codes, and more.Betting AppseSports BettingIn this guide, we cover everything you need to know about esports betting, from where it’s legal to what games are popular, to the top eSports betting sites.eSports BettingBest Sportsbooks on RedditThe Best Sportsbooks on Reddit - See which betting sites Reddit users rated as being the best. Join Today for $1,000 Bonuses and Free Bets!Sportsbooks on Reddit
Who can Bet on Sports in Massachusetts?
As of this moment, sports betting is still prohibited within Massachusetts. Unfortunately, that means residents of this state can’t formally gamble on professional or amateur sports.
However, Massachusetts does accept horse racing bets. State residents can safely place stakes on horse racing at sanctioned Massachusetts sportsbooks. You must be at least 21 years old to gamble at a Massachusetts casino. We recommend viewing our horse racing guide for pointers.
The best offshore sportsbooks in this article have their specific age requirements. Typically, Massachusetts residents must be at least 21 to set up an account there.
How to Bet on Sports in Massachusetts
If you reside in MA and want to join an offshore sportsbook, we help you get up and going.
1. Take Time to Read the Terms And Conditions
Before setting up an account, we highly recommend reading your preferred sportsbook’s terms and conditions. We highly recommend our top sportsbook BetOnline for Massachusetts residents.
Massachusetts residents need to understand the online casino’s rules to maintain an account in good standing. Our listed betting sites have an additional sportsbooks and rules sections worth reading.
2. Locate the Join or Registration Links
When you feel confident about officially registering, the next move is to enter the registration screen. The registration link or join button, is usually located at the top of the viewport. You can also find it in the footer section.
3. Familiarize Yourself with the Promotions Section
Online sports betting can seem daunting for new members. Betting sites like BetOnline extend a unique $1,0000 sports welcome to its new members.It also bestows a 25% sports reload package for its members. We highly recommend checking for any sports promotions before making a deposit.
4. Head to the Cashier
Before you can actualize most casino bonuses, you must make a deposit. Your chosen offshore sportsbook’s cashier displays all the deposit options. If you’re logged in, select your deposit method.
Most online casinos offer credit cards. However, before you can use them, you might have to an approved credit authorization form. We strongly suggest submitting this form to the cashier after registration. These forms might take some time to get approved.
5. Brush Up on the Sports Bets
Today’s virtual sportsbooks are so sophisticated that they might offer a glossary for sports bets and horse racing. In addition, different sites might provide additional types of sports wagers.
When will Betting be Legal in Massachusetts?
MA finally legalized sports betting in 2022 and the first retail sports betting sites opened on January 31st, 2023. Mobile sports betting online is on its way but probably won’t be available until March 2023 or later.
Still, the future of betting on college sports in MA is uncertain. The State Senate is considering another Massachusetts sports betting bill that explicitly prohibits betting on college sports altogether. Given that betting on college sports is expected to make up more than half of all sports betting in MA if betting is legalized, this would drastically reduce the amount of money that legalized betting brings into the state.
If Massachusetts sports betting is legalized, MA sportsbooks would likely be able to hit the ground running. Sports wagering is already legal in many of the surrounding states, including New York, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.
The July, 2022 Ballot to Legalize Sports Betting in Massachusetts
The last day to pass a sports gambling bill in Massachusetts to go into effect in 2022 is July 31st. This is the last day that Massachusetts’s state legislature convenes. Also going on right is a legal sports betting study. There isn’t a bill currently on the ballot.
Should MA pass a bill, prominent sportsbooks stand poised to capitalize in the Commonwealth market. Here is a list of some of the top sportsbooks that could be set up in the Bay State.
- DraftKings – Already has a strong presence in Massachusetts’ daily gambling. DraftKings maintains its headquarters in Boston.
- FanDuel – Maintains strong market share in fantasy gambling in Massachusetts.
- Caesars Sportsbook – Sports betting is the lifeline for Caesar Entertainment. It failed to open a casino in Suffolk Downs in 2013.
- Barstool Sportsbook – The parent company Penn National Gaming owns and operates Massachusetts’ Plainridge Park Casino.
- WynnBet – Already owns and operates the Encore Boston Harbor Casino.
- BetMGM Sportsbook – Has an app that ties into MGM Springfield.
- Local Businesses – 90 small businesses in the state submitted a letter to the state congress supporting legal gambling. Should it pass, Massachusetts businesses can incorporate retail sports betting.
Supporters and Opponents of the 2022 Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in Massachusetts
Even though there isn’t a formal sports betting bill on the ballot, that doesn’t mean there aren’t staunch supporters are detractors. The Basketball Insiders spotlight some of the strongest supporters and critics of legalized MA sports betting.
State House Speaker Rob Mariano remains vocal about passing legalized sports betting in Massachusetts. Current Mass. Governor Charlie Baker remains committed to signing a state sports gambling bill before leaving office. Prominent sportsbooks like DraftKings have donated money to help sanction sports gambling in Massachusetts.
Despite the strong outpouring of support for organized sports bets in Massachusetts, there is opposition. Senate President Karen Spilka is not on board with passing a bill. Also, Sen. Michael Rodrigues recently casted doubt on passing sports gambling legislation.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Massachusetts
There have been numerous attempts to pass organized sports wagering in the Bay State. We shine a light on the recent history of Massachusetts’ failed sports gambling bills.
- House Bill S.200 – Is submitted to the Economic Development and Emerging Technologies committee. This ballot is ultimately reconstituted to bill H.4559.
- H.201– A similar bill to S.200 also makes its way to the Economic Development and Emerging Technologies committee. Like S.200, it is repurposed to bill H.4559.
- Senate Bill 224 – Another sports betting regulation bill that transforms into bill H.4559.
- Senate Bill 229 – Yet another similar sports regulation bill that is overhauled.
- Senate Bill 231 – Is put forth to further push regulations for sports gambling in Massachusetts.
- House Bill 68 – Is meant to add additional parameters for organized sports gambling.
- House Bill 379 – Addresses regulation for online gaming and daily fantasy sports.
- House Bill 4559– Makes it to the Economic Development and Emerging Technologies committee. It is also submitted to the House Ways and Means committee. It ultimately dies in the House.
- House Bill 3974 – An act to regulate Massachusetts sports betting.
- House Bill 3993 – Revised from House Bill 3977 that is currently stalled in Massachusetts’ state congress.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Massachusetts
Because Massachusetts sports betting is currently illegal within the state, there aren’t official taxes. Massachusetts residents might pay state income tax on sports gambling winnings from online sportsbooks. MA imposes a variable income tax between 10% and 37%.
Because horse racing is legal in the Commonwealth, the Bay State does impose taxes on such winnings. Recently, Massachusetts approved a new tax to withhold an additional 5% on horse racing winnings over $600. To learn more, view our sports betting tax guide.
Read Our Sportsbook Payment GuideseCheck SportsbooksDiscover more as we reveal the best eCheck betting sites available; individually ranked, listing the pros and cons of each sportsbook.eCheckCash Out SportsbooksJoin us as we help you understand cash out betting, all whilst providing you with the best ranked and reviewed sportsbooks to use for cashouts & more.Cash OutBitcoin SportsbooksFind out the best sportsbooks and betting sites for bitcoin, and learn all about the best welcome bonuses, rebates, bitcoin terminology and much more.BitcoinCryptocurrencyWe unpack leading crypto sportsbooks & crypto betting site features, including platform reviews, deposit & withdrawal methods, welcome offers & more.Cryptocurrency
Payment Methods Available at Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Sites
Massachusetts residents can rely on the top ten sportsbooks listed in this article. A chief reason for their elite status is the plethora of user-friendly banking options. The Basketball Insiders team does the heavy lifting for you on the various sportsbooks banking options.
Crypto Betting Options
Most online sportsbooks have a cryptocurrency presence. Bitcoin is usually the main crypto option, but more of these lucrative sportsbooks expand to alternative versions. For example, MA residents might have the option of depositing with Litecoin, BitcoinCash, Ethereum, and Ripple.
eWallet Betting Options
Ease and instant access are what dedicated sports gamblers from the Bay State when interacting with the online sportsbook cashier. Major eWallets like Neteller and Skrill are staple banking options for sports betting casinos. These betting sites might also offer the PayPal eWallet and regional ones like Neosurf and ecoPayz to handle your financial affairs.
Traditional Payment Methods at MA Betting Sites
While some sportsbooks vary with crypto options and eWallets, the traditional payment method is the credit card. Wire transfer might be available as well. Visa and MasterCard are the standards, but some sportsbooks might offer American Express or Discover Card.
Using a wire transfer might incur a transaction fee and delay processing the deposit. Person 2 Person is another form of wire transfer emerging at online casinos.
Bonuses available at Massachusetts Sportsbooks
Online betting sites invest in promotions to entice new sports gamblers like Massachusetts residents to join. Casino bonuses also work to keep existing members. We highlight some essential sportsbook bonuses to wet your sports wagering appetite.
The Sports Welcome Package
Various online sites like Bovada and BetOnline offer unique sports welcome prizes for new members.
Reload with the Sports Rebate
When residents of the Bay State gamble at an offshore sportsbook, there’s a chance they might lose. To keep their spirits up, betting sites like BetOnline deliver a 25% reload bonus to its members. If Massachusetts residents need to deposit at least $50 and enter the bonus code LIFEBONUS.
Additional sports prizes include exclusive live bet features and mobile sports bonuses. SportsBetting.ag offers both.
Horse Racing Rebate
Massachusetts residents can gamble on horse racing at their preferred offshore sportsbook. BetOnline, Jazz Sports, BUSR and Bovada offer horse rebate bonuses to keep you on the winning track.
The Crypto Sports Boosters
It is en vogue for online betting sites to add additional incentives for using cryptocurrencies. One such way is through crypto sports bonuses. For example, Bovada offers a $750 Bitcoin welcome package for sports gambling.
Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our ReviewsBetonline Promo CodeUnlock the latest BetOnline Promo Codes through the power of our dedicated guide. Discover everything you need to know, from promo codes to withdrawal methods!BetonlineMyBookie Promo CodeClaim some of the best and most exciting promo codes with our MyBookie Guide. We walk you through the best bonuses, all while explaining everything inbetween.MyBookieBusr Promo CodeJoin us as we explore one of our top-rated sportsbook & online casino, BUSR. Providing you with the best BUSR promotions and bonus codes, and so much more.BusrBovada Promo CodeDiscover everything you must know about the latest promo codes at Bovada, we cover everything from welcome bonuses, and opportunities to boost your wagers.BovadaBetus Promo CodeExplore the world of BetUS, with our all-inclusive review. Covering everything you need to know, and providing our readers with the best and newest promo codes.BetusXBet Promo CodesCheck out XBet Sporsbook, with our full review. Learn about the betting site, and grab all the latest bonus code, including an 100% bonus for new players.XBetEverygame Promo CodesFind out how Everygame has created one of the biggest and best promo packs in the online gambling sector. Check out our review for the latest tips & top info.Everygame
Popular Sports to Bet on in Massachusetts
Massachusetts is home to legendary franchises like the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, Boston Bruins, and the Boston Celtics. Collegiate sports from the University of MA and Ivy League campuses like Harvard are top betting options. The Basketball Insiders walks you through the prime sports to bet on.NBAA comprehensive guide to betting on the NBA at the best betting sites in the US, featuring detailed reviews of the sportsbooks, lines, and odds.NBA BettingUFCEverything you need to know about betting on the world's most popular MMA organization, the UFC. Discover the best UFC sportsbooks and learn about the markets.UFC BettingMLBWhether it's the run line or parlay betting on the World Series, our MLB betting guide details everything you need to know about baseball betting in the US.MLB BettingNHLSkate over to the top hockey sportsbooks and claim huge bonuses when you register. Read up on puck line betting and other popular NHL betting markets.NHL BettingHorse RacingUnsure how to wager a trifecta at Preakness Stakes, or a quinella at Belmont? Our detailed horse racing betting guides will reveal all.Horse Racing BettingNFLA complete guide to betting on America's Game. Learn how NFL odds and markets work, read our reviews of the top NFL sportsbooks and prepare to beat the spread.NFL BettingNCAABFrom the NBA Draft to March Madness and everything in between, our NCAAB betting guide sets out the key components to betting on college basketball.NCAAB BettingEsportsDiscover the best esports betting sites for the world's most popular games: CS:GO, FIFA, CoD, WoW, and more. Use promo codes to claim rewards when you sign up.Esports BettingTennisOur team of betting experts presents a comprehensive overview of tennis betting markets, odds, key dates, and the best tennis sportsbooks in the USA.Tennis BettingGolfHoping to bet on The Masters, Ryder Cup, or US Open this year? Read our comprehensive golf betting guides first to increase your chances of success.Golf BettingPoliticsPlenty of sportsbooks now offer politics betting markets. Learn how to profit during the elections and claim lucrative sign-up bonuses when you register.Politics BettingBoxingLearn how to profit from the sweet science by reading our detailed boxing betting guide. Swing the odds back in your favor with reload bonuses and free bets.Boxing Betting
Score Big on Online NFL Sports Gambling
The New England Patriots are tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the most Super Bowl wins in NFL history. As a result, the NFL permits MA residents can eagerly place sports bets on their beloved Patriots at our partner casinos. We recommend BetOnline to get in on the Patriots’ action.
BetOnline permits New Englanders to place parlays, straight bets, the NFL Draft bets, and futures wagers, to name a few. Here’s a rundown on the professional football teams in Massachusetts.
MA sports fans have the New England Patriots to gamble on each year.
- New England Patriots – Future Hall of Famers Tom Brady and coach Belichek have led the team to six Super Bowl wins.
Bet on the NBA’s Boston Celtics
Massachusetts residents can follow and place wagers on their beloved Boston Celtics during basketball season. Many of our recommended NBA betting sites offer seasonal bonuses.
During the off-season, Bay State residents can still wager on the NBA Draft and NBA futures.
Massachusetts’ residents have these home-grown NBA teams to wager on.
- Boston Celtics – This storied franchise has the most NBA championships in history with 17.
Take a Swing at Gambling on the Boston Red Sox
The Boston Red Sox is a flagship Major League Baseball team. We are still high on BetOnline as the premier choice for Bay State citizens to gamble on the Red Sox. The standard teasers, spread bets, team and player futures are available. You can also check out our MLB betting guide to learn about baseball betting.
Commonwealth residents have much to celebrate and wager on with their MLB Boston Red Sox.
- Boston Red Sox – Play at the legendary Fenway Park, and winners of nine World Series.
Skate Your Sports Wagers on the Boston Bruins
Residents of the Commonwealth can gamble offshore on the Boston Bruins. While most of our partner sites deliver thrilling Hockey gambling, we recommend Bovada. This elite sportsbook offers NHL three-way bets, the AHL, and 19 European leagues.
Basketball Insiders highlights the professional hockey teams you can gamble on at an offshore sportsbook like Bovada. We also have some hockey betting pointers for your review.
We mention Massachusetts’ sole NHL team.
- Boston Bruins – Part of the six inaugural NHL teams with six Stanley Cup championships
Shoot Your Shot on NCAA Teams
The Commonwealth is home to renowned college teams like the Harvard Crimson and the Boston Eagles. So again, we encourage you to stick with BetOnline to gamble on live NCAA action and futures, to name a few. For more college basketball tips, you can read our guide.
We also shine a light on the top NCAA I college basketball teams awaiting sports in MA.
- Harvard Crimson – A prominent Ivy League school located in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Boston College Eagles – Offers both men and women basketball
- Boston University Terriers – Also has men and basketball for sports gambling
- University of Massachusetts – Commonwealth residents can wager on the Minutemen and Minutewomen
- Northeastern Huskies – A reputable and winning college program
When March Madness rolls around, our partner sportsbooks offer exclusive sports bonuses on how to gamble on March Madness and others.
Tackle Sports Gambling with the Premier Commonwealth NCAA Football Teams
MA is also a force for NCAA I college football. Massachusetts residents can wager on live college football, futures, teasers, and parlays. We list the college football programs in Massachusetts that you can gamble on at a sportsbook.
Here’s a quick list of the rewarding and popular college football teams in the Commonwealth.
- Boston College Eagles – A storied FBS program in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- Harvard Crimson – A reliable college to place sports bets
- University Of Massachusetts – Another reliable Commonwealth college club
Master Golf Betting In Massachusetts
MA has more than its share of professional and amateur golf. Residents of this state can gamble on major golf tournaments like the PGA. We recommend Bovada to handle your golf bets.
Massachusetts residents have extensive gambling options on future golf tournaments.
We also steer you to the prominent state golf tournaments in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Open – The official state golf tournament
- New England PGA – Occurs each year in Massachusetts
Ride to Victory with Online Horse Racing
MA is no stranger to championship horse racing. Commonwealth residents can pick our partners to handle their horse racing bets or they place bets at a state casino.
Here are some of the storied horse racing tracks accepting wagers in MA.
- Suffolk Downs – Has been around since 1935
- PlainRidge Park – Continues to amass more gambling wagers and is located near the Patriots’ Gillette Stadium
Daily Fantasy Sports New England Style
Daily Fantasy Sports gambling is legal in Massachusetts. Bay State residents can capitalize on elite fantasy sports sites like DraftKings and FanDuel. We highlight the top DFS sites for MA residents.
- FanDuel – Commonwealth residents can easily place daily bets on their teams
- DraftKings – Consider a promo code to make wagers
- Money Knife Fight – Also offers promotions for MA residents
- PrizePicks – Capitalize on their unique bonuses for professional and collegiate sports
Live Betting with Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Sites
Massachusetts residents can turn to our sportsbooks partners to place live bets. The major North American leagues and NCAA basketball and football feature live betting. We suggest BetOnline to place live bets on Massachusetts’ storied professional and collegiate sports.
BetOnline’s live betting arena comes with up to the minute odds. Massachusetts sports fans looking to make live college basketball bets can read our odds guide. Depending on the sport, BetOnline offers live bets during the game, and at halftime.
Learn More About Betting With BBI GuidesMoneyline BettingDelve into the concepts behind moneyline, including its calculator, spread comparisons, which online sportsbooks offer the best moneyline promotions, and more.Moneyline BettingPoints Spread BettingJoin us as we explore top spread betting sites, provide examples and detailed explanations at every turn to help increase your success rate, and more!Points Spread BettingOver Under BettingDiscover everything you need to know about Over Under Betting, from the best sportsbooks, how you can make more informed picks, and much more.Over Under BettingFutures BettingJoin us and learn about futures betting, how it works, how best to make money from futures betting and answer questions regarding this bet type, and more.Futures BettingHandicap BettingExplore how handicap betting works, which betting sites are best for handicap betting, strategies that will allow you to win more from these bets & more.Handicap BettingHedge BettingLearn how hedge sports betting works, where you can apply a hedge bet, which sports it works best with & how you can make guaranteed profits with hedge betting.Hedge BettingLive Sports BettingDiscover the top 10 best sportsbooks with live sports betting, the legality of live sports betting, some of the best bonuses out there and so much more.Live Sports BettingParlay Betting GuideExplore our parlay betting guide & learn everything from, what a parlay bet is, the different types, the best sportsbooks for parlay betting, the risks, & more.Parlay Betting GuidePolitics BettingJoin us as we highlight the politics betting sites that you can sign up with, as well creating an in-depth guide related to all things politics betting.Politics Betting
Bets that are Illegal in Massachusetts
Organized sports gambling is currently illegal in Massachusetts. The Bay State does allow wagers on Daily Fantasy Sports and horse racing. Our esteemed partner sportsbooks like MYBookie, offer plenty of offshore sports betting for Massachusetts.
How Massachusetts Sports Betting Stacks Up to other New England States
For now, Commonwealth sports fans must venture to neighbor New England states for legal sports gambling. New Hampshire’s sportsbooks is just a short drive away for Massachusetts’ residents. Many ventured to New Hampshire to place Super Bowl bets on the New England Patriots.
New Hampshire currently has two retail sportsbooks, the Brook and the Filotimo Casino and Restaurant. Rhode Island is also within driving distance from Massachusetts. It also has two land-based sports betting casinos, the Twin River Casino and Tiverton Casino. You can also peruse our Rhode Island sportsbooks section for extra info.
Casinos with Sports Betting in Massachusetts
MA passed the Expanded Gaming Act in 2011, which allowed for land-based casinos to operate in the state. However, the act puts significant restrictions on the number of casinos that are allowed to operate.
There are no land-based casinos in MA with sports betting because it is still illegal. MA has 2 licensed land-based casinos and one slots parlor:
- Encore Boston Harbor (casino; Everett, MA)
- MGM Springfield (casino; Springfield, MA)
- Plainridge Park Casino (slots parlor; Plainville, MA)
Land-based casinos are allowed to offer slots, table games, poker, and off track betting in Massachusetts. Plainridge Park Casino, the slots parlor, is only allowed to offer slot games.
In addition, 2 Native American tribes have plans to open casinos. The Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head has plans to open the Aquinnah Cliffs Casino in southeast Massachusetts. The Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe plans to open First Light Casino & Resort in Taunton. It is not yet clear when these casinos will be open for business.
In addition to land-based betting, MA is known for having a small industry of casino boats. These boats take gamblers into federal waters, where Massachusetts state laws around gambling don’t apply.
Notably, none of the current or planned casinos offer sports betting. That is likely to change if Massachusetts sports betting becomes legal, though, especially since physical casinos are likely to be taxed at a lower rate than online sports betting sites.
More on MA Gambling
Here’s a quick rundown on some of the different casino activities in Massachusetts.
- Best online casinos in Massachusetts
- Online gambling in Massachusetts
- Horse racing in Massachusetts
- Online poker in Massachusetts
MA Legislative Resources
For residents of Massachusetts interested in finding out more information on current legislation to do with sports betting and gambling in the state or would like to contact local and state representatives to express their opinions or concerns on the subject they can use the links below.
MA Gambling Resources
If you believe that you or someone you know has a gambling problem, then we encourage you to get in contact with the NCPG Massachusetts or the Massachusetts Office of Problem Gambling Services found at the links below, they can provide advice and local information, and treatment services in your area.
- NCPG Problem Gambling Resources in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts.gov Office of Problem Gambling Services
Best Online MA Sportsbook
While Massachusetts sports betting still isn’t legal, it’s increasingly looking like it will be soon. In the meantime, you can bet on sports with one of the top 10 online sportsbooks in Massachusetts. But, in our opinion, BetOnline is Massachusetts’ leading sportsbook with a 50% deposit match up to $1,000.Best Massachusetts Sportsbook
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus Claim Now
Massachusetts Online Sports Betting FAQs
Why don’t the Massachusetts gaming tribes have sports betting?
Betting on Massachusetts tribal lands is regulated by federal law rather than Massachusetts state law. So, Massachusetts tribes were only allowed to start operating sportsbooks in 2018 and have not yet moved to do so.
What is the best sports betting app in Massachusetts?
There are several contenders for the title of best sports betting app in Massachusetts, including the likes of MyBookie, BetOnline, XBet, Bovada, and BetUS.
When is Massachusetts going to have sports betting?
Massachusets legal domestic sports betting went live on the 31st of January 2023.
Is online sports betting legal in Massachusetts?
Legal sports betting in Massachusetts was legalized in 2022 and will go live in early 2023.
Where can I place bets in Massachusetts?
You can bet on sports online at an offshore sportsbook like MyBookie or Bovada. You can also bet on horse racing in person at a Massachusetts casino or online racebook.
What betting is legal in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts currently allows casino games at 3 licensed in-person casinos. You can also bet on horse racing at an in-person racebook or online.
Michael is based on Washington and has written for a variety of major online publications. He has an in depth knowledge of the US gambling market and writes state betting guides and sportsbook reviews for Basketballinsiders.
- Bronny James Will Wear No. 23 At McDonald’s All-American Game
- NBA Official Ben Taylor Demoted Following Fred VanVleet’s Comments
- WATCH: Kevin Love Presents Cameron Boozer with the Gatorade Florida High School Basketball Player of the Year Award
- Hornets center Nick Richards agrees to three-year, $15 million extension
- UNC Star Armando Bacot Stays for Final Year with Tar Heels Thanks to Lucrative NIL Deals