It’s no surprise that football betting has such a special place in punters’ hearts, with its unbeatable combination of excitement, drama, star power and a massive range of matches and markets to choose from. And Hong Kong citizens can’t get enough of the beautiful game, with the most exciting leagues and tournaments in the world available to watch on TV and wager on at football betting sites.
However, when it comes to online football betting in HK, even if you are an experienced bettor it can be tough to know which football betting sites to use. Fear not though because that’s where we come in, bringing you the 10 best sites that offer online betting on football in Hong Kong.
We will let you know which sites have the best welcome offers, how many football-specific deals are available, take you through some common football markets and types of bets, talk about Hong Jockey Club football betting and much more!
How we rank the best football betting sites
Online football betting in Hong Kong is a real treat as all of the best betting sites in Hong Kong have extensive football offerings. And our enormous experience of betting on football has enabled us to come up with specific criteria to enable bettors to pick a sports betting site based on the things that matter to them, which may differ from person to person.
- Safety – The trustworthiness of a sports betting site is our number one consideration, so we always make sure that all of the sportsbooks featured are licensed by a reputable Local Authority or Gambling Commission. And this is especially important when it comes to the Hong Kong online betting environment as the only legal online sportsbook is the Hong Kong Jockey Club, so a huge amount of bettors will look to offshore football betting sites that may be unfamiliar to them. The protection of customers’ personal details is also of great importance so we always recommend sites that have safety features such as SSL encryption technology and firewalls.
- Range of Leagues – Every sportsbook in the world will feature the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A, but when it comes to football betting in HK, fans are likely to want a wider selection of football leagues to choose from, including the Hong Kong Premier League and the Chinese Super League. So any site that wishes to attract new Hong Kong bettors must offer a wide range of football leagues to choose from.
- Markets – As we will outline later in this article, there are a huge range of markets to bet on within each and every football match, as well as longer-term bets available on the winners of football leagues and international tournaments.
- Live Betting – In play wagering is one of the fastest-growing features of online football betting in Hong Kong, thanks to the unique excitement that live betting can bring to the football wagering experience. Every online sportsbook features a live betting option, but not all sites feature live streaming of football matches or a wide range of statistics to guide your betting, so those that do are sure to be popular with in play fans.
- Extra Features – Extra features such as bet builder, cash out, free tips for football betting and football betting predictions, as well as bespoke betting elements such as suggested accumulators, can make the football betting online experience all the more immersive and enjoyable. So it’s always worth checking out a site’s special features when selecting a new online sportsbook.
- Football Promotions – Football-specific promotions that reward you for betting on the beautiful game are featured on many of the football betting HK sites included in this article. However, it’s important to realise that some football betting sites are far better than others when it comes to rewarding their football bettors!
- Mobile – Few countries in the region have as many smartphone users as Hong Kong, so it’s no surprise that a huge amount of football betting online fans in Hong Kong will look for a strong mobile offering from a sportsbook. Luckily, most football betting sites available to Hong Kong citizens offer dedicated football betting apps for iOS and Android and even those that don’t will usually have a mobile-friendly site when you access it in portrait mode on your phone.
- Banking – When it comes to deposit methods the times are definitely changing, with cryptocurrency and e-wallets becoming increasingly popular options when funding your betting account. And with Hong Kong becoming a hotbed for crypto, many punters will consider a site’s crypto deposit options as a key factor in their decision-making process.
Key Features of the Best Hong Kong Football Betting Sites
Here is a quick roundup of the most important features of the best football betting sites, and which of the entries in our top 10 list have them.
|Sportsbook||Live Betting||Live Streaming||Handicap Betting||Cashout||Bet Builder||Acca Insurance|
Most popular football betting markets
Wagering on the result of a football match is a huge part of all football betting but it is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to football markets. All of the football online betting sites we have featured here have a huge amount of markets to choose from, and we have outlined the most popular ones below.
When it comes to all football betting, the easiest bet to select is the result of the match itself as there are just three possible outcomes – a home win, an away win or a draw. There will always be a clear favourite which will often be the home team but can sometimes be the visitors, while the draw will always be priced up at longer odds.
Visit BK8 for match results markets
Handicap Football Betting
If you think that a particular team will not only win but secure a comfortable victory, then you can utilise a handicap football betting strategy to wager on them to come out on top by more than a certain number of goals. It works the other way too because if you believe that a team will lose but can at least keep the scoreline respectable, you can wager on them not suffering defeat by more than a set number of goals.
This is a sound football betting strategy when one team is a heavy favourite to win a particular game because you will pick up a better price by backing them with a -1 handicap, and gain even more favourable odds by betting on them with a -2 handicap or more.
Visit 1xBet for handicap football betting markets
If you’re looking for generous odds then betting on the exact score of a match is also an excellent strategy when it comes to online betting on football, as even the most likely scores will be priced up at around 7.00 and some of the more surprising scorelines may be as much as 101.00. And that means you could potentially bet on a number of different scorelines knowing that just one winning will lead to a profit.
Visit 22Bet for exact score markets
Half-Time / Full-Time Markets
To win this particular bet you need to correctly predict the game situation at half-time and at the end of the game. So for example you may want to wager on Team A leading at half-time but the game ending in a draw. Or you could predict Team A to be winning at half-time and then go on to win the game, or Team A to be winning at half-time but Team B ultimately emerging victorious.
This is a particularly popular bet when your research tells you that one or both of the teams playing have a habit of letting leads slip late in the game, or even if you think that one team will dominate from start to finish.
Visit redbet for half-time / full-time markets
When it comes to betting on the total goals in a match, while you can wager on the exact number a far more popular bet is to predict whether there will be over or under a certain amount of goals. The number will normally range from 0.5 all the way up to 8.5, so if you think there will be at least three goals in a match you would bet on over 2.5, but if you think it will be a low-scoring encounter with one goal or less then backing under 1.5 would be the way to go.
Visit FEZbet for total goals markets
Betting on a player to score is a popular bet because it doesn’t matter what the score is as long as your selection finds the net. When it comes to goalscorer odds the star strikers will usually be around the 2.0 mark but if you think a defender can find the net then you could be looking at a far tastier price of 9.0 or more!
And speaking of tasty prices, if you bet on a particular player to score first you will net yourself far better odds because the only way to win is for your selection to open the scoring. And the same applies if you wager on a particular player to score the last goal in a game.
Visit BetOnline for goalscorer markets
Both Teams to Score
Another popular football bet that isn’t dependent on the overall match result is betting on both teams to score, or even both teams not to score! So if your research tells you that both teams are in great goal scoring form but are also struggling to keep a clean sheet, then this could be the bet for you!
Visit BetWinner for BTTS markets
Football Transfers Betting
If there’s one thing that football fans like better than watching the game it’s talking about it, and one of the hot topics of conversation is always that players that may be coming and going from a particular club. And football transfers betting is a natural progression, where you can put your money where your mouth is if you think a certain player will find their way to a particular club.
And if you’re a fan of football transfers betting then you can also wager on the related market of the next manager to leave his job in a particular league.
Visit comeon! for Football transfers betting markets
Popular football betting promotions in Hong Kong
Football betting in Hong Kong is a hugely popular pastime, so if a football betting site wants to attract new customers and retain the ones they have then they had better have some eye-catching deals that can entice football betting fans. Here is a quick run-down of the most popular football betting promotions.
How to get the best football betting odds
In our experience, the competitiveness of a sportsbook’s football online betting odds is generally a low priority for Hong Kong bettors because not only is it widely recognised that football betting odds vary little across sites, with thousands of markets on offer it’s difficult to check which sportsbook, if any, has the best odds.
However, we also appreciate that some punters do take the odds seriously, so if we were to make a general recommendation it’s that often the larger, more established football betting sites offer the strongest prices because the newer sites tend to focus on things like customer offers and features to reel punters in.
What we will say is that despite being the only legal sportsbook based in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Jockey club lags behind when it comes to prices, as the HKJC football betting odds do not compare favourably with those on the featured offshore football betting sites.
How to claim and wager a football betting welcome bonus
None of the sites featured in this article offers a specific football betting welcome bonus but what they all have in common is a variety of welcome offers leading to cash bonuses that can be used on any football market. And before we get into how you can claim and wager a welcome bonus, it’s important to know the key terms we will be referencing:
- Deposit Match – Most welcome offers take this form, where a percentage of your initial deposit will be “matched” up to a certain amount, usually 100% but sometimes more or less.
- Minimum Deposit – There will often be a minimum initial deposit you will need to make in order to get your hands on a new customer deal.
- Minimum Bet – Sometimes you will need to make a minimum bet in addition to a minimum deposit, and the important thing to remember is that often these two amounts won’t be the same, so for example you may be required to deposit a minimum of $20 but wager at least $50.
- Minimum Odds – Your qualifying bets will frequently need to be placed at a minimum price in order to receive your bonus. These odds will usually be around even money (Evs) in fractional, or 2.0 in decimal odds. In addition, minimum odds can often come into play when you want to place a wager with your free bet.
- Wagering Requirements – When it comes to deposit bonuses there will often be wagering requirements (sometimes called rollover requirements) such as 10x, 20x, 35x, which will apply either to both your deposit and the bonus, or just the bonus. This doesn’t mean you have to make this number of bets, just that you need to wager this amount multiplied by your bonus before you can withdraw it. So for example, if you have a $500 bonus and a 10x wagering requirement, you will need to place $5000 in bets before you can get to your money. It’s always important to know what the wagering requirement is at the top betting sites because the higher it is, the harder it will be to put a run of successful wagers together without losing it all!
- Expiry Period – The bonus funds or free bets that you get will nearly always have some sort of expiry date, generally seven days but sometimes up to 21. If you do not use them or meet your wagering requirements within this time period, your bonus funds will disappear.
- Cap on Winnings – Certain offers will have a cap on how much real money you will be able to win.
- Eligibility Markets – When placing a qualifying bet or using a free bet, there are often certain types of betting markets and types of bets that will be excluded, such as bet builders or price boosts.
Receiving a welcome bonus is only the start of the journey because there will always be conditions that need to be met in order to withdraw any winnings from the betting of bonus funds, of which the two primary ones are usually a wagering requirement and placing your bets at minimum odds.
We have looked closely at all of the welcome offers at the football betting sites featured in this article and while they all feature at least a wagering requirement or minimum odds, there are some favourable deals depending on what your priorities are.
The most generous wagering requirement is at 1xBet, BetWinner and MELbet, who only need you to bet your bonus five times. However, the bets need to be accumulators with at least three selections at odds of 1.4 or more, which certainly reduces the chances of your bets being successful!
The only site without a wagering requirement attached to their welcome offer is redbet, but the downside is that in order to qualify for the maximum €100 welcome bonus you have to wager €400 in three separate stages.
Over at BK8, they do not require you to place your bonus bets at minimum odds, but there is a 12x wagering requirement of the total of your deposit and bonus, which is $2,400 if you earn the maximum bonus of $100.
And speaking of expensive wagering requirements, the largest 100% match bonus you can receive is $1000 at MyBookie, but on the flip side the combined amount of your initial deposit and bonus needs to be wagered 10 times to release any winnings from bonus funds, which means you would have to bet $20,000 dollars to release the cash!
|Bookie||Welcome bonus||How to claim|
|MyBookie||100% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Visit site|
|BetOnline||50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Visit site|
|MELbet||100% Deposit Bonus up to HK $1000||Visit site|
How to claim and wager a football betting welcome bonus
So let’s take the aforementioned MyBookie 100% first deposit bonus as an example and break down the welcome offer process step by step, and while the offers may be different on other football betting sites the sign-up procedure will be very similar. And as always you should check the terms and conditions beforehand!
Step 1: Register for an account
Head to the MyBookie home page and set up an account, which is a relatively easy process requiring you to input your personal details and create a username and password.
Step 2: Deposit funds
Deposit a minimum of $50 with the promo code MYB100. The maximum bonus you can receive is $1,000, so if you want to take full advantage then that’s the amount you should deposit.
Step 3: Pick a football market
Once your bonus has been issued you need to find the football market you wish to place a bet on from the wide range on offer at MyBookie.
Step 4: Place a bet…and repeat!
With no minimum odds to worry about you can pick whichever wager takes your fancy and bet on the outcome as usual. And then you need to repeat the process until you have bet 10 times the amount of your initial deposit and bonus.
Step 5: Withdraw bonus winnings
If you’re lucky enough to have any bonus funds left after meeting the wagering requirement then well done, you can finally withdraw your hard-earned cash by visiting the cashier section of the home page.
Ultimate football betting in Hong Kong tips
There is no magic football betting formula that will lead to guaranteed profits but when people ask us “What are the best football betting tips today?” we tell them that the following is our strongest advice to get the best out of their football betting experience and hopefully win some money along the way!
Football live betting
Live betting simply means wagering on any aspect of a football game that has already started. You can bet on the eventual winning team and any typical pre-game market once the match has kicked off, such as the next scorer (team or individual), whether a specific player will be booked/dismissed/score/create an assist, and much more.
Punters in Hong Kong love in play betting because you can take advantage of information gained from watching the match to inform your selections. All football betting sites will feature a comprehensive football in play section with a huge range of markets and statistics, but what separates the best sportsbooks is whether they can offer live streaming, with the best three outlined below:
|Bookie||Live streaming qualifying criteria||Go to site|
|BK8||Positive account balance||Visit site|
|1xBet||Positive account balance||Visit site|
HKJC Football betting
The Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) is a non-profit organisation providing lottery, horse racing and football betting. And with a government-granted monopoly, Hong Kong Jockey Club football betting is the only game in town when it comes to football betting sites based in Hong Kong.
To its credit, the HKJC is a non-profit organisation that donates a huge amount of money to charity each year, and they are the largest taxpayer in Hong Kong.
So HKJC football betting does at least come with some positive elements attached, rather than fattening the pockets of a yet another millionaire sportsbook owner! In addition, we liked the number of statistics available when it came to the HK Jockey Club football live betting service.
However, HK Jockey Club football betting does come with some significant drawbacks as the HKJC does not offer any welcome bonuses or existing customer offers, they have no special features such as bet builder, there is no live streaming and no football betting apps. Also when it comes to HKJC football betting odds, their prices do not compare favourably to those offered at the best football betting sites outside of Hong Kong.
So to sum up, Hong Kong Jockey Club football betting is a good option for those bettors who are worried about the legalities of wagering with offshore sportsbooks, those who like visiting bricks and mortar bookmakers, those that don’t care about the uncompetitive HK Jockey Club football betting odds and those who want to support such a charitable organisation.
However, when it comes to everyday betting the HK Jockey Club football betting experience is certainly inferior to that of the other football betting sites featured in this article.
Football Betting Predictions
There is a huge pool of information at your fingertips, with a wide range of tipsters providing free football betting tips ahead of every game that matters in the biggest leagues in the world. However, it’s important to know the potential pitfalls, such as scam artists asking for money for tips and then failing to provide them, or even ill-informed tipsters that clearly haven’t done the research they say they have!
We have encountered a huge range of reputable football betting odds experts that do not charge for football betting predictions, so we would recommend sticking to them, at least until you are more comfortable with the environment and can judge which paid-for tipsters are worth your time and money. And we would also recommend building up a good knowledge of football so that you can at least spot the tipsters that are not worthy of the name!
Football betting in Hong Kong bottom line
You may have heard the saying “Information is Power” and that is certainly true when it comes to football betting in Hong Kong, not only when it comes to the information you can find out about a particular football match, but the specific details of the main football betting sites available to Hong Kong bettors.
Our job in this article was to familarise you with the key elements of football betting in general, while at the same time giving you the lowdown about the best football betting sites and the services they provide, so you can make an informed decision about which ones are worthy of your time and money.
So now we have done that, we hope you can effectively maximise your winnings, minimise your losses and most importantly, enjoy your football betting experience. And of course, we wish you the very best of luck on your football online betting journey!