Navigating the betting landscape in Taiwan can be really tricky, with gambling being illegal for the most part but no specific regulations making betting online against the law. So we find ourselves in a situation where many reputable offshore sports betting sites can happily offer their services to Taiwanese punters. In this article, we will talk about the sports betting sites that are based inside and outside Taiwan, including the state-run Taiwan Sports Lottery and the most reputable offshore sportsbooks that accept Taiwanese bettors. We will be looking at new customer offers, the range of sports and markets, payment and withdrawal methods and everything in between!
Top 10 Betting Sites for Bettors in Taiwan
How we rank the best online sports betting sites in Taiwan
When it comes to the best online sports betting sites in Taiwan, there may be a lot to choose from but the criteria we judge the best betting sites by in our sportsbook reviews is far more specific. Here is a look at some of the most important considerations:
- Reputation – The legitimacy of sports betting sites is always one of the key factors when we write sportsbook reviews and articles such as this, so you can be 100% sure that any site featured on this page is safe and reliable. However, when it comes to selecting a specific sports betting site, you can never go wrong by signing up for an established sportsbook that has been trusted by bettors worldwide for many years. And as one of the most well-known, biggest and best bookmaker sites in the world, bet365 certainly fits that profile.
- Odds – The competitiveness of a site’s odds is not always high on a bettor’s list of priorities when selecting a new sportsbook. And that’s because not only is it hard to know exactly how a particular site’s odds match up with their rivals, but with such a huge range of sports and markets on offer from site to site, no sportsbook could ever claim to have the best odds across the board. However, when we took a good look at the sites featured in this article we found 1xBet to have a strong level of betting odds across a large variety of sports.
- Features – There are few more competitive industries than betting and what can often separate a sportsbook from their rival sports betting sites is the extra features they can offer punters that may not always appear on the average sportsbook. Features such as Bet Builders and Live Streaming are both useful and immersive and once again it’s the more established sites such as bet365 that are leading the way.
- Betting Markets – Football and horse racing may be the most popular sports to bet on worldwide but punters are often looking for more than that, particularly in countries such as Taiwan where more niche sports such as baseball are hugely popular. So assessing the range of betting markets on a sportsbook is always a big priority for us. And 22Bet has a fantastic range of sports for you to choose from, as well as the biggest selection of eSports we have ever seen!
- Usability – What attracts people to a new sportsbook is their new customer offer but one of the major factors that keeps them playing is a site’s ease of use, because no one is going to continue to use a sports betting site that has you punching the air in frustration when you are trying to place a wager! Punters need to be able to find the sports and markets they want to bet on easily and with as few clicks as possible, and in our opinion, Rabona may be a new kid on the block but they are doing a lot right when it comes to site navigation and usability.
- Promotions – The best betting sites feature new customer deals to encourage punters to bet with them, but many bettors are just as interested in ongoing offers such as free bets, odds boosts and reward programmes. And we found that Melbet & 22Bet have a great selection of existing customer offers.
Key features at the best sports betting sites in Taiwan
Here is a quick comparison of the different features that are available at the best sports betting sites in Taiwan:
|Sportsbook||In-Play Betting*||Live Streaming||Cashout||Minimum Deposit|
Best Taiwan betting sites 2022 by category
International betting sites that accept Taiwan players
When it comes to reputable Taiwanese betting sites the Taiwan Sports Lottery is the only option for bettors, but luckily there are a good number of well-established and trustworthy offshore sportsbooks that provide a far better betting experience. And having a bigger selection of sports betting sites is advantageous because you can pick and choose which site works best for you when it comes to special offers, deposit methods and the range of sports, instead of having to settle for whatever the only game in town presents you with!
Types of welcome bonus offers available in Taiwan
When you create a new account at an online sportsbook, you will nearly always receive a welcome offer of some sort, which will vary in amount depending on which Taiwan betting site you are dealing with. Here is a quick look at some of the different types of welcome offers you can expect from Taiwan sports betting sites:
The most popular welcome offer is certainly the deposit bonus, where you get your first deposit matched to a certain degree, often 100% but sometimes less. There are some generous deposit bonuses out there but beware the wagering requirements you need to meet before you can cash out the bonus funds.
Top Deposit Bonus Welcome Offers in Taiwan
- 22Bet – 100% Match Up To 4500 TWD
- Melbet – 100% Match, Up To 3500 TWD
- Betwinner – 100% Match, Up To 3250 TWD
Rather than matching your initial deposit, sometimes sportsbooks will offer you a free bet instead. Generally speaking, depositing a certain amount will be enough to qualify but there are occasions when you will need to place a bet too before you can receive your reward. However, a big advantage is that unlike match bonuses it’s more common to be able to keep the winnings from the free bet without any further betting requirements.
Risk-free bets are rarer but will be seen occasionally on a new sports betting site. This sees you placing a bet on a given market and if it’s a loser you will get your stake returned to you in the form of a free bet. Many punters use this as an opportunity to have a speculative punt at a big price, safe in the knowledge that if things don’t go to plan they can get their money back and start again!
Key bonus terms
It’s really important to know some of the key terms associated with new customer offers, so you can be aware of exactly how good a deal is under the surface and know what you need to do to qualify.
- Minimum Deposit – There will often be a minimum initial deposit you will need to make in order to get your hands on a given deal.
- Minimum Bet – Sometimes you will need to make a minimum bet in addition to a minimum deposit, and the important thing to remember is that often these two amounts won’t be the same, so for example you may be required to deposit a minimum of $25 but wager a minimum of $50.
- Minimum Odds – Often, your qualifying bets will need to be placed at a minimum price in order to receive your bonus. These odds will usually be around even money (Evs) in fractional, or 2.0 in decimal odds. In addition, minimum odds can often come into play when you want to place a wager with your free bet.
- Wagering Requirements – When it comes to a deposit bonus in particular there will often be wagering requirements (sometimes called rollover requirements) such as 10x, 20x, 35x. This doesn’t mean you have to make this number of bets, just that you need to wager this amount multiplied by your bonus before you can withdraw it. So for example, if you have a 3500 TWD bonus with a 20x wagering requirement you will need to place 70000 TWD in bets before you can get to your money. It’s always important to know what the wagering requirement is at the top betting sites because the higher it is, the harder it will be to put a run of successful bets together without losing it all!
- Expiry Period – The bonus funds or free bets that you get will nearly always have some sort of expiry date, generally seven days but sometimes up to 21. If you do not use them or meet your wagering requirements within this time period, your bonus funds will disappear.
- Cap on Winnings – Certain offers will have a cap on how much real money you will be able to win.
- Eligibility Markets – When placing a qualifying bet or using a free bet, there are often certain types of betting markets that will be excluded.
How to choose the best betting sites in Taiwan
Even taking into account the key features of the leading Taiwanese betting sites it can be tough narrowing down a shortlist of options. However, there are some additional questions you can ask yourself so that you can quickly figure out which sportsbook is the best fit for you.
Are Taiwanese bettors accepted?
If you have been able to gain access to a site then that will generally mean you can sign up from Taiwan, but it’s always worth checking before you have a proper look around the sportsbook.
Are New Taiwanese dollars offered as an account currency?
Not all of the sites available to Taiwanese bettors accept New Taiwanese dollars as an account currency, but thanks to e-wallets such as Skrill you can easily convert your funds into US dollars, Euros or even pounds and then deposit that way. Some bettors may even prefer that method as it keeps their deposits separate from their bank account. However, the downside is that e-wallets can be quite expensive as they charge fees to deposit and convert currency, and sometimes your bank will charge you as well!
Are local payment methods accepted?
The increased use of E-wallets to deposit into Taiwan sports betting sites has undoubtedly contributed to a surge in popularity of alternative payment methods in Taiwan. And the most popular local method is JKoPay, who along with Apple Pay and Japan-based Line Pay, account for 60% of the market. However, while Skrill and STICPAY are available at pretty much every Taiwanese sportsbook we have encountered, support for Line Pay and JKoPay is far rarer.
Does the betting site feature local and national sporting events?
Being able to place a bet on the English Premier League is a given on any of the sports betting sites available to Taiwan bettors. However, with baseball in particular being hugely popular, whether a sportsbook features the CPBL and also MLB will be a huge consideration for Taiwanese punters.
Sports markets available to Taiwan bettors
The leading sports betting sites in Taiwan have an enormous range of sports to bet on, including MLB odds, NBA odds, English Premier League odds and so much more! However, with the Taiwanese having a particular passion for certain events, here are a few of the most popular ones:
Baseball betting sites
Baseball is one of the most popular spectator sports in Taiwan and is even commonly considered to be Taiwan’s national sport, while Major League Baseball in the USA also has a home run-sized following. And so it follows that betting on the CPBL and MLB in the USA is an enormously popular pastime for Taiwanese punters.
Football betting sites
As one of the best leagues in the world, the English Premier League is hugely popular to watch and bet on all over the world, and Taiwan is certainly no different. The enormous amount of markets offered on football betting sites also provides a golden opportunity to make a profit.
League of Legends betting sites
A perfect example of the popularity of eSports in Taiwan is that the Taiwan eSports League is broadcast on the same channel that shows professional baseball. And League of Legends is by far the most popular eSports game in town, with League of Legends betting sites proving to be very popular. And wagering on eSports in general is also a big hit with bettors, which is reflected in the huge range of markets on sites such as 22Bet and 1xBet.
Where to find the best sports betting odds
You are never going to be able to find a sports betting site that always has the absolute best betting odds on offer for every single market, as some may be average when it comes to football odds but may offer amazing NBA odds, for example. However, some operators do manage to consistently deliver strong sports betting odds across the board. Here are some of the online betting sites with the best betting odds:
Payment methods available to bettors in Taiwan
There are many different ways that bettors in Taiwan can add funds to and make withdrawals from sports betting sites. And with the rules governing online gambling a bit more complicated in Taiwan than other countries, the needs of the Taiwanese punter are often different.
For example, e-wallets have assumed more importance as many people wish to keep their betting accounts separate from their bank accounts. So here are some of the most common payment methods you will come across:
Debit Cards and Credit Cards
Nearly all sports betting sites support payments made through debit cards and credit cards and they will usually need to be from major card issuers such as Visa or MasterCard. Many countries have banned credit card deposits to betting sites but given the confusion among online gambling in Taiwan it’s no surprise that isn’t the case here.
It’s safe to say that e-wallets are a very popular transaction option when it comes to online gambling sites, and even more so in Taiwan because many punters are keen to keep their bank accounts and betting accounts separate. We should also say that e-wallets are also very easy to use, provide currency conversion and process transactions quickly and securely. The only downside is that the fees can mount up, particularly if you are converting from one currency to another.
International wallets Neteller and Skrill are hugely popular and many Taiwanese punters will already be familiar with the hugely popular JKoPay, which is less widely accepted but certainly available at some sports betting sites.
Bank transfers are less popular than debit card deposits because they usually take more time, but for bettors who don’t care about linking their bank and betting accounts they can be a very safe deposit and withdrawal option. However, there are some operators that will charge you a fee for using a bank transfer and the minimum transaction sizes can be higher.
Paying with Cryptocurrency is considered more secure than credit and debit card payments because a customer’s data isn’t stored in a centralized hub where breaches commonly occur. And with Cryptocurrency transactions having a high level of privacy in general it’s no surprise to find that a large number of Taiwanese sportsbooks offer crypto as a payment method.
|Payment Method||Fees||Min Deposit||Min Payout|
|Credit Card/Debit Card||0%||$10 on average||$10|
|e-wallets||0% (e-wallets will charge you at their end though)||$10 on average||$10|
|Bank Transfer||0% (Banks might have a charge)||$10 on average||$10|
|Cryptocurrencies||0%||0.0001 BTC||0.00045 BTC|
Betting apps & mobile sports betting online in Taiwan
Over 80% of Taiwan’s 23 million inhabitants own a mobile device so it’s no shock that more and more people are looking to partake in sports betting online through their phone or tablet. The majority of sportsbooks will have an app you can download to your phone, but even the newer sports betting sites that have not introduced an app yet usually have an optimised site to look at in portrait mode on your mobile web browser.
And here is a look at some of the best operators when it comes to mobile sports betting in Taiwan:
How to open an account at a Taiwan sports betting site
Opening a new account at a sports betting site is generally a quick and easy process, where you can be up and running and placing a bet in a matter of minutes. The number of forms you need to fill in will vary from site to site but the information you need to provide is pretty standard across all sports betting sites.
Step 1: Visit the Website or App
The first step on the path to placing a wager is to head to your chosen sports betting site’s desktop home page or download their app, before clicking on “Register” or “Sign Up”.
Step 2: Registration
You will need to provide your full name, address, date of birth, contact details, and create a username and password.
Step 3: Deposit Money
Now you have your shiny new account it’s time to deposit some funds. Making a deposit will usually be a simple case of picking your chosen currency and payment method and then you should get access to your funds instantly.
Step 4: Start Betting
Once your account is up and running it’s time to place some bets, and while all sites are different when it comes to their layout, the general setup on every sportsbook is that the range of sports available can either be found at the top or the left-hand side of the page. Then it’s just a case of clicking the sport you wish to bet on, choosing the specific match or market and then selecting the price to add to your bet slip.
Step 5: Account Verification Before Withdrawing
A lot of sports betting sites require you to provide photo ID with your address on before you can withdraw any funds, and occasionally you might also be asked for the same ID when you sign up. This is a very common measure to make sure stolen cards aren’t being used, to prevent money laundering and also guard against under-age gambling.
Taiwan online betting laws
Gambling in Taiwan is prohibited by the Criminal Code of the Republic of China, with the only legal betting operators being the state-run Taiwan Sports Lottery sportsbook (more on that later) and government-run lotteries such as the Uniform Invoice Lottery.
However, when it comes to sports betting sites there are huge grey areas due to the fact that the relevant legislation for the prohibition on gambling is Article 266 of the Criminal Code, introduced in 1994, which states that “A person who gambles in a ‘public’ place or a ‘place’ open to the public shall be punished.”
Of course internet gambling did not take off until the late 1990’s so this rule doesn’t really apply, meaning that gambling laws essentially do not cover foreign online betting sites that are legal in other countries. And the unpopularity of the Taiwan Sports Lottery, as well as severely limited terrestri
al options over the last decade have meant that punters have turned to these offshore sports betting sites in their thousands.
That is not without risk though as despite the massive grey areas concerning whether using these websites is legal or not, some individuals have been pursued by the Criminal Investigation Bureau due to gambling online. However, it’s also fair to say that the authorities seem far more concerned with illegal operators within their own country than fully licensed and legitimate sports betting sites elsewhere, and thousands of people in Taiwan use offshore betting sites every day with no problems whatsoever.
However, as recently as 2019 the Taiwanese Ministry of Justice pushed for an amendment to the country’s criminal code that would explicitly make online gaming illegal and punishable by a hefty fine. And whether you see this as a move to benefit society or a cynical ploy to revive a faltering Taiwan Sports Lottery, these are concerning times for Taiwanese punters.
Taiwan Sports Lottery
As we’ve mentioned, the Taiwan Sports Lottery is the only 100% legal sports betting site accessible to the Taiwanese people, but it has come in for a lot of criticism over the years so as part of this article we thought it was vital that we judged it for ourselves, and sadly in our opinion the criticism is justified!
There are no new or existing customer offers and when we visited we could only find seven sports available to bet on, with just two eSports markets, which is far fewer than any of their offshore rivals. And when we compared odds for all of those sports against a couple of TSL’s “rivals” we found them to be extremely uncompetitive across the board.
We can give them a lot of credit for an excellent statistics section featuring baseball, NFL, football and tennis, but with so little else to recommend we can completely understand why Taiwanese bettors would look elsewhere.
Practical betting tips
Placing a wager at a sports betting site should always be an enjoyable, immersive and stress-free experience, but we have learned over time that there are specific tips you can follow in order to ensure that this is the case:
It’s not easy if you’re a Taiwanese fan of sports betting sites, with the only sportsbook that is 100% legal having many flaws and the uncertainty over wagering with offshore operators potentially taking away some of the enjoyment of gambling online.
However, we can assure you that as long as you are betting with the very best bookmaker sites that are popular worldwide and trustworthy, there is a very strong chance that your betting experience will be no different to the millions of other bettors worldwide
And now we have taken you through some of the best sports betting sites available to Taiwan punters and talked about how to ensure you are gambling responsibly, it’s up to you to decide which site works best for you and which sports you want to focus on, and we wish you all the best on your sports betting journey!