Phil Jackson’s first substantive chat with Derek Fisher about the New York Knicks’ coaching job is scheduled to take place this week, according to sources close to the situation.
Sources told ESPN.com Monday that Jackson is planning to connect with Fisher by week’s end, giving the Oklahoma City Thunder guard some time to decompress after his team was eliminated by San Antonio Saturday night in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals.
One source cautioned that the discussion shouldn’t be classified as a formal interview, given the long and close working relationship between Jackson and Fisher during their two stints together as coach and player with the Los Angeles Lakers. But another source close to the process told ESPN.com that he thinks Fisher will ultimately find the allure of coaching in New York under Jackson too difficult to pass up.
- Kevin Durant requests trade from Nets, wants to play for Heat or Suns
- Deandre Ayton Next Team Odds, Pistons’ Odds Increase by 25%
- Spurs trade Dejounte Murray to Hawks for Gallinari, two first-round picks
- P.J. Tucker signs with 76ers on three-year, $30 million contract
- Collin Sexton Next Team Odds, Pacers’ Odds Increase by 15%