New Detroit Pistons coach and president Stan Van Gundy is close to hiring Marist coach Jeff Bower as general manager, according to Yahoo Sports.
Bower also has longtime experience in the NBA. In 15 years with the Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets, Bower served in a variety of capacities including general manager, coach and scout.
Bower spent last season at Marist, finishing 12-19.
Working under Van Gundy, Bower will take over the management side of the team, which will likely include leading negotiations with free agents and rookies and overseeing the scouting department, among other duties.
Bower worked in the Hornets’ front office until he took over as interim coach in 2009 when Byron Scott was fired. Bower left the team after the 2008-09 season.
Van Gundy also reportedly considered former NBA president of basketball operations Stu Jackson and former Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith.
- Nuggets’ Jamal Murray (knee) questionable, Zeke Nnaji (shoulder) doubtful vs. Magic
- 76ers coach Doc Rivers on LeBron James: ‘He’s going to have the greatest career’
- Pelicans, Wolves, Raptors are competing in last minute talks to trade for Denver’s Bones Hyland
- Getting To Know The Four 2023 Dunk Contest Participants
- The 2023 Jordan Rising Stars draft results are in as Paolo Banchero was chosen first by Team Pau
Legal 4 days ago
New Jersey’s Atlantic City casinos could soon see smoking banned
NBA 1 week ago
Exclusive Ronny Turiaf Interview: Wembanyama is “1 of 1”, Gonzaga has what it takes to win the national title, France can compete with USA Basketball
Main Page 1 week ago
Jordan Brand unveils 2023 NBA All-Star Game uniforms
Headlines 1 week ago
Anthony Davis calls out NBA officiating