Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant, who led the league in scoring with 32 points per game, is expected to be named league MVP early next week, ESPN.com reported Saturday.
This would not be a surprise since it had been widely anticipated throughout the league that Durant would earn the award for the first time in his career.
Miami Heat forward LeBron James won back-to-back MVPs the previous two seasons.
ESPN.com reported that the most likely scenario is a Monday or Tuesday news conference and a pregame ceremony Tuesday or Wednesday right before Game 1 of the second round of the Western Conference playoffs, provided that Durant’s Thunder win their Game 7 at home Saturday night against the Memphis Grizzlies.
If the Thunder lose, the announcement would more than likely come later.
The NBA took a week off from the awards announcements in the wake of the Donald Sterling scandal.
- Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman is dropping his own signature wine
- FSG reveals investment plan with LeBron James for potential Las Vegas NBA expansion
- Former Warriors GM Bob Myers regrets not signing Tyrese Haliburton in 2020 NBA Draft
- WATCH: Lakers bench in awe after LeBron James drops in three-consecutive threes vs. Pelicans
- Tyrese Haliburton mocks Damian Lillard while imitating his signature “Dame Time” celebration
NBA 2 weeks ago
Kevin Durant reveals he requested a trade out of Brooklyn because they didn’t ‘build an identity’
NBA 1 week ago
NBA legend Kevin Garnett revealed he plans to ‘dedicate’ a son to Kobe Bryant
Headlines 2 weeks ago
Michael Malone to Make Changes to Bench
NBA 2 weeks ago
Who will win the 2024 NBA Title? Analyzing the top NBA Championship contenders