Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Serge Ibaka contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
NBA Draft: No. 25; No. 56 to the Charlotte Hornets (Miles Bridges)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: David Michineau (2016-39th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th)
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, two non-guaranteed, two player option, one two-way
PG: Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo, Terance Mann, Yogi Ferrell
SG: Paul George, Luke Kennard, Jayden Scrubb (two-way)
SF: Kawhi Leonard (PO)
PF: Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu
C: Ivica Zubac, Serge Ibaka (PO, injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Serge Ibaka had back surgery, timeline TBD as of 6/11/21.
- Trade Exception (Landry Shamet, expiring 7/30/21) — $1,995,120
- Trade Exception (Rodney McGruder, expiring 7/30/21) — $497,418
- Trade Exception (Mfiondu Kabengele, expiring 2/8/22) — $2,075,880
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Serge Ibaka)
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Yogi Ferrell $1,977,011 — 1/7/22
- Terance Mann $1,782,621 — 8/25/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Kawhi Leonard $36,016,200 (player)
- Serge Ibaka $9,720,900 (player)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Kawhi Leonard ($39,344,900 on opt out), Patrick Patterson ($4,001,015), Reggie Jackson ($1,669,178), Amir Coffey (RFA, two-way, $1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Serge Ibaka ($11,109,600 on opt out), Nicolas Batum ($1,669,178), DeMarcus Cousins ($1,669,178)
- Amir Coffey $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (Dee Brown general manager, Brian Adams head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jayden Scrubb
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Steve Ballmer
- Lawrence Frank — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Michael Winger — general manager
- Mark Hughes — assistant general manager
- Trent Redden — assistant general manager
- Jerry West — consultant
- Jason Piombetti — director of college player personnel
- Jud Winton — vice president, research and analytics
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue
Assistants: Dan Craig (associate head coach), Kenny Atkinson, Jeremy Castleberry, Larry Drew, Brendan O’Conner, Roy Rogers, Shaun Fein, Chad Bell, Natalie Nakase, Dahntay Jones, Beau Levesque, Cam Hodges
Trainers: Jasen Powell
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-54 protected) from the Sacramento Kings (Mfiondu Kabengele).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2023 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George). Pick may go to the Boston Celtics (Kemba Walker).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Rajon Rondo).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $2,744,338 to the Sacramento Kings (Mfiondu Kabengele), $1,350,000 to the Atlanta Hawks (Rajon Rondo) — $1,522,662 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/30/21 — Landry Shamet and Rodney McGruder trade exceptions expire.
- 7/30/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Yogi Ferrell.
- 7/31/21 — Player option on Kawhi Leonard.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Luke Kennard.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Poison pill on Luke Kennard expires.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- 8/25/21 — Terance Mann’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — Yogi Ferrell’s $1,977,0111 guarantees for 20211-22.
- 2/8/22 — Mfiondu Kabengele trade exception expires.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Daniel Oturu.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Terance Mann and Ivica Zubac.
- 8/1/22 — Terance Mann’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/24 — Player option on Paul George.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on Luke Kennard.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Rajon Rondo has $750,000 in unlikely incentives for 2020-21 and 2021-22, triggered by 33 games played with his team making the playoffs.
- Kawhi Leonard — 15 percent
- Serge Ibaka — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Luke Kennard — $12,254,765 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)