Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Reggie Jackson, Eric Bledsoe, Keon Johnson, James Preston
SG: Terance Mann, Luke Kennard, BJ Boston Jr, Jayden Scrubb (two-way)
SF: Paul George, Justise Winslow, Kawhi Leonard (injured)
PF: Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris
C: Ivica Zubac, Serge Ibaka (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Serge Ibaka had back surgery, timeline TBD as of 6/11/21. Kawhi Leonard is injured (ACL), timeline TBD as of 7/13/21
- Trade Exception (Mfiondu Kabengele, expiring 2/8/22) — $2,075,880
- Trade Exception (Rajon Rondo, expiring 7/18/22) — $8,250,000
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Justise Winslow, James Preston, BJ Boston Jr)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Patrick Patterson ($4,001,015), Amir Coffey (RFA, two-way, $1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: DeMarcus Cousins ($1,669,178)
- Amir Coffey $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed, issued)
Waived Players: Yogi Ferrell
Traded Players: Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo, Daniel Oturu
G-League Affiliate: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (Dee Brown general manager, Brian Adams head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jayden Scrubb
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Steve Ballmer
- Lawrence Frank — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Michael Winger — general manager
- Mark Hughes — assistant general manager
- Trent Redden — assistant general manager
- Jerry West — consultant
- Jason Piombetti — director of college player personnel
- Jud Winton — vice president, research and analytics
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue
Assistants: Dan Craig (associate head coach), Kenny Atkinson, Jeremy Castleberry, Larry Drew, Brendan O’Conner, Roy Rogers, Shaun Fein, Chad Bell, Natalie Nakase, Dahntay Jones, Beau Levesque, Cam Hodges
Trainers: Jasen Powell
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2023 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George). Pick may go to the New York Knicks (Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Rajon Rondo).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $2.5 million to the New Orleans Pelicans (BJ Boston Jr) — $3,285,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/20/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Eric Bledsoe.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Nicolas Batum, Justise Winslow and Kawhi Leonard.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Reggie Jackson.
- 2/8/22 — Mfiondu Kabengele trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Terance Mann and Ivica Zubac.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on Nicolas Batum.
- 6/30/22 — Eric Bledsoe’s $19,375,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/18/22 — Rajon Rondo trade exception expires.
- 8/1/22 — Terance Mann’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Keon Johnson.
- 6/30/23 — BJ Boston Jr’s $1,836,096 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 7/2/23 — James Preston’s $1,836,096 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 10/31/23 — Team option on Keon Johnson.
- 6/29/24 — Player options on Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on Luke Kennard.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines on James Preston and BJ Boston Jr.
- Before the first day of the 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Keon Johnson.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for Keon Johnson.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Rajon Rondo has $750,000 in unlikely incentives for 2020-21 and 2021-22, triggered by 33 games played with his team making the playoffs.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Quentin Grimes (2021-25th).
- 7/29/21 — Traded a Detroit Pistons 2026 second-rounder and $1,522,662 to the Orlando Magic for the rights to Jason Preston (2021-33rd).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Quentin Grimes (2021-25th) and a Detroit Pistons 2024 second-rounder to the New York Knicks for Keon Johnson (2021-21st).
- 7/30/21 — Landry Shamet ($1,995,120) and Rodney McGruder ($497,418) trade exceptions expired.
- 7/31/21 — Serge Ibaka opted into his final season.
- 8/1/21 — Issued a qualifying offer to Amir Coffey.
- 8/1/21 — Kawhi Leonard opted out of his final season.
- 8/2/21 — Poison pill on Luke Kennard expired.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Keon Johnson (2021-21st) to a $12,517,291 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/7/21 — Traded $2.5 million and a 2022 Sacramento Kings second-rounder (top-54 protected) to the New Orleans Pelicans for BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st).
- 8/7/21 — Signed Justise Winslow to a two-year $8 million contract, via the taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Jason Preston (2021-33rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,461,917 contract, via the taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/9/21 — Signed BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,324,872 contract, via the taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/11/21 — Re-signed Reggie Jackson to a two-year $21,599,760 contract, via Early Bird Rights.
- 8/12/21 — Re-signed Kawhi Leonard to a four-year $176,265,152 contract, via Early Bird Rights, player option on the final season.
- 8/13/21 — Re-signed Nicolas Batum to two-year $6,498,559 contract, via Non-Bird Rights, player option on the final season.
- 8/16/21 — Traded Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo (generating an $8,250,000 trade exception) and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for Eric Bledsoe.
- 8/25/21 — Terance Mann’s $1,782,621 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 9/5/21 — Waived Yogi Ferrell.
- Kawhi Leonard — 15 percent
- Serge Ibaka — 15 percent
- Reggie Jackson — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: David Michineau (2016-39th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th)
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/12/21)