Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, one player option, one non-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Terance Mann
SG: Paul George, Landry Shamet, Rodney McGruder
SF: Kawhi Leonard, Amir Coffey (two-way)
PF: JaMychal Green (PO)
C: Iviza Zubac, Joakim Noah, Mfiondu Kabengele
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jerome Robinson, expiring 2/6/21) — $3,567,720
- Trade Exception (Derrick Walton Jr., expiring 2/6/21) — $1,445,697
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft: 57th; 27th to the New York Knicks (Marcus Morris)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Mathias Lessort (2017-50th), David Michineau (2016-39th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Joakim Noah $2,692,991 — 12/21/20
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Montrezl Harrell ($11,400,000), JaMychal Green (PO, $9,057,300)
- Early Bird: Johnathan Motley (RFA**, $1,445,697)
- Non-Bird: Marcus Morris ($18,000,000), Patrick Patterson ($1,620,564), Reggie Jackson ($1,620,564)
** Restricted, pending qualifying offer.
- Johnathan Motley– $1,678,854 ($81,955 guaranteed)
- Landry Shamet
- Mfiondu Kabengele
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- Kawhi Leonard — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (Dee Brown general manager, Brian Adams head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Amir Coffey
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue
Assistants: Dan Craig (associate head coach), Kenny Atkinson, Chauncey Billups, Larry Drew, Roy Rogers, Cam Hodges, Shaun Fein, Dahntay Jones, Beau Levesque, Jeremy Castleberry, Brendan O’Conner, Natalie Nakase
Trainers: Jasen Powell, Joe Resendez (assistant athletic trainer), Richard Williams (strength and conditioning), Mark Simpson (director of performance), Brent Tanaka (assistant strength and conditioning coach), Tommy Murdock (assistant athletic trainer)
- Lawrence Frank — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Michael Winger — general manager
- Mark Hughes — assistant general manager
- Trent Redden — assistant general manager
- Jerry West — consultant
- Jason Piombetti — director of college player personnel
- Jud Winton — director of analytics
- Jordan Borucki — basketball operations manager
- Annemarie Loflin — chief of staff of basketball operations
- 2021 — The New York Knicks have swap rights, provided the Clippers’ pick is lower than 4th (Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets (Miles Bridges).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Derrick Walton Jr.).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2023 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 to the Miami HEAT (Jimmy Butler); $1,313,576 from the Los Angeles Clippers (Derrick Walton Jr.) — $4,193,424 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft.
- 11/19/20 — Player option on JaMychal Green.
- 11/19/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Johnathan Motley.
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/27/20 — Deadline to withdraw qualifying offer to Johnathan Motley.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/21/20 — Joakim Noah’s $2,692,991 guarantees.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team options on Landry Shamet and Mfiondu Kabengele.
- 2/6/21 — Jerome Robinson and Derrick Walton Jr. trade exceptions expire.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 6/29/21 — Player options on Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.
- 7/15/21 — Rodney McGruder’s $5 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- TBD — Terance Mann’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22 (was 8/1/21, projected to be 9/2/21).
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Landry Shamet.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Mfiondu Kabengele.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Landry Shamet.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Terance Mann and Ivica Zubac.
- 8/1/22 — Terance Mann’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines on Mfiondu Kabengele.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Mfiondu Kabengele.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 9/28/20 — Agreed to part ways with coach Doc Rivers.
- 10/20/20 — Hired coach Tyronn Lue.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/20)