Quick: Currently over the cap and in the tax.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Thirteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Tomas Satoransky, Chasson Randle, John Wall (injured)
SG: Bradley Beal, Ron Baker, Jordan McRae (two-way)
SF: Trevor Ariza, Sam Dekker, Troy Brown Jr., Devin Robinson (two-way)
PF: Jeff Green, Otto Porter, Markieff Morris (injured)
C: Thomas Bryant, Ian Mahinmi, Dwight Howard (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Sheldon Mac, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,312,611
- Trade Exception (Marcin Gortat, expiring 2/26/19) — $957,609
- Trade Exception (Jodie Meeks, expiring 10/15/19) — $694,405
- Trade Exception (Jason Smith, expiring 12/7/19) — $5,450,000
- Trade Exception (Kelly Oubre, expiring 12/17/19) — $3,208,630
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $0 (Dwight Howard)
Waived Players: Lavoy Allen, Chasson Randle, Chris Chiozza, Tiwian Kendley, Oleksandr Kobets, Chasson Randle, Okaro White, Ron Baker
Traded Players: Marcin Gortat, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith, Austin Rivers, Kelly Oubre
- Otto Porter — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Chasson Randle (signing restriction), Ron Baker (signing restriction)
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Pops Mensah-Bonsu general manager, Jarell Christian head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Devin Robinson, Jordan McRae
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Head Coach: Scott Brooks (five-year, $35 million deal starting for 2016-17 season)
Assistants: Tony Brown, Robert Pack, Ryan Richman, Kristi Tolliver, Chad Iske, Mike Terpstra, Maz Trakh, David Adkins
Trainer: Eric Waters
- Ernie Grunfeld — president
- Tommy Sheppard — senior vice president of basketball operations
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Atlanta Hawks (Sheldon Mac).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Denver Nuggets or Charlotte Hornets (Kelly Oubre, Jamal Crawford, Timofey Mozgov).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Milwaukee Bucks (Jared Dudley, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Milwaukee Bucks (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $500,000 to Milwaukee Bucks (Jason Smith) — $4,743,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 2/7/19 — No-aggregation deadline expires for Sam Dekker.
- 2/7/19 — Trade deadline.
- 2/8/19 — Sheldon Mac trade exception expires.
- 6/26/19 — Marcin Gortat trade exception expires.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Dwight Howard.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sam Dekker, Tomas Satoransky, Ron Baker, Chasson Randle and Thomas Bryant.
- 10/15/19 — Jodie Meeks trade exception expires.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Troy Brown Jr.
- 12/7/19 — Jason Smith trade exception expires.
- 12/17/19 — Kelly Oubre trade exception expires.
- 6/30/20 — Otto Porter’s player option.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Troy Brown Jr.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Troy Brown Jr.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Troy Brown Jr.
- 6/30/22 — John Wall’s player option.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/12/18 — Jodie Meeks opted into the final year of his contract.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Troy Brown Jr. (15th) and Yusuf Sanon (44th).
- 6/26/18 — Traded Marcin Gortat to Los Angeles Clippers for Austin Rivers.
- 6/29/18 — Jason Smith opted into the final year of his contract.
- 7/2/18 — Claimed Thomas Bryant off waivers (Los Angeles Lakers).
- 7/4/18 — Signed Troy Brown Jr. (2018-15th) to a $14,511,964 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/10/18 — Reportedly agreed to sign Jeff Green to a one-year $2,393,887 contract.
- 7/11/18 — Signed Dwight Howard to a two-year $10,940,850 contract, player option in final season.
- 9/7/18 — Signed Chris Chiozza to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/10/18 — Signed Tiwian Kendley to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/10/18 — Signed Jordan McRae to a two-way contract.
- 9/18/18 — Signed Lavoy Allen to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,893,447 minimum summer contract.
- 9/19/18 — Signed Chasson Randle to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/13/18 — Signed Oleksandr Kobets to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/18 — Traded Jodie Meeks and cash (TBD) to the Milwaukee Bucks, reducing the protection on the Wizards’ 2020 second-rounder to top-45.
- 10/30/18 — Signed Chasson Randle to a one-year $1,337,872 minimum contract.
- 11/23/18 — Signed Okaro White to a non-guaranteed rest-of-season $1,187,862 minimum contract.
- 12/7/18 — Traded Jason Smith, adjusted protections on a 2020 second-rounder and sent $500,000 to the Milwaukee Bucks, and sent a 2022 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Sam Dekker.
- 12/17/18 — Traded Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers to the Phoenix Suns for Trevor Ariza.
- 12/18/18 — Signed Chasson Randle for the rest of the season at $869,094.
- 12/21/18 — Signed Ron Baker for the rest of the season at $948,580.
- 1/10/19 — Chasson Randle’s $869,094 guaranteed for 2018-19.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Ramon Sessions ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Ty Lawson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Yusuf Sanon (2018-44th), Aaron White (2015-49th)
Arena: Capital One Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/16/19)