Quick: Over the cap, hard-capped by the Ish Smith signing
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to $14.9 million in cap space.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Ish Smith, Shabazz Napier, Gary Payton II, John Wall (injured)
SG: Bradley Beal, Jerome Robinson, Admiral Schofield, Garrison Mathews (two-way)
SF: Isaac Bonga, Troy Brown Jr.
PF: Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans
C: Ian Mahinmi, Moritz Wagner, Johnathan Williams (two-way), Anzejs Pasecniks, Thomas Bryant (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Tomas Satoransky, expiring 7/7/20) — $1,432,280
- Trade Exception (Jordan McRae, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,645,347
- Trade Exception (Isaiah Thomas, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,520,564
- Mid-Level Exception — $1,359,690 (Ish Smith, Justin Robinson, Admiral Schofield)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Jonathon Simmons, Tarik Phillip, Michael Cobbins, Kellen Dunham, Justin Anderson, Jemerrio Jones, Phil Booth, Dikembe Dixson, Jalen Jones, Anzejs Pasecniks, Chris Chiozza (two-way), Johnathan Williams, Justin Robinson, CJ Miles
Traded Players: Dwight Howard, Isaiah Thomas, Jordan McRae
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Pops Mensah-Bonsu general manager, Ryan Richman head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Garrison Mathews, Johnathan Williams
Head Coach: Scott Brooks (five-year, $35 million deal starting for 2016-17 season)
Assistants: Robert Pack, Mike Terpstra, Mike Longabardi, Dean Oliver, Corey Gaines, Jarell Christian, David Adkins (director of player development), Kristi Tolliver
Development assistant coaches: Kristi Tolliver, Kamran Sufi, Alex McLean, Landon Tatum, Ryan Lumpkin, Jimmy Bradshaw, Isaac Jenkins, Mike Williams
Trainer: Eric Waters
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Mark Simpson — vice president of player performance
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- 2020 — Owed a the higher second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (56-60) and Memphis Grizzlies (56-60) (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2020 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jared Dudley, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from either the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Markieff Morris).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1.1 million to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis) — $4,517,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- Note: NBA temporarily in a moratorium/on hiatus.
- 6/29/20 — Isaac Bonga’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/7/20 — Tomas Satoransky trade exception expires.
- 7/8/20 — Anzejs Pasecniks’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/8/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $100,000 for 2020-21.
- 7/20/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $250,000 for 2020-21.
- 9/20/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $350,000 for 2020-21.
- First day of the season — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $500,000 for 2020-21.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Troy Brown Jr., Jerome Robinson, Moritz Wagner and Rui Hachimura.
- 1/10/21 — Justin Robinson’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 2/6/21 — Isaiah Thomas and Jordan McRae trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga.
- 7/4/21 — Admiral Schofield’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/10/21 — Anzejs Pasecniks and Justin Robinson’s $1,782,621 guarantee for 2021-22.
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines for Troy Brown Jr., Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Troy Brown Jr., Justin Robinson, Admiral Schofield, Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
- 6/30/22 — Bradley Beal and John Wall’s player options.
- Before first day of the 2022 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/2/19 — President Ernie Grunfeld fired.
- 4/18/19 — Dwight Howard opted into the final year of his contract.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 9th pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Rui Hachimura (9th).
- 6/21/19 — Traded $2,000,000 to the Philadelphia 76ers for Jonathon Simmons and the rights to Admiral Schofield (42nd).
- 6/22/19 — Declined team option on Jabari Parker.
- 6/25/19 — Extended qualifying offers to Thomas Bryant, Tomas Satoransky and Bobby Portis.
- 6/26/19 — Marcin Gortat trade exception expired.
- 6/26/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offers to Sam Dekker and Chasson Randle.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Rui Hachimura (2019-9th) to a $20,341,348 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Dwight Howard to the Memphis Grizzlies for CJ Miles.
- 7/6/19 — Traded $1.1 million to the New Orleans Pelicans for Isaac Bonga, Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones and a 2022 second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers with Anthony Davis going from the Pelicans to the Lakers.
- 7/6/19 — Renounced Trevor Ariza, Jabari Parker and Sam Dekker.
- 7/6/19 — Re-signed Thomas Bryant to a three-year $25 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Waived Jonathon Simmons.
- 7/7/19 — Sent Tomas Satoransky, via sign and trade, to the Chicago Bulls for a protected 2020 second-rounder, 2022 second-round swap rights and removal of protection of a 2023 second-rounder.
- 7/8/19 — Traded the rights to Aaron White (2015-49th) to the Brooklyn Nets for Davis Bertans from the San Antonio Spurs with DeMarre Carroll going via sign and trade to the Spurs from the Nets.
- 7/8/19 — Signed Ish Smith to a two-year $12 million contract.
- 7/13/19 — Signed Admiral Schofield (2019-42nd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,300,602.
- 7/13/19 — Signed Justin Robinson to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,198,912 minimum contract.
- 7/9/19 — Signed Isaiah Thomas to a one-year $2,320,044 minimum contract.
- 7/19/19 — Named Tommy Sheppard general manager.
- 7/26/19 — Signed Phil Booth to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/15/19 — Waived Tarik Phillip.
- 9/1/19 — Jordan McRae’s salary guaranteed at $400,000 for 2019-20.
- 9/17/19 — Signed Justin Anderson to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 9/24/19 — Signed Kellen Dunham to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/24/19 — Waived Kellen Dunham.
- 9/25/19 — Picked up Troy Brown Jr. and Mo Wagner’s third-year options.
- 9/25/19 — Signed Michael Cobbins to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/26/19 — Waived Michael Cobbins.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Chris Chiozza to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/19 — Jodie Meeks trade exception ($694,405) expired.
- 10/16/19 — Waived Justin Anderson, Jemerrio Jones and Phil Booth.
- 10/16/19 — Signed Anzejs Pasecniks to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/16/19 — Signed Jalen Jones to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Bradley Beal to two-year $71,764,428 extension, player option on final season.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Dikembe Dixson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Dikembe Dixson.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Jalen Jones and Anzejs Pasecniks.
- 10/20/19 — Converted Chris Chiozza to a two-way contract.
- 10/23/19 — Jordan McRae’s salary guaranteed at $600,000.
- 12/7/19 — Jason Smith trade exception ($3,386,480) expired.
- 12/17/19 — Kelly Oubre trade exception ($714,284) expired.
- 12/17/19 — Waived Chris Chiozza (two-way).
- 12/17/19 — Signed Anzejs Pasecniks to a two-way contract.
- 12/20/19 — Jordan McRae’s salary $1,645,357 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 12/23/19 — Signed Gary Payton II to a non-guaranteed $1,090,781 minimum contract.
- 12/26/19 — Signed Johnathan Williams to a non-guaranteed $914,791 minimum contract.
- 1/5/20 — Waived Johnathan Williams.
- 1/10/20 — Gary Payton II’s $1,052,909 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/12/20 — Waived CJ Miles.
- 1/12/20 — Signed Anzejs Pasecniks to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,782,746 contract, ending his two-way.
- 1/12/20 — Signed Johnathan Williams to a two-way contract.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Isaiah Thomas to the Los Angeles Clippers and the rights to Issuf Sanon (2018-44th) to the New York Knicks for Jerome Robinson from the Clippers.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Jordan McRae to the Denver Nuggets for Shabazz Napier.
- 2/7/20 — Markieff Morris trade exception ($1,600,000) expired.
- John Wall — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Chasson Randle ($1,620,564), Ramon Sessions** ($1,620,564), Ty Lawson** ($1,620,564)
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
Arena: Capital One Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/13/20)