Quick: Over the cap but can get to $8.9 million under; hard-capped.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): Up to $37.4 million
Roster Count: 10 guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Kris Dunn, Jerian Grant, Cameron Payne
SG: Justin Holiday, Sean Kilpatrick, Antonio Blakeney (two-way)
SF: Denzel Valentine, Paul Zipser
PF: Lauri Markkanen, Bobby Portis
C: Robin Lopez, Cristiano Felicio, Omer Asik
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2018-19 Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Noah Vonleh (RFA, $10,515,699, full Bird)
- Zach LaVine (RFA, $9,606,654, full Bird)
- David Nwaba (RFA $1,699,698 or UFA $1,499,598, early Bird)
- Ryan Arcidiacono (two-way, RFA, non-Bird)
- Sean Kilpatrick $2,054,856
- Paul Zipser $1,544,951
Draft Picks: 7th (cap hold $3,895,186), 22nd from New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic, cap hold $1,746,700); 36th to New York (Taj Gibson, Carmelo Anthony)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
- Trade Exception (Jimmy Butler, expiring 6/22/18) — $861,893
- Trade Exception (Nikola Mirotic, expiring 2/1/19) — $8,994,767
- Trade Exception (Jameer Nelson, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,429,818
- Trade Exception (Luke Babbitt, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,471,382
- Projected 2018-19 Room Exception: $4,411,290
Note: Exceptions to be renounced if the team goes under the cap, which, in turn, adds the Room Exception.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Charlie Henry head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Antonio Blakeney
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg (five-year, $25 million deal, starting with 2015/16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylen (associate head coach), Randy Brown, Mike Wilhelm, Peter Myers, Nate Loenser
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of sports performance), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Armando Rivas (assistant athletic trainer), Matt Johnson (strength coach), Ed Streit (assistant strength coach)
- Gar Forman — general manager
- Doug Collins — senior advisor of basketball operations
- Randy Brown — assistant general manager
- Brian Hagen — assistant general manager
- John Paxson — director of basketball operations
- Jay Hillock — director of pro personnel
- Shawn Respert — director of player development
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Lakers (Jose Calderon).
- 2021 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), may go to Memphis Grizzlies (James Ennis).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $2.5 million from New Orleans Pelicans (Quincy Pondexter); $2.6 million from Portland Trail Blazers — $0 remaining
- 6/21/18 — NBA Draft.
- 6/22/18 — Jimmy Butler trade exception expires.
- 6/26/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on Sean Kilpatrick.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadline on Noah Vonleh and David Nwaba.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 7/18/18 — Paul Zipser’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Before first day of 2018 season — Extension deadline for Cameron Payne, Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 10/31/18 — Team options on Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen.
- 1/10/19 — Sean Kilpatrick’s $2,054,856 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 2/1/19 — Nikola Mirotic trade exception expires.
- 2/8/19 — Jameer Nelson trade exception expires.
- 6/29/19 –Team options for Paul Zipser and Sean Kilpatrick.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Bobby Portis, Diamond Stone, Cameron Payne and Jerian Grant.
- 7/18/19 — Paul Zipser’s $1,676,735 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Lauri Markkanen.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline on Kris Dunn.
- 1/10/20 — Sean Kilpatrick’s $2,054,856 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kris Dunn.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen
- 6/30/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Lauri Markkanen.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: United Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/18/18)