Chicago Bulls Team Salary
Quick: Spent over the cap
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($103 million cap): Up to $54.1 million
- Room Exception: $2,898,000
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
Qualifying Offers: None
PG: Michael Carter-Williams, Jerian Grant, Rajon Rondo
SG: Dwyane Wade, Isaiah Canaan, Denzel Valentine
SF: Jimmy Butler, Doug McDermott, Paul Zipser
PF: Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic, Bobby Portis
C: Robin Lopez, Cristiano Felicio
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 2/18/17 — Kirk Hinrich $2.9 mil TPE expires.
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Taj Gibson’s contract.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Nikola Mirotic, Michael Carter-Williams and Cristiano Felicio.
- 6/30/17 — Rajon Rondo’s $13,397,000 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 6/30/17 — Isaiah Canaan’s $1,577,230 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 10/31/17 — Team option for Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 10/31/17 — Extension deadline for Doug McDermott.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for Doug McDermott.
- 7/18/18 — Paul Zipser’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 6/24/19 — Estimated team option for Paul Zipser.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 7/18/19 — Paul Zipser’s $1,676,735 guarantees for 2019-20.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/17/16 — Traded Cameron Bairstow to Detroit Pistons for Spencer Dinwiddie.
- 6/22/16 — Traded Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second-rounder to New York Knicks for Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Denzel Valentine (14th) and Paul Zipser (48th).
- 6/27/16 — Pau Gasol opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 7/7/16 — Renounced the rights to Pau Gasol, Joakim Noah, Aaron Brooks and E’Twaun Moore.
- 7/7/16 — Traded Jose Calderon, a 2018 Denver Nuggets second rounder, a 2019 second-rounder to Los Angeles Lakers for the rights to Ater Majok (2011-58th).
- 7/7/16 — Traded Mike Dunleavy, the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th) to Cleveland Cavaliers for the rights to Albert Miralles (2004-39th).
- 7/7/16 — Signed Rajon Rondo to a partially-guaranteed two-year, $28.1 million contract.
- 7/15/16 — Signed Paul Zipser (2016-48th) to a four-year, partially-guaranteed $3.8 million contract.
- 7/15/16 — Signed Dwyane Wade to a two-year, $47.0 million contract, player option on second season.
- 7/16/16 — Signed Denzel Valentine (2016-14th) to a $9.9 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/20/16 — Signed Isaiah Canaan to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $2.1 million contract.
- 7/28/16 — Signed Spencer Dinwiddie to a two-year, non-guaranteed $2,031,676 contract.
- 9/14/16 — Signed D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera to a one-year, non-guaranteed $543,471 summer contract.
- 9/16/16 — Signed Vince Hunter to a one-year, non-guaranteed $543,471 summer contract.
- 9/19/16 — Signed J.J. Avila to a one-year, non-guaranteed $543,471 summer contract.
- 9/26/16 — Signed Thomas Walkup to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $1,448,720 contract.
- 10/17/16 — Traded Tony Snell to Milwaukee Bucks for Michael Carter-Williams
- 10/27/16 — Signed R.J. Hunter to a two-year, non-guaranteed $1,879,092 contract.
- 10/28/16 — Picked up team options for Doug McDermott, Jerian Grant and Bobby Portis.
- 10/31/16 — No extension for Michael Carter-Williams.
- 1/10/17 — Cristiano Felicio’s $874,636 guaranteed for 2016-17.
Waived Players: Spencer Dinwiddie (twice), Vince Hunter, J.J. Avila, D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Thomas Walkup, R.J. Hunter
Traded Players: Cameron Bairstow, Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday, Jose Calderon, Mike Dunleavy, Tony Snell
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg (five-year, $25 million deal, starting with 2015/16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylen (associate head coach), Randy Brown, Charlie Henry, Mike Wilhelm, Peter Myers
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of sports performance), Armando Rivas (assistant athletic trainer), Matt Johnson (strength coach), Ed Streit (assistant strength coach)
- Gar Forman — general manager
- Randy Brown — assistant general manager
- Brian Hagen — assistant general manager
- John Paxson — director of basketball operations
- Jay Hillock — director of pro personnel
- 2017 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to second-rounder if in the top-55) from Sacramento Kings (Luol Deng, J.J. Hickson).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Derrick Rose).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Lakers (Jose Calderon).
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ater Majok (2011-58th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
Nikola Mirotic — 15 percent
Jimmy Butler — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Carlos Boozer.
D-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Nate Loenser head coach)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/15/17)