Quick: Over the cap but can get to $22.0 million under.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($102 million cap): Up to $49.7 million
- Trade Exception (Taj Gibson, expiring 2/23/18) — $1,589,480
- Trade Exception (Jimmy Butler, expiring 2/22/18) — $11,457,398
- Mid-Level Exception: $3,790,615 (Justin Holiday)
- Bi-Annual Exception: $3,290,000
Note: Trade exceptions would be renounced if team goes under the cap.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: Nikola Mirotic (RFA, $10,986,655)
- David Nwaba $1,312,611
- Diamond Stone $1,312,611 (guarantees TBD)
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Kris Dunn, Jerian Grant, Cameron Payne (injured)
SG: Dwyane Wade, Zach LaVine, Paul Zipser, David Nwaba
SF: Justin Holiday, Denzel Valentine, Quincy Pondexter
PF: Bobby Portis, Cristiano Felicio
C: Robin Lopez, Lauri Markkanen, Diamond Stone
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Charlie Henry head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Antonio Blakeney (two-year), Ryan Arcidiacono (one-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg (five-year, $25 million deal, starting with 2015/16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylen (associate head coach), Randy Brown, Mike Wilhelm, Peter Myers, Nate Loenser
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of sports performance), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Armando Rivas (assistant athletic trainer), Matt Johnson (strength coach), Ed Streit (assistant strength coach)
- Gar Forman — general manager
- Randy Brown — assistant general manager
- Brian Hagen — assistant general manager
- John Paxson — director of basketball operations
- Jay Hillock — director of pro personnel
- Shawn Respert — director of player development
- 2018 — Owed second-rounder from New Orleans Pelicans (Quincy Pondexter).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Oklahoma City Thunder (Taj Gibson).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Lakers (Jose Calderon).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $2.5 million from New Orleans Pelicans (Quincy Pondexter)
- 10/31/17 — Team option for Bobby Portis, Cameron Payne and Jerian Grant.
- 11/1/17 — No-package restriction lifts on Quincy Pondexter.
- 12/1/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on David Nwaba.
- 12/15/17 — No-trade restrictions lift on Diamond Stone and Justin Holiday.
- 1/10/18 — David Nwaba’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/15/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on Cristiano Felicio.
- 2/23/18 — Taj Gibson trade exception expires.
- 6/22/18 — Jimmy Butler trade exception expires.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadline on David Nwaba.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 7/18/18 — Paul Zipser’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Cameron Payne, Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 10/31/18 — Team options on Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen.
- 6/24/19 — Estimated team option for Paul Zipser.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Bobby Portis, Diamond Stone, Cameron Payne and Jerian Grant.
- 7/18/19 — Paul Zipser’s $1,676,735 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Lauri Markkanen.
- 10/31/19 — Extension deadline on Kris Dunn.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kris Dunn.
- 10/31/20 — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen
- 6/30/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Lauri Markkanen.
- TBD — Diamond Stone’s guarantee detail
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/22/17 — Traded Jimmy Butler and the rights to Justin Patton (2017-16th) to Minnesota Timberwolves for Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and the rights to Lauri Markkanen (2017-7th).
- 6/22/17 — Traded the rights to Jordan Bell (2017-38th) to Golden State Warriors for $3.5 million.
- 6/28/17 — Issued qualifying offers to Nikola Mirotic, Joffrey Lauvergne and Cristiano Felicio.
- 7/5/17 — Signed Lauri Markkanen (2017-7th) to a $20.4 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/17 — Signed Cristiano Felicio to a four-year, $32 million contract.
- 7/8/17 — Rescinded qualifying offer to Joffrey Lauvergne.
- 7/10/17 — Signed Justin Holiday to a two-year, $9,000,001 million contract.
- 7/14/17 — Claimed David Nwaba off waivers (Los Angeles Lakers).
- 7/14/17 — Signed Antonio Blakeney to a two-way contract.
- 9/1/17 — Traded the rights to Ater Majok (2011-58th) to New Orleans Pelicans for Quincy Pondexter, a 2018 second-rounder and $2.5 million.
- 9/13/17 — Signed Diamond Stone to a two-year, $2,857,562 contract (guarantees TBD).
Waived Players: Rajon Rondo, Isaiah Canaan
Traded Players: Jimmy Butler
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Arena: United Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/17/17)