Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tomas Satoransky sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to $33.8 million in cap space, none if Otto Porter opts in.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, one non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Tomas Satoransky, Kris Dunn, Coby White, Ryan Arcidiacono, Shaquille Harrison
SG: Zach LaVine, Antonio Blakeney, Denzel Valentine, Adam Mokoka (two-way)
SF: Otto Porter, Chandler Hutchison
PF: Thaddeus Young
C: Lauri Markkanen, Wendell Carter Jr., Cristiano Felicio, Daniel Gafford, Luke Kornet
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $2,517,000 (Luke Kornet)
- Shaquille Harrison $1,620,564 ($175,000 guaranteed)
Waived Players: Shaquille Harrison, Walter Lemon Jr.
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Charlie Henry head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Adam Mokoka
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Jim Boylen
Assistants: Chris Fleming, Roy Rogers, Nate Loenser, Karen Stack, Shawn Respert, Dean Cooper
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of sports performance), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Armando Rivas (assistant athletic trainer), Matt Johnson (strength coach), Ed Streit (assistant strength coach)
- Gar Forman — general manager
- Doug Collins — senior advisor of basketball operations
- Brian Hagen — associate general manager
- Steve Weinman — assistant general manager
- John Paxson — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Jim Paxson — director of pro personnel
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday), may go to the Houston Rockets (56-60 range, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot)
- 2020 — Owe the higher second-rounder between the Memphis Grizzlies and Bulls (56-60) to the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2021 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with the New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), may go to the Memphis Grizzlies (James Ennis). May swap with the Los Angeles Lakers via the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Otto Porter).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Lauri Markkanen, Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline on Kris Dunn.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Thaddeus Young, Shaquille Harrison, Luke Kornet and Tomas Satoransky.
- 1/10/20 — Shaquille Harrison’s $1,620,564 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Ryan Arcidiacono.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kris Dunn, Shaquille Harrison and Antonio Blakeney.
- 6/30/20 — Otto Porter’s player option.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Wendell Carter Jr., Coby White and Chandler Hutchison.
- 6/29/21 — Team option on Ryan Arcidiacono.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Lauri Markkanen.
- 6/30/21 — Thaddeus Young’s $15,190,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/30/21 — Tomas Satoransky’s $10 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Coby White
- 1/10/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline on Coby White.
- 1/10/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Coby White.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 5/3/19 — Extended the contract of Coach Jim Boylan.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 7th and 38th (from the Memphis Grizzlies) picks in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Coby White (7th) and Daniel Gafford (38th).
- 6/25/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Ryan Arcidiacono. Declined to extend qualifying offer to Wayne Selden.
- 6/26/19 — Omer Asik’s remaining $3 million salary removed from the team’s cap (medical retirement).
- 7/1/19 — Signed Coby White (2019-7th) to a $24,131,515 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/2/19 — Signed Adam Mokoka to a two-way contract.
- 7/6/19 — Waived Shaquille Harrison and Walter Lemon Jr.
- 7/6/19 — Renounced Robin Lopez, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Wayne Selden, Rawle Atkins and Brandon Sampson.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Thaddeus Young to a partially-guaranteed three-year $43,635,000 contract (incentives TBD).
- 7/6/19 — Signed Daniel Gafford (2019-38th) to a partially-guaranteed $6,129,593 contract.
- 7/7/19 — Traded a protected 2020 second-rounder, 2022 second-round swap rights and removal of protection of a 2023 second-rounder to the Washington Wizards for Tomas Satoransky via sign and trade on a partially-guaranteed three-year $30 million contract.
- 7/11/19 — Re-signed Ryan Arcidiacono to a three-year $9 million contract, team option on final season.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Luke Kornet to a two-year $4.5 million contract.
- 7/18/19 — Re-signed Shaquille Harrison to a non/partially-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Shaquille Harrison (implicit)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: United Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)