Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tomas Satoransky sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 12 guaranteed
PG: Tomas Satoransky, Coby White, Ryan Arcidiacono
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Otto Porter, Chandler Hutchison
PF: Lauri Markkanen, Thaddeus Young
C: Wendell Carter Jr., Luke Kornet, Cristiano Felicio, Daniel Gafford
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft: 4th ($7,068,360,307,120 cap hold), 44th from Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday); 57th to Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Kris Dunn ($16,044,021), Denzel Valentine (RFA, $10,132,707)
- Early Bird: Shaquille Harrison ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Adam Mokoka (two-way RFA, $1,445,697), Max Strus (two-way, $1,445,697)
- Denzel Valentine — $4,698,198
- Adam Mokoka — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Lauri Markkanen
- Coby White
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Chandler Hutchison
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Josh Kreibich general manager, Damian Cotter head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Billy Donovan
Assistants: Maurice Cheeks, Josh Longstaff, John Bryant, Damian Cotter, Billy Schmidt, Henry Domercant, Ronnie Burrell, Ty Abbott, Max Rothschild
Training Staff: Chip Schaefer (director of performance health), Todd Campbell (head athletic trainer), Wendy Borlabi (performance coach), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Matthew Johnson (head strength coach), Geoffrey Puls (assistant strength coach)
- Arturas Karnisovas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Marc Eversley — general manager
- Pat Connelly — vice president of player personnel
- Brian Hagen — associate general manager
- JJ Polk — assistant general manager
- Steve Weinman — assistant general manager
- Jim Paxson — director of pro personnel
- Doug Collins — senior advisor of basketball operations
- John Paxon — senior advisor of basketball operations
- 2021 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), may go to the Memphis Grizzlies (James Ennis). May swap with the Los Angeles Lakers via the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Otto Porter).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/27/20 — Deadline to withdraw qualifying offers to Denzel Valentine and Adam Mokoka.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team options on Wendell Carter Jr., Coby White and Chandler Hutchison .
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Ryan Arcidiacono.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Lauri Markkanen.
- 8/1/21 — Thaddeus Young’s $15,190,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Tomas Satoransky’s $10 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Coby White
- 1/10/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Coby White.
- 1/10/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Coby White.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 8/14/20 — Fired coach Jim Boylen.
- 9/22/20 — Hired coach Billy Donovan.
- 11/16/20 — Otto Porter’s opted into his contract.
- 11/16/20 — Issued a $4,698,198 qualifying offer to Denzel Valentine.
- 11/16/20 — Issued one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed) qualifying offer to Adam Mokoka.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Kris Dunn, Max Strus and Shaquille Harrison.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: United Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/17/20)