Chicago Bulls Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap, above the luxury-tax threshold.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $0-$25.7 million
- Trade Exception (Kirk Hinrich, expiring 2/18/17) — $2,854,940
- Trade Exception (Justin Holiday, expiring 6/22/17) — $947,276
- Mid-Level Exception: $5,628,000
- Bi-Annual Exception: $2,203,000
- Room Exception*: $2,898,000
*If team goes under the cap, they will lose all of their exceptions, but gain the room exception. If the team stays over the cap, they lose the room exception.
2016/17 Roster Count: 10 guaranteed, two non-guaranteed, one player option
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Denzel Valentine (2016-14th, cap hold $1,743,500)
- Second-rounders: Paul Zipser (2016-48th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th)
- Bird: Joakim Noah
- Early Bird: Aaron Brooks, E’Twaun Moore
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Spencer Dinwiddie ($980,431), Cristiano Felicio ($874,636)
Options: Pau Gasol ($7,769,520 — player)
Qualifying Offers: None
PG: Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant, Spencer Dinwiddie
SG: Jimmy Butler, Tony Snell
SF: Mike Dunleavy, Doug McDermott
PF: Taj Gibson, Bobby Portis, Nikola Mirotic
C: Pau Gasol, Robin Lopez, Cristiano Felicio
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Doug McDermott ($3,294,994), Bobby Portis ($1,516,320), Jerian Grant ($1,713,840)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Tony Snell
- 6/27/16 — Player option for Pau Gasol.
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins.
- 7/11/16 — Jose Calderon’s contract eligible for restructuring.
- 8/17/16 — Spencer Dinwiddie can be traded in a package.
- 8/22/16 — Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant can be traded in a package.
- 10/31/16 — Team options for Doug McDermott, Jerian Grant and Bobby Portis.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadline for Tony Snell.
- 11/1/16 — Spencer Dinwiddie’s salary guarantees for $250k for 16/17.
- 1/10/17 — Spencer Dinwiddie’s $980k guarantees for 16/17.
- 1/10/17 — Cristiano Felicio’s $875k guaranteed for 116/17.
- 2/18/17 — Kirk Hinrich $2.9 mil TPE expires.
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Jose Calderon and Taj Gibson’s contracts.
- 6/22/17 — Justin Holiday trade exception expires.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Nikola Mirotic, Tony Snell, Spencer Dinwiddie and Cristiano Felicio.
- 7/1/17 — Mike Dunleavy’s $5.2 million guarantees for 17/18.
- 10/31/17 — Team option for Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 10/31/17 — Extension deadline for Doug McDermott.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for Doug McDermott.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/17/16 — Traded Cameron Bairstow to Detroit Pistons for Spencer Dinwiddie.
- 6/22/16 — Traded Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second-rounder to New York Knicks for Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Denzel Washington (14th) and Paul Zipser (48th).
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Cameron Bairstow, Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg (five-year, $25 million deal, starting with 2015/16 season)
Assistants: Randy Brown, Charlie Henry, Mike Wilhelm, Peter Myers
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka
- Gar Forman — General Manager
- Randy Brown — Assistant General Manager
- Brian Hagen — Assistant General Manager
- John Paxson — Director of Basketball Operations
- Jay Hillock — Director of Pro Personnel
- 2017 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to second-rounder if in the top-55) from Sacramento Kings (Luol Deng, J.J. Hickson).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Derrick Rose).
- 2018 — Owed second-rounder from Denver Nuggets (Randy Foye, Kirk Hinrich).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $0
Paul Gasol — 15%
Nikola Mirotic — 15%
Jimmy Butler — 5%
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Carlos Boozer.
D-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 6/24/16)