Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $52.2 million in cap space.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Coby White, Tomas Satoransky, Ryan Arcidiacono, Devon Dotson (two-way)
SG: Zach LaVine, Denzel Valentine, Adam Mokoka (two-way), Chandler Hutchison (injured)
SF: Garrett Temple, Otto Porter (injured)
PF: Patrick Williams, Thaddeus Young, Lauri Markkanen (injured)
C: Wendell Carter Jr, Daniel Gafford, Luke Kornet, Cristiano Felicio
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $4,491,000 (Garrett Temple)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Noah Vonleh, Simi Shittu, Zach Norvell Jr
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Josh Kreibich general manager, Damian Cotter head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Adam Mokoka, Devon Dotson
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Michael Reinsdorf
- Arturas Karnisovas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Marc Eversley — general manager
- Pat Connelly — vice president of player personnel
- JJ Polk — assistant general manager
- Steve Weinman — assistant general manager
- Brian Hagen — associate general manager
- Jim Paxson — director of pro personnel
- Doug Collins — senior advisor of basketball operations
- John Paxon — senior advisor of basketball operations
Head Coach: Billy Donovan
Assistants: Maurice Cheeks, Chris Fleming, Josh Longstaff, John Bryant, Damian Cotter, Billy Schmidt
Training Staff: Chip Schaefer (director of performance health), Todd Campbell (head athletic trainer), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Matthew Johnson (head strength coach), Geoffrey Puls (assistant strength coach)
- 2021 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), may go to the Sacramento Kings (James Ennis, Xavier Tillman Jr). May swap with the Los Angeles Lakers second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Otto Porter).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 3/3/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Denzel Valentine.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Ryan Arcidiacono.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline Lauri Markkanen.
- 8/1/21 — Thaddeus Young’s $15,190,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Tomas Satoransky’s $10 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Coby White and Patrick Williams.
- 1/1722 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Coby White.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Patrick Williams.
- 1/7/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Coby White.
- Before the first day of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Patrick Williams.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Patrick Williams.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but not later than 2/24/21.
- 8/14/20 — Fired coach Jim Boylen.
- 9/22/20 — Hired coach Billy Donovan.
- 11/16/20 — Otto Porter’s opted into his contract.
- 11/16/20 — Issued a $4,698,198 qualifying offer to Denzel Valentine.
- 11/16/20 — Issued one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed) qualifying offer to Adam Mokoka.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Patrick Williams (2020-4th) and Marko Simonovic (2020-44th).
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Kris Dunn, Max Strus and Shaquille Harrison.
- 11/21/20 — Signed Patrick Williams (2020-4th) to a $32,101,641 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/21/20 — Denzel Valentine signed his $4,642,800 qualifying offer.
- 11/21/20 — Signed Devon Dotson to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Adam Mokoka to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Zach Norvell Jr. to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Garrett Temple to a $4,767,000 contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Noah Vonleh to a non-guaranteed $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 12/6/20 — Signed Simi Shittu to a non-guaranteed 898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 12/14/20 — Waived Noah Vonleh.
- 12/19/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on Coby White.
- 12/19/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale options on Wendell Carter Jr and Chandler Hutchison.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Simi Shittu and Zach Norvell Jr.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen elapsed.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Denzel Valentine (One-Year Bird)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Marko Simonovic (2020-44th), Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Arena: United Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/14/21)