Chicago Bulls Team Salary
Quick: Currently over the cap but can get under by $1.6 million by renouncing trade exception.
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($101 million cap): Up to $52.8 million
- Trade Exception (Taj Gibson, expiring 2/23/18) — $5,462,000
- Room Exception: $4,328,000
Note: Trade exceptions would be renounced if team goes under the cap.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: Nikola Mirotic (RFA, $10,986,655), Michael Carter-Williams (RFA, $7,958,815), Anthony Morrow ($6,627,200), Joffrey Lauvergne (RFA, $3,248,466)
- Early Bird: Cristiano Felicio (RFA, $1,671,382)
- Rajon Rondo $13,397,000 ($3,000,000 guaranteed)
- Isaiah Canaan $1,577,230 ($200,000 guaranteed)
2017 Draft Picks: 16th ($2,247,480 cap hold), 38th (from Sacramento Kings, provided Kings stay in top-10); Own 44th to New York Knicks
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ater Majok (2011-58th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, two partially-guaranteed, one player option
PG: Rajon Rondo, Jerian Grant, Cameron Payne
SG: Paul Zipser, Isaiah Canaan
SF: Jimmy Butler, Denzel Valentine
PF: Bobby Portis
C: Robin Lopez
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 6/29/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Nikola Mirotic, Michael Carter-Williams, Joffrey Lauvergne and Cristiano Felicio.
- 6/30/17 — Rajon Rondo’s $13,397,000 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 6/30/17 — Isaiah Canaan’s $1,577,230 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 10/31/17 — Team option for Bobby Portis, Cameron Payne and Jerian Grant.
- 2/23/18 — Taj Gibson trade exception expires.
- 7/18/18 — Paul Zipser’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Cameron Payne, Bobby Portis and Jerian Grant.
- 6/24/19 — Estimated team option for Paul Zipser.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Bobby Portis, Cameron Payne and Jerian Grant.
- 7/18/19 — Paul Zipser’s $1,676,735 guarantees for 2019-20.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg (five-year, $25 million deal, starting with 2015/16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylen (associate head coach), Randy Brown, Charlie Henry, Mike Wilhelm, Peter Myers
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of sports performance), Armando Rivas (assistant athletic trainer), Matt Johnson (strength coach), Ed Streit (assistant strength coach)
- Gar Forman — general manager
- Randy Brown — assistant general manager
- Brian Hagen — assistant general manager
- John Paxson — director of basketball operations
- Jay Hillock — director of pro personnel
- 2017 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to second-rounder if in the top-55) from Sacramento Kings (Luol Deng, J.J. Hickson).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Oklahoma City Thunder (Taj Gibson).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Lakers (Jose Calderon).
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
Nikola Mirotic — 15 percent
Jimmy Butler — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
D-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Nate Loenser head coach)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/20/17)