Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $38.2 million, less depending on the Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Burke contracts.
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Luka Doncic, Jalen Brunson
SG: Josh Richardson, Josh Green
SF: Tim Hardaway Jr., Dorian Finney-Smith
PF: James Johnson, Dwight Powell, Tyler Bey
C: Kristaps Porzingis, Maxi Kleber, Boban Marjanovic
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First Rounders: Petteri Koponen (2007-30th)
- Second rounders: Tyrell Terry (2020-21st), Stanko Barac (2007-39th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Courtney Lee ($19,139,505), J.J. Barea ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Willie Cauley-Stein ($2,612,980), Josh Reaves ($1,445,697), Antonius Cleveland ($1,445,697)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Justin Jackson
- Luka Doncic
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Seth Curry, Delon Wright, Justin Jackson
G-League Affiliate: Texas Legends (Spud Webb president of basketball operations, Coach Bob MacKinnon)
Two-Way Players: Tyler Bey
Head Coach: Rick Carlisle
Assistants: Darrell Armstrong, Jamahl Mosley, Larry Shyatt, Jenny Boucek, Mike Weinar
Training Staff: Casey Smith (director of player health and performance), Dionne Calhoun (head athletic trainer), Heather Mau (assistant athletic trainer)
- Mark Cuban — governor
- Donn Nelson — president of basketball operations/general manager
- Keith Grant — assistant general manager
- Michael Finley — assistant vice president of basketball operations
- Tony Ronzone — director of player personnel
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Josh McRoberts).
- 2023 — Owe the lower second-rounder (Miami HEAT or Mavericks) to the Memphis Grizzlies (Delon Wright), which may go to the Boston Celtics (Desmond Bane). Owe the higher second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (James Johnson).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (James Johnson).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $800,000 to the Dallas Mavericks (Isaiah Roby) — $4,817,000 remaining
- 12/7/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tyler Bey and Josh Green.
- 12/8/20 — No-package restriction lifts on Josh Richardson.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/12/20 — No-package restriction lifts on James Johnson.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team option on Luka Doncic.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/1/21 — Jalen Brunson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Luka Doncic.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Josh Green.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Luka Doncic.
- 7/3/22 — Maxi Kleber’s $9,475,000 (incentives TBD) for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Josh Green.
- 6/29/23 — Player option on Kristaps Porzingis.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Josh Green.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Josh Green.
- TBD — Tyler Bey’s two-way contract details.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 11/18/20 — Renounced the rights to Dirk Nowitzki, Salah Mejri and Devin Harris.
- 11/18/20 — Draft Josh Green (2020-18th) and Tyrell Terry (2020-21st).
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Antonius Cleveland and Josh Reaves.
- 11/19/20 — Tim Hardaway Jr. opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Willie Cauley-Stein opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Seth Curry to the Philadelphia 76ers for Josh Richardson and the rights to Tyler Bey (2020-36th).
- 11/27/20 — Traded Justin Jackson, a 2023-second rounder (the higher of the Miami HEAT and Mavericks) and a 2026 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Delon Wright to the Detroit Pistons for James Johnson from the Thunder.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Tyler Bey (2020-36th) to a two-way contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Josh Green (2020-18th) to a $13,638,019 rookie-scale contract.
- TBD — Reportedly agreed to re-sign Willie Cauley-Stein to a two-year $8 million contract, team option on the final season.
- TBD — Reportedly agreed to re-sign JJ Barea to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- TBD — Reportedly agreed to re-sign Trey Burke to a three-year $10 million contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
- Kristaps Porzingis — five percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: American Airlines Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 12/1/20)