Quick: Under the cap by $14.2 million.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): Up to $48.9 million
- Room Exception: $4,328,000
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-way
PG: Dennis Smith Jr., J.J Barea, Kyle Collinsworth
SG: Yogi Ferrell, Seth Curry (injured)
SF: Wesley Matthews, Doug McDermott, Dorian Finney-Smith (injured)
PF: Harrison Barnes, Dwight Powell, Maxi Kleber, Jalen Jones (two-way), Johnathan Motley (two-way)
C: Dirk Nowitzki, Salah Mejri, Nerlens Noel (injured)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Texas Legends (Coach Bob MacKinnon)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Two-Way Players: Johnathan Motley (two-year), Jalen Jones (two-year)
Head Coach: Rick Carlisle (through the 2020-21 season)
Assistants: Kaleb Canales, Darrell Armstrong, Jamahl Mosley, Larry Shyatt
Trainer: Casey Smith, Dionne Calhoun (assistant)
- Mark Cuban — owner
- Donn Nelson — president of basketball operations/general manager
- Keith Grant — assistant general manager
- Kristy Laue — manager of team operations
- Michael Finley — assistant vice president of basketball operations
- 2018 — Owed second-rounder from Portland Trail Blazers (Mason Plumlee). Higher pick of Sacramento Kings and Blazers pick to Kings, lower to Dallas (Tyreke Evans, Robin Lopez, Emmanuel Mudiay).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Milwaukee Bucks (Zaza Pachulia).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut), Mavericks can delay this pick to 2020.
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Nerlens Noel).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Josh McRoberts).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $5.1 from Miami HEAT (Josh McRoberts)
- 5/8/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on Kyle Collinsworth.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Doug McDermott, Salah Mejri and Yogi Ferrell.
- 24 hours prior to NBA draft, no later than 6/29/18 — Wesley Matthews’ player option.
- 6/30/18 — Dirk Nowitzki’s team option.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 7/5/18 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s $1,544,951 million guarantees for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Maxi Kleber’s $1,378,242 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Dennis Smith Jr.
- 6/29/19 — Estimated deadlines for Dwight Powell and Harrison Barnes’ player options.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Dorian Finney-Smith and Max Kleber.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Dennis Smith Jr.
- Before first day of 2020-21 season — Extension deadline on Dennis Smith Jr.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Dennis Smith Jr.
- TBD — Kyle Collinsworth’s guarantees.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/23/17 — Issued qualifying offer to Nerlens Noel.
- 6/24/17 — Picked up team option on Yogi Ferrell.
- 6/28/17 — Picked up team option on DeAndre Liggins.
- 6/28/17 — Traded DeAndre Liggins to Houston Rockets for $175,000.
- 6/29/17 — Traded Jarrod Uthoff to Houston Rockets for cash (TBD).
- 6/29/17 — Declined team option on Dirk Nowitzki.
- 7/3/17 — Signed Johnathan Motley to a two-year two-way contract.
- 7/5/17 — Signed Dennis Smith Jr. (2017-9th) to a rookie-scale $17,188,557 contract.
- 7/6/17 — Signed Dirk Nowitzki to a two-year, $10 million contract, team option on second season.
- 7/6/17 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guaranteed at $100,000 for 2017-18.
- 7/7/17 — Traded A.J. Hammons to Miami HEAT for Josh McRoberts, a 2023 second-rounder and $5.1 million.
- 7/12/17 — Salah Mejri’s $1,471,382 guaranteed for 2017-18.
- 7/12/17 — Signed Maxi Kleber to a partially-guaranteed two-year, $2,193,857 contract.
- 7/31/17 — Signed Brandon Ashley to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (exhibits nine and 10).
- 7/31/17 — Signed Gian Clavell to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (exhibits nine and 10).
- 7/31/17 — Signed P.J. Dozier to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (exhibits nine and 10).
- 8/7/17 — Signed Maalik Wayns to a non-guaranteed one-year, $1,471,382 summer contract (exhibits nine and 10).
- 8/21/17 — Signed Jeff Withey to a partially-guaranteed two-year, $3,372,245 contract.
- 8/28/17 — Signed Nerlens Noel to a one-year, $4,187,599 contract.
- 10/13/17 — Signed Jameel Warney to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 10/16/17 — Converted Gian Clavell to a two-way contract.
- 10/17/17 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guaranteed for $150,000.
- 11/17/17 — Signed Antonius Cleveland to a two-way contract.
- 12/5/17 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guaranteed for $200,000.
- 12/19/17 — Signed Kyle Collinsworth to a two-year, two-way contract.
- 1/10/18 — Devin Harris’ $4,402,546 guaranteed for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s $1,312,611 guaranteed for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Claimed Jalen Jones off waivers (New Orleans Pelicans)
- 1/13/18 — Signed Kyle Collinsworth to a 10-day, $46,080 contract.
- 1/24/18 — Signed Kyle Collinsworth to a 10-day, $46,080 contract.
- 2/8/18 — Traded Devin Harris to Denver Nuggets for a 2018 second-rounder and Doug McDermott from New York Knicks.
- 2/8/18 — Signed Kyle Collinsworth to a partially-guaranteed three-year, $3,287,066 contract.
Waived Players: Nicolas Brussino (claimed by Atlanta Hawks), P.J. Dozier, Jameel Warney, Maalik Wayns, Brandon Ashley, Gian Clavell (two-way with $50,00 guaranteed), Jeff Withey, Antonius Cleveland (two-way), Kyle Collinsworth, Josh McRoberts
Traded Players: DeAndre Liggins, Jarrod Uthoff, Devin Harris
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Kyle Collinsworth (two)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Petteri Koponen (2007-30th, cap hold $1,394,520)
- Second rounders: Satnam Singh (2015-52nd), Stanko Barac (2007-39th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th)
Arena: American Airlines Center
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
No-Trade: Dirk Nowitzki
- Harrison Barnes — 8 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/22/18)