Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Serge Ibaka contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $14.7 million, none with Kawhi Leonard.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Patrick Beverley, Reggie Jackson, Terance Mann
SG: Paul George, Luke Kennard, Lou Williams, Jayden Scrubb (two-way)
SF: Kawhi Leonard, Amir Coffey (two-way)
PF: Nicolas Batum, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Oturu, Marcus Morris (injured)
C: Serge Ibaka, Ivica Zubac, Mfiondu Kabengele
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jerome Robinson, expiring 3/22/21) — $3,567,720
- Trade Exception (Derrick Walton Jr., expiring 3/22/21) — $1,445,697
- Trade Exception (Landry Shamet, expiring 7/28/21) — $1,995,120
- Trade Exception (Rodney McGruder, expiring 7/28/21) — $497,418
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Serge Ibaka)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Joakim Noah, Justin Patton, Malik Fitts, Ky Bowman, Jordan Ford, Rayjon Tucker
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario (Dee Brown general manager, Brian Adams head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Amir Coffey, Jayden Scrubb (two years)
Governor: Steve Ballmer
- Lawrence Frank — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Michael Winger — general manager
- Mark Hughes — assistant general manager
- Trent Redden — assistant general manager
- Jerry West — consultant
- Jason Piombetti — director of college player personnel
- Jud Winton — vice president, research and analytics
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue
Assistants: Dan Craig (associate head coach), Kenny Atkinson, Chauncey Billups, Jeremy Castleberry, Larry Drew, Brendan O’Conner, Roy Rogers, Shaun Fein, Chad Bell, Natalie Nakase, Dahntay Jones, Beau Levesque, Cam Hodges
Trainers: Jasen Powell
- 2021 — The New York Knicks have swap rights, provided the Clippers’ pick is lower than 4th (Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets (Miles Bridges).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Derrick Walton Jr.).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Luke Kennard).
- 2023 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders (Paul George).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Paul George).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Serge Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 3/22/21 — Jerome Robinson and Derrick Walton Jr. trade exceptions expire.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 4/9/21 — No-trade restriction on Paul George.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on Kawhi Leonard.
- 7/28/21 — Landry Shamet and Rodney McGruder trade exceptions expire.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Luke Kennard.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Poison pill on Luke Kennard expires.
- 9/2/21 — Terance Mann’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Daniel Oturu.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Terance Mann and Ivica Zubac.
- 8/1/22 — Terance Mann’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/24 — Player option on Paul George.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on Luke Kennard.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but not later than 2/24/21.
- 9/28/20 — Agreed to part ways with coach Doc Rivers.
- 10/20/20 — Hired coach Tyronn Lue.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Reggie Perry (2020-57th).
- 11/19/20 — JaMychal Green declined his player option.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Johnathan Motley.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Rodney McGruder and $1 million to the Detroit Pistons, and Landry Shamet and the rights to Reggie Perry (2020-57th) to the Brooklyn Nets for Luke Kennard, Justin Patton, a Portland Trail Blazers 2023 second-rounder and three Pistons’ second-rounders (2024, 2025 and 2026), and the rights to Jayden Scrubb (2020-55th) from the Nets.
- 11/19/20 — Traded the rights to Mathias Lessort (2017-50th) and a Detroit Pistons 2023 second-rounder to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the rights to Daniel Oturu (2020-33rd).
- 11/23/20 — Signed Jayden Scrubb (2020-55th) to a two-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed each season).
- 11/25/20 — Re-signed Marcus Morris to a four-year $64 million contract.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Serge Ibaka to a two-year $18,978,900 contract, player option on the final season.
- 11/25/20 — Re-signed Patrick Patterson to a $3,077,704 contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Daniel Oturu (2020-33rd) to a two-year $2,416,291 minimum contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Malik Fitts to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Jordan Ford to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Ky Bowman to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/1/20 — Signed Nicolas Batum to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Rayjon Tucker to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed Reggie Jackson to a $2,331,593 contract.
- 12/10/20 — Re-signed Paul George to a five-year $176,265,152 extension (four additional years, including opting out of his initial 2021-22 salary), player option on final season.
- 12/14/20 — Waived Malik Fitts, Ky Bowman and Jordan Ford.
- 12/18/20 — Waived Rayjon Tucker.
- 12/21/20 — Signed Luke Kennard to a four-year $64 million contract (incentives TBD), team option on the final season.
- 12/29/20 — Declined the third-year rookie-scale option on Mfiondu Kabengele.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Patrick Patterson (One-Year Bird), Reggie Jackson (One-Year Bird)
- Kawhi Leonard — 15 percent
- Serge Ibaka — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Luke Kennard — $12,254,765 (expiring 8/2/21)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: David Michineau (2016-39th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/5/21)