Quick: Currently over the cap, the tax threshold and hard-capped.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Hard Cap: $129,817,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $28.5 million.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Mike Conley, Jevon Carter, Shelvin Mack
SG: Dillon Brooks, Wayne Selden, MarShon Brooks, D.J. Stephens (two-way)
SF: Chandler Parsons, Garrett Temple, Omri Casspi, Yuta Watanabe (two-way)
F: Kyle Anderson, Ivan Rabb, JaMychal Green (injured)
C: Marc Gasol, Jaren Jackson Jr.
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (James Ennis, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,697,250
- Trade Exception (Deyonta Davis, expiring 7/17/19) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Jarell Martin, expiring 7/23/19) — $2,416,222
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Kyle Anderson)
Waived Players: Omari Johnson, Myke Henry (two-way), Kobi Simmons (two-way), Dakari Johnson (stretched), Ismaila Kane, Markel Crawford, Brandon Goodwin, Doral Moore, Andrew Harrison
Traded Players: Jarell Martin
- Marc Gasol — 15 percent
- Kyle Anderson — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (Chris Markis general manager, head coach TBD)
Two-Way Contracts: Yuta Watanabe, D.J. Stephens
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Head Coach: J.B. Bickerstaff
Assistants: Chad Forcier, Jerry Stackhouse, Greg Buckner, Vitaly Potapenko, Nick Van Exel, J.J. Outlaw (assistant coach/player development), Kevin Burleson (assistant coach/player development)
Trainers: David Crewe (head athletic trainer), Allen Gruver (medical director), Eric Oetter (director of performance)
- Chris Wallace — general manager, basketball operations
- John Hollinger — executive vice president, basketball operations\
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- Tayshaun Prince — special advisor to the general manager
- Zachary Kleiman — team counsel and assistant general manager
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-eight protected, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) to Boston Celtics (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Boston Celtics (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
- 2020 — Grizzlies have second-round swap rights with Detroit Pistons (James Ennis), may be Chicago Bulls second-rounder (Jameer Nelson).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Ben McLemore).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $1,544,951 to Sacramento Kings (Ben McLemore); $1,037,980 to Orlando Magic (Jarell Martin) — $2,660,069 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restrictions lift on Shelvin Mack, Omri Casspi and Kyle Anderson.
- 1/5/18 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 1/15/18 — Last day to sign a player to a two-way contract.
- 2/7/19 — Trade deadline.
- 6/27/19 — Player option on Marc Gasol.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Wayne Selden.
- 7/5/19 — Dillon Brooks’ $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/15/19 — Ivan Rabb’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/23/19 — Jarell Martin trade exception expires.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Jaren Jackson Jr.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Dillon Brooks, Jevon Carter and Ivan Rabb.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Jaren Jackson Jr.
- 1/10/21 — Mike Conley’s $34,504,132 guarantees for 2020-21, unless he plays in 55 games in either the 2018-19 or 2019-20 seasons, which would lock in the 2020-21 salary sooner.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Jaren Jackson Jr.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jaren Jackson Jr.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 5/1/18 — Hired J.B. Bickerstaff as head coach.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Jaren Jackson Jr. (4th) and Jevon Carter (32nd).
- 7/1/18 — Signed Jaren Jackson Jr. (2018-4th) to a $29,280,440 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/18 — Wayne Selden’s $1,544,951 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/6/18 — Signed restricted free agent Kyle Anderson (San Antonio Spurs) to a four-year, $37,156,300 offer sheet. The Spurs declined to match.
- 7/11/18 — Signed Omri Casspi to a one-year $2,176,260 minimum contract.
- 7/15/18 — Signed Jevon Carter (2018-32nd) to a two-year $2,255,316 contract.
- 7/17/18 — Renounced the rights to Mario Chalmers.
- 7/17/18 — Traded Deyonta Davis, Ben McLemore, a 2021 second-rounder and $1,544,951 to Sacramento Kings for Garrett Temple.
- 7/20/18 — Signed Yuta Watanabe to a two-way contract.
- 7/23/18 — Traded Jarell Martin and $1,037,980 to Orlando Magic for Dakari Johnson and the rights to Tyler Harvey (2015-51st).
- 8/7/18 — Signed Shelvin Mack to a one-year $2,029,463 minimum contract.
- 8/10/18 — Signed Markel Crawford to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/29/18 — Signed Doral Moore to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Brandon Goodwin to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/22/18 — Troy Daniels trade exception expired.
- 9/24/18 — Signed Ismaila Kane to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/9/18 — Signed D.J. Stephens to a two-way contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Wang Zhelin (2016-57th), Tyler Harvey (2015-51st)
Arena: FedEx Forum
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/14/18)