Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tyus Jones sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): Up to $45.7 million in cap space, more if the Grizzlies’ first goes to the Boston Celtics.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Ja Morant, Tyus Jones, De’Anthony Melton (injured)
SG: Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen, Marko Guduric, Yuta Watanabe (two-way), John Konchar (two-way)
SF: Jae Crowder, Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, Solomon Hill, Andre Iguodala (not with team), Josh Jackson (not with team)
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke
C: Jonas Valanciunas
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Shelvin Mack, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (Garrett Temple, expiring 2/7/20) — $184,467
- Trade Exception (Mike Conley, expiring 7/6/20) — $7,726,457
- Trade Exception (C.J. Miles, expiring 7/6/20) — $3,126,308
- Trade Exception (Kyle Korver, expiring 7/7/20) — $3,440,000
- Trade Exception (Jevon Carter, expiring 7/7/20) — $1,416,852
- Trade Exception (Delon Wright, expiring 7/8/20) — $4,736,842
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Tyus Jones)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
- Bruno Caboclo $1,845,301 ($300,000 guaranteed)
Waived Players: Avery Bradley, Dwight Howard, Matt Mooney, Dusty Hannahs, Ahmad Caver, Jarrod Uthoff, Shaq Buchanan, Ivan Rabb, Miles Plumlee, Bennie Boatwright
Traded Players: Mike Conley, C.J. Miles, Kyle Korver, Jevon Carter, Julian Washburn, Chandler Parsons
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (head coach Jason March)
Two-Way Contracts: Yuta Watanabe, John Konchar
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
Assistants: Niele Ivey, Brad Jones, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Vitaly Potapenko, Nevan Spahija
Trainers: David Crewe (head athletic trainer), Allen Gruver (medical director), Eric Oetter (director of performance)
- Jason Wexler – president
- Zachary Kleiman — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Rich Cho — vice president of basketball strategy
- Glen Grunwald — senior advisor
- Tayshaun Prince — vice president of basketball affairs
- Chantal Hassard — vice president of team operations and player programs
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-eight protected, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) to Boston Celtics (Jeff Green).
- 2020 — Owed a first-rounder (8-14 range through 2021, top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Utah Jazz (Mike Conley).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Chicago Bulls (Justin Holiday), may go to the Washington Wizards or Houston Rockets (TBD).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder (31-35 range) from the Phoenix Suns (Josh Jackson).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr., Deividas Sirvydis, Delon Wright).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Ben McLemore).
- 2022 — Grizzlies have second-round swap rights with Detroit Pistons (James Ennis), may be Chicago Bulls second-rounder (Jameer Nelson).
- 2023 — Owed the lower second-rounder from the Miami HEAT or Dallas Mavericks (Delon Wright).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2024, top-1 protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026) from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Brandon Clarke).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $2 million from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala) — $3,617,000 remaining
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tyus Jones, Marko Guduric and Jonas Valanciunas.
- 1/10/20 — Bruno Caboclo’s $1,845,301 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 2/7/20 — Shelvin Mack and Garrett Temple trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Dillon Brooks and De’Anthony Melton.
- 7/6/20 — C.J. Miles trade exception expires.
- 7/7/20 — Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter trade exceptions expire.
- 7/8/20 — Delon Wright trade exception expires.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Josh Jackson.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke and Grayson Allen.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Marko Guduric and Josh Jackson.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brandon Clarke.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/11/19 — Fired coach J.B. Bickerstaff.
- 4/11/19 — General manager Chris Wallace demoted to scouting.
- 4/11/19 — Jason Wexler named president, Zachary Kleiman as executive vice president of basketball operations.
- 4/12/19 — C.J. Miles opted into the final year of his contract.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 2nd pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/11/19 — Hired Coach Taylor Jenkins.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Ja Morant (2nd).
- 6/25/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Delon Wright.
- 6/27/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offer to Tyler Dorsey.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Ja Morant (2019-2nd) to a $39,619,480 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/19 — Dillon Brooks’ $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Waived Avery Bradley.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz for Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen, the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a protected 2020 first-rounder.
- 7/6/19 — Traded the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a 2024 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rights to Brandon Clarke (21st).
- 7/6/19 — Traded C.J. Miles to the Washington Wizards for Dwight Howard.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter to the Phoenix Suns for Josh Jackson, De’Anthony Melton and a second-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Brandon Clarke (2019-21st) to a $12,152,560 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Julian Washburn to the Golden State Warriors for Andre Iguodala and a 2024 first-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Chandler Parsons to the Atlanta Hawks for Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee.
- 7/7/19 — Signed John Konchar to a two-way contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jonas Valanciunas to a three-year $45 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Tyus Jones to a three-year $26,451,429 contract (Minnesota Timberwolves unmatched offer sheet, incentives TBD).
- 7/8/19 — Traded Delon Wright (via sign and trade) on a three-year $30,149,000 contract (incentives TBD) to the Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Satnam Singh (2015-52nd), a 2021 Portland Trail Blazers second-rounder, a 2023 second-rounder (lower of the Miami HEAT and Mavericks).
- 7/10/19 — Bruno Caboclo’s 2019-20 salary guaranteed at $300,000.
- 7/17/19 — Deyonta Davis trade exception ($128,099) expired.
- 7/31/19 — Signed Marko Guduric to a two-year $5,375,000 contract.
- 8/24/19 — Waived Dwight Howard.
- 9/4/19 — Signed Matt Mooney to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/14/19 — Waived Matt Mooney.
- 10/14/19 — Signed Dusty Hannahs to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/19 — Waived Dusty Hannahs.
- 10/15/19 — Signed Ahmad Caver to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/16/19 — Waived Ahmad Caver.
- 10/16/19 — Signed Jarrod Uthoff to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Jarrod Uthoff.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Shaq Buchanan to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/18/19 — Waived Shaq Buchanan.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Bennie Boatwright to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Ivan Rabb, Miles Plumlee and Bennie Boatwright.
- 10/21/19 — Picked up Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen’s third-year rookie-scale options.
- 10/31/19 — Declined Josh Jackson’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Tyler Dorsey ($1,818,486)
- Non-Bird: Joakim Noah ($1,618,486)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Wang Zhelin (2016-57th), Tyler Harvey (2015-51st), Satnam Singh (2015-52nd)
Arena: FedEx Forum
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/1/19)