Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tyus Jones sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): None
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Ja Morant, De’Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones, Dusty Hannahs (10-day)
SG: Dillon Brooks, Marko Guduric, Yuta Watanabe (two-way), John Konchar (two-way), Grayson Allen (injured)
SF: Kyle Anderson, Josh Jackson, Justise Winslow (injured)
PF: Jontay Porter, Jaren Jackson Jr. (injured), Brandon Clarke (injured)
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Gorgui Dieng
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Mike Conley, expiring 7/6/20) — $7,726,457
- Trade Exception (C.J. Miles, expiring 7/6/20) — $3,126,308
- Trade Exception (Kyle Korver, expiring 7/7/20) — $3,440,000
- Trade Exception (Jevon Carter, expiring 7/7/20) — $1,416,852
- Trade Exception (Delon Wright, expiring 7/8/20) — $4,736,842
- Trade Exception (Andre Iguodala, expiring 2/6/21) — $4,185,185
- Trade Exception (Bruno Caboclo, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,845,301
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Tyus Jones)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Avery Bradley, Dwight Howard, Matt Mooney, Dusty Hannahs, Ahmad Caver, Jarrod Uthoff, Shaq Buchanan, Ivan Rabb, Miles Plumlee, Bennie Boatwright, Dion Waiters, Jordan Bell
Traded Players: Mike Conley, C.J. Miles, Kyle Korver, Jevon Carter, Julian Washburn, Chandler Parsons, Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Bruno Caboclo
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Dusty Hannahs, Jarrod Uthoff, Anthony Tolliver
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (head coach Jason March)
Two-Way Contracts: Yuta Watanabe, John Konchar
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
Assistants: Niele Ivey, Brad Jones, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Vitaly Potapenko, Nevan Spahija
Trainers: David Crewe (head athletic trainer), Allen Gruver (medical director), Eric Oetter (director of performance)
- Jason Wexler – president
- Zachary Kleiman — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Rich Cho — vice president of basketball strategy
- Glen Grunwald — senior advisor
- Tayshaun Prince — vice president of basketball affairs
- Chantal Hassard — vice president of team operations and player programs
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-eight protected, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) to Boston Celtics (Jeff Green).
- 2020 — Owed a first-rounder (8-14 range through 2021, top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Utah Jazz (Mike Conley).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Chicago Bulls (Justin Holiday), may go to the Washington Wizards or Houston Rockets (TBD).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder (31-35 range) from the Phoenix Suns (Josh Jackson).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr., Deividas Sirvydis, Delon Wright).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Ben McLemore).
- 2022 — Grizzlies have second-round swap rights with Detroit Pistons (James Ennis), may be Chicago Bulls second-rounder (Jameer Nelson).
- 2023 — Owed the lower second-rounder from the Miami HEAT or Dallas Mavericks (Delon Wright).
- 2023 — The Grizzlies can swap second-rounders, the lower of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT, from the Houston Rockets provided Houston’s second is lower than 32 (Jordan Bell).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2024, top-1 protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026) from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Brandon Clarke).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $2 million from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala) — $3,617,000 remaining
- Note: NBA temporarily in a moratorium/on hiatus.
- 6/8/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jontay Porter.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on De’Anthony Melton.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Jontay Porter.
- 7/6/20 — C.J. Miles trade exception expires.
- 7/7/20 — Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter trade exceptions expire.
- 7/8/20 — Delon Wright trade exception expires.
- 8/5/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Dillon Brooks.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke and Grayson Allen.
- 2/6/21 — Andre Iguodala and Bruno Caboclo trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Marko Guduric and Jontay Porter.
- 6/29/21 — Team option deadline for Justise Winslow.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brandon Clarke.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/11/19 — Fired coach J.B. Bickerstaff.
- 4/11/19 — General manager Chris Wallace demoted to scouting.
- 4/11/19 — Jason Wexler named president, Zachary Kleiman as executive vice president of basketball operations.
- 4/12/19 — C.J. Miles opted into the final year of his contract.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 2nd pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/11/19 — Hired Coach Taylor Jenkins.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Ja Morant (2nd).
- 6/25/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Delon Wright.
- 6/27/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offer to Tyler Dorsey.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Ja Morant (2019-2nd) to a $39,619,480 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/19 — Dillon Brooks’ $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Waived Avery Bradley.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz for Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen, the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a protected 2020 first-rounder.
- 7/6/19 — Traded the rights to Darius Bazley (23rd) and a 2024 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rights to Brandon Clarke (21st).
- 7/6/19 — Traded C.J. Miles to the Washington Wizards for Dwight Howard.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter to the Phoenix Suns for Josh Jackson, De’Anthony Melton and a second-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Brandon Clarke (2019-21st) to a $12,152,560 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Julian Washburn to the Golden State Warriors for Andre Iguodala and a 2024 first-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Chandler Parsons to the Atlanta Hawks for Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee.
- 7/7/19 — Signed John Konchar to a two-way contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jonas Valanciunas to a three-year $45 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Tyus Jones to a three-year $26,451,429 contract (Minnesota Timberwolves unmatched offer sheet, incentives TBD).
- 7/8/19 — Traded Delon Wright (via sign and trade) on a three-year $30,149,000 contract (incentives TBD) to the Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Satnam Singh (2015-52nd), a 2021 Portland Trail Blazers second-rounder, a 2023 second-rounder (lower of the Miami HEAT and Mavericks).
- 7/10/19 — Bruno Caboclo’s 2019-20 salary guaranteed at $300,000.
- 7/17/19 — Deyonta Davis trade exception ($128,099) expired.
- 7/31/19 — Signed Marko Guduric to a two-year $5,375,000 contract.
- 8/24/19 — Waived Dwight Howard.
- 9/4/19 — Signed Matt Mooney to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/14/19 — Waived Matt Mooney.
- 10/14/19 — Signed Dusty Hannahs to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/19 — Waived Dusty Hannahs.
- 10/15/19 — Signed Ahmad Caver to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/16/19 — Waived Ahmad Caver.
- 10/16/19 — Signed Jarrod Uthoff to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Jarrod Uthoff.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Shaq Buchanan to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/18/19 — Waived Shaq Buchanan.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Bennie Boatwright to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Ivan Rabb, Miles Plumlee and Bennie Boatwright.
- 10/21/19 — Picked up Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen’s third-year rookie-scale options.
- 10/31/19 — Declined Josh Jackson’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 1/10/20 — Bruno Caboclo’s $1,845,301 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 2/5/20 — Signed Dillon Brooks to a three-year $35 million extension.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder and Solomon Hill to the Miami HEAT for Justise Winslow and Dion Waiters from the HEAT, and Gorgui Dieng from the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Bruno Caboclo to the Houston Rockets for Jordan Bell and 2023 second-round swap rights.
- 2/7/20 — Shelvin Mack ($1,512,601) and Garrett Temple ($184,467) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/9/20 — Waived Dion Waiters.
- 2/21/20 – Signed Dusty Hannahs to a 10-day $81,678 contract
- 2/27/20 — Ended Dusty Hannah’s 10-day contract.
- 2/27/20 — Signed Jarrod Uthoff to a 10-day $81,678 contract.
- 3/2/20 — Waived Jordan Bell.
- 3/2/20 — Signed Anthony Tolliver to a 10-day $144,901 contract.
- 3/7/20 — Jarrod Uthoff’s 10-day contract expired.
- 3/8/20 — Signed Jontay Porter to a two-year $1,715,914 contract, team option on final season.
- 3/11/20 – Anthony Tolliver’s 10-day contract expired.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Tyler Dorsey ($1,818,486)
- Non-Bird: Joakim Noah ($1,618,486)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Wang Zhelin (2016-57th), Tyler Harvey (2015-51st), Satnam Singh (2015-52nd)
Arena: FedEx Forum
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/13/20)