Minnesota Timberwolves Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $7.9-$16.5 million
- Mid-Level Exception: $1,513,999 (partially used on Nemanja Bjelica)
- Bi-Annual Exception: $2,139,000
- Trade Exception (Corey Brewer, expiring 12/19/15) — $2,847,180
- Trade Exception (Ronny Turiaf, expiring 12/19/15) — $350,500 (partially used on Damjan Rudez)
- Trade Exception (Mo Williams, expiring 2/10/16) — $500,000
- Trade Exception (Troy Daniels, expiring 2/10/16) — $816,482
- Trade Exception (Chase Budinger, expiring 7/12/16) — $5,000,000
Estimated Salary: Tayshaun Prince
Roster Count: 16 guaranteed, one partially-guaranteed
PG: Ricky Rubio, Andre Miller, Tyus Jones
SG: Kevin Martin, Zach LaVine, Lorenzo Brown
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad, Tayshaun Prince, Damjan Rudez
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kevin Garnett, Adreian Payne, Anthony Bennett, Nemanja Bjelica
C: Nikola Pekovic, Gorgui Dieng
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
First-Round Player Options: Andrew Wiggins (third-year), Zach LaVine (third-year), Adreian Payne (third-year), Anthony Bennett (fourth-year), Gorgui Dieng (fourth-year), Shabazz Muhammad (fourth-year)
- 9/12/15 — Damjan Rudez’ salary can be aggregated in trade.
- 10/31/15 — Team options for Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, Adreian Payne, Anthony Bennett, Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad.
- 12/15/15 — The no-trade restriction lifts on Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince and Andre Miller.
- 12/19/15 — Ronny Turiaf and Corey Brewer trade exceptions expire.
- 1/10/16 — Lorenzo Brown’s $947k guarantees for 15/16.
- 2/10/16 — Mo Williams and Troy Daniels trade exceptions expire.
- 7/12/16 — Chase Budinger trade exception expires.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/29/15 — Chase Budinger opted into his contract for 2015/16.
- 6/25/15 — Selected Karl-Anthony Towns with the 1st pick in the draft.
- 6/25/15 — Traded Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) and a 2019 second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers for Tyus Jones (2015-24th).
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Robbie Hummel.
- 7/2/15 — Signed Tyus Jones (2015-24th) to a $6.5 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/15 — Rescinded qualifying offer to Robbie Hummel.
- 7/6/15 — Signed Karl-Anthony Towns (2015-1st) to a $25.7 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/10/15 — Signed Kevin Garnett to a two-year, $16.5 million contract.
- 7/12/15 — Traded Chase Budinger to Indiana Pacers for Damjan Rudez.
- 7/13/15 — Signed Nemanja Bjelica (2010-35th) to a three-year, $11.7 million contract.
- 8/3/15 — Signed Andre Miller to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 8/19/15 — Signed Tayshaun Prince to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
No-Trade: Kevin Garnett
Waived Players: None
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
Head Coach: Flip Saunders
Assistants: Sam Mitchell, Sidney Lowe, Ryan Saunders, David Adelman
Trainer: Gregg Farnam
- Flip Saunders — President of Basketball Operations and Minority Owner
- Milt Newton — General Manager
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder (top-45 protected) from Houston Rockets (Corey Brewer).
- 2016 — Owe first-rounder (top-12 protected through 2016 else converts to 2016 and 2017 second-rounders) to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2017 — Owe first-round pick (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne). Pick won’t be conveyed until two years after Minnesota’s obligation to Phoenix Suns is satisfied.
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $0
- Early Bird: Justin Hamilton, Robbie Hummel
- Non-Bird: Arinze Onuaku, Othyus Jeffers*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: Fort Wayne Mad Ants (shared affiliation)
- Justin Hamilton — $947,276 (Early Bird)
- Arinze Onuaku — $947,276 (Non-Bird)
- Othyus Jeffers — $947,276 (Non-Bird)
- Robbie Hummel — $947,276 (Early Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/25/15)