Quick: Over the cap, hard-capped by the Jake Layman sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): None
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Jeff Teague, Shabazz Napier, Jordan McLaughlin (two-way)
SG: Andrew Wiggins, Josh Okogie, Treveon Graham, Jaylen Nowell
SF: Robert Covington, Jarrett Culver, Keita Bates-Diop, Kelan Martin (two-way)
PF: Jake Layman, Noah Vonleh
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Gorgui Dieng, Jordan Bell, Naz Reid
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Justin Patton, expiring 11/12/19) — $822,299
- Mid-Level Exception — $4,959,690 (Noah Vonleh, Naz Reid, Jaylen Nowell)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
- Tyrone Wallace $1,588,231 ($300,000 guaranteed)
Waived Players: Cameron Reynolds, Lindell Wigginton, Jordan Murphy, Tyus Battle, Barry Brown, Tyrone Wallace
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Traded Players: Dario Saric
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Gianluca Pascucci, coach Sam Newman-Beck)
Two-Way Contracts: Jordan McLaughlin, Kelan Martin
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Ryan Saunders
Assistants: Ed Pinckney, Pablo Prigioni, Ed Pinckney, Jerry Sichting, Kevin Hanson (assistant coach/director of player development), Jeff Newton (offensive associate/player development coach), Max Lefevre (video coordinator/player development associate), Greg Stiemsma (player development associate), Kwadzo Ahelegbe (associate video coordinator/player development coach), Cole Fisher (basketball operations and coaching analyst)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam, Matthew Duhamel (director of athletic therapy), Pierre Nesbit (assistant athletic trainer), Troy Sutton (assistant strength and conditioning coach)
- Gersson Rosas — president of basketball operations
- Sachin Gupta — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Joe Branch — assistant general manager
- Gianluca Pascucci — assistant general manager
- Manny Rohan — assistant general manager
- Brian Pauga — director of player personnel
- Todd Checovich — manager of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — director of pro personnel
- Daisuke Yoshimoto — special assistant to the president of basketball operations
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers or the Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $3.6 million from the Golden State Warriors (Treveon Graham\Shabazz Napier) — $2,017,000 remaining
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Josh Okogie.
- 11/12/19 — Justin Patton trade exception expires.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jordan Murphy, Noah Vonleh, Jake Layman, Noah Vonleh, Naz Reid and Jordan Bell.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on Jordan Bell.
- 7/7/20 — Keita Bates-Diop’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Josh Okogie and Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/21 — Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid’s $1,517,981 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Keita Bates-Diop.
- 7/20/21 — Naz Reid’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- Before the first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/22 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,782621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 7/20/22 — Naz Reid’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/23 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/30/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Jarrett Culver.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/12/19 — Jeff Teague opted into the final year of his contract.
- 5/3/19 — Hired Gersson Rosas as president of basketball operations.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 11th and 43rd (from the Miami HEAT) picks in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Officially named Ryan Saunders head coach.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Cameron Johnson (11th) and Jaylen Nowell (43rd).
- 6/26/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Tyus Jones. Declined the offer to Mitchell Creek.
- 6/28/19 — Waived Cameron Reynolds.
- 7/4/19 — Signed Naz Reid to a two-way contract.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Dario Saric and the rights to Cameron Johnson (11th) to the Phoenix Suns for the rights to Jarrett Culver (6th).
- 7/7/19 — Declined an offer sheet on Tyus Jones (Memphis Grizzlies).
- 7/8/19 — Signed Jarrett Culver (2019-6th) to a $26,422,143 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/19 — Traded the rights to Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th) to the Portland Trail Blazers for Jake Layman, via sign and trade on a three-year $11,283,255 contract.
- 7/8/19 — Signed Noah Vonleh to a $2 million contract.
- 7/8/19 — Traded the rights to Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th) to the Golden State Warriors for Shabazz Napier, Treveon Graham and $3.6 million.
- 7/8/19 — Claimed Tyrone Wallace off waivers (Los Angeles Clippers).
- 7/10/19 — Shabazz Napier’s $1,845,301 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/10/19 — Treveon Graham’s $1,645,357 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/11/19 — Signed Jordan Bell to a $1,620,564 minimum contract.
- 7/18/19 — Ended the two-way of Naz Reid, signing him to a partially-guaranteed four-year $6,129,593 contract, team option on final season.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Jordan McLaughlin to a two-way contract.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Jaylen Nowell (2019-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed $6,631,283 contract, team option on final season.
- 8/8/19 — Signed Kelan Martin to a two-way contract.
- 8/30/19 — Signed Lindell Wigginton to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/12/19 — Tyrone Wallace’s contract guaranteed at $300,000 for 2019-20.
- 9/15/19 — Signed Jordan Murphy to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/14/19 — Waived Lindell Wigginton and Jordan Murphy.
- 10/14/19 — Signed Tyus Battle to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/14/19 — Signed Barry Brown to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/21/19 — Waived Tyus Battle, Barry Brown and Tyrone Wallace.
- Karl-Anthony Towns — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Jerryd Bayless ($16,294,240)
- Non-Bird: Mitchell Creek ($1,645,697), Jared Terrell (two-way), Aaron Brooks* ($1,620,564)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th)
Arena: Target Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 10/22/19)