Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Hard Cap: $129,817,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $11.9 million, none if Jeff Teague opts in.
Roster Count: Fourteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Jeff Teague, Derrick Rose, Tyus Jones
SG: Josh Okogie, Jerryd Bayless, Jarred Terrell (two-way)
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Keita Bates-Diop, C.J. Williams (two-way), Robert Covington (injured)
PF: Taj Gibson, Dario Saric, Anthony Tolliver, Luol Deng
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Gorgui Dieng
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Justin Patton, expiring 11/12/19) — $2,667,600)
- Mid-Level Exception — $2,052,536 (Anthony Tolliver, Keita Bates-Diop)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,382,000
Waived Players: Cole Aldrich (stretched), Darius Johnson-Odom, Jonathan Stark, Canyon Barry, William Lee, James Nunnally
Traded Players: Jimmy Butler, Justin Patton
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Derrick Rose (implicit)
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Todd Checovich, Scott Roth coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jared Terrell, C.J. Williams
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Interim Head Coach: Ryan Saunders
Assistants: Ed Pinckney, John Lucas III (player development coach), Malik Allen, Larry Greer
Trainer: Gregg Farnam, Matthew Duhamel (director of athletic therapy), Pierre Nesbit (assistant athletic trainer), Troy Sutton (assistant strength and conditioning coach)
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Brian Pauga — director of player personnel
- Manny Rohan — director of basketball administration
- Todd Checovich — manager of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — director of pro personnel
- Daisuke Yoshimoto — special assistant to the president of basketball operations
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Tyus Jones, Anderson Varejao, Gary Trent Jr.) or Atlanta Hawks (Richard Jefferson), the higher pick to the Blazers.
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from Philadelphia 76ers or Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 1/15/19 — Last day to sign a player to a two-way contract.
- 1/19/19 — No-package restrictions lift on Robert Covington, Dario Saric and Jerryd Bayless.
- 2/7/19 — Trade deadline.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Tyus Jones, Darius Johnson-Odom and Jonathan Stark.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Dario Saric.
- 11/12/19 — Justin Patton trade exception expires.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Dario Saric.
- 7/7/20 — Keita Bates-Diop’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/5/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on Keita Bates-Diop.
- 6/30/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Keita Bates-Diop.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/18/18 — Jamal Crawford opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Josh Okogie (20th) and Keita Bates-Diop (48th).
- 6/28/18 — Issued a qualifying offer to Nemanja Bjelica.
- 7/2/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Nemanja Bjelica.
- 7/2/18 — Signed Josh Okogie (2018-20th) to an $11,430,344 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/2/18 — Re-signed Derrick Rose to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/5/18 — Signed Jared Terrell to a one-year two-way contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Keita Bates-Diop (2018-48th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,919,177 contract.
- 7/7/18 — Signed Anthony Tolliver to a one-year, $5,750,000 contract.
- 7/31/18 — Signed C.J. Williams to a two-way contract.
- 8/7/18 — Signed James Nunnally to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,937,614 contract.
- 9/10/18 — Signed Luol Deng to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 9/23/18 — Signed Darius Johnson-Odom to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,512,601 minimum summer contract.
- 9/23/18 — Signed Jonathan Stark to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/23/18 — Signed Karl-Anthony Towns to an estimated five-year $158,050,000 designated rookie-scale extension.
- 10/12/18 — Signed William Lee to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/13/18 — Signed Canyon Barry to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/31/18 — Declined the team option on Justin Patton.
- 11/12/18 — Traded Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton to the Philadelphia 76ers for Dario Saric, Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless and a 2022 second-rounder.
- 1/6/19 — Fired Coach and President of Basketball Operations Tom Thibodeau.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Aaron Brooks ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
Arena: Target Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/7/19)