Minnesota Timberwolves Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $24.8-1-$27.1 million
- Room: $2,898,000
- Trade: (Chase Budinger, expiring 7/12/16) — $5,000,000
Trade exception expires when team goes under cap.
2016/17 Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, one team option
Draft Picks: 5th (lottery TBD)
- Early Bird: Justin Hamilton*, Robbie Hummel*
- Non-Bird: Tayshaun Prince, Arinze Onuaku*, Othyus Jeffers*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Greg Smith ($1,139,123)
Qualifying Offers: None
PG: Ricky Rubio, Tyus Jones
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad, Damjan Rudez
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kevin Garnett, Nemanja Bjelica, Adreian Payne
C: Gorgui Dieng, Nikola Pekovic, Greg Smith
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Andrew Wiggins ($7,574,323), Karl-Anthony Towns ($6,216,840), Zach LaVine ($3,202,218), Adreian Payne ($3,100,094), Tyus Jones ($1,397,400)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Shabazz Muhammad, Gorgui Dieng
- 5/17/16 — 2016 NBA draft lottery.
- 6/22/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Greg Smith.
- 6/23/16 — 2016 NBA Draft.
- 6/29/16 — Team option on Damjan Rudez.
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins.
- 7/12/16 — Chase Budinger trade exception expires.
- 10/31/16 — Team options on Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine, Adreian Payne and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadlines for Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad
- 1/10/17 — Greg Smith’s $1,139,123 guarantees for 2016/17.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines Gorgui Dieng, Shabazz Muhammad and Damjan Rudez.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica, Zach LaVine and Adreian Payne.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/20/16 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as president of basketball operations and coach. Scott Layden hired as general manager.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Kevin Garnett
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: TBD, but formerly Sidney Lowe, Ryan Saunders, David Adelman, Bryant Gates, Vince Legarza (player development assistant/player development video coordinator)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam
- Tom Thibodeau — President of Basketball Operations
- Scott Layden – General Manager
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2018 — Owe first-round pick (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne). Pick won’t be conveyed until two years after Minnesota’s obligation to Phoenix Suns is satisfied.
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $0
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: None
- Justin Hamilton — $980,431 (Early Bird)
- Arinze Onuaku — $980,431 (Non-Bird)
- Othyus Jeffers — $980,431 (Non-Bird)
- Robbie Hummel — $980,431 (Early Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/28/16)