Minnesota Timberwolves Team Salary
Quick: Under the cap by $13.1 million.
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): Up to $29.0 million
- Room: $2,898,000
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed
PG: Ricky Rubio, Kris Dunn, Tyus Jones
SG: Brandon Rush, Zach LaVine (injured)
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad
PF: Gorgui Dieng, Omri Casspi, Nemanja Bjelica (injured), Adreian Payne (injured)
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Cole Aldrich, Jordan Hill, Nikola Pekovic (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 6/30/17 — Jordan Hill’s $4,180,000 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Kris Dunn, Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/20/18 — Cole Aldrich’s $6,956,021 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica and Zach LaVine.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Kris Dunn.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/19 — Extension deadline on Kris Dunn.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kris Dunn.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/20/16 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as president of basketball operations and coach. Scott Layden hired as general manager.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Kris Dunn (5th).
- 6/29/16 — Declined team option on the final year of Damjan Rudez’s contract.
- 7/5/16 — Signed Kris Dunn (2016-5th) to a $17.5 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Brandon Rush to a one-year, $3.5 million contract.
- 7/12/16 — Signed Cole Aldrich to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $21.9 million contract.
- 7/19/16 — Signed Jordan Hill to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $8.2 million contract.
- 8/22/16 — Signed Toure’ Murry to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 8/24/16 — Signed John Lucas to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,403,611 summer contract.
- 9/23/16 — Signed Rasual Butler to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,551,659 summer contract.
- 10/23/16 — Team options on Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/16 — Signed Gorgui Dieng to a four-year, $62.8 million contract extension.
- 10/31/16 — Did not extend Shabazz Muhammad.
- 10/31/16 — Declined team option on Adreian Payne.
- 2/8/17 — Signed Lance Stephenson to a 10-day $72,193 contract.
- 3/8/17 — Signed Lance Stephenson to a 10-day $72,193 contract.
- 3/20/17 — Signed Omri Casspi for the rest of the season at an estimated $185,710.
Waived Players: Greg Smith, Kevin Garnett, Toure’ Murry, Rasual Butler, John Lucas
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Lance Stephenson (two)
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: Ryan Saunders, Andy Greer, Rick Brunson, Ed Pinckney, Peter Patton (shooting coach), Vince Legarza (player development coach)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam, Matthew Duhamel (director of athletic therapy), Pierre Nesbit (assistant athletic trainer), Troy Sutton (assistant strength and conditioning coach), David Crewe (head strength and conditioning coach/assistant athletic trainer)
- Tom Thibodeau — president of basketball operations
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Brian Pauga — director of player personnel
- Manny Rohan — director of basketball administration
- Todd Checovich — manager of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — director of pro personnel
- Daisuke Yoshimoto — special assistant to the president of basketball operations
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2018 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones), may convey to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
- Non-Bird: Tayshaun Prince ($980,431 cap hold), Othyus Jeffers ($980,431 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: None but purchased the Iowa Energy for the 2017-18 season.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/21/17)