Minnesota Timberwolves Team Salary
Quick: Up to $13.4 million in cap space
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): Up to $30.7 million
- Room: $2,898,000
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, three non-guaranteed
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: John Lucas ($1,403,611), Toure’ Murry ($980,431), Rasual Butler ($1,551,659)
PG: Ricky Rubio, Kris Dunn, Tyus Jones, John Lucas
SG: Zach LaVine, Brandon Rush, Toure’ Murry
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad, Rasual Butler
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns, Nemanja Bjelica, Adreian Payne
C: Gorgui Dieng, Cole Aldrich, Jordan Hill, Nikola Pekovic (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Andrew Wiggins ($7,574,323), Karl-Anthony Towns ($6,216,840), Zach LaVine ($3,202,218), Adreian Payne ($3,100,094), Tyus Jones ($1,397,400)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Shabazz Muhammad, Gorgui Dieng
Eligible for Restructuring: Nikola Pekovic
- 10/31/16 — Team options on Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine, Adreian Payne and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadlines for Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad
- 12/15/16 — No-trade restrictions lift on Brandon Rush, Toure’ Murry, John Lucas, Jordan Hill and Cole Aldrich.
- 12/23/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rasual Butler.
- 1/10/17 — Rasual Butler’s $1,551,659 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — John Lucas’ $1,403,611 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Toure’ Murry’s $980,431 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Nikola Pekovic’s contract.
- 6/30/17 — Jordan Hill’s $4,180,000 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines Gorgui Dieng, Shabazz Muhammad and Toure’ Murry.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Kris Dunn, Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/20/18 — Cole Aldrich’s $6,956,021 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica, Zach LaVine and Adreian Payne.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Kris Dunn.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/19 — Extension deadline on Kris Dunn.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kris Dunn.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/20/16 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as president of basketball operations and coach. Scott Layden hired as general manager.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Kris Dunn (5th).
- 6/29/16 — Declined team option on the final year of Damjan Rudez’s contract.
- 7/5/16 — Signed Kris Dunn (2016-5th) to a $17.5 million rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Brandon Rush to a one-year, $3.5 million contract.
- 7/12/16 — Signed Cole Aldrich to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $21.9 million contract.
- 7/19/16 — Signed Jordan Hill to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $8.2 million contract.
- 8/22/16 — Signed Toure’ Murry to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 8/24/16 — Signed John Lucas to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,403,611 summer contract.
- 9/23/16 — Signed Rasual Butler to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,551,659 summer contract.
Waived Players: Greg Smith, Kevin Garnett
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Kevin Garnett
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: Ryan Saunders, Andy Greer, Rick Brunson, Ed Pinckney, Peter Patton (shooting coach), Vince Legarza (player development coach)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam, Matthew Duhamel (director of athletic therapy), Pierre Nesbit (assistant athletic trainer), Troy Sutton (assistant strength and conditioning coach), David Crewe (head strength and conditioning coach/assistant athletic trainer)
- Tom Thibodeau — president of basketball operations
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Brian Pauga — director of player personnel
- Manny Rohan — director of basketball administration
- Todd Checovich — manager of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — director of pro personnel
- Daisuke Yoshimoto — special assistant to the president of basketball operations
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2018 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones), may convey to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
- Non-Bird: Tayshaun Prince ($980,431 cap hold), Othyus Jeffers ($980,431 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: None
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 10/8/16)