Minnesota Timberwolves Team Salary
Quick: $17.6-$29.1 million in cap space
- Room: $2,898,000
- Trade: (Chase Budinger, expiring 7/12/16) — $5,000,000
Trade exception expires when team goes under cap.
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Kris Dunn (2016-5th, cap hold $3,227,100)
- Second-rounders: Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th), Lior Eliyahu (2006-44th)
- Early Bird: Justin Hamilton ($980,341 cap hold)*, Robbie Hummel ($1,144,000 cap hold)*
- Non-Bird: Tayshaun Prince ($980,431 cap hold), Arinze Onuaku ($980,431 cap hold)*, Othyus Jeffers ($980,431 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
PG: Ricky Rubio, Tyus Jones
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Muhammad
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kevin Garnett, Nemanja Bjelica, Adreian Payne
C: Gorgui Dieng, Nikola Pekovic
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Andrew Wiggins ($7,574,323), Karl-Anthony Towns ($6,216,840), Zach LaVine ($3,202,218), Adreian Payne ($3,100,094), Tyus Jones ($1,397,400)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Shabazz Muhammad, Gorgui Dieng
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins.
- 7/12/16 — Chase Budinger trade exception expires.
- 8/15/16 — Nikola Pekovic’s contract eligible for restructuring.
- 10/31/16 — Team options on Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine, Adreian Payne and Tyus Jones.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadlines for Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Nikola Pekovic’s contract.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines Gorgui Dieng, Shabazz Muhammad and Damjan Rudez.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica, Zach LaVine and Adreian Payne.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Karl-Anthony Towns and Tyus Jones.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/20/16 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as president of basketball operations and coach. Scott Layden hired as general manager.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Kris Dunn (5th).
- 6/29/16 — Declined team option on the final year of Damjan Rudez’s contract.
Waived Players: Greg Smith
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Kevin Garnett
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants (TBD): Ryan Saunders, David Adelman, Bryant Gates, Vince Legarza (player development assistant/player development video coordinator)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam
- Tom Thibodeau — President of Basketball Operations
- Scott Layden – General Manager
- Manny Rohan — Manager of Basketball Administration, Salary Cap
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from New Orleans Pelicans (Brad Miller).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2018 — Owe first-round pick (lottery protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2020 and 2021 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Adreian Payne).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyus Jones), may convey to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Darko Milicic.
D-League Affiliate: None
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 6/30/16)