Quick: Over the cap and over the luxury tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Ben Simmons, Shake Milton, Tyrese Maxey, George Hill
SG: Seth Curry, Matisse Thybulle, Isaiah Joe
SF: Danny Green, Furkan Korkmaz, Rayjon Tucker (two-way)
PF: Tobias Harris, Mike Scott, Paul Reed Jr, Anthony Tolliver, Gary Clark (two-way)
C: Dwight Howard, Joel Embiid (injured)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Al Horford, expiring 8/24/21*) — $8,190,134
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,210,562 (Isaiah Joe, Paul Reed Jr)
* Exact date TBD
Waived Players: Norvel Pelle, Marial Shayok (two-way), Justin Robinson, Lamine Diane, Ryan Broekhoff, Derrick Walton Jr, Justin Anderson, Frank Mason, Dakota Mathias (two-way), Ignas Brazdeikis, Mason Jones (two-way)
Traded Players: Josh Richardson, Zhaire Smith, Al Horford, Tony Bradley, Vincent Poirer, Terrance Ferguson
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Anthony Tolliver (two)
G-League Affiliate: Delaware Blue Coats (Matt Lilly general manager, Connor Johnson coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Rayjon Tucker, Gary Clark
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Josh Harris
- Daryl Morey — president of basketball operations
- Elton Brand — general manager
- Peter Dinwiddie — executive vice president, basketball operations
- Ned Cohen — assistant general manager
- Prosper Karangwa — vice president, player personnel
- Annelie Schmittel — vice president, player development
- Vince Rozman, vice president, scouting
Head Coach: Doc Rivers
Assistants: Dave Joerger, Sam Cassell, Dan Burke, Popeye Jones, Eric Hughes, Brian Adams, Todor Pandov
Trainers: Simon Rice (vice president, athlete care), Kevin Johnson (head athletic trainer), Ben Kenyon (head strength and conditioning coach)
- 2021 — The Houston Rockets can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). The lower pick will go to the New York Knicks (George Hill).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the New York Knicks (Willy Hernangomez).
- 2022 — The Philadelphia 76ers can swap second-rounders with the Denver Nuggets, the higher pick going to the Minnesota Timberwolves, the lower to the Miami HEAT (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler, Bol Manute Bol). May go to the Houston Rockets via Miami (Victor Oladipo).
- 2023 — Owed a the highest second-rounder from the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets and Brooklyn Nets (Bruno Fernando).
- 2024– Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone).
- 2025 — Owe first-rounder (top-6 protected in 2025, top-4 protected through 2027, otherwise converts to a 2027 second-rounder) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Al Horford).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (George Hill).
- 2026 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $2 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Al Horford) — $3,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 6/13/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Paul Reed Jr.
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Anthony Tolliver.
- 8/2/21 — George Hill’s $10,047,297 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/24/21 — Al Horford trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Matisse Thybulle and Tyrese Maxey.
- 1/7/22 — Paul Reed Jr’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Shake Milton.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Matisse Thybulle.
- Before the first game of the 2022-23 season — Isaiah Joe’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Tyrese Maxey.
- 1/7/23 — Paul Reed Jr’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Matisse Thybulle, Paul Reed Jr and Isaiah Joe.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Matisse Thybulle.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyrese Maxey.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 8/24/20 — Fired coach Brett Brown.
- 10/1/20 — Hired coach Doc Rivers.
- 11/2/20 — Hired president of basketball operations Daryl Morey.
- 11/2/20 — Signed general manager Elton Brand to a contract extension.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Tyrese Maxey (2020-21), Theo Maledon (2020-34), Tyler Bey (2020-36), Isaiah Joe (2020-49) and Paul Reed Jr (2020-58th).
- 11/19/20 — Traded Josh Richardson and the rights to Tyler Bey (2020-36) to the Dallas Mavericks for Seth Curry.
- 11/20/20 — Waived Norvel Pelle and Marial Shayok (two-way).
- 11/21/20 — Signed Dwight Howard to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 11/21/20 — Signed Justin Anderson to a partially-guaranteed two-year $4,012,890 minimum contract.
- 11/23/20 — Traded Zhaire Smith to the Detroit Pistons for Tony Bradley.
- 11/26/20 — Furkan Korkmaz’s $1,762,796 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Isaiah Joe (2020-49th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,198,912 contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Ryan Broekhoff to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Derrick Walton Jr to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Dakota Mathias to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Paul Reed Jr (2020-58th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Lamine Diane to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/2/20 — Signed Tyrese Maxey (2020-21st) to a $12,242,469 rookie-scale contract.
- 12/6/20 — Signed Justin Robinson to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/7/20 — Waived Justin Robinson and Lamine Diane.
- 12/8/20 — Traded Al Horford, Theo Maledon (2020-34th), the rights to Vasilije Micic (2014-52nd), a protected 2025 first-rounder (top-6 protected in 2025, top-4 through 2027, otherwise converts to a 2027 second-rounder) and $2 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Danny Green, Terrance Ferguson and Vincent Poirier.
- 12/14/20 — Waived Ryan Broekhoff and Derrick Walton Jr.
- 12/18/20 — Signed Frank Mason to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Justin Anderson and Frank Mason.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline on Terrence Ferguson elapsed.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Matisse Thybulle’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 1/18/21 — Waived Dakota Mathias (two-way).
- 1/22/21 — Signed Rayjon Tucker to a two-way contract.
- 3/22/21 — James Ennis trade exception ($1,882,867) expired.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Terrance Ferguson, Vincent Poirier, the rights to Emir Preldzic (2009-57th), a 2021 second-rounder (the lower of the Houston Rockets and Sixers) and a Miami Heat 2024 second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the New York Knicks and Tony Bradley and 2025 and 2026 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for George Hill from the Thunder and Ignas Brazdeikis from the Knicks.
- 3/26/21 — Re-signed Paul Reed Jr to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,909,730 contract, ending his two-way contract.
- 3/26/21 — Signed Mason Jones to a two-way contract.
- 4/8/21 — Waived Ignas Brazdeikis.
- 4/12/21 — Signed Anthony Tolliver to a 10-day $175,668 contract.
- 4/22/21 — Anthony Tolliver’s 10-day contract expired.
- 4/12/21 — Re-signed Anthony Tolliver to a second 10-day $175,668 contract.
- 5/2/21 — Anthony Tolliver’s 10-day contract expired.
- 5/2/21 — Re-signed Anthony Tolliver to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,956,493 minimum contract.
- 5/6/21 — Waived Mason Jones (two-way).
- 5/11/21 — Signed Gary Clark to a two-way contract.
- Tobias Harris — lower of five percent or $5 million
- Ben Simmons — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Kyle O’Quinn ($1,620,564)
Unsigned Draft Picks
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/12/21)