NBA Rumors Chat With Steve Kyler 2/10/14

Steve_Kyler_Chat_InsidersBasketball Insiders Publisher Steve Kyler will hold his weekly chat at 10:30am EST on Mondays. Drop in your questions regarding NBA trades, the NBA Draft, roster moves or questions about your team.

1. Rovyn

Hey Steve how goes it? I had a fee scenarios that I would like your thoughts on

NYK Daa

• Steve Kyler

Welcome in everyone. Hope the week has been good to you… lots of stuff going on on our side. Sorry for the delay, but lets jump into it.

I have no idea what you are asking. I would normally skip something like this, but as a personal rule I always answer the first question. So re-submit a complete thought and I’ll do my best.

2. Dionusis

What your opinion on Harkless, T.Harris ? Who do you think has the higher ceiling and what might that ceiling be ?

• Steve Kyler

Love both of those guys. They are personal friends and I am enjoying watching them both find some professional success.

As for ceiling, thats tied to opportunity. I think we’ve seen that Tobias can score at an elite level. He is not afraid to take the big shots. I want to see Tobias become a more engaged defender, but he is a really good player.

On Harkless, I want Mo to be more aggressive and maybe a little more selfish. I tell him that often. I think he is finding his way with this new second unit and he’s earning minutes being a solid defender. Mo’s strength is that very much like Rudy Gay or Kevin Durant, in open space he is almost impossible to guard. I scratch my head at how Orlando uses him offensively. I think some of that is on Mo to attack, but also they need to take some chances with him in open space and maybe run a play or two for the kid and let him get his swagger on offense back.

Both are really solid players.

3. paul

The Rockets have quietly been the hottest team in the league since getting Pat Beverly back, who brings so much to the table for the rockets defensively. He actually leads the team in net rating ahead of howard and harden. With Howard looking like the Orlando Howard once again. Now that we’re healthy and the Blazers are starting to struggle more. Do you see us possibly getting a three seed? maybe even with the spurs age is catching up to them, do you see us possibly getting that division crown that has eluded us for years?

• Steve Kyler

I think the West is still wide open… six teams could line up in the one to three seed, so its going to be about who finishes.

I agree with you on Dwight… they are running more stuff through him and good things are happening.

4. Jeff

Even before the deluge of injuries, the Spurs needed more size up front (Diaw is the third big man), and they are overloaded in the backcourt. Detroit can’t afford Monroe going forward, but it’s hard to get back value for him given his limited salary this year. How about Danny Green, any back up point guard (Mills, Cory Joseph, or de Colo), and a first round draft pick for Monroe? I’m a Spurs fan, so maybe I’m overlooking potential trades that would work better for Detroit?

• Steve Kyler

Not sure where the Detroit can’t afford Monroe angle is coming from, they have $33 million in guaranteed salary commitments next season and $47 is they keep everyone they have options on… Not being able to afford Monroe is a myth.

Having spoken with teams trying to pry Monroe out of Detroit the price tag on him is EXCESSIVELY high. You are not getting Greg for anything that doesn’t include a borderline All-Star or a top tier draft pick. It might take both.

5. Alex Kennedy

Hi, How are you doing today?

Which rookies are you excited to watch next season and why?

What tip/tips would you give to Wiggins, Parker, and randles before they enter the draft?

What are wiggins, parkers, and randles ceiling in a few years?

• Steve Kyler

Hi, How are you doing today?
      — I am great and you?

Which rookies are you excited to watch next season and why?
      — I don’t get “excited” to watch players anymore, especially not until I see where they will land. I am little jaded in my increasing age.

What tip/tips would you give to Wiggins, Parker, and randles before they enter the draft?
      — You are not nearly as good as everyone says you are. You’ll make your career by working hard and improving as a player and if you want to have a chance at Rookie of the Year, it starts in May in the gym… Also keep your world small, and avoid believing the hype no matter how nuts it gets.

What are wiggins, parkers, and randles ceiling in a few years?
      — 100% about where they land… I have said a few times I think Wiggins is a Tracy McGrady-type player. I think Parker has the potential to be a better version of Carmelo Anthony… I think Randle has a chance to be as good a low post beast as Zach Randolph or Paul Millsap. None of them are the next coming of LeBron or Kobe.

6. Mike

Should the Bobcats make a trade for Kyrie? I know 1st round picks would have to go and maybe Kemba. Would it be worth it?

• Steve Kyler

I have been told there is no scenario outside of getting LeBron back that the Cavs would consider trading Kyrie Irving… so nothing else really to say. The Bobcats don’t have the pieces to even get a conversation going.

7. Chris G

I’ve always kinda wondered about something and would appreciate your view. How does someone like Joe Dumars, who built a championship team in Detroit in 2004, become viewed as so incompetent 10 years later? Along those same lines, how do coaches get fired a year or two after winning coach of the year? Do they change, or do their situations? Did Dumars just wake up one day and become a bad GM?

• Steve Kyler

A couple of things on Joe… first, look at the Pistons draft history under Joe Dumars (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-by-team/history-of-the-nba-draft-detroit-pistons/) he has done really, really well. Everyone points to the Darko thing, but everyone forget the hype Darko had coming into the draft and that Detroit was poised to win a championship and had Tayshaun Prince at the small forward. Carmelo Anthony would never have played on that Pistons team…. there is a little revisionist history on that one because we know what they became, on draft day you don;t know what a guy is going to become… ask the Cavs about Anthony Bennett.

As for the negative… eight coaches since 2000, some of the worst contract issued in basketball… those are things that get Joe in trouble in the court of public opinion.

Joe is great at finding and drafting the right guys. His track record there is among the best in the NBA… its the other stuff that sinks him.

8. LA in LA

Hey Kyler, have a few questions:

1) I know Exum never said he’d only play for the Lakers, but if he decides (assuming we’re low enough in the draft) that he will only play for them and the Lakers actually want to pick him, can’t he use the real threat of going back to Australia or even Europe as leverage?

2)I’ve seen you write multiple times about wondering whether Orlando will pay the $10-$12 million necessary to keep Vucevic, and I’m just curious why he thinks he’s worth so much. I understand his agent will sell teams on him being a true 7footer who is a phenomenal rebounder, but if I’m a team I’d balk at the idea of paying a guy who very likely no more than a quality back-up center $10-$12 million.
    (That’s how I view paying anyone who’s an annual Sixth Man of the Year candidate double figures if he likely couldn’t start on a contender). FYI I realize start on a contender is somewhat vague.

3) What is the thing you’d like to see Silver change the most: the schedule, tanking, luxury tax system, age requirement for the draft, or something else?

• Steve Kyler

No one is going to buy that Exum is going anywhere but the NBA… its an empty threat. He may not work out for teams and he may put on a campaign to be somewhere, but knowing Dante and what he wants. I think he’ll play the process out. If the Lakers can get in the top 5 or 6 they have a real shot at him.

Players don’t set their price, agents do… if Larry Sanders got four years and $40 million thats where the price is going to start with Vucevic. He is not a romantic guy, none of the guys in that locker room are in love, they will all handle business when its time. But pricing on free agents get set by what similar players have received. Then when you factor in the premium applied to big men, he’s going to command $10-$14 million and in restricted free agency in 2015 he might get it.

On Silver… I think people forget that he’s been running the day to day of the NBA for a few years now. Anything he’s really wanted to change he has changed, so its not like he has a list of things David Stern wouldn’t let him do and now he’s going to do them. The new TV deal is the first big thing on the agenda. I think once the Players Association hires an executive director you’ll see new things on the Player front, like the draft and HGH testing… but getting the new TV deal is item #1. That is going to define his status in sports. If he can turn the $900 million a year the NBA gets in $1.2 billion or $1.4 billion, he’ll have unlimited currency with the players and the owners. If he has to construct some zany kind of deal to get rights fees increased, then that might change things.

9. Emanuel

Why did the Pistons fire Maurice Cheeks before Joe Dumars? Will Joe be gone after this season?

• Steve Kyler

Tom Gores the Pistons owner has talked with several; players… he knew it was not working and that the guys in the locker room had no faith or confidence in Mo and he pulled the trigger.

If things don’t right themselves quickly, Joe may be next. I think Joe is out during the summer, but we’ll see how this plays out.

10. Mark

Hi, Steve,
    This loyal reader wants to know how firing Mo Cheeks really changes anything? That it is just an inconsequential, superficial, even potentially negative move? Wouldn’t replacing Joe Dumars, who put together this imbalanced roster, or changing out personnel, have been more proactive?

• Steve Kyler

The Players did not connect with him. It was not working and it became clear that the locker room was divided and unresponsive. Then you factor in open confrontations with players. Odd and bizarre substitution patterns, the Pistons, namely Tom Gores, had seen enough to know he was wasting time and money.

Its always easier to make change at head coach than to change the roster… that might come next. There is time to work through the roster too.

11. Brandon

Does the recent surge of the Magic’s second team and the really the youth on the team make the team less reluctant to make deal involving their vets?

• Steve Kyler

Unrelated. The Magic’s business will be about what they can get in return. They like whats happening, but the roster changes will be about maximizing the assets they have and there is no need to do anything because of how guys are responding.

12. Tyler

How has the transition been thus far? Has it been better than expected or is the site traffic on par or are you guys disappointed? I’m loving the new site and articles personally. Keep it up.

• Steve Kyler

Disappointed? — absolutely not, we are THRILLED! Things have gone so much better than expected, so for that we are thankful that all of the people that have supported us before have come back and found us so quickly. I would never publish numbers in a chat, but lets just say in 20 plus days we’ve exceeded some days from the other site and in the aggregate, we’re doing really, really well.

Our digital magazine will drop shortly… files are being uploaded today… the web-version will likely be available today with the App versions popping up over the next two days. That is going to be the big test of whats going to happen next. We need support around that — so make sure you buy a copy and help keep us annoying ad-free and all of our content open.

13. Evan

Who do you think the biggest name to be moved at the trade deadline will be? Is this a buyers or a sellers market?

• Steve Kyler

Funny you should ask that… because our complete guide to the 2014 NBA Trade Deadline will drop this week that covers absolutely every team, player, trade scenario and several in-depth features about how trades get made, how players deal with trades and what the Knicks think about the idea of trading Carmelo Anthony.

You should really pick up a copy… :)

14. Josh McClain

Any chance the Kings would be interested in trading for Jeremy Lin? I know they’re looking to upgrade at the point.

• Steve Kyler

I have not heard anything about JLin to the Kings. I continue to hear they like Andre Miller.

15. Joe

When is the trade deadline edition coming out? I have already purchased it and I only have your season preview.

• Steve Kyler

Files are being pushed up today… the App company says they should start showing up inside the app over the next 24-72 hours — its a trickle out effect.

If you bought the filler issue, I hope you enjoyed it, but thats not the Trade Deadline issue… that will start popping up soon. There were some design and content delays. We had to change a few things because of coaches and executives getting fired.

I locked the issue last night and will start the tech process of delivery today, so you’ll see it soon.

16. Ballislife

If the lakers pick fall outside of the top 6, do you think they should draft the player the Warriors want in exchange for harrison barnes? I think barnes upside is still greater than anyone outside of the top 7 although he haven’t played like it this season.

• Steve Kyler

I think you are assuming that the Warriors would trade Harrison Barnes.

I think there are so many interesting players possible in the top 10, that making a deal for a guy on a roster might not be the best scenario, you have to wait and see how thing fall into place. What is Marcus Smart is on the board at 10… or someone gets scared about Dante Exum or Joel Embiid.

Too early to speculate about draft day scenarios until we understand what the draft is really looking like.

17. sayitaintso

Do you agree that pau gasol and harrison barnes are the two players that need a change of scenery the most? Who else would be on your list?

• Steve Kyler

I had not thought about it… I think Evan Turner, Dion Waiters, Iman Shumpert and Gerald Wallace come to mind.

18. Joe

Do you feel that the sixers get a first round for Evan Turner?

• Steve Kyler

Not the kind of first rounder you are thinking… they might get a pick in the 20’s or something in the future thats heavily protected, but remember your asking for a pick for a guy that you either have to give $6 to $9 million to in free agency or a guy that walks away.

Hard to extract good first round picks in that scenario. You might get the 28th-30th pick, but not anything thats going to yield what Evan is today as a player.

19. Jason

Could a starting 5 of MCW, Gary Harris, Parker, Thad and Noel compete next year? Perhaps add in a couple late first round picks if Hinkie can move Hawes and Turner at the deadline. And then plenty of money for 2015 free agency to add a superstar.

• Steve Kyler

The window for young teams is usually longer than that… in three years could that core be really good, sure… a starting core of first and second year guys rarely makes noise.

20. Bryan

It’s about time that Omer Asik gets traded, and the Blazers need to improve their defense. How about this trade?

Asik to the Blazers.

Ersan Ilyasova and Joel Freeland to the Rockets.

Allen Crabbe, Meyers Leonard, and Donatas Motiejunas to the Bucks.

It works financially.

• Steve Kyler

sure…

It has not been talked about, but sure. I doubt seriously that the Blazers make a major move.

21. Travis

do you think pau gasol is getting traded? and for what?

• Steve Kyler

I am not sure why there is a sense that a guy thats been actively shopped for two years is going to all of sudden be moved in the next ten days… especially while injured.

The Lakers have THOROUGHLY explored moving Pau and unless they take the Phoenix deal of Okafor and the Pacers pick, I am not sure there is a deal there for LA. I think they have to try and move him, unless they know he’ll re-sign on a bargain deal to remain a Laker. I am just not sold there is anything the Lakers would do, because to move $19 million in salary you have to take back money and I think the Lakers simply won’t do that unless they get pieces they can say are part of the future.

22. Allison Passe

We hear about a lot of big names moving in trades, but are there any smaller, more realistic trades you see happening that aren’t getting headline attention? There always seems to be a few of those each year.

• Steve Kyler

Funny you should mention that… because our complete guide to the 2014 NBA Trade Deadline will drop this week that covers absolutely every team, player, trade scenario and several in-depth features about how trades get made, how players deal with trades and what the Knicks think about the idea of trading Carmelo Anthony.

You should really pick up a copy… :)

23. Ben M

Hey Steve,

The Wizards don’t seem to have any moveable assets on the roster, but they desperately need another ball handling guard. Will they move a piece or two at the deadline?

• Steve Kyler

I disagree… Trevor Ariza, Marcin Gortat, Jan Vesley are all movable. I just don’t think the Wizards have found anything they are willing to risk blowing up their core for. This is where they want to be and feel like staying the course will yield more than making a trade.

24. Rob

It is always said that play during the playoff is slower than during regular season. Why is that? Shouldn´t a good team that likes to run be able to stick to their favorite strategy?

Are teams just playing better defense during POs?

• Steve Kyler

Every possession is valued more… every play means something. Coaches want more control and deliberation to the game and yes defense is brought up a notch, mainly because the teams in the playoffs are better teams.

Some teams try to keep their identity, but the other side can take the air out of the transition game in the post season. Better rebounding more ball control, less turnovers.

25. Joe

Steve,

It’s no secret Ainge is looking to deal at least one of Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and Kris Humphries.

Green seems like the most likely as he is the most talented and may bring something decent.

Are Boston fans being unrealistic to expect a mid-first and/or a prospect for Green?

• Steve Kyler

Yes… I think anyone expected first round picks in any deal needs to realize the really good teams have already traded their picks. The teams with picks are bad teams and they are not going to give up whats likely to be good rookie scale players for overpriced veterans.

The teams that want those kinds of players don’t have the assets to get them. The teams with those kinds of assets don’t want those kinds of players.

Guys… I am out of time. Thanks for all the questions. Make sure you are following me on Twitter (@stevekylerNBA). See you all next week.