Quick: Over the cap. Hard-capped by the Wesley Matthews contract via the bi-annual exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Dennis Schroder, Alex Caruso, Talen Horton-Tucker, Quinn Cook
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Wesley Matthews
SF: LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma, Alfonzo McKinnie
PF: Anthony Davis, Markieff Morris, Jared Dudley, Devontae Cacok (two-way)
C: Marc Gasol, Montrezl Harrell, Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-way)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (JaVale McGee, expiring 8/8/21*) — $674,408
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Markieff Morris)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $0 (Wesley Matthews)
* Exact date TBD
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Quinn Cook $1,737,145 — 2/14/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21
Waived Players: Quinn Cook, Jordan Bell, Kevon Harris, Zavier Simpson, Tres Tinkle
Traded Players: Danny Green, JaVale McGee
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Devontae Cacok, Kostas Antetokounmpo
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Jeanie Buss
- Rob Pelinka — vice president, basketball operations and general manager
- Joey Buss — vice president, research & development
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Kurt Rambis — director of basketball affairs
- Nick Mazzella — senior director of pro personnel
- Philip Chang — senior manager of basketball analytics
- Sam Usher — manager, basketball operations
- Marshall Rader — manager, salary cap strategy
- Irving Thomas — head scout
- Bill Bertka — special assistant to the general manager/basketball consultant
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistants: Jason Kidd, Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy, Quinton Crawford, Dru Anthrop
Trainer: Judy Seto (director of sports performance), Nina Hsieh (head athletic trainer), Chattin Hill (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2021 — Owe a first-rounder (only conveys 1-7, unprotected in 2022) to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Svi Mykhailiuk, Christian Wood, KJ Martin).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Anthony Davis), may convey to the Chicago Bulls or Memphis Grizzlies.
- 2023 — The New Orleans Pelicans can swap first-rounders (Anthony Davis).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (JaVale McGee).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions life on Quinn Cook, Jared Dudley, Marc Gasol, Wesley Matthews, Markieff Morris and Montrezl Harrell.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21 — Quinn Cook’s $1,737,145 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 3/3/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Anthony Davis
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/18/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on LeBron James.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kyle Kuzma and Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 7/31/21 — Player option on Montrezl Harrell.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Kyle Kuzma’s poison pill expires.
- 8/8/21 – JaVale McGee trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 1/7/22 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2021-22 if not waived by 5:00 PM Eastern.
- 6/28/22 — Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s $14,004,703 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Kyle Kuzma’s player option.
- 6/29/24 — Anthony Davis early termination option.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Dennis Schroder’s incentives: $250,000 likely — plays in at least 65 games (pro-rated to 59.45), 50 percent of the team’s playoff games and the team advances to the NBA Finals. $250,000 likely — plays in at least 65 games (pro-rated to 59.45), 50 percent of the team’s playoff games and the team wins the title. $1 million unlikely — plays in at least 65 games (pro-rated to 59.45), the team plays in at least the first round of the playoffs and is named an All-Star. $500,000 unlikely — plays in at least 65 games (pro-rated to 59.45), the team plays in at least the first round of the playoffs and is named to the first or second All-Defensive team.
- 11/16/20 — Anthony Davis opted out of his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Jaden McDaniels (2020-28th).
- 11/19/20 — Waived Quinn Cook.
- 11/19/20 — Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope opted out of the final years of their contracts.
- 11/19/20 — JaVale McGee opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Danny Green and the rights to Jaden McDaniels (2020-28th) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Dennis Schroder.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to make a qualifying offer to Kostas Antetokounmpo.
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a partially-guaranteed three-year $39,116,585 contract, $4.9 million guaranteed in the final season.
- 11/22/20 — Signed Wesley Matthews to a $3,623,000 contract.
- 11/22/20 — Signed Montrezl Harrell to a two-year $18,978,000 contract, player option on the final season.
- 11/23/20 — Traded JaVale McGee and a 2026 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Alfonzo McKinnie and Jordan Bell.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Markieff Morris to a $2,331,593 minimum contract.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Marc Gasol to a two-year $5,257,744 minimum contract.
- 11/25/20 — Waived Jordan Bell.
- 11/26/20 — Re-signed Kostas Antetokounmpo to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed Jared Dudley to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 12/3/20 — Re-signed LeBron James to a three-year $85,655,532 extension (two additional years). James opted out of his initial 2021-22 season.
- 12/3/20 — Re-signed Anthony Davis to a five-year $189,903,6000 contract, early termination option before the final season.
- 12/4/20 — Re-signed Quinn Cook to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 12/11/20 — Signed Zavier Simpson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/12/20 — Signed Kevon Harris to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/12/20 — Signed Tres Tinkle to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/13/20 — Waived Kevon Harris, Zavier Simpson and Tres Tinkle.
- 12/20/20 — Re-signed Kyle Kuzma to a three-year $39 million extension, player option on the final season.
No-Trade: Markieff Morris (One-Year Bird), Jared Dudley (One-Year Bird)
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Anthony Davis — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Kyle Kuzma $10,640,545 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Dion Waiters ($1,620,564)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/5/21)