Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $37.2 million ($38.7 million if they get out of their 2019 first-round pick)
Roster Count: Fourteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Lonzo Ball, Lance Stephenson, Alex Caruso (two-way), Isaac Bonga, Rajon Rondo (injured)
SG: Brandon Ingram, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF: LeBron James, Josh Hart, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
PF: Kyle Kuzma, Michael Beasley
C: JaVale McGee, Tyson Chandler, Mo Wagner, Ivica Zubac, Johnathan Williams (two-way)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception: $949,000 (Michael Beasley)
Waived Players: Tyler Ennis, Thomas Bryant (claimed by Washington Wizards), Malik Newman, Luol Deng (stretched), Joel Berry II, Jeffrey Carroll, Scott Machado, Johnathan Williams, Travis Wear (two-way)
Traded Players: None
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (implicit)
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Alex Caruso, Johnathan Williams
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Head Coach: Luke Walton
Assistants: Brian Shaw (associate head coach), Jesse Mermuys, Mark Madsen, Brian Keefe, Jud Buechler (player development), Miles Simon (player development), Will Scott (video coordinator)
Trainer: Marco Nunez, Nina Hsieh (assistant athletic trainer), Jennifer Swanson (head physical therapist), Lorena Martin (director of sports performance), Gunnar Peterson (director of strength and endurance training), Josh Wright (assistant strength and conditioning coach), Kristen Andrews (manager of nutrition and wellness), Adi Vase (assistant strengthening and conditioning coach)
- Magic Johnson – president of basketball operations
- Rob Pelinka — general manager
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Joey Buss — vice president of research and development
- Ryan West — director of player personnel
- Jordan Wilkes — director of player development
- Kurt Rambis — senior basketball advisor
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas) to Sacramento Kings (Anderson Varejao, Gary Trent Jr.) or Atlanta Hawks (Richard Jefferson). Lower to Atlanta.
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $1.5 million to Philadelphia 76ers (Isaac Bonga) — $3,743,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restrictions lift on Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley, LeBron James, JaVale McGee, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Lance Stephenson.
- 1/5/19 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 1/15/19 — Last day to sign a player to a two-way contract.
- 2/6/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tyson Chandler.
- 2/7/19 — Trade deadline.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ivica Zubac.
- 7/5/19 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Brandon Ingram.
- 10/31/19 –Team options on Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Moritz Wagner and Josh Hart.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Brandon Ingram.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk.
- 6/29/20 — Isaac Bonga’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/5/20 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Moritz Wagner.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Josh Hart.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on LeBron James.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Moritz Wagner.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Moritz Wagner.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Moritz Wagner (25th) and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (47th).
- 6/27/18 — Issued qualifying offer to Julius Randle.
- 6/30/18 — Guaranteed Ivica Zubac’s $1,544,951 for 2018-19.
- 7/1/18 — Renounced the rights to Travis Wear, Andre Ingram and Gary Payton II.
- 7/1/18 — Signed Moritz Wagner (2018-25th) to a $9,881,138 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/18 — Signed Malik Newman to a one-year, two-way contract.
- 7/2/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Julius Randle.
- 7/2/18 — Renounced the rights to Julius Randle, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Brook Lopez, Isaiah Thomas and Channing Frye.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year $9 million contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a one-year $12 million contract.
- 7/6/18 — Traded a 2019 Chicago Bulls second-rounder and $1.5 million to Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Isaac Bonga (2018-39th).
- 7/6/18 — Signed Isaac Bonga (2018-39th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,080,713 contract.
- 7/10/18 — LeBron James signed a four-year, $153,212,845 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/10/18 — Signed Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (2018-47th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,568,407 contract.
- 7/10/18 — Signed Lance Stephenson to a one-year $4,449,000 contract.
- 7/10/18 — Signed JaVale McGee to a one-year $2,393,887 contract.
- 7/18/18 — Signed Joel Berry II to a non-guaranteed $838,464 summer contract.
- 7/19/18 — Signed Jeffrey Carroll to a non-guaranteed $838,464 summer contract.
- 7/21/18 — Signed Johnathan Williams to a non-guaranteed $838,464 summer contract.
- 7/23/18 — Signed Michael Beasley to a one-year $3.5 million contract.
- 7/24/18 — Signed Travis Wear to a two-way contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Scott Machado to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/16/18 — Picked up the team options on Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart.
- 10/19/18 — Signed Johnathan to a two-way contract.
- 11/6/18 — Signed Tyson Chandler to a one-year $2,109,867 minimum contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Arena: Staples Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 12/5/18)