Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to $35.9 million in cap space, none with the player options of Anthony Davis and others.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Alex Caruso, Quinn Cook
SG: Danny Green, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Troy Daniels, Talen Horton-Tucker, Zach Norvell (two-way)
SF: LeBron James, Jared Dudley, Jordan Caroline
PF: Anthony Davis, Kyle Kuzma, Devontae Cacok, Aric Holman, Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-way)
C: JaVale McGee, DeMarcus Cousins
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $0 (Avery Bradley)
- Devontae Cacok $898,310
- Aric Holman $898,310
- Jordan Caroline $898,310
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Isaac Bonga, Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Zach Norvell, Kostas Antetokounmpo
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistants: Jason Kidd, Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy, Quinton Crawford, Greg St. John (player development/advance scout), Dru Anthrop (head video coordinator/player development), Jon Pastorek (assistant video coordinator/player development)
Trainer: Nina Hsieh, Jennifer Swanson (head physical therapist), Judy Seto (director of sports performance), Gunnar Peterson (director of strength and endurance training), Josh Wright (assistant strength and conditioning coach), Kristen Andrews (manager of nutrition and wellness), Adi Vase (assistant strengthening and conditioning coach)
- Kurt Rambis — senior basketball advisor
- Rob Pelinka — general manager
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Joey Buss — vice president of research and development
- 2020 — Owe a second-rounder to the Orlando Magic (Talen Horton-Tucker).
- 2021 — Owe a first-rounder (top-eight protected, unprotected in 2022) to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons (Svi Mykhailiuk).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Anthony Davis), may convey to the Chicago Bulls or Memphis Grizzlies.
- 2023 — The New Orleans Pelicans can swap first-rounders (Anthony Davis).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis) — $4,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 9/6/19 — No-package restriction lifts on Anthony Davis.
- 10/31/19 –Team option on Kyle Kuzma.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on JaVale McGee, Jordan Caroline, Avery Bradley, Rajon Rondo, Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels, Danny Green, Quinn Cook, DeMarcus Cousins, Aric Holman, Devontae Cacok and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
- 1/10/20 — Devontae Cacok and Aric Holman’s $898,310 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Alex Caruso.
- 6/29/20 — Player options on JaVale McGee, Anthony Davis, Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
- 6/29/20 — Quinn Cook’s $3 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Devontae Cacok and Aric Holman.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Kyle Kuzma.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kyle Kuzma and Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on LeBron James.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/9/19 — Magic Johnson stepped down as president of basketball operations.
- 4/12/19 — Parted ways with coach Luke Walton.
- 5/13/19 — Hired Coach Frank Vogel.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 4th pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted De’Andre Hunter (4th).
- 6/20/19 — Traded a 2020 second-rounder and $2.2 million to the Orlando Magic for the rights to Talen Horton-Tucker (46th).
- 6/26/19 — Extended qualifying offers to Alex Caruso and Johnathan Williams.
- 7/1/19 — Sign Zach Norvell to a two-way contract.
- 7/6/19 — Revoked the qualifying offer to Johnathan Williams.
- 7/6/19 — Renounced the rights to Johnathan Williams, Tyson Chandler, Mike Muscala, Lance Stephenson, Rajon Rondo and Reggie Bullock.
- 7/6/19 — Re-signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a two-year $19,009,812 contract (incentives TBD), player option on final season.
- 7/6/19 — Re-signed JaVale McGee to a two-year $8.2 million contract, player option on final season.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Danny Green to a two-year $30 million contract.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Quinn Cook to a partially-guaranteed two-year $6 million contract.
- 7/6/19 — Signed DeMarcus Cousins to a $3.5 million contract.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, the rights to De’Andre Hunter (4th), $1 million, two future first-rounders and one first-round pick swap to the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis. The trade also includes Isaac Bonga, Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones and a 2022 second-rounder to the Washington Wizards, with Washington sending cash to the Pelicans.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Alex Caruso to a two-year $5.5 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Troy Daniels to a $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jared Dudley to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/8/19 — Signed Avery Bradley to a two-year $9,772,350 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/8/19 — Re-signed Rajon Rondo to a two-year $5,257,744 minimum contract, player option on final season.
- 7/9/19 — Signed Devontae Cacok to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/9/19 — Signed Aric Holman to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/13/19 — Signed Talen Horton-Tucker (2019-46th) to a two-year $2,416,291 minimum contract.
- 7/19/19 — Signed Jordan Caroline to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/21/19 — Claimed Kostas Antetokounmpo off waivers (Dallas Mavericks).
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (implicit), JaVale McGee (implicit), Rajon Rondo (implicit)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Arena: Staples Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)