Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary
Quick: Under the cap by $529,921.
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($103 million cap): Up to $31.5 million
- Room Exception: 2,898,000
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed
PG: D’Angelo Russell, Lou Williams, Jose Calderon, Marcelo Huertas
SG: Nick Young, Jordan Clarkson
SF: Luol Deng, Brandon Ingram, Metta World Peace
PF: Julius Randle, Thomas Robinson, Larry Nance Jr. (injured)
C: Timofey Mozgov, Tarik Black, Ivica Zubac
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Eligible for Restructuring: Jose Calderon
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Jose Calderon’s contract.
- One day before 2017 NBA Draft, no later than 6/29/17 — Player option on Nick Young.
- 7/4/17 (or three days before the end of the moratorium — the latter of the two) — Tarik Black’s $6,655,325 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 7/8/17 — Marcelo Huertas’ $1,567,500 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on D’Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram and Larry Nance Jr.
- 10/31/17 — Extension deadline on Julius Randle.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Julius Randle and Marcelo Huertas.
- 6/30/18 — Ivica Zubac’s $1.2 million guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Brandon Ingram.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines for D’Angelo Russell and Larry Nance Jr.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ivica Zubac, D’Angelo Russell and Larry Nance Jr.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Brandon Ingram.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Brandon Ingram.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/24/16 — Fired Byron Scott.
- 5/6/16 — Hired Luke Walton as head coach.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Brandon Ingram (2nd) and Ivica Zubac (32nd).
- 6/29/16 — Issued qualifying offers to Jordan Clarkson, Tarik Black and Marcelo Huertas.
- 7/7/16 — Renounced the rights to Kobe Bryant.
- 7/7/16 — Traded the rights to Ater Majok (2011-58th) to Chicago Bulls for Jose Calderon, a Denver Nuggets 2018 second-rounder and a 2019 second-rounder.
- 7/7/16 — Signed Jordan Clarkson to a four-year, $50 million contract.
- 7/7/16 — Signed Luol Deng to a four-year, $72 million contract.
- 7/7/16 — Signed Ivica Zubac (2016-32nd) to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $3.2 million contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Timofey Mozgov to a four-year, $64 million contract.
- 8/5/16 — Re-signed Marcelo Huertas to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $3,067,500 contract.
- 8/22/16 — Renounced the rights to Ryan Kelly and Metta World Peace.
- 8/22/16 — Signed Yi Jianlian to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $8 million contract ($250,000), with likely incentives based on games played. Base salary is $1,139,123. An additional $2,286,959 in bonus kicks in at 20, 40 and 59 games played.
- 8/23/16 — Signed Brandon Ingram (2016-2nd) to a $23.8 million rookie-scale contract.
- 8/24/16 — Signed Tarik Black to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $12,846,325 contract.
- 8/29/16 — Signed Zach Auguste to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $1,448,720 contract ($60,000).
- 9/1/16 — Signed Julian Jacobs to a one-year, non-guaranteed $543,471 summer contract.
- 9/1/16 — Signed Travis Wear to a one-year, non-guaranteed $874,636 summer contract.
- 9/21/16 — Signed Thomas Robinson to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,050,961 contract.
- 9/22/16 — Signed Metta World Peace to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,551,659 summer contract.
- 10/26/16 — Picked up team options on Julius Randle, D’Angelo Russell and Larry Nance Jr.
- 1/10/17 — Metta World Peace’s $1,551,659 guaranteed for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Thomas Robinson’s $1,050,961 guaranteed for 2016-17.
Waived Players: Zach Auguste, Julian Jacobs, Travis Wear, Yi Jianlian, Anthony Brown
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Metta World Peace (implicit)
Head Coach: Luke Walton (hired before 2016/17 season on estimated five-year deal, $5-6 million per season)
Assistants: Brian Shaw (associate head coach), Jesse Mermuys, Mark Madsen, Brian Keefe, Casey Owens (assistant coach and advance professional scout), Jud Buechler (player development), Theo Robertson (player development), Will Scott (video coordinator)
Trainer: Marco Nunez, Nina Hsieh (assistant athletic trainer), Tim DiFrancesco (strength and conditioning coach), Jennifer Swanson (head physical therapist), Lorena Martin (director of sports performance)
- Jim Buss — owner and vice president of player personnel
- Mitch Kupchak — general manager
- Glenn Carraro — assistant general manager
- Jesse Buss — owner and assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Ryan West — director of player personnel
- 2017 — Owe first-rounder (top-three protected, unprotected in 2018) to Philadelphia 76ers (Steve Nash, Brandon Knight).
- 2018 — Owed second-rounder from Denver Nuggets (Randy Foye, Kirk Hinrich, Jose Calderon).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Chicago Bulls (Jose Calderon).
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (unprotected) to Orlando Magic (Dwight Howard). If a first-rounder not sent to Philadelphia in 2017, pick to Orlando converts to 2017 and 2018 second-rounders.
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas), may go to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th)
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Tarik Black — 10 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Metta World Peace.
D-League Affiliate: D-Fenders (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/15/17)