California Online Sports Betting – Are Sportsbooks Legal in California Yet?
Welcome to the ultimate guide to sports betting in California. In this article, we’ll help you launch your betting career by recommending excellent offshore sportsbooks you can join without breaking any California laws.
For those looking to understand the legal situation in CA thoroughly, we provide a detailed overview of applicable laws, explain the tension between Native American tribes and other industry players, and attempt to predict what the future holds for legal sports betting in CA. Read on to find out all about the legal state of California sports betting.
The Best California Sportsbooks in 2023
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus Claim Now 125% Sign Up Bonus Up To $2,500 Claim Now 150% Match On The First Deposit Up To $150 Claim Now 50% Welcome Deposit Bonus up to $1000 Claim Now $750 Welcome Bonus (3 x $250 Bonuses) Claim Now 50% Sports Welcome Bonus Up To $1000 Claim Now 50% First Time Deposit Match Up To $1000 Claim Now 50% Welcome Deposit Bonus Up To $500 + $10 Casino Chip Claim Now 200% Bonus up to $10,000 + 50 Free Spins Claim Now 150% Deposit Bonus up to $2500 Claim Now
California Sports Betting at a Glance
Sports betting options in California are currently all via offshore as domestic sports gambling in the state is yet to be legalized. The current sports betting market in the state is outlined below.
- Legal Sports Betting: In-Person (no current options), Online/Mobile (through offshore sites only)
- Minimum Sports Betting Age in California: 18 (through offshore sites)
- Offline Betting in Person: No current options
- Online Sportsbooks: Through offshore sites only
- Live/In-Play Betting: Through offshore sites only
- College Sports Betting: Offshore sites only
- Horse racing: Inland (online and retail) and Offshore
- Estimated Sports Betting Revenue: To be determined
- Permitted Sports Betting Operators: No current options
- Licensing Fee: To be determined
- Tax Rate: To be determined
- Tax Funded: To be determined
Latest News on California Online Sports Betting Legislation
Californians voted for the Assembly and Congress in November 2022 on Proposition 26, seeking to legalize sports betting in land-based casinos and racetracks and Proposition 27 which sought to legalize statewide mobile sports betting in California.
Both Propositions were defeated, meaning sports betting still remains strictly illegal in California.
To gain some perspective, let’s look at some of the major milestones CA has reached throughout the years and the most recent events that culminated in the November 2022 poll.
- January 2023 – After the defeat for both propositions in the ballots, CA sports betting has a long way to go for legalization. Technically, the earliest time another vote can take place is in 2024.
- 9 November 2022 – California’s move to legalize sports betting in the State gets rejected by voters.
- 28 October 2022 – Governor Newsom urges people to vote against the Prop 27 bill that will soon be passed. The Prop 27 bill is structured to legalize online sports betting within the state but the Prop 26 bill is structured to legalize sports betting but only in tribal casinos.
- 13 October 2022 – The previous bill that was passed to legalize sports betting in California had fewer votes than required. But Fanduel CEO and Draftkings CEO are hopeful that the Prop 27 bill about to be passed will usher in an era to legalize online sports betting in CA.
- 5 October 2022 – According to a UC Berkeley, Institute of Governmental Studies, recent poll support for propositions 26 and 27 is low, and there is a small chance voters will approve either measure. This lack of support is at least partly due to the negative ads run by supporters of both propositions.
- 21 September 2022 – According to the AP, parties advocating for and against local ballot initiatives to formally legalize retail and online sports betting have reportedly spent over $400 million – a record in the state for the most spent on a ballot initiative.
- 6 September 2022 – The senate reviewed and passed Bill910. This bill ratifies a gaming compact to the Tenjon Indian Tribe, but it is still unclear at this junction whether or not sports betting will be allowed on the premises.
- 20 August 2022 – Nearly $360 million was raised by groups sponsored by online gambling businesses and tribal casinos on two propositions that would allow sports betting in California.
- 16 August 2022 – Democratic and Republican leaders in the California Senate and Assembly oppose Prop 27 as they fear it will benefit outside operators at the expense of tribal residents.
- 12 August 2022 – The MLB announces its support for Proposition 27, which will legalize online sports betting in California if passed.
- 10 July 2022 – The California Democratic Party will oppose Proposition 27 and abstain from the Proposition 26 ballot.
- 5 July 2022 – Three tribes now support Proposition 27.
- 27 June 2022 – A second legal sports betting option is added to the ballot after officially reclassifying the California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Solutions Act as an eligible measure for statewide ballots.
- 24 June 2022 – Over 80 groups endorse The Coalition for Safe Responsible Gaming, a measure that opposes CA sports betting.
- 16 June 2022 – Mike Carbassi, the Fresno City Councilman, says the tribal sports betting measure could lead to lawsuits against revenue-generating cardrooms backed by the state.
- 25 May 2022 – The California Teachers Association opposes the legalization of California sports betting.
- 30 March 2022 – The National Veterans Foundation, Marine Corps Veteran Association, and the Association of the United States Army groups in Northern/Southern California come out against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. This was according to a press release from the cardroom-funded Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies.
- 25 March 2022 – Cardrooms come together to back a campaign to lobby against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. The concern is that tribes would have the ability to sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games privately.
- 17 March 2022 – Three tribes go on TV to speak out against the online betting initiative backed by sportsbooks hoping to get on the November ballot.
- 2021: Office of Secretary of State Shirley Weber confirms that 1,060,000 of the signatures collected by the coalition are valid, exceeding the minimum requirement of 997,139.
- December 2020 – The coalition collects and files over 1,400,000 signatures.
- July 2020 – Indian tribes fail to collect the required number of signatures but win the right to an extension.
- November 2019 – 18 of California’s Indian tribes form a coalition to file a petition that would get California betting on the November ballot. The alliance must gather 997,139 signatures by April next year to put forth its petition.
- March 2018 – The Californians For Sports Betting group files a petition to legalize sports betting in licensed cardrooms. This petition, which clashed with Tribal interests, collected zero of the 623,211 signatures required to get the issue on the 2020 ballot.
- July 2017 – Adam Gray is back. He introduces legislation ACA 18 with the hope of amending the California constitution to allow for sports betting. This issue also flops.
- May 2016 – Democratic Assemblyman Adam Gray introduces legislation CA AB 1573. Although a total failure, the issue marked the beginning of California’s march towards legal sports betting.
The Best California Sports Betting Sites Listed 2023
We evaluated dozens of offshore sportsbooks to arrive at the following top-ranked platforms for online sports betting in California. All providers below offer a secure wagering experience and a full range of betting options, including parlays, teasers, prop bets, in-play betting, point spreads, and moneylines, to name just a few.
- BetOnline – Best overall California sports betting site
- Bovada – In-depth market coverage of many sports
- MyBookie – Unique betting options and cash rebates
- Everygame – California sportsbook with lots of value lines
- XBet – Wide variety of lines for international sports
- Lucky Block – Great live betting with 200% Bonus up to 10,000 EUR
- BetUS – Best overall promotions for California sports betting
- BetNow – Flexible banking options
- BUSR – Great support and swift withdrawals
- Jazz Sports – Deep markets & great onboarding bonus
Best California Online Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
Below we will give you an in-depth look into the best California sportsbooks as of March, 2023.
1. BetOnline – Best Overall California Sports Betting Site
A top choice for sports betting in California is BetOnline. The bookmaker is perhaps best known for its extensive range of bets on some of America’s favorite sports, including basketball, football, soccer, and baseball. BetOnline’s selection of prop bets and parlays is extensive across the board, and the site’s live betting and streaming service are unparalleled along with their dedicated racebook.
In addition to the major leagues, this bookmaker covers all other bases and features in-depth market coverage of more niche sports like rugby, martial arts, and motorsports.
Add to that the standalone racebook that broadcasts top-of-the-range odds on all the major US track meets, the site’s bountiful selection of casino games, and whether you’re backing the 49ers or spinning the roulette wheel, we’re confident that you’re sure to enjoy your trip to BetOnline.
Regarding bonuses, BetOnline doesn’t disappoint: new players are treated to $1,000 in bonus funds, while loyal patrons can take advantage of BetOnline promo codes to use multiple recurring offers, such as re-deposit bonuses, cashback, and boosted odds. The deposit methods offered hides no less than 17 cryptocurrency alternatives if you prefer not to use the credit card. You can even use cashier checks, but those are not valid for any bonuses currently.
What we like:
- Competitive welcome bonus
- An unprecedented selection of football lines
- Earn rewards for referring friends
What we don’t:
- High fees on credit card deposits
2. Bovada – In-Depth Market Coverage of Many Sports
Bovada has been operating since 2011 and has become one of the most recognizable and trusted betting brands in California. In addition to serving up lines on the most popular traditional sports like football and basketball, Bovada also has markets on many niche sports and extensive coverage of esports.
Furthermore, one of the company’s centerpieces is an advanced prop builder that simplifies creating and placing complex wagers. And, if you can’t find the bet you want to place on Bovada you can request it using their #Whatsyawaver feature. Here you can make a request for any bet, and they will do their best to accommodate you and enable you to place that bet, meaning the options are practically limitless.
What’s more, Bovada provides an integrated video streaming tool, enabling you to track matches in real-time as you place in-game wagers. Streaming is available through both the dedicated mobile app and the browser-powered version of the platform.
Using Bovada promo code opens you up to more earning opportunities in free plays, free bets, bonuses, and promotions. To top things off, Bovada is one of the few betting sites that encourage cryptocurrency deposits by offering hundreds of dollars in bonuses to players who deposit using Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash.
What we like:
- User-friendly application
- Great esports and regular sports selection
- Huge bonus for Bitcoin depositors
- Focus on US sports and bettors
What we don’t:
- Lines can be slow to appear
3. MyBookie – Unique Prop Betting Options and Cash Rebates
MyBookie requires no introductions. Formed in 2014, this Costa Rica-based sportsbook caters to bettors all around the globe, including residents of California.
The bookmaker offers a mixture of betting options on over twenty sports, many of which are US-favorites. You can use the bookie’s browser or mobile app to wager on football, basketball, baseball, darts, ice hockey, martial arts, motorsports, and much more. Leagues you can bet on include local majors like the NBA or NFL, as well as minor counterparts from across the world.
Additionally, MyBookie stands out from competitors thanks to its unmatched League of Legends market depths. At the time of this review, we counted 14 LoL leagues available for betting – over twice as many as what we found elsewhere.
This sportsbook also offers a generous welcome bonus and other MyBookie bonus codes you can take advantage of. This bookie offers a responsive mobile betting app, several recurring promotions tailored to bettors of all calibers, and convenient deposits through credit cards and top cryptocurrencies.
Sign-up with MyBookie today and experience the very best of what sports betting in California has to offer.
What we like:
- Impressive range of betting markets
- Generous introductory and recurring bonuses
- Impressive LoL and basketball coverage
- Cryptocurrency deposits
- Quick payouts
What we don’t:
- esports variety could use improvement
4. Everygame – Lots of Value Lines for Californian Players
Everygame sportsbook has been doing business since the mid-1990s. Headquartered in Antigua, the bookmaker is known for offering some of the best reduced-juice lines, allowing you to extract more value out of your wagers.
Other noteworthy features include in-depth coverage of traditional sports like tennis, soccer, basketball, football, martial arts, handball, and cricket, paired with an impressive selection of odds on all popular esports events.
Live betting has become incredibly popular in the last few years and Everygame has adapted to this trend by creating a superb live betting platform. They have a fantastic multiview feature that makes tracking the action and betting on multiple games incredibly easy.
Using the Everygame promo codes, you can get a generous matched deposit bonus when you first sign up and make your initial deposit. Existing customers can also take advantage of bonuses in free plays, free bets, and cash value.
What we like:
- Great reputation and longevity
- Solid sports and esports offering
- Great selection of NHL lines
- “Hot Bets” filter
What we don’t:
- No live streaming
5. XBet – Best Customer Experience for Online California Sports Betting
XBet’s online betting site is a no-brainer for California online gamblers. Apart from making its mark as one of the most sought-after sportsbooks in the US, XBet prides itself on offering swift services to customers and boasts one of the fastest payout times.
A top CA sports betting site for the state’s huge slate of pro teams, XBet also provides live betting options for the likes of the Rams in the NFL and the Lakers in the NBA, enabling bettors to wager in real-time alongside the excitement of the match.
You can also make use of the excellent sports blog on Xbet. It contains upto date sports news as well as picks and predictions by gambling experts so it can really help in selecting winning bets.
Overall, XBet’s sportsbook and online casino are excellent, and it offers first-rate customer support in addition to a user-friendly layout and a wide range of sports betting possibilities. There’s also a $500 deposit bonus to be claimed without the need to input an XBet promo code.
What we like:
- Live betting options for users across the US
- 24-hour customer service option
- Diverse gaming options, including casino, racebook, etc
- Fast eWallet and cryptocurrency payouts option
- Account uniformity for all online sports and casino betting needs
What we don’t:
- Strict gaming rules and policies.
6. BetUS – Best Overall Promotions for California Sports Betting
When it comes to sports betting in California, few betting sites can match the experience that BetUS brings to the gambling table. Founded in 1994 and regulated by the government of Costa Rica, BetUS is ahead of competitors when it comes to generous promotions and bonuses.
Another reason we like and recommend BetUS is its extensive selection of esports. You can bet on popular video games such as Overwatch, League of Legends, Valorant, Counter-Strike, and Dota, as well as back your favorite players in Tekken, Warcraft, and a few other titles that other online sportsbooks usually miss.
One feature of BetUS that makes it stand out against its competition is BetUS TV. Easily accessible from the sportsbook, BetUS TV contains short but detailed videos of picks and predictions from industry experts for all major sports. There is also the locker room which is packed full of news, blogs, predictions, and betting tips that can tip the odds in your favor.
BetUS also excels in the payments department. We encourage you to use BetUS promo codes to take advantage of the initiatives this bookie offers. The bookmaker processes transactions via credit cards, cryptocurrencies, bank transfers, and Matchpay, in addition to approving payouts in 48 hours or less.
What we like:
- Good welcome package & promotions
- Fast withdrawals
- Excellent esports coverage
- In-game betting, parlays, teasers
What we don’t:
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
7. BetNow – Flexible Banking Options
While BetNow is a relatively new CA sports betting site, it has managed to establish a loyal fanbase. Besides having a competitive overall gambling product, the bookie has excellent BetNow promo codes with low rollover requirements. So, whether you’re only just signing up or you’ve been wagering at the sportsbook for a while, you’ll undoubtedly find top value.
BetNow offers a top-notch gambling experience for those CA sports betting and looking to wager on the premier North American leagues: NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. If you plan to bet on niche European sports, however, you won’t likely be as impressed with this bookie as options outside of soccer are limited. This used to be a major challenge a few years ago, but BetNow is gradually widening its reach and introducing more sports from different regions.
One area where BetNow particularly shines is the selection of banking options. You can fund your account via a wide range of payment processors, including major credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Bitcoin is one of the few crypto options available. The minimum deposit amount is a reasonable $20 and bettors can deposit as much as $40,000 at a time.
What we like:
- The most user-friendly sportsbook in California
- Around-the-clock customer service
- Generous promo codes
- Flexible banking options
What we don’t:
- Limited coverage of non-US sports
8. BUSR – Great Support and Swift Withdrawals
If you’re looking for where to enjoy online sports betting in California, check out BUSR. Place bets on your favorite sports, participate in live betting, and take advantage of exclusive props and futures. Also, you can participate in more than 250 different casino games and slots, interact with real-life croupiers, and earn up to $100 in cashback each week.
Players have the option of a wide variety of sports and events, including NFL, NBA, college football, NCAA basketball, MLB and NHL hockey, PGA golf, tennis, boxing, soccer, MMA, WNBA, NASCAR basketball, and much more.
Another reason BUSR stands out against the competition is the excellent racebook on offer. The racebook can be accessed from the sportsbook in one simple click and there you will find markets on multiple racetracks from around the globe. Plus they also offer a separate welcome bonus for the racebook and an 8% daily rebate.
Introducing BUSR promo codes is a strategy this betting site uses to gain more users; they offer one of the best bonuses in town. With the diverse selection of banking options and fast payouts, it is safe to say that BUSR is a top spot for online sports betting in California.
What we like:
- 8% daily horse rebate
- No maximum deposit
- Offers live casino dealer
- Separate Racebook
What we don’t:
- Low sportsbook limits
9. Jazz Sports – Deep Markets & Great Onboarding Bonus
When it comes to sports betting, Jazz Sports has a solid selection of major sports to bet on. There are 15+ different sports available for wagering on at Jazz Sports and the market depth makes it one of the best California betting sites.
Sports fans can bet real money on football, baseball, hockey, tennis, boxing, motorsport, soccer, golf, and politics. Baseball gamblers can wager on Jazz’s extensive live betting suite or classic options like moneylines and futures. Besides its great features, Jazz is also one of the few sportsbooks that truly cares about its consumers, evident by its excellent customer service team.
With Jazz promo codes, you’ll find a number of promotions to choose from, including deposit bonuses, free bets, and referrals. Jazz is lacking in banking though, with only a few options available. The deposit minimum is high for all banking options except for Bitcoin.
Because of its competitive odds on most MLB wagers, the CA sportsbook is a favorite among sports bettors. Additionally, the sportsbook streams major sporting events live. However, to view the game, bettors must wager on it.
What we like:
- Live streams
- A wide variety of promotions
- Extensive options for futures bet
- Vast betting lines
- Fast payouts
What we don’t:
- Very few prop wagering choices
10. Sportsbetting.ag – Great Baseball Coverage
As with all our other top CA sportsbooks, Sportsbetting.ag has fantastic bonuses and promos for both new and existing customers. A 100% welcomeSportsbetting.ag promo code ushers in new sign-ups. Popular ongoing promos include risk-free bets, horse racing rebates, mobile betting free play, and free in-play bets.
Known for offering some of the best dimelines on MLB odds, Sportsbetting.ag is currently the hottest bookmaker for baseball in California. They are known for having the earliest opening MLB lines on the market. Additionally, MLB gamblers can choose from various betting options, including player futures, club futures, moneylines, and props.
Although the sportsbook does not broadcast live games, it gives timely updates on odds and scores and is a terrific in-game wagering option for MLB bettors. So for bettors residing in the Golden State, Sportsbetting.ag is a well-rounded baseball betting option. The Los Angeles Dodgers are #1 for most Californians, and fans have a variety of betting options at Sportsbetting.ag.
Not many California betting sites surpass Sportsbetting.ag in terms of the selection of supported banking methods. The sportsbook goes above and beyond, particularly with crypto. You can transact using Ethereum, Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and several other digital coins. eWallet banking options are rather limited, though.
What we like:
- Plenty of ongoing promotions
- Tons of baseball betting options
- Easy Visa and Mastercard deposits
- High deposit and withdrawal limits
What we don’t:
- Limited eWallet banking methods
Discover Our Top Betting GuidesOffshore BettingOn the lookout for the best Offshore Betting Site? We have you covered, our guide compares the best gambling sites, providing top-tier bonus codes & more.Offshore BettingCash Out BettingJoin us as we look at the best Cash Out Betting Sites in the USA, providing useful tips, in-depth explanations and bonus codes.Cash Out BettingNew SportsbooksDon't miss out on the best New Sportsbooks in the USA 2023. Our guide covers everything you need to know, the latest features, bonus codes, & so much more.New SportsbooksHigh Limit BettingOur guide covers the best High Limit sportsbooks. Favoring those with the highest deposit limits, the largest welcome bonuses, and the best limits per wage.High Limit BettingSportsbooksDiscover more about the world of Sportsbook betting sites, reviewing the top 10 sites, where sports betting is legal, different types of bets, and much more.SportsbooksBetting AppsDo you prefer betting on your mobile? Explore betting on the go with our list of top-rated betting apps, featuring comparisons, top bonus codes, and more.Betting AppseSports BettingIn this guide, we cover everything you need to know about esports betting, from where it’s legal to what games are popular, to the top eSports betting sites.eSports BettingBest Sportsbooks on RedditThe Best Sportsbooks on Reddit - See which betting sites Reddit users rated as being the best. Join Today for $1,000 Bonuses and Free Bets!Sportsbooks on Reddit
The Best California Sportsbooks Betting Sites Compared
Sportsbook Sign-Up Bonus Bonus Code Sports to bet on Live Betting Live Streaming BetOnline 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 50+ ✅ ✅ Bovada 75% 3x up to $750 N/A 50 ✅ ✅ MyBookie 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 30+ ✅ ❌ Everygame 3x $250 up to $750 INSIDERS 40+ ✅ ❌ XBet 50% up to $500 INSIDEX 30+ ✅ ❌ Lucky Block 200% Bonus up to 10,000 EUR + 50 Free Spins N/A 40+ ✅ ✅ BetUS 125% up to $2,500 INSIDERS 40+ ✅ ✅ BetNow 150% up to $150 INSIDERS 40+ ✅ ❌ BUSR 150% up to $2,500 INSIDER150 35+ ✅ ❌ Jazz Sports 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 30+ ✅ ✅
Who Can Sports Bet in California
In California, sports betting is not legal. However, you can still make bets at our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
To wager with one of these sites, you must be 18 years of age or older, located in CA, and have a way to deposit and withdraw your funds.
How to Bet on Sports in California
Below is a step-by-step guide for betting on sports in California, starting with arriving at the home page to making that first ever bet.
If you’re looking to learn how to bet on sports in Missouri, a step-by-step guide will take you through the beginning process.
1. Find the Registration Button
When you get to the home page of the online sportsbook, you’ll find the registration button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
2. Register for An Account
After clicking on the registration button, you’ll need to complete the registration process. Here, you will need to provide some personal information.
3. Go to the Promotions Page
After signing up for an account, go to the promotions page and find the new player welcome bonus. Figure out what your budget is and take advantage of it!
4. Make Your First Deposit
After signing up and finding the welcome bonus, look back toward the upper right-hand corner of the page, and here, you’ll find a link to get you to the deposit page. Once you’re here, you’ll see the available methods. Choose which one you want to use and complete the process.
5. Time to Bet
After making your first deposit, go back to the home page. There will be a menu along the left-hand side of most online sportsbooks. Decide which sport you want to wager on and locate the bet you want to make. When choosing the bet, the betslip will populate with your choice. Input the amount you wish to wager and confirm your bet.
Is Sports Betting Legal in California?
As of March, 2023, sports betting is not legal in California. Some other gambling methods are available, such as cardrooms, trial casinos, and racetracks.
If you want to bet on sports, you’ll be able to bet with ease at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
Sports Betting Guides State by StateWestSouthWestMidWestNorthEastSouthEast
When will Betting be Legal in California?
Sports betting is looking like it will be quite a fierce battle in California. Right now, there is one sports betting-related bill on the November 8, 2022 ballot that will legalize retail sports betting at tribal casinos.
As for online sports betting, there is nothing set to be on the ballot. However, seven sportsbooks started an initiative titled “California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act”, which includes provisions to send a percentage of revenue to mental health services and fight against homelessness.
The November 2022 Ballot to Legalize Sports Betting in California
Bill 26 which would have seen legalized sports betting at tribal casinos and bill 27 which would have seen online sports betting legalized both failed to pass by a huge margin with 83% of voters rejecting bill 27. The reasons for this failure seem to be in most part down to an ineffective advertising campaign and staunch opposition by most local Native American tribes.
The big defeat for legalizing sports betting in California is a setback for legal sports betting but it is by no means the end. It is likely that another bill will be put forward in the future or gambling companies may try to work with the state legislature to pass a law on a new form of gambling. However, it’s not going to be until late 2023 at the earliest that sports betting will have another chance at becoming legal in CA.
Supporters and Opponents of the 2022 Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in CA
With 40 million or more people in the state, there are fireworks for supporters and opposers of sports betting. However, there appear to be more opposers of particular types of legalization measures than sports betting itself.
Let’s outline all of the supporters and opponents for the 2022 ballot for legal sports betting in CA below.
Legalizing sports betting in CA has multiple wrinkles to it regarding support and opposition.
Here, let’s go through the supporters in a general overview.
- Traditional Sportsbooks: Introducing their CA Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act, seven sportsbooks, including Bally’s, BetMGM, DraftKings, Fanatics, FanDuel, Penn National, and Wynn, are putting down $100 million to back their initiative.
- Tribal Casinos: Up for vote on November 8, 2022, tribal casinos will look to bring sports betting to their retail outlets.
- California Residents: In a poll by UC Berkeley, one-fifth of voters were unsure, but 45% were in favor compared to 33% were against it.
The opposition to sports betting includes one of the supporters listed above. There are other sources of resistance as well, however.
- Tribal Casinos: Three of the 18 tribal casinos have said they will commit $100 million to end the “traditional” sportsbook’s initiative for mobile sports betting.
- California Residents: 33% of votes in the UC Berkeley poll were against sports betting altogether
Finally, let’s look at the more complex opponent—cardrooms. With over 80 cardrooms in the state, these facilities were against the November 8, 2022, tribal casino initiative. The reasons are multi-faceted but include fear of losing business, tribal casinos becoming a monopoly, and the thought that tribes could privately sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games.
Cardrooms also funded the Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies, including major veteran organizations against sports betting.
Lastly, cardrooms filed a lawsuit against the November 8, 2022 measure citing that these can only have one provision at a time. In contrast, the tribal casino initiative includes sports betting and other things related to table games.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in California
When it comes to sports betting getting on the November 8, 2022 ballot, initiatives proposed in the state must receive 997,139 signatures.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Identical to the 2020 measure.
- California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act – Initiative proposed by seven traditional sportsbooks offers to pay a percentage of revenues to mental health and homelessness services.
- Age-Verified Trival Online and In-Person Sports Wagering Act – Would allow in-person and online wagering and was proposed by San Manuel.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Proposed by multiple cities in California.
- The California Sports Wagering Regulation and Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act – The original summary date was January 21, 2020, but this is the tribal casino initiative that will be on the November 8, 2022 ballot after receiving the necessary near-million votes.
- SCA – 6 (2020)
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in California
The California state income tax system has multiple levels to it, including 10 different brackets, as seen below:
- Income of $0 is taxed at 1%
- Income of up to $8,809 is taxed at 2%
- Income of up to $20,883 is taxed at 4%
- Income of up to $32,960 is taxed at 6%
- Income of up to $45,753 is taxed at 8%
- Income of up to $57,824 is taxed at 9.3%
- Income of up to $295,373 is taxed at 10.3%
- Income of up to $354,445 is taxed at 11.3%
- Income of up to $590,742 is taxed at 12.3%
- Income of $1,000,000 or more is taxed at 13.3%
Read Our Sportsbook Payment GuideseCheck SportsbooksDiscover more as we reveal the best eCheck betting sites available; individually ranked, listing the pros and cons of each sportsbook.eCheckCash Out SportsbooksJoin us as we help you understand cash out betting, all whilst providing you with the best ranked and reviewed sportsbooks to use for cashouts & more.Cash OutBitcoin SportsbooksFind out the best sportsbooks and betting sites for bitcoin, and learn all about the best welcome bonuses, rebates, bitcoin terminology and much more.BitcoinCryptocurrencyWe unpack leading crypto sportsbooks & crypto betting site features, including platform reviews, deposit & withdrawal methods, welcome offers & more.Cryptocurrency
Payment Methods Available at California Betting Sites
If you want to make deposits or withdrawals, you’ll need to ensure you have viable methods available to carry out these transactions. Here are methods for crypto, eWallets, and more traditional ways.
Crypto Betting Sites
Offshore sportsbooks are massive advocates for crypto, offering numerous types of crypto to wager with and promotions catered specifically to crypto. Here are a handful of the more popular methods:
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Sites
With an eWallet, you will be able to perform transactions by either linking your bank account to them and then making the deposit or submitting the withdrawal, or using a balance you have in your eWallet account. There are three major platforms to choose from:
One of the oldest eWallets on the market. Established in 1998 and is available for most casinos as a payment method.
Close second in age, it was introduced in 1999 from Canada. It moved to Isle of Man and is now under the Paysafe Group.
Youngest but still much in the competition, it was a UK company, then known as Moneybookers. Also frequently seen in most casinos.
Traditional Payment Methods at California Betting Sites
If crypto and eWallets are not available to you, no worries; here are some more methods that you might be more familiar with that are viable to perform transactions with at offshore sportsbooks.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at California Sportsbooks
While wagering on your favorite teams is arguably the best aspect of playing at online sportsbooks, receiving bonuses and taking part in promos makes the experience much more enjoyable. These offers will offer site credits that you can use to wager and make even more money.
Here are some of the more prevalent offers you’ll find.
With a deposit bonus, you will receive a percentage match up to a certain amount of money on your first deposit. Using MyBookie as an example, you will receive a 50% deposit match up to $1,000. So, to get the total $1,000, you must deposit $2,000.
Whatever amount you choose, there is a 10x wagering requirement. This means that you must wager whatever your deposit and bonus you receive multiplied by 10 to be able to withdraw the bonus funds.
Reload bonuses are a lot like deposit bonuses. You may need to opt-in or use a promo code on the deposit page. Going back to MyBookie, there is a 25% match up to $500 with a 5x wagering requirement.
A rebate bonus is a percentage of your losses repaid to you by the sportsbook. It is usually between the range of 6% to 8% depending on the bookmaker – it varies. MyBookie and BUSR offer a 7% rebate bonus on horse race betting, for example. So, if you wager and lose $100, you can expect to receive $7 back via this kind of deal.
A risk-free bet allows you to make a wager without running the risk of totally losing that bet when you lose. With this offer, if your wager loses, you will receive it back in the form of site credit.
No Deposit Bonus
The best thing about a no deposit bonus is that you receive these bonus funds from creating an account. The amounts are not much, $10-$25, but they give a kickstart to a new online sportsbook account.
Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our ReviewsBetonline Promo CodeUnlock the latest BetOnline Promo Codes through the power of our dedicated guide. Discover everything you need to know, from promo codes to withdrawal methods!BetonlineMyBookie Promo CodeClaim some of the best and most exciting promo codes with our MyBookie Guide. We walk you through the best bonuses, all while explaining everything inbetween.MyBookieBusr Promo CodeJoin us as we explore one of our top-rated sportsbook & online casino, BUSR. Providing you with the best BUSR promotions and bonus codes, and so much more.BusrBovada Promo CodeDiscover everything you must know about the latest promo codes at Bovada, we cover everything from welcome bonuses, and opportunities to boost your wagers.BovadaBetus Promo CodeExplore the world of BetUS, with our all-inclusive review. Covering everything you need to know, and providing our readers with the best and newest promo codes.BetusXBet Promo CodesCheck out XBet Sporsbook, with our full review. Learn about the betting site, and grab all the latest bonus code, including an 100% bonus for new players.XBetEverygame Promo CodesFind out how Everygame has created one of the biggest and best promo packs in the online gambling sector. Check out our review for the latest tips & top info.Everygame
Available Sports Markets in California
California is a gigantic state, and there are an insane amount of sports teams. Here, we will go over the more popular sports to wager on in the state that are available at offshore sportsbooks.
Score with NFL Betting
The most popular ways to wager on the NFL include the moneyline, spread, and totals. However, you can also wager on props, futures, and many other things.
In general, the NFL and football betting is always the focal point of online sportsbooks so that you can bet with confidence at really any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
Here are the NFL teams based in California:
- Los Angeles Chargers – Were previously the San Diego Chargers until 2016.
- Los Angeles Rams – Won the Super Bowl in 2022.
- San Francisco 49ers – Have won five Super Bowls in their history.
Get Off The Bench With NBA Betting
California is rich with NBA history, and at offshore sportsbooks like BetOnline, you’ll be able to bet on your favorite team.
The most simple bets on NBA are moneyline, spread, and total. You find various futures like division winners, conference winners, and NBA Champions, as well as MVP,and Rookie of the year markets. Prop bets are huge in NBA with bets like will a player score a triple-double, or which team will score first.
There are currently four NBA teams in the state:
- Golden State Warriors – Won three NBA Championships in four years, including back-to-back years (2015, 2017, 2018) and most recently in 2022.
- Los Angeles Lakers – Have won 12 NBA Championships, including most recently in 2020.
- Los Angeles Clippers – The team started in Buffalo, New York.
- Sacramento Kings – Have never won an NBA title.
Kick Things Off With the Best MLB Home Run Bets
With more than 160 regular-season games, MLB is a great source for sports betting. Having been in business for over a decade, Bovada has always been a top-rated source for MLB betting in terms of odds and releasing odds for games swiftly.
In Baseball you can place moneyline bets like most sports. You can also bet run lines which are like spreads you find in NFL or NBA betting, but in baseball, you bet on how many runs a team will win or lose by. Props are also popular in MLB betting with bets like will the game go to extra innings or will a player hit a home run.
- Los Angeles Angels – Played at Wrigley Field in 1961 and won a World Series in 2002.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Won the World Series in 2020.
- Oakland Athletics – Relocated from Kansas City in 1968.
- San Diego Padres – Have never won a World Series.
- San Francisco Giants – Won three world series in five years (2010, 2012, 2014).
Don’t Slip Up, Bet on the NHL
The NHL may trail behind the MLB, NFL, and NBA when it comes to betting, but the postseason in the NHL is arguably one of the most exciting times of year to bet.
Again, the bet types are simlair to other sports like moneyline and totals. In hockey, you also have puck lines that work like spreads and you are wagering on how many goals a team will win or lose by. BetOnline offers a few more markets than some competitors when it comes to the NHL, especially in the terms of prop bets.
Right now, there are three NHL teams in California:
- Anaheim Ducks – Expansion team in 1993.
- Los Angeles Kings – Won two Stanley Cups in three years (2012, 2014).
- San Jose Sharks – Have never won a Stanley Cup since joining the league in 1991.
Bet on the NBA Stars of Tomorrow with NCAA Basketball
Few events initiate betting hype more than the March Madness tournament. During March Madness also known as the “Big Dance”. the top 68 college basketball teams battle it out over a month to be crowned champions. With games coming thick and fast and with it being a knockout-style tournament, there’s plenty of excitement and betting opportunity.
MyBookie is fantastic at staying on top of live bets for NCAA Basketball during March Madness and for games throughout the regular season and you will find all the same bet types as in the NBA.
There are a plethora of NCAA Basketball teams in California, so here are three of the more notable squads:
- UCLA Bruins – Have won 11 national championships.
- USC Trojans – Made it to the Elite Eight in 2021.
- Stanford Cardinals – Have an all-time record of 1549-1175 (.569 winning percentage).
Many Colleges to Choose From: NCAA Football Betting
While you’ll have the same ways to bet as you do in the NFL, there are more a lot more future wager opportunities with NCAA Football betting as there are 130 NCAA Division 1 teams, split into 10 conferences and player trophies like the Heisman trophy up for grabs.
Each sportsbook we ranked does an excellent job with college football, but MyBookie is quick to produce odds for the incoming slate of games.
Like basketball, there are an incredible amount of football programs in the state, so here are five popular programs:
NBAA comprehensive guide to betting on the NBA at the best betting sites in the US, featuring detailed reviews of the sportsbooks, lines, and odds.NBA BettingUFCEverything you need to know about betting on the world's most popular MMA organization, the UFC. Discover the best UFC sportsbooks and learn about the markets.UFC BettingMLBWhether it's the run line or parlay betting on the World Series, our MLB betting guide details everything you need to know about baseball betting in the US.MLB BettingNHLSkate over to the top hockey sportsbooks and claim huge bonuses when you register. Read up on puck line betting and other popular NHL betting markets.NHL BettingHorse RacingUnsure how to wager a trifecta at Preakness Stakes, or a quinella at Belmont? Our detailed horse racing betting guides will reveal all.Horse Racing BettingNFLA complete guide to betting on America's Game. Learn how NFL odds and markets work, read our reviews of the top NFL sportsbooks and prepare to beat the spread.NFL BettingNCAABFrom the NBA Draft to March Madness and everything in between, our NCAAB betting guide sets out the key components to betting on college basketball.NCAAB BettingEsportsDiscover the best esports betting sites for the world's most popular games: CS:GO, FIFA, CoD, WoW, and more. Use promo codes to claim rewards when you sign up.Esports BettingTennisOur team of betting experts presents a comprehensive overview of tennis betting markets, odds, key dates, and the best tennis sportsbooks in the USA.Tennis BettingGolfHoping to bet on The Masters, Ryder Cup, or US Open this year? Read our comprehensive golf betting guides first to increase your chances of success.Golf BettingPoliticsPlenty of sportsbooks now offer politics betting markets. Learn how to profit during the elections and claim lucrative sign-up bonuses when you register.Politics BettingBoxingLearn how to profit from the sweet science by reading our detailed boxing betting guide. Swing the odds back in your favor with reload bonuses and free bets.Boxing Betting
- UCLA Bruins – Won their first game against Stanford since 2008 during the 2021-2022 season.
- USC Trojans – Won back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.
- Stanford Cardinals – Last won a National title in 1940.
- Fresno State Bulldogs – Where Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and wide receiver Davante Adams went to college.
- California Golden Bears – Where Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers went to college.
Be a Master at Golf Betting
When it comes to betting on golf, the basic bets are betting on the outright winner, top-5, top-10, and top-20 finishes. Other popular bet types are head-to-head matchups. This works similarly to moneyline bets in other sports. With this bet type, you are betting on whether one player will finish higher than another player. Their placement in the rest of the field doesn’t matter.
There are other bet types available and the fields are large. The odds differ from one online sportsbook to the next; but MyBookie and BetUS seem to have more favorable odds, especially toward the favorites.
Gallop Your Way To Winnings with Horse Racing Betting
Horse racing wagering has been legal for many years in California. The main ways to bet with horse racing wagering are by betting to win, place, show, or with exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6 bets.
There are several notable tracks in California, and BetUS, MyBookie, and BetOnline all have odds for these tracks and races all over the globe:
- Pleasanton Fairgrounds Racetrack
- Del Mar
- Golden Gate
- Los Alamitos
- San Joaquin Fair
- Santa Anita
- Santa Rosa
Dribble to Victory with CA and International Soccer
California sports betting sites are your go-to when wagering on soccer. Whatever league or game you’re looking for is likely to be available at one of our top sportsbooks. You can wager on the MLS, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga plus many more leagues around the globe.
The most basic bets in soccer are again the moneyline, spreads, futures, and totals. Prop markets in soccer offer up some interesting opportunities, you can bet on the number of corners, whether there will be a goal before or after a certain minute, the number of cards in a game, plus many more.
California is home to some pretty good teams, including:
- LA Galaxy FC – The first MLS team to win five championships
- San Jose Earthquakes – Played in the first-ever MLS game and are two-time champions
Make Daily Lineups with Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports are legal in California. The leading two platforms to play this are DraftKings and FanDuel. With these platforms, you’ll create lineups from sports like the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, MLB, and more by using individual players assigned a dollar value.
You’ll be given a team salary cap. The game’s object is to enter a contest and build a lineup while staying under the salary cap and scoring the most points possible.NBAA comprehensive guide to betting on the NBA at the best betting sites in the US, featuring detailed reviews of the sportsbooks, lines, and odds.NBA BettingUFCEverything you need to know about betting on the world's most popular MMA organization, the UFC. Discover the best UFC sportsbooks and learn about the markets.UFC BettingMLBWhether it's the run line or parlay betting on the World Series, our MLB betting guide details everything you need to know about baseball betting in the US.MLB BettingNHLSkate over to the top hockey sportsbooks and claim huge bonuses when you register. Read up on puck line betting and other popular NHL betting markets.NHL BettingHorse RacingUnsure how to wager a trifecta at Preakness Stakes, or a quinella at Belmont? Our detailed horse racing betting guides will reveal all.Horse Racing BettingNFLA complete guide to betting on America's Game. Learn how NFL odds and markets work, read our reviews of the top NFL sportsbooks and prepare to beat the spread.NFL BettingNCAABFrom the NBA Draft to March Madness and everything in between, our NCAAB betting guide sets out the key components to betting on college basketball.NCAAB BettingEsportsDiscover the best esports betting sites for the world's most popular games: CS:GO, FIFA, CoD, WoW, and more. Use promo codes to claim rewards when you sign up.Esports BettingTennisOur team of betting experts presents a comprehensive overview of tennis betting markets, odds, key dates, and the best tennis sportsbooks in the USA.Tennis BettingGolfHoping to bet on The Masters, Ryder Cup, or US Open this year? Read our comprehensive golf betting guides first to increase your chances of success.Golf BettingPoliticsPlenty of sportsbooks now offer politics betting markets. Learn how to profit during the elections and claim lucrative sign-up bonuses when you register.Politics BettingBoxingLearn how to profit from the sweet science by reading our detailed boxing betting guide. Swing the odds back in your favor with reload bonuses and free bets.Boxing Betting
Live Betting with California Sports Betting Sites
Live Betting allows you to wager on contests that are actively in progress. The odds will shift for each team or participant in the game based on the performance happening when you check the odds. These can switch quickly, so you’ll need to act fast.
BetUS and MyBookie offer fantastic odds on live betting and are always on top of it.
Learn More About Betting With BBI GuidesMoneyline BettingDelve into the concepts behind moneyline, including its calculator, spread comparisons, which online sportsbooks offer the best moneyline promotions, and more.Moneyline BettingPoints Spread BettingJoin us as we explore top spread betting sites, provide examples and detailed explanations at every turn to help increase your success rate, and more!Points Spread BettingOver Under BettingDiscover everything you need to know about Over Under Betting, from the best sportsbooks, how you can make more informed picks, and much more.Over Under BettingFutures BettingJoin us and learn about futures betting, how it works, how best to make money from futures betting and answer questions regarding this bet type, and more.Futures BettingHandicap BettingExplore how handicap betting works, which betting sites are best for handicap betting, strategies that will allow you to win more from these bets & more.Handicap BettingHedge BettingLearn how hedge sports betting works, where you can apply a hedge bet, which sports it works best with & how you can make guaranteed profits with hedge betting.Hedge BettingLive Sports BettingDiscover the top 10 best sportsbooks with live sports betting, the legality of live sports betting, some of the best bonuses out there and so much more.Live Sports BettingParlay Betting GuideExplore our parlay betting guide & learn everything from, what a parlay bet is, the different types, the best sportsbooks for parlay betting, the risks, & more.Parlay Betting GuidePolitics BettingJoin us as we highlight the politics betting sites that you can sign up with, as well creating an in-depth guide related to all things politics betting.Politics Betting
How Does California Sports Betting Compare to its Neighbors?
With Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona bordering California, these states have legalized sports betting. Oregon has a state lottery-ran program, Nevada is home to Las Vegas, and Arizona has been progressing its online sports betting, including sportsbooks partnering with NFL teams.
More on California Gambling
On top of sports betting, there are many other ways to gamble in California, and our team has you covered with the information you may seek on casinos, horse racing, or more.
- Best online casinos in California
- Online gambling in California
- Horse racing in California
- California Sports Betting Apps
- Casino apps in California
- Online poker in California
- California Lottery
- San Diego Online Casinos
- Palm Springs Online Casinos
- Los Angeles Online Casinos
California Legislative Resources
For residents of California interested in finding out more information on current legislation to do with sports betting and gambling in the state or would like to contact local and state representatives to express their opinions or concerns on the subject they can use the links below.
California Gambling Resources
If you believe that you or someone you know has a gambling problem, then we encourage you to get in contact with the NCPG California which can be contacted by phone, chat, or text and can provide advice as well as local information and treatment services in your area.
The Best California Sportsbook Betting Site
After examining the offshore sportsbooks available in CA, BetOnline is the best online sportsbook currently offered.
There’s a 50% deposit bonus of up to $1,000 and several other promotions to claim, plus tournaments and a great selection of live streaming sports to watch. The site also boasts an intuitive user interface and the broadcast odds tend to be the best on the market. Click the link below to sign up, claim your bonus, and back your favorite CA sports teams at BetOnline today.Best California Sportsbook
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus Claim Now
Where can I place bets in California?
You can place sports wagers through an offshore sportsbook, a DFS site, at a racetrack or related satellite facility, and through an advance-deposit wagering application.
Why don’t the California gaming tribes have sports betting?
Because paragraph 337a of the California Penal code states that “pool selling or bookmaking, with or without writing, at any time or place” is prohibited and punishable by up to one year in prison and a $5,000-fine for a first-time offence. Regardless, gaming tribes have formed a coalition that aims to upend the status quo.
Is sports betting legal in California?
As of August 2021, it’s illegal for betting companies to operate out of California, but it’s NOT illegal for residents to use sportsbooks located overseas.
Why is sports betting illegal in California?
Sports betting is still illegal in California because it has not yet been signed into law because of opposition from tribal landowners. Over the years, different bills have been passed to legalize sports betting in CA, but they have not been accepted. Many bettors are hopeful that 2023 might be the year sports betting becomes legal in California.
When is California going to have sports betting?
“Legal sports betting” is a spectrum, not a yes-or-no position. Currently, there is a critical amendment under vote, with an election date set for November 8, 2022. If the initiative passes, California-based Tribal casinos will be allowed to offer on-premises sports betting services. From there, online betting could be the next step on the road toward full legalization. Unfortunately, because of numerous conflicting interests, full-blown legal sports betting, like the one in New Jersey, is probably several years away for Californians.
How old do I have to be to bet online in California?
While most retail casinos set the minimum age to either 19 or 21, California sports betting law states that you have to be 18 or older to bet.
What betting is legal in California?
Raffles, lotteries, land-based card rooms, tribal casinos, and horse race betting are all legal in California. On the other hand, offshore betting and daily fantasy sports constitute legal gray areas that attract billions of dollars from punters in California each year.
Alan is an experienced writer of online betting and casino guides. He is one of the main editors of Basketballinsiders.
- Powerade Jam Fest 2023: McDonald’s All-American Game Dunk Contest & 3-Point Shootout Participants
- LSU Women’s Basketball Coach Kim Mulkey Contract, Salary, Buyout, Net Worth & March Madness Incentives
- Portland’s head coach Chauncey Billups praised rookie SG Shaedon Sharpe for his career-high night vs the Thunder
- Is Giannis Antetokounmpo playing tonight (Mar. 27) vs. Pistons?
- LSU Women’s Basketball star Angel Reese denies being rapper NBA YoungBoy’s girlfriend