Welcome to the ultimate guide to sports betting in California. In this article, we’ll help you launch your betting career by recommending excellent offshore sportsbooks you can join without breaking any California laws.
For those looking to understand the legal situation in CA thoroughly, we provide a detailed overview of applicable laws, explain the tension between Native American tribes and other industry players, and attempt to predict what the future holds for legal sports betting in CA. Read on to find out all about the legal state of California sports betting.
- 1 The Best California Sportsbooks in 2022
- 2 Latest News on California Sports Betting Legislation
- 3 The Best California Sports Betting Sites Listed 2022
- 4 Best California Sportsbooks Reviewed
- 4.1 1. Bovada – Best overall California Sports Betting Site
- 4.2 2. BetOnline – In-Depth Market Coverage of Many Sports
- 4.3 3. Everygame – Lots of Value Lines
- 4.4 4. MyBookie – Unique Prop Betting Options and Cash Rebates
- 4.5 5. BetNow – Flexible Banking Options
- 4.6 6. BetUS – Best Promotions Overall
- 4.7 7. XBet – Best Customer Experience for Online California Gamblers
- 4.8 8. BUSR – Great Support and Swift Withdrawals
- 4.9 9. Jazz Sports – Deep Markets & Great Onboarding Bonus
- 4.10 10. Sportsbetting.ag – Great Baseball Coverage
- 5 Discover Our Top Betting Guides
- 6 The Best California Sportsbooks Betting Sites Compared
- 7 Who Can Sports Bet in California
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in California
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in California?
- 10 Sports Betting Guides State by State
- 11 When will Betting be Legal in California?
- 12 The November 2022 Ballot to Legalize Sports Betting in California
- 13 Previous Sports Betting Bills in California
- 14 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in California
- 15 Read Our Sportsbook Payment Guides
- 16 Payment Methods Available at California Betting Sites
- 17 Bonuses available at California Sportsbooks
- 18 Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our Reviews
- 19 Popular Sports to Bet on in California
- 19.1 Score with NFL Betting
- 19.2 Get Off The Bench With NBA Betting
- 19.3 Kick Things Off With the Best MLB Home Run Bets
- 19.4 Don’t Slip Up, Bet on the NHL
- 19.5 Bet on the NBA Stars of Tomorrow with NCAA Basketball
- 19.6 Many Schools to Choose From: NCAA Football Betting
- 19.7 Be a Master at Golf Betting
- 19.8 Gallop Your Way To Winnings with Horse Racing Betting
- 19.9 Dribble to Victory with CA and International Soccer
- 19.10 Make Daily Lineups with Daily Fantasy Sports
- 20 Live Betting with California Sports Betting Sites
- 21 Learn More About Betting With BBI Guides
- 22 How Does California Sports Betting Compare to its Neighbors?
- 23 More on California Gambling
- 24 The Best California Sportsbook Betting Site
- 25 Frequently Asked Questions
- 25.1 Is sports betting legal in California?
- 25.2 When is California going to have sports betting?
- 25.3 What betting is legal in California?
- 25.4 Where can I place bets in California?
- 25.5 Why don’t the California gaming tribes have sports betting?
- 25.6 How old do I have to be to bet online in California?
The Best California Sportsbooks in 2022
|75% Crypto Deposit Bonus up to $750||Get Offer|
|50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|$750 Welcome Bonus (3 x $250 Bonuses)||Get Offer|
|100% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|150% Match On The First Deposit Up To $300||Get Offer|
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 + $10 Casino Chip||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|50% Sports Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|50% First Time Deposit Match Up To $1000||Get Offer|
Latest News on California Sports Betting Legislation
Californians will not only vote for the Assembly and Congress in November 2022, but for Proposition 26, seeking to legalize sports betting in land-based casinos and racetracks and Proposition 27, which may legalize locally-regulated sports betting in California.
To gain some perspective, let’s look at some of the major milestones CA has reached throughout the years and the most recent events ahead of the November poll.
- 6 September 2022 – The senate reviewed and passed Bill910. This bill ratifies a gaming compact to the Tenjon Indian Tribe, but it is still unclear at this junction whether or not sports betting will be allowed on the premises.
- 20 August 2022 – Nearly $360 million was raised by groups sponsored by online gambling businesses and tribal casinos on two propositions that would allow sports betting in California.
- 16 August 2022 – Democratic and Republican leaders in the California Senate and Assembly oppose Prop 27 as they fear it will benefit outside operators at the expense of tribal residents.
- 12 August 2022 – The MLB announces its support for Proposition 27 that, if passed, will legalize online sports betting in California.
- 10 July 2022 – The California Democratic Party declares that it will oppose Proposition 27 and abstain from the Proposition 26 ballot.
- 5 July 2022 – Three tribes now support Proposition 27.
- 27 June 2022 – A second legal sports betting option is added to the ballot after officially reclassifying the California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Solutions Act as an eligible measure for statewide ballots.
- 24 June 2022 – Over 80 groups endorse The Coalition for Safe Responsible Gaming, a measure that opposes CA sports betting.
- 16 June 2022 – Mike Carbassi, the Fresno City Councilman, says the tribal sports betting measure could lead to lawsuits against revenue-generating cardrooms backed by the state.
- 25 May 2022 – The California Teachers Association opposes the legalization of California sports betting.
- 30 March 2022 – The National Veterans Foundation, Marine Corps Veteran Association, and the Association of the United States Army groups in Northern/Southern California come out against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. This was according to a press release from the cardroom-funded Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies.
- 25 March 2022 – Cardrooms come together to back a campaign to lobby against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. The concern is that tribes would have the ability to sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games privately.
- 17 March 2022 – Three tribes go on TV to speak out against the online betting initiative backed by sportsbooks hoping to get on the November ballot.
- 2021: Office of Secretary of State Shirley Weber confirms that 1,060,000 of the signatures collected by the coalition are valid, exceeding the minimum requirement of 997,139.
- December 2020 – The coalition collects and files over 1,400,000 signatures.
- July 2020 – Indian tribes fail to collect the required number of signatures but win the right to an extension.
- November 2019 – 18 of California’s Indian tribes form a coalition to file a petition that would get California betting on the November ballot. The alliance must gather 997,139 signatures by April next year to put forth its petition.
- March 2018 – The Californians For Sports Betting group files a petition to legalize sports betting in licensed cardrooms. This petition, which clashed with Tribal interests, collects zero of the 623,211 signatures required to get the issue on the 2020 ballot.
- July 2017 – Adam Gray is back. He introduces legislation ACA 18 with the hope of amending the California constitution to allow for sports betting. This issue also flops.
- May 2016 – Democratic Assemblyman Adam Gray introduces legislation CA AB 1573. Although a total failure, the issue marked the beginning of California’s march towards legal sports betting.
The Best California Sports Betting Sites Listed 2022
We evaluated dozens of offshore sportsbooks to arrive at the following top-ranked platforms for online sports betting in California. All providers below offer a secure wagering experience and a full range of betting options, including parlays, teasers, prop bets, in-play betting, point spreads, and moneylines, to name just a few.
- Bovada – Best overall California sports betting site
- BetOnline – In-depth market coverage of many sports
- Everygame – Lots of value lines
- MyBookie – Unique betting options and cash rebates
- BetNow – Flexible banking options
- BetUS – Best promotions overall
- XBet – Wide variety of lines for international sports
- BUSR – Great support and swift withdrawals
- Jazz Sports – Deep markets & great onboarding bonus
- Sportsbetting.ag – Great baseball coverage
Best California Sportsbooks Reviewed
Below we will give you an in-depth look into the best California sportsbooks as of September, 2022.
1. Bovada – Best overall California Sports Betting Site
Our top offshore site for sports betting in California is Bovada. Is Bovada legal in California? Yes! Bovada is probably the most recognizable betting brand in California. In addition to serving up lines on the most popular traditional sports and esports, Bovada offers an exceptional selection of parlays – possibly the best we’ve seen.
Furthermore, one of the company’s centerpieces is an advanced prop builder that simplifies creating and placing complex wagers – we’re sure you’ll love it.
What’s more, Bovada provides an integrated video streaming tool, enabling you to track matches in real-time as you place in-game wagers. Streaming is available through both the dedicated mobile app and the browser-powered version of the platform.
To top things off, Bovada is one of the few betting sites that encourage cryptocurrency deposits by offering hundreds of dollars in bonuses to players who deposit using Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash.
What we like:
- User-friendly application
- Great esports and regular sports selection
- Huge bonus for Bitcoin depositors
- Focus on US sports and bettors
What we don’t:
- Lines can be slow to appear
2. BetOnline – In-Depth Market Coverage of Many Sports
Another excellent site for sports betting in California is BetOnline. The bookmaker is perhaps best known for its extensive range of bets on some of America’s favorite sports, including basketball, football, soccer, and baseball. BetOnline’s selection of prop bets and parlays is extensive across the board, and the site’s live betting and streaming service is unparalleled.
In addition to the major leagues, this bookmaker covers all other bases and features in-depth market coverage of more niche sports like rugby, martial arts, and motorsports.
Add to that the standalone racebook that broadcasts top-of-the-range odds on all the major US track meets, the site’s bountiful selection of casino games, and whether you’re backing the 49ers or spinning the roulette wheel, we’re confident that you’re sure to enjoy your trip to BetOnline.
Regarding bonuses, BetOnline doesn’t disappoint: new players are treated to $1,000 in bonus funds, while loyal patrons can take advantage of multiple recurring offers, such as re-deposit bonuses, cashback, and boosted odds.
What we like:
- Competitive welcome bonus
- An unprecedented selection of football lines
- Earn rewards for referring friends
What we don’t:
- Lacks live-streaming feeds
- High fees on credit card deposits
3. Everygame – Lots of Value Lines
Like BetUS, Everygame sportsbook has been doing business since the mid-1990s. Headquartered in Antigua, the bookmaker is known for offering some of the best reduced-juice lines, allowing you to extract more value out of your wagers.
Other noteworthy features include in-depth coverage of traditional sports like tennis, soccer, basketball, football, martial arts, handball, and cricket, paired with an impressive selection of odds on all popular esports events.
Unfortunately, Everygame has drawbacks. For one, its application is dated – both the mobile and desktop apps could use an overhaul. The bookie also features one of the lowest welcome bonuses around, which is unexpected considering the fierce competition in the California sports betting market.
What we like:
- Great reputation and longevity
- Solid sports and esports offering
- Great selection of NHL lines
- “Hot Bets” filter
What we don’t:
- Below-average welcome bonus
- No live streaming
4. MyBookie – Unique Prop Betting Options and Cash Rebates
MyBookie requires no introductions. Formed in 2014, this Costa Rica-based sportsbook caters to bettors all around the globe, including residents of California.
The bookmaker offers a mixture of betting options on over twenty sports, many of which are US-favorites. You can use the bookie’s browser or mobile app to wager on football, basketball, baseball, darts, ice hockey, martial arts, motorsports, and much more. Leagues you can bet on include local majors like the NBA or NFL, as well as minor counterparts from across the world.
Additionally, MyBookie stands out from competitors thanks to its unmatched League of Legends market depths. At the time of this review, we counted 14 LoL leagues available for betting – over twice as many as what we found elsewhere.
MyBookie also offers a generous welcome bonus, a responsive mobile betting app, several recurring promotions tailored to bettors of all calibers, and convenient deposits through credit cards and top cryptocurrencies.
Sign-up with MyBookie today and experience the very best of what sports betting in California has to offer.
What we like:
- Impressive range of betting markets
- Generous introductory and recurring bonuses
- Impressive LoL and basketball coverage
- Cryptocurrency deposits
- Quick payouts
What we don’t:
- esports variety could use improvement
5. BetNow – Flexible Banking Options
While BetNow is a relatively new CA sports betting site, it has managed to establish a loyal fanbase. Besides having a competitive overall gambling product, the bookie has excellent BetNow promo codes with low rollover requirements. So, whether you’re only just signing up or you’ve been wagering at the sportsbook for a while, you’ll undoubtedly find top value.
BetNow offers a top-notch gambling experience for those CA sports betting and looking to wager on the premier North American leagues: NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. If you plan to bet on niche European sports, however, you won’t likely be as impressed with this bookie as options outside of soccer are limited. This used to be a major challenge a few years ago, but we’re happy BetNow is gradually widening its reach and introducing more sports from different regions.
One area where BetNow particularly shines is the selection of banking options. You can fund your account via a wide range of payment processors, including major credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Bitcoin is one of the few crypto options available. The minimum deposit amount is a reasonable $20 and bettors can deposit as much as $40,000 at a time.
What we like:
- User friendly website
- Around-the-clock customer service
- Generous promo codes
- Flexible banking options
What we don’t:
- Limited coverage of non-US sports
6. BetUS – Best Promotions Overall
When it comes to sports betting in California, few betting sites can match the raw experience that BetUS brings to the gambling table. Founded in 1994 and regulated by the government of Costa Rica, BetUS is ahead of competitors when it comes to generous promotions and bonuses. In total, new and existing players can claim up to $10,000 in bonus money – an unprecedented amount in this industry.
Another reason we like and recommend BetUS is its extensive selection of esports. You can bet on popular video games such as Overwatch, League of Legends, Valorant, Counter-Strike, and Dota, as well as back your favorite players in Tekken, Warcraft, and a few other titles that other online sportsbooks usually miss.
BetUS also excels in the payments department. The bookmaker processes transactions via credit cards, cryptocurrencies, bank transfers, and Matchpay, in addition to approving payouts in 48 hours or less.
What we like:
- Up to $10,000 in bonuses
- Fast withdrawals
- Excellent esports coverage
- In-game betting, parlays, teasers
What we don’t:
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
7. XBet – Best Customer Experience for Online California Gamblers
XBet’s online betting site is a no-brainer for California online gamblers. Apart from making its mark as one of the most sought after sportsbooks in the US, XBet prides itself in offering swift services to customers and boasts one of the fastest payout times.
XBet also provides live betting options for the likes of the Rams in the NFL and the Lakers in the NBA, enabling bettors to wager in real-time alongside the excitement of the physical event.
Overall, XBet’s sportsbook and online casino are excellent, and it offers first-rate customer support in addition to a user-friendly layout and a wide range of sports betting possibilities. There’s also a $500 deposit bonus to be claimed without the need to input an XBet promo code.
What we like:
- Live betting options for users across the US
- 24-hour customer service option
- Diverse gaming options, including casino, horse riding, etc
- Fast eWallet and cryptocurrency payouts option
- Account uniformity for all online sports and casino betting needs
What we don’t:
- Strict gaming rules and policies.
8. BUSR – Great Support and Swift Withdrawals
If you’re looking for where to enjoy online sports betting in California, check out BUSR. Place bets on your favorite sports, participate in live betting and take advantage of exclusive props and futures. Also, you can participate in more than 350 different casino games, interact with real-life croupiers, and earn up to $100 in cashback each week.
Fun fact about BUSR is that bettors can wager on horses and claim bonuses, free bets, and daily rebates.
The thrill at this sportsbook is even more impressive as players have the option of a wide variety of sports and events, including NFL, NBA, college football, NCAA basketball, MLB and NHL hockey, PGA golf, tennis, boxing, soccer, MMA, WNBA, NASCAR basketball, and much more.
With the diverse selection of banking options and fast payouts, it is safe to say that BUSR is a top spot for online sports betting in California.
What we like:
- 8% daily horse rebate
- No maximum deposit
- Offers live casino dealer
- Supports 300+ racetracks
What we don’t:
- Low sportsbook limits
9. Jazz Sports – Deep Markets & Great Onboarding Bonus
When it comes to sports betting, Jazz Sports has a solid selection of major sports to bet on. There are nine different sports available for wagering on at Jazz Sports and the market depth makes it one of the best California betting sites.
Sports fans can bet real money on football, baseball, hockey, tennis, boxing, motorsport, soccer, golf, and politics. Baseball gamblers can wager on Jazz’s extensive live betting suite or classic options like moneylines and futures. Besides its great features, Jazz is also one of the few sportsbooks that truly cares about its consumers, evident by its excellent customer service team.
With Jazz bonus codes, you’ll find a number of promotions to choose from, including deposit bonuses, free bets, and referrals. Jazz is lacking in banking though, with only a few options available. The deposit minimum is high for all banking options except for Bitcoin.
Because of its competitive odds on most MLB wagers, the CA sportsbook is a favorite among sports bettors. Additionally, the sportsbook streams major sporting events live. However, to view the game, bettors must wager on it.
What we like:
- Live streams
- A wide variety of promotions
- Extensive options for futures bet
- Vast betting lines
- Fast payouts
What we don’t:
- Very few prop wagering choices
10. Sportsbetting.ag – Great Baseball Coverage
We found the Sportsbetting.ag mobile-optimized website to be quick and responsive. It sure looks different from other California sports betting sites, with better, more natural navigation. On the rare chance you did encounter an issue, whether you’re on your desktop devices or betting on the move on your mobile, email support is a few clicks away.
As with all our other top CA sportsbooks, Sportsbetting.ag has fantastic bonuses and promos for both new and existing customers. A 100% welcome promo code ushers in new sign-ups. Popular ongoing promos include risk-free bets, horse racing rebates, mobile betting free play, and free in-play bets.
Known for offering some of the best dimelines on MLB odds, Sportsbetting.ag is currently the hottest bookmaker in California. They are known for having the earliest opening MLB lines on the market. Additionally, MLB gamblers can choose from various betting options, including player futures, club futures, moneylines, and props.
Although the sportsbook does not broadcast live games, it gives timely updates on odds and scores and is a terrific in-game wagering option for MLB bettors. So for bettors residing in the Golden State, Sportsbetting.ag is a well-rounded baseball betting option. The Los Angeles Dodgers are #1 for most Californians, with tons of wagering action on online betting sites, and fans can place moneyline, runline, and total points bets, among others at Sportsbetting.ag
Not many California betting sites surpass Sportsbetting.ag in terms of selection of supported banking methods. The sportsbook goes above and beyond, particularly with crypto. You can transact using Ethereum, Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and several other digital coins. eWallet banking options are rather limited, though.
What we like:
- Plenty of ongoing promotions
- Tons of baseball betting options
- Easy Visa and Mastercard deposits
- High deposit and withdrawal limits
What we don’t:
- Limited eWallet banking methods
Discover Our Top Betting Guides
The Best California Sportsbooks Betting Sites Compared
|Sportsbook||Sign-Up Bonus||Bonus Code||Sports to bet on||Live Betting||Live Streaming|
|Bovada||75% 3x up to $750||N/A||50||✅||✅|
|BetOnline||50% up to $1,000||INSIDERS||50+||✅||✅|
|Everygame||3x $250 up to $750||INSIDERS||40+||✅||❌|
|MyBookie||50% up to $1,000||INSIDERS||30+||✅||❌|
|BetNow||150% up to $300||INSIDERS||40+||✅||❌|
|BetUS||100% up to $2,500||INSIDERS||40+||✅||✅|
|XBet||50% up to $500||N/A||30+||✅||❌|
|BUSR||100% up to $1, 000||INSIDERS||35+||✅||❌|
|Jazz||50% up to $1,000||INSIDERS||30+||✅||✅|
|Sportsbetting.ag||50% up to $1, 000||INSIDERS||30+||✅||✅|
Who Can Sports Bet in California
In California, sports betting is not legal. However, you can still make bets at our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
To wager with one of these sites, you must be 18 years of age or older, located in CA, and have a way to deposit and withdraw your funds.
How to Bet on Sports in California
Below is a step-by-step guide for betting on sports in California, starting with arriving at the home page to making that first ever bet.
If you’re looking to learn how to bet on sports in Missouri, a step-by-step guide will take you through the beginning process.
1. Find the Registration Button
When you get to the home page of the online sportsbook, you’ll find the registration button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
2. Register for An Account
After clicking on the registration button, you’ll need to complete the registration process. Here, you will need to provide some personal information.
3. Go to the Promotions Page
After signing up for an account, go to the promotions page and find the new player welcome bonus. Figure out what your budget is and take advantage of it!
4. Make Your First Deposit
After signing up and finding the welcome bonus, look back toward the upper right-hand corner of the page, and here, you’ll find a link to get you to the deposit page. Once you’re here, you’ll see the available methods. Choose which one you want to use and complete the process.
5. Time to Bet
After making your first deposit, go back to the home page. There will be a menu along the left-hand side of most online sportsbooks. Decide which sport you want to wager on and locate the bet you want to make. When choosing the bet, the betslip will populate with your choice. Input the amount you wish to wager and confirm your bet.
Is Sports Betting Legal in California?
As of April 2022, sports betting is not legal in California. Some other gambling methods are available, such as cardrooms, trial casinos, and racetracks.
If you want to bet on sports, you’ll be able to bet with ease at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
Sports Betting Guides State by State
When will Betting be Legal in California?
Sports betting is looking like it will be quite a fierce battle in California. Right now, there is one sports betting-related bill on the November 8, 2022 ballot that will legalize retail sports betting at tribal casinos.
As for online sports betting, there is nothing set to be on the ballot. However, seven sportsbooks started an initiative titled “California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act”, which includes provisions to send a percentage of revenue to mental health services and fight against homelessness.
The November 2022 Ballot to Legalize Sports Betting in California
Come November 8, 2022, if the initiative for retail sports betting at tribal casinos is voted in favor, retail sports betting will officially be legalized there.
Supporters and Opponents of the 2022 Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in CA
With 40 million or more people in the state, there are fireworks for supporters and opposers of sports betting. However, there appear to be more opposers of particular types of legalization measures than sports betting itself.
Of course, there are opposers, but as we near November 8, 2022, it looks like there are multiple facets to this.
Let’s outline all of it below.
Legalizing sports betting in CA has multiple wrinkles to it regarding support and opposition.
Here, let’s go through the supporters in a general overview.
- Traditional Sportsbooks: Introducing their CA Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act, seven sportsbooks, including Bally’s, BetMGM, DraftKings, Fanatics, FanDuel, Penn National, and Wynn, are putting down $100 million to back their initiative.
- Tribal Casinos: Up for vote on November 8, 2022, tribal casinos will look to bring sports betting to their retail outlets.
- California Residents: In a poll by UC Berkeley, one-fifth of voters were unsure, but 45% were in favor compared to 33% were against it.
The opposition to sports betting includes one of the supporters listed above. There are other sources of resistance as well, however.
- Tribal Casinos: Three of the 18 tribal casinos have said they will commit $100 million to end the “traditional” sportsbook’s initiative for mobile sports betting.
- California Residents: 33% of votes in the UC Berkeley poll were against sports betting altogether
Finally, let’s look at the more complex opponent—cardrooms. With over 80 cardrooms in the state, these facilities are against the November 8, 2022, tribal casino initiative. The reasons are multi-faceted but include fear of losing business, tribal casinos becoming a monopoly, and the thought that tribes could privately sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games.
Cardrooms also funded the Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies, including major veteran organizations against sports betting.
Lastly, cardrooms filed a lawsuit against the November 8, 2022 measure citing that these can only have one provision at a time. In contrast, the tribal casino initiative includes sports betting and other things related to table games.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in California
When it comes to sports betting getting on the November 8, 2022 ballot, initiatives proposed in the state must receive 997,139 signatures.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Identical to the 2020 measure.
- California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act – Initiative proposed by seven traditional sportsbooks offers to pay a percentage of revenues to mental health and homelessness services.
- Age-Verified Trival Online and In-Person Sports Wagering Act – Would allow in-person and online wagering and was proposed by San Manuel.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Proposed by multiple cities in California.
- The California Sports Wagering Regulation and Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act – The original summary date was January 21, 2020, but this is the tribal casino initiative that will be on the November 8, 2022 ballot after receiving the necessary near-million votes.
- SCA – 6 (2020)
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in California
The California state income tax system has multiple levels to it, including 10 different brackets, as seen below:
- Income of $0 is taxed at 1%
- Income of up to $8,809 is taxed at 2%
- Income of up to $20,883 is taxed at 4%
- Income of up to $32,960 is taxed at 6%
- Income of up to $45,753 is taxed at 8%
- Income of up to $57,824 is taxed at 9.3%
- Income of up to $295,373 is taxed at 10.3%
- Income of up to $354,445 is taxed at 11.3%
- Income of up to $590,742 is taxed at 12.3%
- Income of $1,000,000 or more is taxed at 13.3%
Read Our Sportsbook Payment Guides
Payment Methods Available at California Betting Sites
If you want to make deposits or withdrawals, you’ll need to ensure you have viable methods available to carry out these transactions. Here are methods for crypto, eWallets, and more traditional ways.
Crypto Betting Sites
Offshore sportsbooks are massive advocates for crypto, offering numerous types of crypto to wager with and promotions catered specifically to crypto. Here are a handful of the more popular methods:
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Sites
With an eWallet, you will be able to perform transactions by either linking your bank account to them and then making the deposit or submitting the withdrawal, or using a balance you have in your eWallet account. There are three major platforms to choose from:
Traditional Payment Methods at California Betting Sites
If crypto and eWallets are not available to you, no worries; here are some more methods that you might be more familiar with that are viable to perform transactions with at offshore sportsbooks.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses available at California Sportsbooks
While wagering on your favorite teams is arguably the best aspect of playing at online sportsbooks, receiving bonuses and taking part in promos makes the experience much more enjoyable. These offers will offer site credits that you can use to wager and make even more money.
Here are some of the more prevalent offers you’ll find.
With a deposit bonus, you will receive a percentage match up to a certain amount of money on your first deposit. Using MyBookie as an example, you will receive a 50% deposit match up to $1,000. So, to get the total $1,000, you must deposit $2,000.
Whatever amount you choose, there is a 10x wagering requirement. This means that you must wager whatever your deposit and bonus you receive multiplied by 10 to be able to withdraw the bonus funds.
Reload bonuses are a lot like deposit bonuses. You may need to opt-in or use a promo code on the deposit page. Going back to MyBookie, there is a 25% match up to $500 with a 5x wagering requirement.
A rebate bonus is a percentage of your losses repaid to you by the sportsbook. It is usually between the range of 6% to 8% depending on the bookmaker – it varies. MyBookie and BUSR offer a 7% rebate bonus on horse race betting, for example. So, if you wager and lose $100, you can expect to receive $7 back via this kind of deal.
A risk-free bet allows you to make a wager without running the risk of totally losing that bet when you lose. With this offer, if your wager loses, you will receive it back in the form of site credit.
No Deposit Bonus
The best thing about a no deposit bonus is that you receive these bonus funds from creating an account. The amounts are not much, $10-$25, but they give a kickstart to a new online sportsbook account.
Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our Reviews
Popular Sports to Bet on in California
California is a gigantic state, and there are an insane amount of sports teams. Here, we will go over the more popular sports to wager on in the state that are available at offshore sportsbooks.
Score with NFL Betting
The most popular ways to wager on the NFL include the moneyline, spread, and totals. However, you can also wager on props, futures, and many other things.
In general, the NFL and football betting is always the focal point of online sportsbooks so that you can bet with confidence at really any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
Here are the NFL teams based in California:
- Los Angeles Chargers – Were previously the San Diego Chargers until 2016.
- Los Angeles Rams – Won the Super Bowl in 2022.
- San Francisco 49ers – Have won five Super Bowls in their history.
Get Off The Bench With NBA Betting
California is rich with NBA history, and at offshore sportsbooks like BetOnline, you’ll be able to bet on your favorite teams using the same bet types as the NFL.
There are currently four NBA teams in the state:
- Golden State Warriors – Won three NBA Championships in four years, including back-to-back years (2015, 2017, 2018).
- Los Angeles Lakers – Have won 12 NBA Championships, including most recently in 2020.
- Los Angeles Clippers – The team started in Buffalo, New York.
- Sacramento Kings – Have never won an NBA title.
Kick Things Off With the Best MLB Home Run Bets
With more than 160 regular-season games, MLB is a great source for sports betting. Having been in business for over a decade, Bovada has always been a top-rated source for MLB betting in terms of odds and releasing odds for games swiftly.
There are five MLB teams in California, and you will have, more or less, the same bet types available as the NBA and NFL.
- Los Angeles Angels – Played at Wrigley Field in 1961 and won a World Series in 2002.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Won the World Series in 2020.
- Oakland Athletics – Relocated from Kansas City in 1968.
- San Diego Padres – Have never won a World Series.
- San Francisco Giants – Won three world series in five years (2010, 2012, 2014).
Don’t Slip Up, Bet on the NHL
The NHL may trail behind the MLB, NFL, and NBA when it comes to betting, but the postseason in the NHL is arguably one of the most exciting times of year to bet.
Again, the bet types are the same as those sports, too, and BetOnline offers a few more markets than some competitors when it comes to the NHL.
Right now, there are three NHL teams in California:
- Anaheim Ducks – Expansion team in 1993.
- Los Angeles Kings – Won two Stanley Cups in three years (2012, 2014).
- San Jose Sharks – Have never won a Stanley Cup since joining the league in 1991.
Bet on the NBA Stars of Tomorrow with NCAA Basketball
With the same bet types as the NBA, few events initiate betting hype more than the March Madness tournament.
Throughout the year, MyBookie is fantastic at staying on top of live bets for NCAA Basketball, as well as odds for some even lesser competition games.
There are a plethora of NCAA Basketball teams in California, so here are three of the more notable squads:
- UCLA Bruins – Have won 11 national championships.
- USC Trojans – Made it to the Elite Eight in 2021.
- Stanford Cardinal – Have an all-time record of 1549-1175 (.569 winning percentage).
Many Schools to Choose From: NCAA Football Betting
While you’ll have the same ways to bet as you do in the NFL, there are more future wagers opportunities with NCAA Football betting when considering the different award opportunities.
Each sportsbook we ranked does an excellent job with college football, but MyBookie is quick to produce odds for the incoming slate of games.
Like basketball, there are an incredible amount of football programs in the state, so here are five popular programs:
- UCLA Bruins – Won their first game against Stanford since 2008 during the 2021-2022 season.
- USC Trojans – Won back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.
- Stanford Cardinal – Last won a National title in 1940.
- Fresno State Bulldogs – Where Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and wide receiver Davante Adams went to college.
- California Golden Bears – Where Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers went to college.
Be a Master at Golf Betting
When it comes to betting on golf, you’ll be betting on an outright winner, top-5, top-10, and top-20 finishes. The fields are large and the odds differ from one online sportsbook to the next; bet MyBookie and BetUS seem to have more favorable odds, especially toward the favorites.
Gallop Your Way To Winnings with Horse Racing Betting
Horse racing wagering has been legal for many years in California. The main ways to bet with horse racing wagering are by betting to win, place, show, or with exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6 bets.
There are several notable tracks in California, and BetUS, MyBookie, and BetOnline all have odds for these tracks and races all over the globe:
- Pleasanton Fairgrounds Racetrack
- Del Mar
- Golden Gate
- Los Alamitos
- San Joaquin Fair
- Santa Anita
- Santa Rosa
Dribble to Victory with CA and International Soccer
California sports betting sites are your go-to when wagering on soccer. Whatever league or game you’re looking for is likely to be available at one of our top sportsbooks.
Bettors will also find plenty of soccer-related promotions. The US soccer scene isn’t as vibrant as you’ll find in Europe, where you can wager on the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and more leagues. Nevertheless, California is home to some pretty good teams, including:
- Anaheim FC
- Strikers FC
- LA Galaxy FC
Make Daily Lineups with Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports are legal in California. The leading two platforms to play this are DraftKings and FanDuel. With these platforms, you’ll create lineups from sports like the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, MLB, and more by using individual players assigned a dollar value.
You’ll be given a team salary cap. The game’s object is to enter a contest and build a lineup while staying under the salary cap and scoring the most points possible.
Live Betting with California Sports Betting Sites
Live Betting allows you to wager on contests that are actively in progress. The odds will shift for each team or participant in the game based on the performance happening when you check the odds. These can switch quickly, so you’ll need to act fast.
BetUS and MyBookie offer fantastic odds on live betting and are always on top of it.
Learn More About Betting With BBI Guides
How Does California Sports Betting Compare to its Neighbors?
With Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona bordering California, these states have legalized sports betting. Oregon has a state lottery-ran program, Nevada is home to Las Vegas, and Arizona has been progressing its online sports betting, including sportsbooks partnering with NFL teams.
More on California Gambling
On top of sports betting, there are many other ways to gamble in California, and our team has you covered with the information you may seek on casinos, horse racing, or more.
- Best online casinos in California
- Online gambling in California
- Horse racing in California
- Casino apps in California
- Online poker in California
The Best California Sportsbook Betting Site
After examining the offshore sportsbooks available in CA, BetOnline is the best online sportsbook currently offered.
There’s a 50% deposit bonus of up to $1,000 and several other promotions to claim, plus tournaments and a great selection of live streaming sports to watch. The site also boasts an intuitive user interface and the broadcast odds tend to be the best on the market. Click the link below to sign up, claim your bonus, and back your favorite CA sports teams at BetOnline today.
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus
Frequently Asked Questions
Is sports betting legal in California?
As of August 2021, it’s illegal for betting companies to operate out of California, but it’s NOT illegal for residents to use sportsbooks located overseas.
When is California going to have sports betting?
“Legal sports betting” is a spectrum, not a yes-or-no position. Currently, there is a critical amendment under vote, with an election date set for November 8, 2022. If the initiative passes, California-based Tribal casinos will be allowed to offer on-premises sports betting services. From there, online betting could be the next step on the road toward full legalization. Unfortunately, because of numerous conflicting interests, full-blown legal sports betting, like the one in New Jersey, is probably several years away for Californians.
What betting is legal in California?
Raffles, lotteries, land-based card rooms, tribal casinos, and horse race betting are all legal in California. On the other hand, offshore betting and daily fantasy sports constitute legal gray areas that attract billions of dollars from punters in California each year.
Where can I place bets in California?
You can place sports wagers through an offshore sportsbook, a DFS site, at a racetrack or related satellite facility, and through an advance-deposit wagering application.
Why don’t the California gaming tribes have sports betting?
Because of paragraph 337a of the California Penal code, which states that “pool selling or bookmaking, with or without writing, at any time or place” is prohibited and punishable by up to one year in prison and a $5,000-fine for a first-time offense. Regardless, gaming tribes have formed a coalition that aims to upend the status quo.
How old do I have to be to bet online in California?
While most retail casinos set the minimum age to either 19 or 21, California sports betting law states that you have to be 18 or older to bet.
- Pelicans coach Willie Green: “Zion Williamson looked amazing”
- Lakers expected to pursue Irving, Grant, Turner, and Wiggins in 2023
- Jamal Crawford is frontrunner to replace Dwyane Wade on NBA on TNT
- LeBron James excludes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar from Lakers list
- Cavaliers interested in trading for Suns’ Jae Crowder