Welcome to the ultimate guide to sports betting in California. In this article, we’ll help you launch your betting career by recommending excellent offshore sportsbooks you can join without breaking any California laws.
For those looking to understand the legal situation in CA thoroughly, we provide a detailed overview of applicable laws, explain the tension between Native American tribes and other industry players, and attempt to predict what the future holds for legal sports betting in California. Read on to find out all about the legal state of California sports betting.
Timeline: Legal California Sports Betting Movements
The process for legalizing sports betting is at a bit of a standstill until November 2022. With that said, let’s look back at how we got to this point and what will happen in November 2022.
- 2022 (November 8th): New California sports betting 2022 proposal – Voters will decide whether to legalize sports betting in Indian casinos. This decision will mark a turning point in the history of California’s regulated betting industry.
- March 30, 2022 – The National Veterans Foundation, Marine Corps Veteran Association, and the Association of the United States Army groups in Northern/Southern California come out against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. This was according to a press release from the cardroom-funded Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies.
- March 25, 2022 – Cardrooms come together to back a campaign to lobby against the tribal retail sports betting proposal. The concern is that tribes would have the ability to sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games privately.
- March 17, 2022 – Three tribes go on TV to speak out against the online betting initiative backed by sportsbooks hoping to get on the November ballot.
- 2021: Office of Secretary of State Shirley Weber confirms that 1,060,000 of the signatures collected by the coalition are valid, exceeding the minimum requirement of 997,139.
- 2020 (December): The coalition collects and files over 1,400,000 signatures.
- 2020 (July): Indian tribes fail to collect the required number of signatures but win the right to an extension.
- 2019: 18 of California’s Indian tribes form a coalition to file a petition that would get California betting on the November ballot. The alliance must gather 997,139 signatures by April next year to put forth its petition.
- 2018 : The Californians For Sports Betting group files a petition to legalize sports betting in licensed cardrooms. This petition, which clashed with Tribal interests, collects zero of the 623,211 signatures required to get the issue on the 2020 ballot.
- 2017: Adam Gray is back. He introduces legislation ACA 18 with the hope of amending the California constitution to allow for sports betting. This issue also flops.
- 2016: Democratic Assemblyman Adam Gray introduces legislation CA AB 1573. Although a total failure, the issue marked the beginning of California’s march towards legal sports betting.
The Best California Sportsbooks
Best Sports Betting Sites California
The Best California Sports Betting Sites Listed 2022
We evaluated dozens of offshore sportsbooks to arrive at the following top-ranked platforms for online sports betting in California. All providers below offer a secure wagering experience and a full range of betting options, including parlays, teasers, prop bets, in-play betting, point spreads, and moneylines, to name just a few.
- MyBookie – Best overall California sports betting site
- Bovada – Great bonus for Bitcoin depositors
- BetUS – Best promotions overall
- EveryGame – Lots of value lines
- Sportsbetting.ag – Great eSports coverage
- BetOnline – Very high deposit limits
- GTBets – Deep markets & great onboarding bonus
- BetNow – Excellent tool for building prop bets
- XBet – Wide variety of lines for international sports
- BUSR – Great support and swift withdrawals
Best California Sportsbooks Reviewed
Below we will give you an in-depth look into the best California sportsbooks as of May, 2022.
1. MyBookie – Top overall California sports betting site
MyBookie requires no introductions. Formed in 2014, this Costa Rica-based sportsbook caters to bettors all around the globe, including residents of California.
The bookmaker offers a mixture of betting options on over twenty sports, many of which are US-favorites. You can use the bookie’s browser or mobile app to wager on football, basketball, baseball, darts, ice hockey, martial arts, motorsports, and much more. Leagues you can bet on include local majors like the NBA or NFL, as well as minor counterparts from across the world.
Additionally, MyBookie stands out from competitors thanks to its unmatched League of Legends market depths. At the time of this review, we counted 14 LoL leagues available for betting – over twice as many as what we found elsewhere.
MyBookie also offers a generous welcome bonus, a responsive mobile betting app, several recurring promotions tailored to bettors of all calibers, and convenient deposits through credit cards and top cryptocurrencies.
Sign-up with MyBookie today and experience the top that sports betting in California has to offer.
- Impressive range of betting markets
- Generous introductory and recurring bonuses
- Impressive LoL and basketball coverage
- Cryptocurrency deposits
- Quick payouts
- eSports variety could use improvement
2. Bovada – One of top California Online Betting Sites with Bonus for Bitcoin Depositors
Is Bovada legal in California? Yes! Bovada is probably the most recognizable betting brand in California. In addition to serving up lines on the most popular traditional sports and eSports, Bovada offers an exceptional selection of parlays – possibly the best we’ve seen.
Furthermore, one of the company’s centerpieces is an advanced prop builder that simplifies creating and placing complex wagers – we’re sure you’ll love it.
What’s more, Bovada provides an integrated video streaming tool, enabling you to track matches in real-time as you place in-game wagers. Streaming is available through both the dedicated mobile app and the browser-powered version of the platform.
To top things off, Bovada is one of the few betting site that encourage cryptocurrency deposits by offering hundreds of dollars in bonuses to players who deposit using Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash.
- User-friendly application
- Great eSports and regular sports selection
- Huge bonus for Bitcoin depositors
- Focus on US sports and bettors
- Lines can be slow to appear
3. BetUS – Best Promotions Overall
When it comes to sports betting in California, few betting sites can match the raw experience that BetUS brings to the gambling table. Founded in 1994 and regulated by the government of Costa Rica, BetUS is ahead of competitors when it comes to generous promotions and bonuses. In total, new and existing players can claim up to $10,000 in bonus money – an unprecedented amount in this industry.
Another reason we like and recommend BetUS is its extensive selection of eSports. You can bet on popular video games such as Overwatch, League of Legends, Valorant, Counter-Strike, and Dota, as well as back your favorite players in Tekken, Warcraft, and a few other titles that other online sportsbooks usually miss.
BetUS also excels in the payments department. The bookmaker processes transactions via credit cards, cryptocurrencies, bank transfers, and Matchpay, in addition to approving payouts in 48 hours or less.
- Up to $10,000 in bonuses
- Fast withdrawals
- Excellent eSports coverage
- In-game betting, parlays, teasers
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
4. EveryGame – Lots of value lines
Like BetUS, EveryGame sportsbook has been doing business since the mid-1990s. Headquartered in Antigua, the bookmaker is known for offering some of the best reduced-juice lines, allowing you to extract more value out of your wagers.
Other noteworthy features include in-depth coverage of traditional sports like tennis, soccer, basketball, football, martial arts, handball, and cricket, paired with an impressive selection of odds on all popular eSports events.
Unfortunately, EveryGame has drawbacks. For one, its application is dated – both the mobile and desktop apps could use an overhaul. The bookie also features one of the lowest welcome bonuses around, which is unexpected considering the fierce competition in the California sports betting market.
- Great reputation and longevity
- Solid sports and eSports offering
- Great selection of NHL lines
- “Hot Bets” filter
- Below-average welcome bonus
- No live streaming
5. Sportsbetting.ag – Great eSports coverage
Another top offshore site for sports betting in California is Sportsbetting.ag, founded in 1999 and later bought by BetOnline group.
The bookmaker is perhaps best known for its extensive range of soccer selections, covering virtually every upcoming match in the world. This bewildering variety is also reflected in Sportsbetting.ag’s choice of soccer prop bets and parlays, leaving competitors in the dust.
In addition to soccer, the bookmaker covers all of its other bases: rugby, martial arts, basketball, major US and international sports leagues – all disciplines are well represented.
Regarding bonuses, Sportsbetting.ag doesn’t disappoint: new players are treated to $1,000 in bonus funds, while loyal patrons can take advantage of multiple recurring offers, such as re-deposit bonuses, cashback, and boosted odds.
- Competitive welcome bonus
- An unprecedented selection of football lines
- Earn rewards for referring friends
- Lacks live-streaming feeds
- High fees on credit card deposits
More on gambling in California…
Learn about all types of online gambling in California our expert guides below:
- California Real Money Online Casinos
- California Online Poker
- California Online Gambling
- California Betting Apps
- California Horse Racing
The Best California Sportsbooks Betting Sites Compared
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment methods|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000||MYBY50||Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|Bovada||75% Bitcoin deposit match up to $750||BTCSWB750||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $1,250||SIGNUP100||Basketball, baseball, ice hockey, football, motorsports, and more||No||Credit card, bank wire, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, and Litecoin|
|EveryGame||50% deposit match up to $200||ROOKIE50||NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Sportsbetting.ag||50% deposit match up to $1,000||BOL1000||Basketball, baseball, football, golf, soccer, tennis, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
Who Can Sports Bet in California
In California, sports betting is not legal. However, you can still make bets at our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
To wager with one of these sites, you must be 18 years of age or older, located in California, and have a way to deposit and withdraw your funds.
How to Bet on Sports in California
Below is a step-by-step guide for betting on sports in California, starting with arriving at the home page to making that first ever bet.
If you’re looking to learn how to bet on sports in Missouri, a step-by-step guide will take you through the beginning process.
1. Find the Registration Button
When you get to the home page of the online sportsbook, you’ll find the registration button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
2. Register for An Account
After clicking on the registration button, you’ll need to complete the registration process. Here, you will need to provide some personal information.
3. Go to the Promotions Page
After signing up for an account, go to the promotions page and find the new player welcome bonus. Figure out what your budget is and take advantage of it!
4. Make Your First Deposit
After signing up and finding the welcome bonus, look back toward the upper right-hand corner of the page, and here, you’ll find a link to get you to the deposit page. Once you’re here, you’ll see the available methods. Choose which one you want to use and complete the process.
5. Time to Bet
After making your first deposit, go back to the home page. There will be a menu along the left-hand side of most online sportsbooks. Decide which sport you want to wager on and locate the bet you want to make. When choosing the bet, the betslip will populate with your choice. Input the amount you wish to wager and confirm your bet.
Is Sports Betting Legal in California?
As of April 2022, sports betting is not legal in California. Some other gambling methods are available, such as cardrooms, trial casinos, and racetracks.
If you want to bet on sports, you’ll be able to bet with ease at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
When will Betting be Legal in California?
Sports betting is looking like it will be quite a fierce battle in California. Right now, there is one sports betting-related bill on the November 8, 2022 ballot that will legalize retail sports betting at tribal casinos.
As for online sports betting, there is nothing set to be on the ballot. However, seven sportsbooks started an initiative titled “California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act”, which includes provisions to send a percentage of revenue to mental health services and fight against homelessness.
The November 2022 Ballot to Legalize Sports Betting in California
Come November 8, 2022, if the initiative for retail sports betting at tribal casinos is voted in favor, retail sports betting will officially be legalized there.
Supporters and Opponents of the 2022 Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in California
With 40 million or more people in the state, there are fireworks for supporters and opposers of sports betting. However, there appear to be more opposers of particular types of legalization measures than sports betting itself.
Of course, there are opposers, but as we near November 8, 2022, it looks like there are multiple facets to this.
Let’s outline all of it below.
Legalizing sports betting in California has multiple wrinkles to it regarding support and opposition.
Here, let’s go through the supporters in a general overview.
- Traditional Sportsbooks: Introducing their California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act, seven sportsbooks, including Bally’s, BetMGM, DraftKings, Fanatics, FanDuel, Penn National, and Wynn, are putting down $100 million to back their initiative.
- Tribal Casinos: Up for vote on November 8, 2022, tribal casinos will look to bring sports betting to their retail outlets.
- California Residents: In a poll by UC Berkeley, one-fifth of voters were unsure, but 45% were in favor compared to 33% were against it.
The opposition to sports betting includes one of the supporters listed above. There are other sources of resistance as well, however.
- Tribal Casinos: Three of the 18 tribal casinos have said they will commit $100 million to end the “traditional” sportsbook’s initiative for mobile sports betting.
- California Residents: 33% of votes in the UC Berkeley poll were against sports betting altogether
Finally, let’s look at the more complex opponent—cardrooms. With over 80 cardrooms in the state, these facilities are against the November 8, 2022, tribal casino initiative. The reasons are multi-faceted but include fear of losing business, tribal casinos becoming a monopoly, and the thought that tribes could privately sue cardrooms for offering certain types of games.
Cardrooms also funded the Taxpayers Against Special Interest Monopolies, including major veteran organizations against sports betting.
Lastly, cardrooms filed a lawsuit against the November 8, 2022 measure citing that these can only have one provision at a time. In contrast, the tribal casino initiative includes sports betting and other things related to table games.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in California
When it comes to sports betting getting on the November 8, 2022 ballot, initiatives proposed in the state must receive 997,139 signatures.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Identical to the 2020 measure.
- California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act – Initiative proposed by seven traditional sportsbooks offers to pay a percentage of revenues to mental health and homelessness services.
- Age-Verified Trival Online and In-Person Sports Wagering Act – Would allow in-person and online wagering and was proposed by San Manuel.
- California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act – Proposed by multiple cities in California.
- The California Sports Wagering Regulation and Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act – The original summary date was January 21, 2020, but this is the tribal casino initiative that will be on the November 8, 2022 ballot after receiving the necessary near-million votes.
- SCA – 6 (2020)
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in California
The California state income tax system has multiple levels to it, including 10 different brackets, as seen below:
- Income of $0 is taxed at 1%
- Income of up to $8,809 is taxed at 2%
- Income of up to $20,883 is taxed at 4%
- Income of up to $32,960 is taxed at 6%
- Income of up to $45,753 is taxed at 8%
- Income of up to $57,824 is taxed at 9.3%
- Income of up to $295,373 is taxed at 10.3%
- Income of up to $354,445 is taxed at 11.3%
- Income of up to $590,742 is taxed at 12.3%
- Income of $1,000,000 or more is taxed at 13.3%
Payment Methods Available at California Betting Sites
If you want to make deposits or withdrawals, you’ll need to ensure you have viable methods available to carry out these transactions. Here are methods for crypto, eWallets, and more traditional ways.
Crypto Betting Sites
Offshore sportsbooks are massive advocates for crypto, offering numerous types of crypto to wager with and promotions catered specifically to crypto. Here are a handful of the more popular methods:
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Sites
With an eWallet, you will be able to perform transactions by either linking your bank account to them and then making the deposit or submitting the withdrawal, or using a balance you have in your eWallet account. There are three major platforms to choose from:
Traditional Payment Methods at California Betting Sites
If crypto and eWallets are not available to you, no worries; here are some more methods that you might be more familiar with that are viable to perform transactions with at offshore sportsbooks.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses available at California Sportsbooks
While wagering on your favorite teams is arguably the best aspect of playing at online sportsbooks, receiving bonuses and taking part in promos makes the experience much more enjoyable. These offers will offer site credits that you can use to wager and make even more money.
Here are some of the more prevalent offers you’ll find.
With a deposit bonus, you will receive a percentage match up to a certain amount of money on your first deposit. Using MyBookie as an example, you will receive a 50% deposit match up to $1,000. So, to get the total $1,000, you must deposit $2,000.
Whatever amount you choose, there is a 10x wagering requirement. This means that you must wager whatever your deposit and bonus you receive multiplied by 10 to be able to withdraw the bonus funds.
Reload bonuses are a lot like deposit bonuses. You may need to opt-in or use a promo code on the deposit page. Going back to MyBookie, there is a 25% match up to $500 with a 5x wagering requirement.
A risk-free bet allows you to make a wager without running the risk of totally losing that bet when you lose. With this offer, if your wager loses, you will receive it back in the form of site credit.
No Deposit Bonus
The best thing about a no deposit bonus is that you receive these bonus funds from creating an account. The amounts are not much, $10-$25, but they give a kickstart to a new online sportsbook account.
Popular Sports to Bet on in California
California is a gigantic state, and there are an insane amount of sports teams. Here, we will go over the more popular sports to wager on in the state that are available at offshore sportsbooks.
Score with NFL Betting
The most popular ways to wager on the NFL include the moneyline, spread, and totals. However, you can also wager on props, futures, and many other things.
In general, the NFL and football betting is always the focal point of online sportsbooks so that you can bet with confidence at really any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks.
Here are the NFL teams based in California:
- Los Angeles Chargers – Were previously the San Diego Chargers until 2016.
- Los Angeles Rams – Won the Super Bowl in 2022.
- San Francisco 49ers – Have won five Super Bowls in their history.
Get Off The Bench With NBA Betting
California is rich with NBA history, and at offshore sportsbooks like BetOnline, you’ll be able to bet on your favorite teams using the same bet types as the NFL.
There are currently four NBA teams in the state:
- Golden State Warriors – Won three NBA Championships in four years, including back-to-back years (2015, 2017, 2018).
- Los Angeles Lakers – Have won 12 NBA Championships, including most recently in 2020.
- Los Angeles Clippers – The team started in Buffalo, New York.
- Sacramento Kings – Have never won an NBA title.
MLB Betting is Grand Slam
With more than 160 regular-season games, MLB is a great source for sports betting. Having been in business for over a decade, Bovada has always been a top-rated source for MLB betting in terms of odds and releasing odds for games swiftly.
There are five MLB teams in California, and you will have, more or less, the same bet types available as the NBA and NFL.
- Los Angeles Angels – Played at Wrigley Field in 1961 and won a World Series in 2002.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Won the World Series in 2020.
- Oakland Athletics – Relocated from Kansas City in 1968.
- San Diego Padres – Have never won a World Series.
- San Francisco Giants – Won three world series in five years (2010, 2012, 2014).
Don’t Slip Up, Bet on the NHL
The NHL may trail behind the MLB, NFL, and NBA when it comes to betting, but the postseason in the NHL is arguably one of the most exciting times of year to bet.
Again, the bet types are the same as those sports, too, and BetOnline offers a few more markets than some competitors when it comes to the NHL.
Right now, there are three NHL teams in California:
- Anaheim Ducks – Expansion team in 1993.
- Los Angeles Kings – Won two Stanley Cups in three years (2012, 2014).
- San Jose Sharks – Have never won a Stanley Cup since joining the league in 1991.
Bet on the NBA Stars of Tomorrow with NCAA Basketball
With the same bet types as the NBA, few events initiate betting hype more than the March Madness tournament.
Throughout the year, MyBookie is fantastic at staying on top of live bets for NCAA Basketball, as well as odds for some even lesser competition games.
There are a plethora of NCAA Basketball teams in California, so here are three of the more notable squads:
- UCLA Bruins – Have won 11 national championships.
- USC Trojans – Made it to the Elite Eight in 2021.
- Stanford Cardinal – Have an all-time record of 1549-1175 (.569 winning percentage).
Many Schools to Choose From: NCAA Football Betting
While you’ll have the same ways to bet as you do in the NFL, there are more future wagers opportunities with NCAA Football betting when considering the different award opportunities.
Each sportsbook we ranked does an excellent job with college football, but MyBookie is quick to produce odds for the incoming slate of games.
Like basketball, there are an incredible amount of football programs in the state, so here are five popular programs:
- UCLA Bruins – Won their first game against Stanford since 2008 during the 2021-2022 season.
- USC Trojans – Won back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.
- Stanford Cardinal – Last won a National title in 1940.
- Fresno State Bulldogs – Where Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and wide receiver Davante Adams went to college.
- California Golden Bears – Where Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers went to college.
Be a Master at Golf Betting
When it comes to betting on golf, you’ll be betting on an outright winner, top-5, top-10, and top-20 finishes. The fields are large and the odds differ from one online sportsbook to the next; bet MyBookie and BetUS seem to have more favorable odds, especially toward the favorites.
Gallop Your Way To Winnings with Horse Racing Betting
Horse racing wagering has been legal for many years in California. The main ways to bet with horse racing wagering are by betting to win, place, show, or with exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6 bets.
There are several notable tracks in California, and BetUS, MyBookie, and BetOnline all have odds for these tracks and races all over the globe:
- Pleasanton Fairgrounds Racetrack
- Del Mar
- Golden Gate
- Los Alamitos
- San Joaquin Fair
- Santa Anita
- Santa Rosa
Make Daily Lineups with Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports are legal in California. The leading two platforms to play this are DraftKings and FanDuel. With these platforms, you’ll create lineups from sports like the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, MLB, and more by using individual players assigned a dollar value.
You’ll be given a team salary cap. The game’s object is to enter a contest and build a lineup while staying under the salary cap and scoring the most points possible.
Live Betting with California Sports Betting Sites
Live Betting allows you to wager on contests that are actively in progress. The odds will shift for each team or participant in the game based on the performance happening when you check the odds. These can switch quickly, so you’ll need to act fast.
BetUS and MyBookie offer fantastic odds on live betting and are always on top of it.
How Does California Sports Betting Compare to its Neighbors?
With Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona bordering California, these states have legalized sports betting. Oregon has a state lottery-ran program, Nevada is home to Las Vegas, and Arizona has been progressing its online sports betting, including sportsbooks partnering with NFL teams.
More on California Gambling
On top of sports betting, there are many other ways to gamble in California, and our team has you covered with the information you may seek on casinos, horse racing, or more.
- Best online casinos in California
- Online gambling in California
- Horse racing in California
- Casino apps in California
- Online poker in California
The Best California Sportsbook Betting Site
After examining the offshore sportsbooks available in California, MyBookie is the best online sportsbook currently offered.
With a 50% deposit bonus up to $1,000 and several other promotions, these are just a few reasons why MyBookie, which has an intuitive user interface and great odds amongst the competition, is the best California sportsbook on the market right now.
MyBookie Promo Code
Frequently Asked Questions
Is sports betting legal in California?
When is California going to have sports betting?
What betting is legal in California?
Where can I place bets in California?
Why don’t the California gaming tribes have sports betting?
- How to Watch NBA Playoffs Conference Finals for Free on YouTube?
- NBA Player Props Bets | NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals Game 2
- NBA Rumors: Phil Jackson wants Lakers to trade LeBron James
- Kyrie Irving says Cavaliers ‘would’ve won more championships’ if he was more mature
- How to Watch NBA Playoffs and Stream NBA Conference Finals for Free?