New York Knicks Team Salary
Quick: Spent over the cap
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): Up to $22.2 million
- Room Exception: $0 (Mindaugas Kuzminskas)
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one partially-guaranteed
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Ron Baker ($543,471 — $75,000 guaranteed)
PG: Derrick Rose, Brandon Jennings, Sasha Vujacic
SG: Courtney Lee, Justin Holiday, Ron Baker
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Lance Thomas
PF: Kristaps Porzingis, Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Maurice Ndour
C: Joakim Noah, Kyle O’Quinn, Guillermo Hernangomez, Marshall Plumlee
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 12/15/16 — No trade restrictions lift on Maurice Ndour, Marshall Plumlee, Ron Baker, Courtney Lee, Sasha Vujacic, Joakim Noah, Brandon Jennings and Mindaugas Kuzminskas.
- 1/10/17 — Ron Baker’s $543,471 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/15/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Lance Thomas.
- 2/28/17 — Deadline to restructure Derrick Rose’s contract.
- 6/30/17 — Maurice Ndour’s $905,249 guarantees for 2017/18.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ron Baker.
- 6/30/17 — Marshall Plumlee’s salary guarantees at $100,000 for 2017-18.
- 10/20/17 — Marshall Plumlee’s $905,249 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 10/31/17 — Team options on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/23/18 — Early Termination option (player) for Carmelo Anthony.
- Earlier of three days prior to NBA draft or seven days after team’s final game, before 6/29/18 — Player option on Kyle O’Quinn.
- 6/30/18 — Marshall Plumlee’s $1,050,262 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadline on Maurice Ndour.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadlines on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Marshall Plumlee and Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/30/19 — Lance Thomas’ 2019/20 salary guarantees for $1,000,000.
- 1/10/20 — Lance Thomas’ $7,583,975 guarantees for 2019-20.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/2/16 — Hired Coach Jeff Hornacek.
- 6/22/16 — Traded Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant to Chicago Bulls for Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second-rounder.
- 6/30/16 — Issued a qualifying offer to Langston Galloway.
- 7/4/16 — Rescinded qualifying offer to Langston Galloway.
- 7/7/16 — Renounced the rights to Derrick Williams, Arron Afflalo, Lou Amundson, Kevin Seraphin, Cleanthony Early and Langston Galloway.
- 7/7/16 — Signed Guillermo Hernangomez (2015-35th) to a four-year, partially-guaranteed $5.9 million contract.
- 7/7/16 — Signed Joakim Noah to a four-year, $72.6 million contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Marshall Plumlee to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $2.5 million contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Mindaugas Kuzminskas to a two-year, $5,923,035 contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Brandon Jennings to a one-year, $5 million contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Courtney Lee to a four-year, $48 million contract.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Lance Thomas to a four-year, partially-guaranteed $27.5 million contract.
- 7/12/16 — Signed Maurice Ndour to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $1.4 million contract.
- 7/14/16 — Re-signed Sasha Vujacic to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.
- 7/26/16 — Signed Amar’e Stoudemire to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,551,659 contract.
- 7/28/16 — Signed Ron Baker to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $543,471 contract.
- 8/1/16 — Signed J.P. Tokoto to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $543,471 contract.
- 8/1/16 — Signed Chasson Randle to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $543,471 contract.
- 9/19/16 — Signed Lou Amundson to a one-year, $1,551,659 contract.
- 10/11/16 — Signed Damien Ingles to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 10/18/16 — Signed Cleanthony Early to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 10/18/16 — Picked up Kristaps Porzingis’ third-year option.
Waived Players: Tony Wroten, Amar’e Stoudemire, J.P. Tokoto, Chasson Randle, Lou Amundson, Damien Ingles, Cleanthony Early
Traded Players: Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: Carmelo Anthony, Sasha Vujacic (implicit)
Head Coach: Jeff Hornacek (three-year contract starting with 2016-17 season)
Assistants (TBD): Jim Cleamons, Brian Keefe, Rasheed Hazzard, Joshua Longstaff (player development)
Trainer: Roger Hinds, Anthony Goenaga (assistant)
- Phil Jackson- president
- Steve Mills — executive vice president and general manager
- Allan Houston — assistant general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Mark Warkentien — director, player personnel
- Glen Grunwald — basketball advisor
- John Gabriel — director, basketball operations
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Houston Rockets (Pablo Prigioni).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Chicago Bulls (Derrick Rose).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Utah Jazz (Andrea Bargnani, Steve Novak), may go to Philadelphia 76ers (Tibor Pleiss).
- 2018 — Philadelphia 76ers have right to swap the Los Angeles Clippers’ second-rounder with the Knicks second-rounder (Byron Mullens, Travis Outlaw).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Dion Waiters).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Houston Rockets (Pablo Prigioni).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Travis Outlaw).
- 2019 — Orlando Magic have right to swap second-rounders (Kyle O’Quinn), receiving the better of the Houston Rockets and Cleveland Cavaliers picks.
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th)
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Carmelo Anthony — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Chauncey Billups.
D-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 10/21/16)