Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($102 million cap): Up to $26.7 million
- Room Exception: $0 (Ron Baker)
- Jarrett Jack $2,328,652
- Chasson Randle $1,312,611
- Nigel Hayes $815,615 ($50,000 guaranteed)
- Jamel Artis $815,615
- Xavier Rathan-Mayes $815,615
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, five non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Ramon Sessions, Frank Ntilikina, Chasson Randle, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Jarrett Jack
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr., Courtney Lee, Ron Baker, Damyean Dotson
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Lance Thomas, Nigel Hayes, Jamel Artis
PF: Kristaps Porzingis, Michael Beasley, Mindaugas Kuzminskas
C: Joakim Noah, Guillermo Hernangomez, Kyle O’Quinn
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks
Two-Way Contracts: Luke Kornet (one-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
No-Trade: Carmelo Anthony, Ron Baker (implicit)
- Carmelo Anthony — 15 percent
- Tim Hardaway Jr. — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Head Coach: Jeff Hornacek (three-year contract starting with 2016-17 season)
Assistants (TBD): Jim Cleamons, Brian Keefe, Rasheed Hazzard, Joshua Longstaff (player development)
Trainer: Roger Hinds, Anthony Goenaga (assistant)
- Steve Mills — executive vice president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- Gerald Madkins assistant general manager
- Allan Houston — assistant general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Michael Acieri — director, basketball strategy
- Harold Ellis — director, player personnel
- Craig Robinson — vice president, player development and G-League operations.
- Glen Grunwald — basketball advisor
- John Gabriel — director, basketball operations
- 2018 — Philadelphia 76ers have right to swap the Los Angeles Clippers’ second-rounder with the Knicks second-rounder (Byron Mullens, Travis Outlaw).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Dion Waiters).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Houston Rockets (Pablo Prigioni).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Travis Outlaw).
- 2019 — Orlando Magic have right to swap second-rounders (Kyle O’Quinn), receiving the better of the Houston Rockets and Cleveland Cavaliers picks.
- 2019 — Owe the most favorable of Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers or Orlando Magic second-rounders to Sacramento Kings (Scott Perry).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $400,000 to Sacramento Kings (Scott Perry)
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- 9/26/17 — Chasson Randle’s salary guarantees at $50,000 for 2017-18.
- First game of the season — Chasson Randle’s salary guarantees at $250,000 for 2017-18.
- 12/15/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Jamel Artis, Nigel Hayes, Michael Beasley, Ramon Sessions, Jarrett Jack, Ron Baker and Tim Hardaway Jr.
- 1/10/18 — Jarrett Jack’s $2,328,652 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Chasson Randle’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes’ $815,615 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 6/23/18 — Early Termination option for Carmelo Anthony.
- Earlier of three days prior to NBA draft or seven days after team’s final game, before 6/29/18 — Player option on Kyle O’Quinn.
- 6/29/18 — Player option for Ron Baker.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- First day of 2018 season — Extension deadlines on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Frank Ntilikina.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Ron Baker and Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/30/19 — Lance Thomas’ 2019/20 salary guarantees for $1,000,000.
- 7/15/19 — Damyean Dotson’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Frank Ntilikina.
- 1/10/20 — Lance Thomas’ $7,583,975 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/20 — Tim Hardaway’s player option.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on Damyean Dotson.
- First day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Frank Ntilikina.
- 6/29/2021 — Qualifying offer on Frank Ntilikina.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/28/17 — Parted ways with president Phil Jackson.
- 6/28/17 — Issued Ron Baker a qualifying offer.
- 6/30/17 — Marshall Plumlee’s salary guaranteed at $100,000 for 2017-18.
- 7/3/17 — Signed Luke Kornet to a one-year, two-way contract.
- 7/5/17 — Signed Frank Ntilikina 2017-8th) to a $18,689,218 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/17 — Rescinded the qualifying offer to Ron Baker.
- 7/6/17 — Renounced the rights to Sasha Vujacic, Justin Holiday, Derrick Rose and Ron Baker.
- 7/6/17 — Signed Tim Hardaway Jr. to four-year, $70,950,000 offer sheet (unmatched by Atlanta Hawks).
- 7/14/17 — Agreed to send a 2019 second-rounder and $400,000 to Sacramento Kings to hire Scott Perry. Teams cannot make any trades through 2017-18 season.
- 8/7/17 — Signed Damyean Dotson (2017-44th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year, $4,096,762 contract.
- 8/7/17 — Signed Ron Baker to a two-year, $8,872,400 contract, player option on second season.
- 8/8/17 — Signed Ramon Sessions to a one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 8/8/17 — Signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 8/9/17 — Picked up team options on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 8/18/17 — Signed Nigel Hayes to a partially-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 contract
- 8/18/17 — Signed Jamel Artis to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 8/18/17 — Signed Xavier Rathan-Mayes to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 9/15/17 — Signed Jarrett Jack to a non-guaranteed one-year, $2,328,652 summer contract.
Waived Players: Maurice Ndour, Marshall Plumlee
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: Madison Square Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/18/17)