Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): Up to $27.8 million
- Trade Exception (Carmelo Anthony, expiring 9/25/18) — $2,381,964
- Room Exception: $0 (Ron Baker)
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Jarrett Jack, Frank Ntilikina, Trey Burke
SG: Courtney Lee, Damyean Dotson, Ron Baker
SF: Lance Thomas, Doug McDermott, Tim Hardaway Jr. (injured)
PF: Kristaps Porzingis, Michael Beasley
C: Enes Kanter, Kyle O’Quinn, Guillermo Hernangomez, Joakim Noah
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks
Two-Way Contracts: Luke Kornet (one-year), Isaiah Hicks (one-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
No-Trade: Ron Baker (implicit)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Head Coach: Jeff Hornacek (three-year contract starting with 2016-17 season)
Assistants: Kurt Rambis (associate head coach), Howard Eisley, Corey Gaines, Jerry Sichting
Trainer: Roger Hinds, Anthony Goenaga (assistant)
- Steve Mills — executive vice president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- Gerald Madkins — assistant general manager
- Allan Houston — assistant general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Michael Acieri — director, basketball strategy
- Harold Ellis — director, player personnel
- Craig Robinson — vice president, player development and G-League operations.
- Glen Grunwald — basketball advisor
- John Gabriel — director, basketball operations
- 2018 — Owed second-rounder from Chicago Bulls (Taj Gibson, Carmelo Anthony).
- 2018 — Philadelphia 76ers have right to swap the Los Angeles Clippers’ second-rounder with the Knicks second-rounder (Byron Mullens, Travis Outlaw).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Dion Waiters).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Houston Rockets (Pablo Prigioni).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Travis Outlaw, Jahlil Okafor).
- 2019 — Orlando Magic have right to swap second-rounders (Kyle O’Quinn), receiving the better of the Houston Rockets and Cleveland Cavaliers picks.
- 2019 — Owe the most favorable of Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers or Orlando Magic second-rounders to Sacramento Kings (Scott Perry).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $400,000 to Sacramento Kings (Scott Perry)
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- Earlier of three days prior to NBA draft or seven days after team’s final game, before 6/29/18 — Player option on Kyle O’Quinn.
- 6/29/18 — Player option for Ron Baker.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for Doug McDermott.
- 6/29/18 — Player option on Enes Kanter.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 9/25/18 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception expires.
- First day of 2018 season — Extension deadlines on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Frank Ntilikina.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Ron Baker and Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/30/19 — Lance Thomas’ 2019/20 salary guarantees for $1,000,000.
- 7/15/19 — Damyean Dotson’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Frank Ntilikina.
- 1/10/20 — Lance Thomas’ $7,583,975 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/20 — Tim Hardaway’s player option.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on Damyean Dotson.
- First day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Frank Ntilikina.
- 6/29/2021 — Qualifying offer on Frank Ntilikina.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/28/17 — Parted ways with president Phil Jackson.
- 6/28/17 — Issued Ron Baker a qualifying offer.
- 6/30/17 — Marshall Plumlee’s salary guaranteed at $100,000 for 2017-18.
- 7/3/17 — Signed Luke Kornet to a one-year, two-way contract.
- 7/5/17 — Signed Frank Ntilikina 2017-8th) to a $18,689,218 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/17 — Rescinded the qualifying offer to Ron Baker.
- 7/6/17 — Renounced the rights to Sasha Vujacic, Justin Holiday, Derrick Rose and Ron Baker.
- 7/6/17 — Signed Tim Hardaway Jr. to four-year, $70,950,000 offer sheet (unmatched by Atlanta Hawks).
- 7/14/17 — Agreed to send a 2019 second-rounder and $400,000 to Sacramento Kings to hire Scott Perry. Teams cannot make any trades through 2017-18 season.
- 8/7/17 — Signed Damyean Dotson (2017-44th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year, $4,096,762 contract.
- 8/7/17 — Signed Ron Baker to a two-year, $8,872,400 contract, player option on second season.
- 8/8/17 — Signed Ramon Sessions to a one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 8/8/17 — Signed Michael Beasley to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 8/9/17 — Picked up team options on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 8/18/17 — Signed Nigel Hayes to a partially-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 contract
- 8/18/17 — Signed Jamel Artis to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 8/18/17 — Signed Xavier Rathan-Mayes to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 9/15/17 — Signed Jarrett Jack to a non-guaranteed one-year, $2,328,652 summer contract.
- 9/25/17 — Traded Carmelo Anthony to Oklahoma City Thunder for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a 2018 Chicago Bulls second-rounder.
- 10/10/17 — Signed Trey Burke to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,577,230 summer contract with exhibit nine.
- 10/20/17 — Signed Isaiah Hicks to a one-year, two-way contract.
- 1/10/18 — Jarrett Jack’s $2,328,652 guaranteed for 2017-18.
- 1/14/18 — Signed Trey Burke to a two-year partially-guaranteed, $2,579,175 contract.
Waived Players: Maurice Ndour, Marshall Plumlee, Chasson Randle, Jamel Artis, Nigel Hayes, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Trey Burke, Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Ramon Sessions
Traded Players: Carmelo Anthony
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th)
Arena: Madison Square Garden
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/15/18)