Welcome to our NY sports betting guide, where we help you find the best safe offshore sportsbooks open to New York residents. We also explore the current NY gambling landscape, point out what’s legal and what’s not, and attempt to predict the future of the state’s regulatory framework and supporting infrastructure.
The Best NY Sports Betting Sites List 2022
We verified that each of the following NY sports betting offshore sites is licensed and monitored by a reputable gaming authority. Furthermore, each bookmaker below offers a full suite of wagering options, including moneylines, three-way bets, spreads, in-play wagers, parlays, props, and totals.
- BetOnline – Top NBA selection
- MyBookie – Best overall for New York residents
- BetUS – Largest NY sports betting bonus
- Bovada – Best NY sports betting mobile app
- XBet – International competitions specialist
- Sportsbetting.ag – Best range of odds on soccer
- BUSR – Great customer support
- BetNow – Great parlay constructor
Best NY Sportsbooks Reviewed
1. BetOnline – Top NBA Selection
When it comes to NBA betting, few sites can match BetOnline’s breadth of options. Whether you enjoy future bets, NBA draft bets, college basketball action, lighthearted prop bets, or complex parlays, you’ll find it all at BetOnline and then some.
In addition to basketball, BetOnline publishes lines on all the sports disciplines you’ll find at other NY sports betting sites, including football, tennis, rugby, baseball, soccer, darts, bowling, and everything in between.
Combine the above with an attractive introductory promotion and a dedicated mobile-optimized NJ Casino app, and you’ll quickly see why this bookmaker made our list of the top five NY sports betting sites.
- Excellent eSports coverage
- Impressive range of NBA betting options
- Check deposits
- Recurring promotions
- Slightly dated website
3. MyBookie – Best overall for New York residents
MyBookie emerged as the leading New York sports betting site.
The bookmaker covers all its bases, offering lines on football, basketball, darts, baseball, martial arts, ice hockey, motorsports, Formula 1 races, and over ten other disciplines. Whether you prefer betting the moneyline, the spread, or constructing complicated parlays, MyBookie offers early options at a great value.
Another thing we love about this bookmaker is its huge League of Legends market variety, with coverage spanning minor tournaments from the Balkan region to Riot’s most prominent competitions and qualifiers.
MyBookie also does an excellent job in the bonuses and transactions department. New players are treated to a $500 welcome bonus and can fund their bankroll using several reliable payment options, including cryptocurrencies and credit cards.
When it comes to NY online sports betting, MyBookie is our top recommendation.
- Over a thousand betting options
- Lucrative welcome bonuses
- Best basketball sports betting in NY
- Covers all popular sports
- Prompt withdrawals
- eSports variety is a bit lacking
2. BetUS – Largest New York Sports Betting Bonus
BetUS is among the most experienced licensed sportsbooks that accept wagers from New York residents, having been in the business since the mid-1990s. This longevity is a massive seal of approval that guarantees fair treatment, fund security, and timely withdrawals.
The bookmaker’s main attraction is the unmatched welcome promotion, which offers new players up to $10,000 in sports betting bonuses, spread out across several installments.
Of course, BetUS features a wide selection of lines on soccer, football, basketball, tennis, and over a dozen additional sports. It also boasts a portfolio of betting options on League of Legends, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Overwatch, and Tekken video game competitions.of
Finally, we’d like to add that BetUS is one of just a handful of bookmakers that accept deposits through Matchpay, a popular peer-to-peer credit trading marketplace.
- Solid sports and eSports coverage
- Unparalleled welcome bonus
- Last-minute betting
- Novelty lines filter
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
4. Bovada – Best New York Online Sports Betting Application
Launched by Calvin Ayre following Gambling’s Black Friday in the US, Bovada is a top online destination for sports betting in NY.
We want to attract your attention to the bookmaker’s exceptional sports betting app. The software was designed to deliver a perfect betting experience on both small and large-screen devices. Furthermore, the app features an advanced prop bet builder that makes it easy to construct complex stakes with minimum tapping and swiping. The app is a true gem in its own right.
Bovada is also home to one of the industry’s best Bitcoin-exclusive bonuses, offering up to $750 in rewards to players who make their first deposit using the popular cryptocurrency.
- Best New York mobile sports betting app
- Live streams
- Large bonus for Bitcoin depositors
- Superb market coverage
- Odds can be late compared to competitors
5. Sportsbetting.ag – Best For Soccer Online Sports Betting in NY
If you’re a soccer lover, you must give Sportsbetting.ag a try. This bookmaker somehow offers attractive lines on every European football match in the world, including games from minor African and Asian leagues, through various qualifiers, to the World Cup main event.
Of course, sportsbetting.ag isn’t just for soccer fans; the bookie does an excellent job catering to fans of rugby, martial arts, basketball, baseball, American football, motorsports, and over 15 other traditional disciplines.
To attract NY sports betting enthusiasts, the bookmaker offers a lucrative $1,000 welcome bonus, as well as several promotions designed to encourage existing players to keep depositing.
- Strongest football coverage in NY
- Attractive welcome bonus value and terms
- Decent eSports selection
- Lots of interesting prop bets
- No live stream
- High credit card fees
New York Betting Sites Comparison
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $250
|BOL1000 LIFEBONUS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $200
100% deposit match up to $100
200% deposit match up to $50
|NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $500
|Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|Bovada||75% Bitcoin deposit match up to $750||BTCSWB750||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|xBet||50% deposit match up to $1,000
25% reload bonus up to $250
|Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
Is Sports Betting Legal in New York?
Retail sports betting is legal, but online sports betting isn’t. For now, offshore sportsbooks are the only viable online option for NY residents. Read on for the details.
As of August 2021, online sports betting in New York isn’t legal, so operators can’t offer online services from inside NY state lines. Nevertheless, this is all going to change in December this year, when the NYSGC is expected to authorize two gaming groups to start offering online sports betting services.
Until that day, residents of The Empire State can place sports wagers online through numerous regulated offshore betting sites, such as the ones we ranked above.
Retail sports betting has been legal in New York since 2019, when the state’s Gaming Commission permitted native tribal casinos and four commercial casino operators to launch brick-and-mortar bookmaking services.
Currently, sports betting in New York is available at the following land-based casinos:
- Rivers Casino and Resort in Schenectady.
- del Lago Resort and Casino in Waterloo
- Resorts World Catskills in Monticello
- Tioga Downs Casino in Nichols
Rivers casino holds the biggest market share, generating monthly revenues to the tune of $650,000. On the other end of the spectrum, FanDuel-powered Tioga Downs is the least popular with New Yorkers, having generated less than $85,000 in revenues in May of 2021.
It’s worth noting that New York borders two of the country’s most gambling-friendly states, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. So if none of the local physical sportsbooks strike your fancy, you can experience the thrill and energy of land-based betting by crossing over to a neighboring state.
NY horse race pari-mutuel betting is legal and regulated by the Gaming Commission; the Empire state allows wagers on both Standardbred and Thoroughbred races held at any of the state’s thirteen tracks:
- Saratoga Race Course
- Tioga Downs Casino
- Belmont Park Racetrack
- Saratoga Casino Hotel
- Vernon Downs Casino Hotel
- Monticello Raceway
- Finger Lakes Gaming and Racetrack
- Empire City Casino by MGM Resorts
- Batavia Downs Gaming
- Saratoga Polo Association
- Goshen Historic Track
- Buffalo Raceway
New York is home to several prominent horse races, including the Whitney Handicap, the Travers Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes, all of which you can bet on inside NY.
What’s more, New York off track betting is also available through one of five betting corporations. OTB providers include:
- Western Regional OTB – over 50 locations
- Capital District Regional OTB – over 40 locations
- Suffolk Regional OTB – 35+ locations
- Catskill Regional OTB – over 24 locations
- Nassau OTB – 15 locations
Of course, you can also wager on horse races via quality offshore sportsbooks or using TVG, a dedicated online horse race betting platform.
Timeline of Sports Betting Legislation in New York
- December 6, 2021: target date for approving two of the six groups to launch NY sportsbooks.
- August 2021: The NYSGC publishes a list of six groups, some of which include competitors, that have filed requests for application. The six parties collectively comprise Bet365, Barstool, FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, Bally Bet, FOX Bet, Caesars, Resorts World, PointsBet, WynnBET, and BetRivers.
- July 2021: New York releases an application request for interested operators, including details of the scoring system.
- April 6, 2021: New York lawmakers and Cuomo reach a provisional agreement authorizing two operators to offer four sports betting skins under a revenue share deal that would guarantee NY 50% of wagering revenues.
- April 2, 2021: Governor Cuomo maintains his intent to legalize New York online sports betting. There’s talk about allowing several commercial casinos to offer online sports betting skins.
- January 2021: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announces that NY will have legal online sports betting, despite the governor’s prior opposition. The proposed legislative framework would involve a hybrid commercial-and-state-lottery-run model.
- 2020: several attempts at legalizing online sports betting die before catching wind.
- September 2019: several other retail sportsbooks are now operational, including Sportsbook 360 at Resorts World Catskills, FanDuel Sportsbook at Tioga Downs, DraftKings at del Lago Casino Resort, and a few Caesars sports betting parlors.
- July 2019: The first legal retail sportsbook in New York, Rivers Sportsbook, opens.
- June 10, 2019: The NY State Gaming Commission approves tribal casinos and four commercial casinos to offer retail sports betting services.
- December 2018: State Senator Joe Addabbo becomes the new Chair of the New York Senate Racing, Gaming & Wagering committee and the new sponsor of Senate Bill S7900.
- 2013: The New York Economic Gaming Act legalizes and regulates physical NY sports betting. Unfortunately, applicable federal laws prevent sports betting from moving forward.
As you can see, a lot is going on, and 2022 will be an exciting year for the New York sports betting scene.
Offshore Betting in New York
The state of New York neither legalizes nor criminalizes betting with offshore gambling sites. Many NY sports betting enthusiasts take advantage of this legal gray area and bet on their favorite teams using one of the top-ranked overseas sportsbooks that we recommend on this page.
Still, you should avoid signing up with an international sportsbook unless it holds a license from a reputable jurisdiction and has a proven track record of timely payouts. As long as you stick to the best offshore betting sites, you have nothing to fear.
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Legal in New York?
Daily fantasy sports were legalized in 2016 as a game of skill after a drawn-out court battle between Gov. Cuomo and the most prominent players in the DFS industry. Regional fantasy contests are regulated by the New York State Gaming Commission, which levies a 15% tax on operators and bans DFS contests involving horse races and collegiate sports.
You can participate in DFS contests, without breaking regional laws, at one of the following sites, all of which explicitly accept NY residents:
In early 2020, the court of appeals ruled DFS a game of luck, which technically makes fantasy sports illegal under current gambling laws. DFS contests are still legal for now, but this could change as existing court cases filed by industry opponents reach their conclusion.
Casino Laws in New York
Online casinos are illegal in New York. It would likely take another constitutional amendment to make online gambling legal in the state, a process that’s both time-consuming and onerous. The issue’s complexity stems from the fact that passing an amendment requires both New York Legislature chambers to give a supermajority approval. Furthermore, the amendment would require voter approval.
All in all, a functional online casino in New York is unlikely before 2025.
For now, you can scratch your gambling itch at one of the many quality real-money offshore casinos, among them Los Atlantis and Wild Casino.
Native American-owned tribal casinos have operated since 1993, and the list of legal establishments grew in 2013 when the state authorized several commercial companies to offer regional gambling services.
There are currently four types of casinos in New York:
- Class III regular casinos: offer slots, blackjack, roulette, and other table games.
- Class III Indian Casinos: open 24 hours a day, offer a full array of casino games. There are five of them in the state.
- Class II Indian Casinos: feature electronic gaming machines that look like slots but are actually closer to Bingo in terms of gameplay. The machines print out a receipt which you can exchange at the cashier for cash.
- Pari-mutuel casinos: feature slot-like lottery machines.
Overall, there are more than 20 land-based casinos with slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, bingo, video poker, keno, and different variations of poker:
- Akwesanse Mohawk Casino Resort – Hogansburg
- Batavia Downs Gaming – Batavia
- del Lago Resort & Casino – Waterloo
- Empire City Casino – Yonkers
- Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack – Farmington
- Hamburg Gaming – Hamburg
- Jake’s 58 Hotel & Casino – Islandia
- Lakeside Entertainment – Union Springs
- Point Palace Casino – Bridgeport
- Resorts World Casino New York City – Queens
- Resorts World Catskills – Monticello
- Rivers Casino & Resort Schenectady – Schenectady
- Saratoga Casino Hotel – Saratoga Springs
- Seneca Allegany Casino & Hotel – Salamanca
- Senaca Buffalo Creek Casino – Buffalo
- Senaca Gaming – Irving
- Senaca Gaming – Oil Spring
- Senaca Gaming – Salamanca
- Senaca Niagara Casino – Niagara Falls
- Tioga Downs – Nichols
- Turning Stone Casino Resort – Verona
- Vernon Downs – Vernon
- Yellow Brick Road Casino – Chittenango
Gambling Tax in New York
Gambling income counts as part of your standard personal annual income and is subject to taxes levied by the IRS and the Department of Taxation and Finance.
In most cases, gambling providers withhold a portion of your winnings (around 25%) and pay your federal taxes while simultaneously filing form W-2G in your name. Still, it’s a good idea to report your winnings to the IRS personally.
Different games come with varying thresholds of reporting. For example, bingo and slots earnings are reportable only if they exceed $1,200 during a fiscal year, while poker winnings come with a $5,000 threshold.
As for tax brackets for singles and couples in New York, the minimum is 4% ($0 to $8,500 income bracket), and the maximum is 8.82% ($1,007,551 and over). Most New Yorkers incur a state tax between 6.09% and 6.41%.
Online sports betting in New York is just around the corner. But until the first regional NY sportsbooks appear, and even after that, you can enjoy wagering with our recommended offshore sites.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in New York?
When is New York Going to Have Sports Betting?
What Betting is Legal in New York?
NBA Team Salaries
- Tyler Herro is the Runaway Favorite in the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Odds
- Pacers vs Warriors Prediction, NBA Picks and Betting Trends for Tonight’s Game
- Best NBA Player Props and Picks for Tonight, 1/20
- Suns vs Mavericks NBA Picks, Prediction and Betting Trends for Tonight’s Game
- Pacers vs Warriors Betting Offers: NBA Free Bets