On Thursday, New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum praised former Portland Trail Blazers teammate Damian Lillard.
Reporters asked McCollum how much he thinks Lillard cares about breaking Clyde Drexler’s all-time scoring franchise record with the Trail Blazers.
“I think that’s one of the reasons why he’s been so committed to being in Portland to break all the records, show his loyalty to win, and to continue to try and build a lasting legacy,” explained CJ McCollum.
A couple of NBA betting sites are giving the Trail Blazers the 12th-lowest odds to win the championship in 2023. However, a few sportsbooks are still anticipating another playoff appearance this season.
“I think he’s done all those things,” continued CJ McCollum. “People will say what they want about him, but he really works on his game, and he really cares about the game of basketball.”
In Portland’s 115-108 win over the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday, Lillard closed out his performance with 20 points in 37 minutes of action.
The six-time All-Star is now 511 points shy of passing Drexler (18,040) as the Trail Blazers all-time leading scorer. Lillard currently has 17,530 points.
Pelicans guard CJ McCollum believes Damian Lillard will become a billionaire before he retires
Lillard is already Portland’s all-time leader in points per game (24.6), free throws (3,926), 3-pointers (2,144), and player efficiency rating (22.2).
Plus, the 2013 NBA Rookie of the Year ranks ninth on the NBA’s all-time 3-pointers list, 87th on the league’s all-time points scored list, and 15th on the career scoring average list.
According to the NBA’s scoring average list, he ranks ahead of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (24.6), Stephen Curry (24.3), and Larry Bird (24.2).
“It shows you why he’s one of the top-75 greatest players of all time,” continued CJ McCollum. “He’s still a very talented player. I joke with him all the time that if he doesn’t become a billionaire before this is over, you did something wrong.”
While billionaire status is a bit of a stretch, Lillard has earned a lot of dough throughout his playing career. Per the Basketball-Reference database, through contracts alone, the guard has made $193 million.
Of course, this amount does not include endorsement deals or contract bonuses via incentives. In June, LeBron James became the league’s first active player to reach billionaire status.
Furthermore, Lillard is aiming to receive his seventh All-NBA honor this season. He has received one All-NBA First-Team honor (2018), four all-NBA Second-Team selections (2016, 2019–21), and one All-NBA Third-Team selection (2014).
One thing is for sure, the Pelicans need CJ McCollum almost as much as the Trail Blazers need Damian Lillard. With Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson healthy, the team is a playoff contender.
Content You May Like
- Best NBA Betting Sites – Discover our list of the best sites to bet on NBA games.
- NBA Futures Betting – Find NBA futures odds, strategies and betting sites.
- Free Expert NBA Picks – Our NBA experts are sharing their daily betting picks and predictions.
- Best NBA Futures Bets – In-depth guide about NBA futures bets.
- NBA Betting Strategies – Learn the best strategies to bet on NBA.
- NBA Live Betting – Top rated NBA live betting sites and offers.
- Best Online Sportsbooks – We tested and reviewed the best US betting sites.
- Best Offshore Betting Sites – List of offshore betting sites with the best offers.
- Best Online Gambling Sites – We reviewed the best gambling sites to gamble online.
- NBA Draft Betting – Everything you need to know about NBA draft betting.
- NBA Teams – Read more about the NBA teams, their stats, rosters and salaries .
- Minnesota Timberwolves Head Coach Chris Finch Contract, Salary, Net Worth, Coaching Record, and Wife
- Lakers More Interested in DeMar DeRozan than Zach LaVine
- Jrue Holiday Averaging Career-High in Rebounds Per Game
- Four Things With Frank: Alperen Şengün’s Scoring Leap, An Intriguing Cavs Lineup And More
- Pistons’ Bojan Bogdanovic (calf) could make season debut Saturday vs. Cavaliers
NBA 1 week ago
Josh Giddey, Underage Girl Go Viral After Leaked Photos On Social Media
NBA 4 days ago
Kevin Durant reveals he requested a trade out of Brooklyn because they didn’t ‘build an identity’
Main Page 1 week ago
LaMelo Ball becomes 2nd-fastest, 3rd-youngest player in NBA history to reach 500 career 3-pointers
NBA 2 weeks ago
Jonathan Isaac becomes first athlete to launch signature shoes with Bible verses inscribed on them