Quick: Over the cap, hard-capped by the Ish Smith signing
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed
PG: John Wall, Ish Smith
SG: Bradley Beal, Jerome Robinson, Admiral Schofield
SF: Isaac Bonga, Troy Brown Jr.
PF: Rui Hachimura
C: Thomas Bryant, Moritz Wagner, Anzejs Pasecniks
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Tomas Satoransky, expiring 10/24/20) — $1,432,280
- Trade Exception (Jordan McRae, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,645,347
- Trade Exception (Isaiah Thomas, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,520,564
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 9th ($4,469,160 cap hold), 37th from the Chicago Bulls (Tomas Satoransky); 39th to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jared Dudley, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith, Nikola Mirotic)
Unsigned Draft Picks
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Isaac Bonga $1,663,861 (10/17/20)
- Anzejs Pasecniks $1,517,981 (TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Full Bird: Ian Mahinmi ($23,175,077), Davis Bertans ($13,300,000)
- Early Bird: Shabazz Napier ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Gary Payton II ($1,620,564), Ramon Sessions* ($1,620,564), Ty Lawson* ($1,620,564), Garrison Mathews (RFA TBD, two-way), Johnathan Williams (TFA TBD, two-way)
- None: Jerian Grant (substitute), Jarrod Uthoff (substitute)
* Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
- Rui Hachimura
- Jerome Robinson
- Troy Brown Jr.
- Moritz Wagner
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Pops Mensah-Bonsu general manager, Ryan Richman head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Scott Brooks (five-year, $35 million deal starting for 2016-17 season)
Assistants: Robert Pack, Mike Terpstra, Mike Longabardi, Dean Oliver, Corey Gaines, Jarell Christian, David Adkins (director of player development), Kristi Tolliver
Development assistant coaches: Kristi Tolliver, Kamran Sufi, Alex McLean, Landon Tatum, Ryan Lumpkin, Jimmy Bradshaw, Isaac Jenkins, Mike Williams
Trainer: Eric Waters
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Mark Simpson — vice president of player performance
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from either the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Markieff Morris).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1.1 million to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis) — $4,517,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/8/20 — Anzejs Pasecniks’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 7/8/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $100,000 for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 7/20/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $250,000 for 2020-21 (revised date TBD)..
- 9/20/20 — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $350,000 for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 10/17/20 — Isaac Bonga’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/24/20 — Tomas Satoransky trade exception expires.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Troy Brown Jr., Jerome Robinson, Moritz Wagner and Rui Hachimura (revised date TBD).
- First day of the season — Justin Robinson’s salary guarantees at $500,000 for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Justin Robinson’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 2/6/21 — Isaiah Thomas and Jordan McRae trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga.
- 7/4/21 — Admiral Schofield’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/10/21 — Anzejs Pasecniks and Justin Robinson’s $1,782,621 guarantee for 2021-22.
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines for Troy Brown Jr., Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Troy Brown Jr., Justin Robinson, Admiral Schofield, Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
- 6/30/22 — Bradley Beal and John Wall’s player options.
- Before first day of the 2022 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- John Wall — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Capital One Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/20/20)