Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Robin Lopez contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Russell Westbrook, Ish Smith, Raul Neto, Cassius Winston (two-way)
SG: Bradley Beal, Jerome Robinson, Garrison Mathews (two-way)
SF: Deni Avdija, Isaac Bonga, Troy Brown Jr
PF: Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans, Moritz Wagner, Anthony Gill, Jordan Bell
C: Robin Lopez, Anzejs Pasecniks, Thomas Bryant (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jordan McRae, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,645,347
- Trade Exception (Isaiah Thomas, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,620,564
- Trade Exception (Admiral Schofield, expiring 7/28/21) — $1 million
- Mid-Level Exception — $1,958,000 (Robin Lopez)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Anzejs Pasecniks $1,517,981 ($250,000 guaranteed) — 2/1/24
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21
Waived Players: Yoeli Childs, Caleb Homesley, Marlon Taylor, Jordan Bell
Traded Players: Admiral Schofield, John Wall
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Amber Nichols general manager, Ryan Richman head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Garrison Mathews, Cassius Winston
Governor: Ted Leonsis
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Frank Ross — vice president of college personnel
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- Tony DiLeo — director of college personnel
Head Coach: Scott Brooks
Assistants: Tony Brown, Mike Longabardi, Robert Pack, David Adkins, Jarell Christian, Dean Oliver, Corey Gaines, Mike Terpstra, Eric Sebastian
Trainer: Dr. Michael Ashton (director of player health), Jesse Phillips (director of player rehabilitation and therapy), Dr. Michael Davis (director of physical and performance therapy), Adam Petway (director of athletic performance)
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from either the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons (Anthony Davis, Tomas Satoransky).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected in 2023, top-12 in 2024, top-10 in 2025, top-8 in 2026, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the Houston Rockets (John Wall).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Markieff Morris, Steven Adams).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/1/24 — Anzejs Pasecniks’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 2/6/21 — Isaiah Thomas and Jordan McRae trade exceptions expire.
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Raul Neto, Robin Lopez and Anthony Gill.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 3/3/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Davis Bertans.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga.
- 7/28/21 — Admiral Schofield trade exception expires.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Anthony Gill’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22 (one day after the 2021-22 moratorium).
- 8/11/21 — Anzejs Pasecniks’ $1,782,621 guarantee for 2021-22.
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Troy Brown Jr.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Deni Avdija and Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Troy Brown Jr and Anthony Gill.
- 6/29/22 — Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook’s player options.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Early Termination option for Davis Bertans’ 2024-25 season.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Note: If Davis Bertans plays in 75 percent of regular-season games in 2023-24, his 2024-25 season guarantees in full (though he’ll still retain his early termination option).
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Deni Avdija (2020-9th) and Vit Krejci (2020-37th).
- 11/18/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Garrison Matthews.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Admiral Schofield and the rights to Vit Krejci (2020-37th) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rights to Cassius Winston (2020-53rd) and a Memphis Grizzlies 2024 second-rounder.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Johnathan Williams.
- 11/19/20 — Isaac Bonga’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/21/20 — Re-signed Garrison Mathews to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/21/20 — Signed Raul Neto to a $1,882,867 minimum contract.
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Davis Bertans to a partially-guaranteed five-year $80 million contract, early termination option on final season.
- 11/22/20 — Signed Robin Lopez to a $7.3 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Tomas Satoransky trade exception ($1,432,280) expired.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Cassius Winston (2020-53rd) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Marlon Taylor to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Yoeli Childs to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Caleb Homesley to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Anthony Gill to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,416,291 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Deni Avdija to a $20,341,348 rookie-scale contract (including $375,000 international buyout).
- 12/18/20 — Waived Yoeli Childs, Caleb Homesley and Marlon Taylor.
- 12/18/20 — Signed Jordan Bell to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Jordan Bell.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Rui Hachimura’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Troy Brown Jr’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/29/20 — Declined the fourth-year rookie-scale options on Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Ian Mahinmi ($23,175,077)
- Early Bird: Shabazz Napier ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Gary Payton II ($1,620,564), Ramon Sessions*** ($1,620,564), Ty Lawson*** ($1,620,564), Johnathan Williams (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
Arena: Capital One Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/15/21)