Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Robin Lopez contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Russell Westbrook, Raul Neto, Ish Smith, Cassius Winston (two-way)
SG: Bradley Beal, Chandler Hutchison
SF: Deni Avdija, Garrison Mathews (two-way), Isaac Bonga
PF: Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans, Anthony Gill
C: Alex Len, Robin Lopez, Daniel Gafford, Thomas Bryant (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Admiral Schofield, expiring 7/28/21) — $1 million
- Trade Exception (Moritz Wagner, expiring 2/11/22*) — $2,161,920
- Mid-Level Exception — $1,958,000 (Robin Lopez)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
* Exact Date TBD
Waived Players: Yoeli Childs, Caleb Homesley, Marlon Taylor, Jordan Bell, Anzejs Pasecniks, Jerome Robinson
Traded Players: Admiral Schofield, John Wall, Troy Brown Jr, Moritz Wagner
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Jordan Bell (two)
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Amber Nichols general manager, Ryan Richman head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Garrison Mathews, Cassius Winston
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Ted Leonsis
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Frank Ross — vice president of college personnel
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- Tony DiLeo — director of college personnel
Head Coach: Scott Brooks
Assistants: Tony Brown, Mike Longabardi, Robert Pack, David Adkins, Jarell Christian, Dean Oliver, Corey Gaines, Mike Terpstra, Eric Sebastian
Trainer: Dr. Michael Ashton (director of player health), Jesse Phillips (director of player rehabilitation and therapy), Dr. Michael Davis (director of physical and performance therapy), Adam Petway (director of athletic performance)
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from either the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons (Anthony Davis, Tomas Satoransky).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected in 2023, top-12 in 2024, top-10 in 2025, top-8 in 2026, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the Houston Rockets (John Wall).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Markieff Morris, Steven Adams).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/28/21 — Admiral Schofield trade exception expires.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- 8/6/21 — Anthony Gill’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22 (one day after the 2021-22 moratorium).
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Deni Avdija and Rui Hachimura.
- 1/17/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 2/11/22 — Moritz Wagner trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Chandler Hutchison and Anthony Gill.
- 6/29/22 — Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook’s player options.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 1/7/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Early Termination option for Davis Bertans’ 2024-25 season.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Note: If Davis Bertans plays in 75 percent of regular-season games in 2023-24, his 2024-25 season guarantees in full (though he’ll still retain his early termination option).
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Deni Avdija (2020-9th) and Vit Krejci (2020-37th).
- 11/18/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Garrison Matthews.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Admiral Schofield and the rights to Vit Krejci (2020-37th) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rights to Cassius Winston (2020-53rd) and a Memphis Grizzlies 2024 second-rounder.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Johnathan Williams.
- 11/19/20 — Isaac Bonga’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/21/20 — Re-signed Garrison Mathews to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/21/20 — Signed Raul Neto to a $1,882,867 minimum contract.
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Davis Bertans to a partially-guaranteed five-year $80 million contract, early termination option on final season.
- 11/22/20 — Signed Robin Lopez to a $7.3 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Tomas Satoransky trade exception ($1,432,280) expired.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Cassius Winston (2020-53rd) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Marlon Taylor to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Yoeli Childs to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Caleb Homesley to non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Anthony Gill to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,416,291 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Deni Avdija to a $20,341,348 rookie-scale contract (including $375,000 international buyout).
- 12/2/20 — Traded John Wall and a protected 2023 first-rounder (lottery protected in 2023, top-12 in 2024, top-10 in 2025, top-8 in 2026, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the Houston Rockets for Russell Westbrook.
- 12/18/20 — Waived Yoeli Childs, Caleb Homesley and Marlon Taylor.
- 12/18/20 — Signed Jordan Bell to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Jordan Bell.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Rui Hachimura’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Troy Brown Jr’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/29/20 — Declined the fourth-year rookie-scale options on Jerome Robinson and Moritz Wagner.
- 1/17/21 — Waived Anzejs Pasecniks.
- 1/23/21 — Signed Alex Len for the rest of the season at a non-guaranteed $1,697,755.
- 1/23/21 — Signed Jordan Bell to a 10-day $114,990 contract (hardship).
- 1/30/21 — Ended Jordan Bell’s 10-day contract.
- 2/6/21 — Isaiah Thomas ($1,620,564) and Jordan McRae ($1,645,347) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/24/21 — Alex Len’s $1,697,755 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Troy Brown Jr to the Chicago Bulls and Moritz Wagner to the Boston Celtics for Chandler Hutchison and Daniel Gafford from the Bulls. The Celtics also sent Javonte Green, Daniel Theis and cash (TBD) to the Bulls for Luke Kornet.
- 4/8/21 — Waived Jerome Robinson.
- 4/14/21 — Re-signed Jordan Bell to a second 10-day $114,990 contract.
- 4/19/21 — Thomas Bryant disabled player exception ($4,166,667) expired.
- 4/24/21 — Jordan Bell’s 10-day contract expired.
- Bradley Beal (15 percent)
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Alex Len (signing restriction)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Ian Mahinmi ($23,175,077)
- Early Bird: Shabazz Napier ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Ramon Sessions*** ($1,620,564), Ty Lawson*** ($1,620,564), Johnathan Williams (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Capital One Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/27/21)