Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Spencer Dinwiddie sign-and-trade.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Hard Cap: $143,002,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $46.6 million in cap space, none with Bradley Beal
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, three summer contracts, one two-way
PG: Spencer Dinwiddie, Aaron Holiday, Raul Neto, Cassius Winston (two-way)
SG: Bradley Beal, Jordan Goodwin (summer contract)
SF: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Deni Avdija, Corey Kispert
PF: Rui Hachimura, Kyle Kuzma, Davis Bertans, Anthony Gill, Isaiah Todd
C: Thomas Bryant, Daniel Gafford, Montrezl Harrell, Jay Huff (summer contract), Jaime Echenique (summer contract)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Moritz Wagner, expiring 2/11/22) — $2,161,920
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $8,036,000 — Isaiah Todd
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Daniel Gafford $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
- Jay Huff $925,258 — 1/7/22
- Jordan Goodwin $925,258 — 1/7/22
- Jaime Echenique $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Aaron Holiday
- Deni Avdija (third-year)
- Rui Hachimura (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Caleb Homesley
Traded Players: Russell Westbrook, Chandler Hutchison
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Amber Nichols general manager, Mike Williams head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Ted Leonsis
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Frank Ross — vice president of college personnel
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- Tony DiLeo — director of college personnel
Head Coach: Wes Unseld Jr
Assistants: Pat Delany, Joseph Blair, Mike Miller, Zach Guthrie
Trainer: Dr. Michael Ashton (director of player health), Jesse Phillips (director of player rehabilitation and therapy), Dr. Michael Davis (director of physical and performance therapy), Adam Petway (director of athletic performance)
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Minnesota Timberwolves (Sam Dekker, Ricky Rubio).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected in 2023, top-12 in 2024, top-10 in 2025, top-8 in 2026, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (John Wall, Alperen Sengun).
- 2023 — The two higher second-rounders of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Wizards and (the higher of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT) to the Thunder, the lowest to the New York Knicks (Markieff Morris, Steven Adams, Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier).
- 2024 — Owe the higher second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies or Wizards to the Brooklyn Nets and the lower to the Los Angeles Lakers (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — The higher second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors and Wizards will go to the Brooklyn Nets, the lower to Washington (Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook).
- 2028 — Owe a second-rounder to the Los Angeles Lakers (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $1 million from the Indiana Pacers (Isaiah Jackson)
- 9/5/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Cassius Winston.
- 9/14/21 — No-aggregation restrictions lift on Aaron Holiday, Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Montrezl Harrell.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Aaron Holiday.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Deni Avdija and Rui Hachimura.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Spencer Dinwiddie, Jay Huff, Jaime Echenique and Jordan Goodwin.
- 1/7/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — Jay Huff, Jaime Echenique and Jordan Goodwin’s $925,258 guarantee for 2021-22.
- 2/11/22 — Moritz Wagner trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jay Huff, Jaime Echenique, Jordan Goodwin, Aaron Holiday and Anthony Gill.
- 6/29/22 — Bradley Beal’s player option.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jay Huff.
- 1/7/22 – Jay Huff’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/28/22 — Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s $14,004,703 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 1/7/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/23 — Kyle Kuzma’s player option.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on Isaiah Todd.
- 6/29/24 — Early Termination option for Davis Bertans’ 2024-25 season.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Note: If Davis Bertans plays in 75 percent of regular-season games in 2023-24, his 2024-25 season guarantees in full (though he’ll still retain his early termination option).
- 6/16/21 — Parted ways with coach Scott Brooks.
- 7/17/21 — Hired Wes Unseld Jr as head coach.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Corey Kispert (2021-15th).
- 7/30/21 — Admiral Schofield trade exception ($1,000,000) expired.
- 8/1/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Cassius Winston and Garrison Mathews.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Isaac Bonga.
- 8/4/21 — Signed Corey Kispert (2021-15th) to a $16,364,407 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/5/21 — Waived Caleb Homesley.
- 8/5/21 — Revoked Garrison Mathews’ qualifying offer.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Russell Westbrook, a Chicago Bulls 2023 second-rounder, the lower 2024 second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies and Wizards, and a 2028 second-rounder to the Los Angeles Lakers, Chandler Hutchison and the highest second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls, Detroit Pistons or Lakers to the San Antonio Spurs, and the higher 2024 second-rounder from the Grizzlies or Wizards, and a 2025 pick swap (between the Golden State Warriors and Wizards) to the Brooklyn Nets for Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Montrezl Harrell from the Lakers, Spencer Dinwiddie via sign-and-trade to a partially-guaranteed three-year $61,714,284 contract (incentives TBD) from the Nets, and Aaron Holiday, Isaiah Todd (2021-31st) and $1 million from the Pacers.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Raul Neto to a $2,089,448 contract.
- 8/7/21 — Anthony Gill’s $1,517,981 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Jay Huff to a $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/10/21 — Signed Isaiah Todd (2021-31st) to a four-year $6,888,212 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, team option on the final season.
- 8/18/21 — Signed Jordan Goodwin to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/18/21 — Signed Jaime Echenique to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/19/21 — Re-signed Cassius Winston to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
No-Trade: Raul Neto (One-Year Bird)
- Bradley Beal (15 percent)
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Ian Mahinmi*** ($23,175,077)
- Early Bird: Garrison Mathews (two-way), Shabazz Napier*** ($1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Ramon Sessions*** ($1,669,178), Ty Lawson*** ($1,699,178), Johnathan Williams (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: None
Arena: Capital One Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/3/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Klay Thompson: “I should be on the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team”
- Nets vs. 76ers: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Pacers vs. Wizards: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Knicks vs. Magic: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Betting Picks, Prediction, and Preview