Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Robin Lopez contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
NBA Draft: No. 15; No. 43 to the New Orleans Pelicans (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic)
Unsigned Draft Picks
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, three non-guaranteed
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Bradley Beal, Chandler Hutchison, Caleb Homesley
SF: Deni Avdija
PF: Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans, Anthony Gill
C: Thomas Bryant, Daniel Gafford
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Admiral Schofield, expiring 7/30/21) — $1 million
- Trade Exception (Moritz Wagner, expiring 2/11/22) — $2,161,920
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Anthony Gill $1,517,981 — 8/6/21
- Daniel Gafford $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
- Caleb Homesley $1,517,981 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Ian Mahinmi*** ($23,175,077), Isaac Bonga ($2,079,826, RFA)
- Early Bird: Ish Smith ($7,800,000), Garrison Mathews ($1,669,178, two-way, RFA), Shabazz Napier*** ($1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Robin Lopez ($8,760,000), Raul Neto ($1,669,178), Alex Len ($1,669,178), Ramon Sessions*** ($1,669,178), Ty Lawson*** ($1,699,178), Cassius Winston (two-way, RFA), Johnathan Williams (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Isaac Bonga $2,079,826
- Garrison Mathews $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed)
- Cassius Winston (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Chandler Hutchison
- Deni Avdija (third-year)
- Rui Hachimura (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Capital City Go-Go (Amber Nichols general manager, Ryan Richman head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Ted Leonsis
- Tommy Sheppard — general manager
- Rod Thorn — senior advisor to the general manager
- Brett Greenberg — assistant general manager for strategy and analytics
- Frank Ross — vice president of college personnel
- Johnny Rogers — vice president of pro personnel
- Antawn Jamison — director of pro personnel
- Tony DiLeo — director of college personnel
Head Coach: None
Assistants: Tony Brown, Mike Longabardi, Robert Pack, David Adkins, Jarell Christian, Dean Oliver, Corey Gaines, Mike Terpstra, Eric Sebastian
Trainer: Dr. Michael Ashton (director of player health), Jesse Phillips (director of player rehabilitation and therapy), Dr. Michael Davis (director of physical and performance therapy), Adam Petway (director of athletic performance)
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from either the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons (Anthony Davis, Tomas Satoransky).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Sam Dekker).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected in 2023, top-12 in 2024, top-10 in 2025, top-8 in 2026, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the Houston Rockets (John Wall).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Markieff Morris, Steven Adams). Pick may go to the Boston Celtics (Kemba Walker).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/30/21 — Admiral Schofield trade exception expires.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Isaac Bonga.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- 8/6/21 — Anthony Gill’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22 (one day after the 2021-22 moratorium).
- 8/13/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Caleb Homesley.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Deni Avdija and Rui Hachimura.
- 1/17/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — Caleb Homesley’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 2/11/22 — Moritz Wagner trade exception expires.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Chandler Hutchison and Anthony Gill.
- 6/29/22 — Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook’s player options.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Rui Hachimura.
- 1/7/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 1/7/23 — Caleb Homesley’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rui Hachimura.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Caleb Homesley.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 1/7/24 — Caleb Homesley’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Deni Avdija.
- 6/29/24 — Early Termination option fo3r Davis Bertans’ 2024-25 season.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Note: If Davis Bertans plays in 75 percent of regular-season games in 2023-24, his 2024-25 season guarantees in full (though he’ll still retain his early termination option).
- 6/16/21 — Parted ways with coach Scott Brooks.
- Bradley Beal (15 percent)
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Capital One Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)