Boston Celtics Team Salary
Quick: Spent over the cap.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $16.5-$55.0 million
- Room: $2,898,000
2016/17 Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, three non-guaranteed
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Jaylen Brown (2016-3rd, cap hold $3,952,500), Guerschon Yabusele (2016-16th, cap hold $1,573,500), Ante Zizic (2016-23rd, cap hold $1,151,900)
- Second-rounders: Demetrius Jackson (2016-45th), Ben Bentil (2016-51st), Abdel Nader (2016-58th), Marcus Thornton (2015-45th), Colton Iverson (2013-53rd), Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
- Bird: Tyler Zeller (restricted), Jared Sullinger (restricted)
- Early Bird: Evan Turner, Luigi Datome (restricted)
Players only restricted if team gives qualifying offers.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Amir Johnson ($12,000,000), Jonas Jerebko ($5,000,000), John Holland ($874,636)
Qualifying Offers: Tyler Zeller ($3,695,169), Jared Sullinger ($4,433,683), Luigi Datome ($2,275,000), Gigi Datome ($2,175,000)
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier
SG: Avery Bradley, R.J. Hunter
SF: Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, James Young, John Holland
PF: Amir Johnson, Jordan Mickey
C: Kelly Olynyk
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Marcus Smart ($4,538,020), James Young ($2,803,507), Terry Rozier ($1,988,520), R.J. Hunter ($1,251,960)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Kelly Olynyk
- 6/30/16 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Zeller, Gigi Datome and Jared Sullinger.
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/3/16 — Amir Johnson’s $12.0 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 7/3/16 — Jonas Jerebko’s $5.0 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins.
- 7/11/216 — No-trade restriction lifts on John Holland.
- 10/31/16 — Team options for Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, James Young and R.J. Hunter.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadline for Kelly Olynyk.
- 1/10/17 — John Holland’s $874,636 guarantee for 2016/17.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kelly Olynyk and John Holland.
- 7/15/17 — Jordan Mickey’s $1.3 million guarantees for 17/18.
- 10/31/17 — Extension deadline for Marcus Smart and James Young.
- 10/31/17 — Team options for Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter.
- 6/29/18 — Team option for Jordan Mickey.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for James Young and Marcus Smart.
- 7/15/18 — Jordan Mickey’s $1.3 million guarantees for 18/19.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10.
- 5/31/16 — Signed Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens to contract extensions.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Jaylen Brown (3rd), Guerschon Yabusele (16th), Ante Zizic (23rd), Demetrius Jackson (45th), Ben Bentil (51st), Abdel Nader (58th)
- 6/23/16 — Traded the rights to Deyonta Davis (31st) and Rade Zagorac (35th) to Memphis Grizzlies for a 2019 Los Angeles Clippers first-rounder.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Walter McCarty, Micah Shrewsberry
Trainer: Ed Lacerte, Bryan Doo (strength and conditioning)
- Danny Ainge — President of Basketball Operations
- Mike Zarren — Assistant General Manager & Team Counsel
- Austin Ainge — Director of Player Personnel
- David Sparks — Director of Basketball Analytics
- 2017 — Right to swap first-rounders with the Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett)
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Austin Rivers).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett), if in 46-60 range and Boston swaps its first-rounder swapped with Brooklyn.
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Oklahoma City Thunder (Perry Jones III).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to a 2022 second-rounder) from Los Angeles Clippers (Jeff Green, Deyonta Davis), two years following Clippers’ obligation to Toronto Raptors.
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Detroit Pistons (Reggie Jackson, Perry Jones III).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Memphis Grizzlies (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Zoran Dragic).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $1.5 million from Oklahoma City Thunder (Perry Jones III), $1.6 million from Miami HEAT (Zoran Dragic) — $300k remaining
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
D-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Amnesty: Expired unused.
- Luigi Datome — $2,275,000 (Early Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 6/25/16)