- NBA Saturday: Will Kobe Bryant Return to Form?
- NBA PM: Thomas Discusses Decision to Join Suns
- NBA Salary Cap Update
- 18 Years of Pain for Tre Kelley and No Stopping Now
- Who Are the Best Teams in the East?
- Will Kyle Lowry Take the Next Step?
- NBA PM: Who Are the League’s Next Superstars?
- NBA Sunday: Which Free Agents Are Still Available?
- 2014-15 NBA Trade Kickers
- How Many National TV Games for Each NBA Team?
Boston Celtics Team Salary
Rookie Contract Options Pending: Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller
- Mid-Level: $5,305,000 (partially used on Evan Turner TBD)
- Bi-Annual: $2,077,000
- Trade Exception (Courtney Lee, expiring 1/6/15) — $2,090,000
- Trade Exception (Kris Humphries, expiring 7/19/15) — $4,250,000
* To be renounced if team goes under the cap.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, three camp invites
PG: Rajon Rondo, Marcus Smart, Phil Pressey, Tim Frazier
SG: Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Marcus Thornton, Chris Babb, Rodney McGruder
SF: Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace, James Young, Christapher Johnson, Keith Bogans
PF: Brandon Bass, Kelly Olynyk, Christian Watford
C: Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Joel Anthony, Vitor Faverani
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 6/10/14 — Joel Anthony opted into the final year on his contract.
- 6/26/14 — Selected Marcus Smart (6th) and James Young (17th) in the 2014 NBA Draft.
- 7/5/14 — Signed Marcus Smart to a $14.8 million rookie scale contract.
- 7/10/14 — Traded a future conditional second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton and a protected 2016 second-rounder.
- 7/10/14 — Signed James Young to an $8.1 million rookie scale contract.
- 7/15/14 — Signed Avery Bradley on a four-year, $32 million contract.
- 7/19/14 — Traded Kris Humphries (sign and trade on a three-year, $13.3 million contract) to the Washington Wizards for a protected second-rounder.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Rodney McGruder to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Tim Frazier to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Christian Watford to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- TBD — Agreed to sign Evan Turner (TBD).
Waived Players: None
- Early Bird: Jerryd Bayless
Note: The Celtics have a long list of free agents no longer in the league that represent cap holds which would need to be renounced for Boston to get under the cap (Shaquille O’Neal, Michael Finley, Michael Olowokandi, Stephon Marbury, etc.).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Colton Iverson (2013-53rd), Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal)
- Danny Ainge — President of Basketball Operations
- Mike Zarren — Assistant General Manager & Team Counsel
- Austin Ainge — Director of Player Personnel
- David Sparks — Director of Basketball Analytics
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise becomes 2015 and 2016 second-rounders) from Philadelphia 76ers (Arnett Moultrie, Joel Anthony).
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Doc Rivers).
- 2015 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Sacramento Kings (Sam Cassell).
- 2015 — Owed second-rounder (top-49 protected) from Washington Wizards (Kris Humphries).
- 2015 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyler Zeller).
- 2016 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
- 2016 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2018, unprotected in 2019) from Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyler Zeller).
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Joel Anthony).
- 2016 — Owe second-rounder to Memphis Grizzlies (Jerryd Bayless). Pick could go to Utah Jazz (Jarnell Stokes).
- 2017 — Right to swap first-rounders with the Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett)
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett), if in 46-60 range and Boston swaps its first-rounder swapped with Brooklyn.
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Sacramento Kings (Marquis Daniels).
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
Cash Paid ($3.3 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.3 million max): $0
Amnesty: Unused with no remaining eligible players.
The Celtics have $22.7 million in cap holds for players who were not in the league last season, including Shaquille O’Neal, P.J. Brown, Nenad Krstic, Chris Wilcox, Carlos Arroyo, Michael Finley, Scot Pollard, Stephon Marbury, Michael Olowokandi, Dana Barros, Mark Bryant, Roshown McLeod and Grant Long. Renouncing those players to remove the hold is strictly a clerical process.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/26/14)