Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): None
- Room Exception: $0 (Aron Baynes)
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
PG: Kyrie Irving, Terry Rozier, Shane Larkin
SG: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward (injured)
SF: Jayson Tatum, Abdel Nader
PF: Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele, Daniel Theis
C: Aron Baynes
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: Kadeem Allen (two-year), Jabari Bird (one-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
- Al Horford — 15 percent
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Walter McCarty, Micah Shrewsberry, Jerome Allen
Trainer: Ed Lacerte, Bryan Doo (strength and conditioning)
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder (two through five range) from Los Angeles Lakers (Steve Nash, Brandon Knight, 2017-1st).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Oklahoma City Thunder (Perry Jones III).
- 2019 — If 2018 Lakers first-rounder is not conveyed, owed the higher of Sacramento Kings’ selection (Nik Stauskas) or Philadelphia’s own pick, but both are top pick protected (2017-1st trade).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to a 2022 second-rounder) from Los Angeles Clippers (Jeff Green, Deyonta Davis), two years following Clippers’ obligation to Toronto Raptors.
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Memphis Grizzlies (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- 12/15/17 — No-trade restrictions lift on Shane Larkin, Daniel Theis, Aron Baynes and Gordon Hayward.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for Marcus Smart.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 7/10/18 — Daniel Theis’ $1,378,242 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,378,242 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Kadeem Allen’s two-year contract guarantees for 2018-19.
- 8/1/18 — Abdel Nader’s $1,378,242 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Before start of 2018 season — Extension deadline for Terry Rozier.
- 10/31/18 — Team options on Jayson Tatum, Guerschon Yabusele and Jaylen Brown.
- 6/29/19 — Player option for Al Horford.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Daniel Theis and Terry Rozier.
- 7/1/19 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/15/19 — Abdel Nader’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- Before start of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on Gordon Hayward.
- 6/29/20 — Team options on Abdel Nader and Semi Ojeleye.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 7/15/20 — Abdel Nader’s $1,752,950 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before start of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 6/19/17 — Traded the 1st overall pick in the draft to Philadelphia 76ers for the 3rd selection along with the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2018 first-rounder (two through five), otherwise Boston receives the higher pick between the Sacramento Kings’ 2019 first-rounder (top pick protected) or Philadelphia’s 2019 first-rounder (top pick protected).
- 6/22/17 — Drafted Jayson Tatum (3rd), Semi Ojeleye (37th), Kadeem Allen (53rd) and Jabari Bird (56th).
- 6/24/17 — Renounced the rights to Marcus Thornton (2015-45th).
- 7/1/17 — Signed Jayson Tatum (2017-3rd) to a $30,073,320 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/17 — Signed Ante Zizic (2016-23rd) to a $9,751,975 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/4/17 — Withdrew Kelly Olynyk’s qualifying offer.
- 7/7/17 — Traded Avery Bradley and a 2019 second-rounder to Detroit Pistons for Marcus Morris.
- 7/13/17 — Renounced the rights to James Young, Jonas Jerebko and Gerald Green.
- 7/14/17 — Opted Demetrius Jackson into his final year (2019-20).
- 7/14/17 — Signed Gordon Hayward to a four-year, $127,829,970 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/14/17 — Signed Abdel Nader (2016-58th) to a partially-guaranteed four-year, $5,917,045 contract.
- 7/17/17 — Signed Paul Pierce to a non-guaranteed one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 7/18/17 — Signed Semi Ojeleye (2017-37th) to a partially-guaranteed four-year, $6,041,604 contract, team option on final season.
- 7/19/17 — Signed Aron Baynes to a one-year, $4,328,000 contract.
- 7/19/17 — Signed Guerschon Yabusele (2016-16th) to a $12,814,166 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/19/17 — Signed Daniel Theis to a partially-guaranteed $2,193,857 contract.
- 7/19/17 — Signed Kadeem Allen (2017-53rd) to a two-year, two-way contract.
- 7/31/17 — Signed Shane Larkin to a one-year, $1,524,305 contract.
- 8/22/17 — Traded Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a Brooklyn Nets first-rounder and a Miami HEAT 2020 second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers for Kyrie Irving (pending physical).
- 8/28/17 — Signed L.J. Peak to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (with exhibits nine and 10).
- 8/28/17 — Signed Andrew White to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (with exhibits nine and 10).
- 8/31/17 — Signed Jabari Bird (2017-56th) to a one-year, two-way contract.
- 9/26/17 — Signed Jonathan Holmes to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (with exhibits nine and 10).
- 9/26/17 — Signed Devin Williams to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract (with exhibits nine and 10).
- 10/10/17 — Signed Daniel Dixon to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 10/13/17 — Signed Daniel Ochefu to a non-guaranteed one-year, $1,312,611 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 10/30/17 — Picked up team options for Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown.
Waived Players: Tyler Zeller, Jordan Mickey, Demetrius Jackson, Paul Pierce, L.J. Peak, Andrew White, Jonathan Holmes, Devin Williams, Daniel Ochefu, Daniel Dixon
Traded Players: Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: TD Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/8/17)