Quick: Over the cap and tax
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $32.4 million.
Roster Count: Fifteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Kyrie Irving, Terry Rozier, Brad Wanamaker, Walter Lemon Jr. (two-way), P.J. Dozier (two-way)
SG: Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart, Jabari Bird
SF: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris
PF: Jayson Tatum, Daniel Theis, Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele
C: Al Horford, Aron Baynes, Robert Williams
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Shane Larkin ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Jonathan Gibson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Trade Exception (Abdel Nader, expiring 7/23/19) — $450,000
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,337,000
Waived Players: Kadeem Allen (two-way), Rodney Purvis, Justin Bibbs, Nicholas King, Jeff Roberson, Marcus Georges-Hunt
Traded Players: Abdel Nader
- Al Horford — 15 percent
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: Walter Lemon Jr., P.J. Dozier
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Scott Morrison, Micah Shrewsberry, Jerome Allen
Performance: Art Horne
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- 2019 — Owed the higher of Sacramento Kings’ first-rounder (Nik Stauskas) or Philadelphia’s own pick, but both are top-pick protected (Jayson Tatum).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight protected, top-six protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to a 2022 second-rounder) from Los Angeles Clippers (Jeff Green, Deyonta Davis), two years following Clippers’ obligation to Toronto Raptors.
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Memphis Grizzlies (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $450,000 to Oklahoma City Thunder (Abdel Nader)
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jabari Bird, Aron Baynes and Brad Wanamaker.
- 1/1/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Marcus Georges-Hunt.
- 1/10/19 — Marcus Georges-Hunt’s $1,512,601 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/15/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Marcus Smart.
- 6/29/19 — Player options for Al Horford and Aron Baynes.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Marcus Georges-Hunt, Brad Wanamaker, Daniel Theis and Terry Rozier.
- 7/1/19 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Jabari Bird’s $1,588,231 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/23/19 — Abel Nader trade exception expires.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Robert Williams, Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on Gordon Hayward.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Semi Ojeleye.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jaylen Brown and Jabari Bird.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Robert Williams,
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Robert Williams.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Robert Williams (27th).
- 6/29/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Marcus Smart and Jabari Bird.
- 7/2/18 — Signed Brad Wanamaker to a one-year $838,464 minimum contract.
- 8/5/18 — Signed Robert Williams (2018-27th) to a $9,283,858 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Aron Baynes to a two-year, $10,646,880 contract, player option in final season.
- 7/10/18 — Daniel Theis’ $1,378,242 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,378,242 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/19/18 — Signed Marcus Smart to a four-year $52 million contract.
- 7/23/18 — Traded Abdel Nader and cash $450,000 to Oklahoma City Thunder for Rodney Purvis.
- 7/25/18 — Signed Walter Lemon Jr. to a two-way contract.
- 7/26/18 — Signed Jabari Bird to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,937,614 contract.
- 8/20/18 — Signed P.J. Dozier to a two-way contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Justin Bibbs to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Nicholas King to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Jeff Roberson to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/1/18 — Signed Marcus Georges-Hunt to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,512,601 minimum summer contract.
- 10/31/18 — Picked up team options on Jayson Tatum, Guerschon Yabusele and Jaylen Brown.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Arena: TD Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/13/18)