Quick: Over the cap and tax
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $35.7 million, likely over the cap depending on the player options/rights of Al Horford, Kyrie Irving, Aron Baynes, Terry Rozier, etc., and draft pick protections (Memphis Grizzlies and Los Angeles Clippers).
Roster Count: Fourteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Kyrie Irving, Terry Rozier, Brad Wanamaker, P.J. Dozier (two-way)
SG: Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, R.J. Hunter (two-way)
SF: Jayson Tatum, Gordon Hayward
PF: Marcus Morris, Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele, Daniel Theis
C: Al Horford, Aron Baynes, Robert Williams
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Abdel Nader, expiring 7/23/19) — $450,000
- Trade Exception (Jabari Bird, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,349,383
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,337,000
Waived Players: Kadeem Allen (two-way), Rodney Purvis, Justin Bibbs, Nicholas King, Jeff Roberson, Marcus Georges-Hunt, Walter Lemon Jr. (two-way)
Traded Players: Abdel Nader, Jabari Bird
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: P.J. Dozier, R.J. Hunter
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Scott Morrison, Micah Shrewsberry, Jerome Allen
Performance: Art Horne
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- 2019 — Owed the higher of Sacramento Kings’ first-rounder (Nik Stauskas) or Philadelphia’s own pick, but both are top-pick protected (Jayson Tatum).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight protected, top-six protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to a 2022 second-rounder) from Los Angeles Clippers (Jeff Green, Deyonta Davis).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Memphis Grizzlies (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Jabari Bird).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $450,000 to Oklahoma City Thunder (Abdel Nader); TBD to the Atlanta Hawks (for Jabari Bird)
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 6/29/19 — Player options for Al Horford and Aron Baynes.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brad Wanamaker, Daniel Theis and Terry Rozier.
- 7/1/19 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/23/19 — Abel Nader trade exception expires.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Robert Williams, Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 2/7/20 — Jabari Bird trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on Gordon Hayward.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Semi Ojeleye.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Robert Williams,
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Guerschon Yabusele.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Robert Williams.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Robert Williams (27th).
- 6/29/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Marcus Smart and Jabari Bird.
- 7/2/18 — Signed Brad Wanamaker to a one-year $838,464 minimum contract.
- 8/5/18 — Signed Robert Williams (2018-27th) to a $9,283,858 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Aron Baynes to a two-year, $10,646,880 contract, player option in final season.
- 7/10/18 — Daniel Theis’ $1,378,242 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,378,242 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/19/18 — Signed Marcus Smart to a four-year $52 million contract.
- 7/23/18 — Traded Abdel Nader and cash $450,000 to Oklahoma City Thunder for Rodney Purvis.
- 7/25/18 — Signed Walter Lemon Jr. to a two-way contract.
- 7/26/18 — Signed Jabari Bird to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,937,614 contract.
- 8/20/18 — Signed P.J. Dozier to a two-way contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Justin Bibbs to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Nicholas King to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/18 — Signed Jeff Roberson to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/1/18 — Signed Marcus Georges-Hunt to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,512,601 minimum summer contract.
- 10/31/18 — Picked up team options on Jayson Tatum, Guerschon Yabusele and Jaylen Brown.
- 1/10/19 — Signed R.J Hunter to a two-way contract.
- 2/7/19 — Traded Jabari Bird and cash (TBD) to the Atlanta Hawks for a protected second-rounder.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Shane Larkin ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Jonathan Gibson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Al Horford — 15 percent
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: TD Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/9/19)