Boston Celtics Team Salary
Quick: Spent over the cap, but can get to $1.2 million if needed
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): $31.4 million
- Room: $2,898,000
Roster Count: 16 guaranteed, four non/partially-guaranteed
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Ben Bentil ($543,471 — $250,000 guaranteed), Marcus Georges-Hunt ($543,471 — $25,000 guaranteed), Jalen Jones ($543,471 — $25,000 guaranteed), Damion Lee ($543,471 — $50,000 guaranteed)
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson
SG: Avery Bradley, Gerald Green, R.J. Hunter, Marcus Georges-Hunt
SF: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, James Young, Jalen Jones, Damion Lee
PF: Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, Ben Bentil
C: Al Horford, Kelly Olynyk, Tyler Zeller
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: Marcus Smart ($4,538,020), James Young ($2,803,507), Terry Rozier ($1,988,520), R.J. Hunter ($1,251,960)
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: Kelly Olynyk
- 10/31/16 — Team options for Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, James Young and R.J. Hunter.
- 10/31/16 — Extension deadline for Kelly Olynyk.
- 12/15/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Marcus Georges-Hunt, Jalen Jones, Damion Lee, Gerald Green and Al Horford.
- 1/10/17 — Marcus Georges-Hunt, Jalen Jones, Damion Lee and Ben Bentil’s $543,471 guarantee for 2016-17.
- 1/15/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tyler Zeller.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kelly Olynyk, Jalen Jones and Marcus Georges-Hunt.
- TBD — Guarantee details for Damion Lee for 2017-18.
- 7/2/17 — Tyler Zeller’s $8,000,000 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 7/15/17 — Demetrius Jackson’s $1,384,750 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 7/15/17 — Jordan Mickey’s $1.3 million guarantees for 2017-18.
- 8/1/17 — Ben Bentil’s $905,249 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 10/31/17 — Extension deadline for Marcus Smart and James Young.
- 10/31/17 — Team options for Terry Rozier, Jaylen Brown and R.J. Hunter.
- 6/29/18 — Team option for Jordan Mickey.
- 6/30/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for James Young, Damion Lee and Marcus Smart.
- 7/1/18 — Demetrius Jackson’s $1,319,500 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Jordan Mickey’s $1.3 million guarantees for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Ben Bentil’s $1,050,262 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Extension deadline for Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Jaylen Brown.
- 6/24/19 — Estimated player option for Demetrius Jackson
- 6/29/19 — Estimated player option for Al Horford.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Terry Rozier, Ben Bentil and R.J. Hunter.
- 7/1/19 — Demetrius Jackson’s $1,319,500 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jaylen Brown.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10.
- 5/31/16 — Signed Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens to contract extensions.
- 6/23/16 — Drafted Jaylen Brown (3rd), Guerschon Yabusele (16th), Ante Zizic (23rd), Demetrius Jackson (45th), Ben Bentil (51st), Abdel Nader (58th)
- 6/23/16 — Traded the rights to Deyonta Davis (31st) and Rade Zagorac (35th) to Memphis Grizzlies for a 2019 Los Angeles Clippers first-rounder.
- 6/29/16 — Issued qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller.
- 6/30/16 — Changed guarantee dates on the contracts of Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko to 7/7/16.
- 7/7/16 — Guaranteed Amir Johnson’s $12.0 million 2016-17.
- 7/7/16 — Guaranteed Jonas Jerebko’s $5.0 million guarantees for 2016-17.
- 7/8/16 – -Rescinded the qualifying offer and then renounced Jared Sullinger.
- 7/8/16 — Signed Al Horford to a four-year, $113.3 million contract, player option in the final season.
- 7/26/16 — Renounced the rights to Luigi Datome.
- 7/26/16 — Signed Demetrius Jackson (2016-45th) to a four-year, partially-guaranteed $5.5 million contract.
- 7/26/16 — Signed Ben Bentil (2016-51st) to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $2.5 million contract.
- 7/27/16 — Signed Tyler Zeller to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $16 million contract
- 7/27/16 — Signed Gerald Green to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.
- 7/27/16 — Signed Jaylen Brown (2016-3rd) to a $4.7 million rookie-scale contract.
- 8/17/16 — Signed Marcus Georges-Hunt to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $543,471 contract.
- 8/25/16 — Renounced the rights to Colton Iverson (2013-53rd).
- 9/12/16 — Signed Damion Lee to a two-year, non/partially-guaranteed $1,448,720 contract
- 9/12/16 — Signed Jalen Jones to a one-year, non/partially-guaranteed $543,471 contract.
Waived Players: John Holland
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Walter McCarty, Micah Shrewsberry
Trainer: Ed Lacerte, Bryan Doo (strength and conditioning)
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- 2017 — Right to swap first-rounders with the Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett)
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Austin Rivers).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett), if in 46-60 range and Boston swaps its first-rounder swapped with Brooklyn.
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Oklahoma City Thunder (Perry Jones III).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight, top-six in 2020 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2019 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to a 2022 second-rounder) from Los Angeles Clippers (Jeff Green, Deyonta Davis), two years following Clippers’ obligation to Toronto Raptors.
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Detroit Pistons (Reggie Jackson, Perry Jones III).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Memphis Grizzlies (Zoran Dragic, Chris Andersen).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Zoran Dragic).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Guerschon Yabusele (2016-16th, cap hold $1,573,500), Ante Zizic (2016-23rd, cap hold $1,151,900)
- Second-rounders: Abdel Nader (2016-58th), Marcus Thornton (2015-45th), Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Al Horford — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
D-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Amnesty: Expired unused.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/26/16)