Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard capped by the Kemba Walker sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to $39.3 million, none if Gordon Hayward and Enes Kanter opt in.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Carsen Edwards, Brad Wanamaker, Tremont Waters (two-way)
SG: Jaylen Brown, Romeo Langford, Javonte Green, Max Strus (two-way)
SF: Gordon Hayward, Grant Williams
PF: Jayson Tatum, Daniel Theis, Semi Ojeleye
C: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier, Robert Williams, Tacko Fall
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $0 (Enes Kanter)
- Tacko Fall $898,310
- Javonte Green $898,310 ($100,000)
Waived Players: Guerschon Yabusele (stretched)
Traded Players: Kyrie Irving (via sign and trade)
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: Tremont Waters, Max Strus
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Scott Morrison, Micah Shrewsberry, Jerome Allen, Kara Lawson, Brandon Bailey, Joe Mazzullato
Performance: Art Horne
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- 2020 — Owed first-rounder (top-six protected in 2020, unprotected in 2021) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2020 — Owed first-rounder (top-eight protected in 2020, unprotected in 2021) from the Milwaukee Bucks (Eric Bledsoe, Ty Jerome).
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Jabari Bird).
- 2020 — Owed the lower second-rounder from the Brooklyn Nets or the New York Knicks, via trade with the Philadelphia 76ers (Anzejs Pasecniks, Timofey Mozgov, Kyrie Irving).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 8/17/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Max Strus.
- 8/24/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tremont Waters.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Robert Williams and Jayson Tatum.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Kemba Walker, Tacko Fall, Javonte Green, Brad Wanamaker, Enes Kanter and Vincent Poirier.
- 1/10/20 — Javonte Green and Tacko Fall’s $898,310 guarantee for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Daniel Theis.
- 6/29/20 — Player options on Gordon Hayward and Enes Kanter.
- 6/29/20 — Team options on Semi Ojeleye, Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- 6/30/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Tacko Fall and Jaylen Brown.
- 7/3/20 — Daniel Theis’ $5 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Jayson Tatum.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Robert Williams,
- 1/10/21 — Javonte Green’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Vincent Poirier.
- 6/29/20 — Team options on Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Carsen Edwards.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 14th (from the Sacramento Kings) pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/12/19 — Aron Baynes opted into his $5,453,280 salary.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Romeo Langford (14th), Matisse Thybulle (20th), Grant Williams (22nd) and Tremont Waters (51st).
- 6/21/19 — Traded the rights to Matisse Thybulle (20th) to the Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Ty Jerome (24th) and Carsen Edwards (33rd).
- 6/29/19 — Extended qualifying offers to Daniel Theis and Terry Rozier. Declined to extend qualifying offer to Brad Wanamaker and Jonathan Gibson.
- 7/1/19 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Renounced the Rights to Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Brad Wanamaker, Jonathan Gibson, PJ Dozier, RJ Hunter and Shane Larkin.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Aron Baynes and the rights to Ty Jerome (24th) to the Phoenix Suns for a 2020 first-rounder (Milwaukee Bucks).
- 7/6/19 — Sent Terry Rozier via sign and trade to the Charlotte Hornets for a 2020 second-rounder and Kemba Walker, also via sign and trade on a four-year $140,790,600 contract.
- 7/10/19 — Waived and stretched the contract of Guerschon Yabusele.
- 7/11/19 — Signed Romeo Langford (2019-14th) to a $16,528,217 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/11/19 — Signed Grant Williams (2019-22nd) to a $11,802,681 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/12/19 — Signed Carsen Edwards (2019-33rd) to a four-year $6,459,309 contract, team option on final season.
- 7/13/19 — Revoked qualifying offer to Daniel Theis.
- 7/13/19 — Signed Vincent Poirier to a two-year $5,125,000 contract.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Daniel Theis to a partially-guaranteed two-year $10 million contract.
- 7/17/19 — Signed Enes Kanter to a two-year $9,772,350 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/17/19 — Re-signed Brad Wanamaker to a one-year $1,445,697 minimum contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Max Strus to a two-way contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Tremont Waters (2019-51st) to a two-way contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Tacko Fall to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Javonte Green to a non/partially-guaranteed $2,416,291 contract.
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
- Kemba Walker — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Arena: TD Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)