Quick: Over the cap. Hard-capped by the Tristan Thompson non-taxpayer mid-level contract.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Jeff Teague, Payton Pritchard, Tremont Waters (two-way), Kemba Walker (injured)
SG: Marcus Smart, Carsen Edwards, Javonte Green, Romeo Langford (injured)
SF: Jaylen Brown, Aaron Nesmith
PF: Jayson Tatum, Grant Williams, Semi Ojeleye
C: Tristan Thompson, Daniel Theis, Robert Williams, Tacko Fall (two-way)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Vincent Poirier, expiring 11/19/21) — $2,619,207
- Trade Exception (Enes Kanter, expiring 11/20/21) — $4,767,000
- Trade Exception (Gordon Hayward, expiring 11/29/21) — $28,500,000
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Tristan Thompson)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Yam Madar (2020-47th).
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Javonte Green $1,517,981 — 2/24/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past 2/24/20.
- Romeo Langford
- Grant Williams
- Robert Williams
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Vincent Poirier, Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward (sign-and-trade)
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Head Coach: Brad Stevens
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Scott Morrison, Jerome Allen, Brandon Bailey, Joe Mazzulla
Training Staff: Phil Coles (executive director of performance), Jace Delaney (director of sports science and athletic development), Ty Yeaton (head strength and conditioning coach)
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — vice president of basketball operations & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — assistant general manager
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- Adam Lewin — college scouting manager
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- 2021 — Owed an second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Oklahoma City Thunder (Vincent Poirier).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Charlotte Hornets (Gordon Hayward).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets (Gordon Hayward).
- 2023 — Owed the better second-rounder from Houston Rockets or the pick from (the lower of the Miami HEAT or Dallas Mavericks).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets (Gordon Hayward).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Desmond Bane).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0 — TBD to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Vincent Poirier)
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/3/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Aaron Nesmith, Payton Pritchard, Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline for Jayson Tatum.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team option on Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jeff Teague and Tristan Thompson.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21 — Javonte Green’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21 if not waived by 5:00 PM Eastern.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jayson Tatum.
- Note: 21-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Jayson Tatum’s poison pill expires.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith, Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Robert Williams.
- 11/19/21 — Vincent Poirier trade exception expires.
- 11/20/21 — Enes Kanter trade exception expires.
- 11/29/21 — Gordon Hayward trade exception expires.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Payton Pritchard, Carsen Edwards and Aaron Nesmith
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- Before the first day of 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Payton Pritchard and Aaron Nesmith.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard.
- 6/29/25 — Jayson Tatum’s player option.
Note: Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but not past 2/24/20.
- 8/12/20 — Signed coach Brad Stevens to a contract extension.
- 10/1/20 — Renounced the rights to Ben Pepper (1997-55th) and Josip Sesar (2000-47th).
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Aaron Nesmith (2020-14th), Payton Pritchard (2020-26th), Desmond Bane (2020-30th) and Yam Madar (2020-47th).
- 11/19/20 — Enes Kanter opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Gordon Hayward opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Opted Semi Ojeleye into the final year of his contract, which remains non-guaranteed.
- 11/19/20 — Issued qualifying offers to Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue Brad Wanamaker a qualifying offer.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Vincent Poirier and cash (TBD) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for a protected 2021 second-rounder.
- 11/20/20 — Traded Desmond Bane (2020-30th) to the Memphis Grizzlies and Enes Kanter to the Portland Trail Blazers for a 2023 second-rounder (from the Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets or Miami Heat) and a 2025 second-rounder.
- 11/21/20 — Daniel Theis’ $5 million guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/21/20 — Semi Ojeleye’s $1,752,950 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Tacko Fall to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Tremont Waters to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/24/20 — Signed Aaron Nesmith (2020-14th) to a $16,528,217 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Payton Pritchard (2020-22nd) to a $10,449,718 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/29/20 — Gordon Hayward (via sign-and-trade), a 2023 second-rounder and a 2024 second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets for a 2022 second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Boston Celtics for . Hayward signed an estimated four-year $120 million contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Jeff Teague to a $2,320,044 minimum contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Tristan Thompson to a two-year $18,978,900 contract.
- Kemba Walker — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Jayson Tatum — $28,816,237 (expiring 8/2/21)
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: TD Garden
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 12/1/20)