Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard capped by the Kemba Walker sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, two player options, one team option, two non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Kemba Walker, Carsen Edwards
SG: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, Javonte Green
SF: Gordon Hayward (PO), Grant Williams
PF: Jayson Tatum, Semi Ojeleye (TO)
C: Daniel Theis, Enes Kanter (PO), Robert Williams, Vincent Poirier
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 14th from the Memphis Grizzlies (unless top-four, $3,458,400 cap hold, Jeff Green), 26th ($2,035,800 cap hold), 30th from the Milwaukee Bucks ($1,936,440 cap hold, Eric Bledsoe, Ty Jerome); 47th from the Brooklyn Nets (Anzejs Pasecniks, Timofey Mozgov, Kyrie Irving); 58th to the Charlotte Hornets
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Daniel Theis $5,000,000 — 10/21/20
- Javonte Green $1,517,981 — (TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: Gordon Hayward (PO, $38,199,000), Semi Ojeleye (TO, $2,023,150)
- Early Bird: Brad Wanamaker ($1,820,564)
- Non-Bird: Enes Kanter (PO, $5,720,400), Tacko Fall (RFA TBD, two-way), Tremont Waters (RFA TBD, two-way)
* Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Semi Ojeleye (TO) $2,023,150
- Brad Wanamaker $1820564
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Jayson Tatum
- Romeo Langford
- Grant Williams
- Robert Williams
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Maine Red Claws
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal; three-year extension added on in May 2016)
Assistants: Jamie Young, Jay Larranaga, Scott Morrison, Micah Shrewsberry, Jerome Allen, Kara Lawson, Brandon Bailey, Joe Mazzullato
Performance: Art Horne
- Danny Ainge — president of basketball operations
- Mike Zarren — assistant general manager & team counsel
- Austin Ainge — director of player personnel
- David Lewin — director of scouting
- Adam Lewin — basketball operations assistant
- David Sparks — director of basketball analytics
- 2020 — Owed a first-rounder (top-six protected in 2020, unprotected in 2021) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 10/15/20 — Player option on Gordon Hayward.
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Player option on Enes Kanter.
- 10/17/20 — Team option on Semi Ojeleye.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jaylen Brown and Brad Wanamaker.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/21/20 — Daniel Theis’ $5 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before the first day of 2020-21 season — Extension deadline for Jayson Tatum.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Grant Williams (revised date TBD).
- 1/10/21 — Javonte Green’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jayson Tatum and Vincent Poirier.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Robert Williams.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Carsen Edwards.
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Romeo Langford and Grant Williams.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
Note: Jaylen Brown has $8 million in unlikely incentives (MVP, Defensive Player of the Year or All-NBA) and $4 million in likely incentives (65 games played, team wins 49 games or if the team reaches the second round of the playoffs).
- 8/12/20 — Signed coach Brad Stevens to a contract extension.
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
- Kemba Walker — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: TD Garden
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/18/20)