Boston Celtics Team Salary
- Mid-Level: $2,027,000 (Evan Turner)
- Bi-Annual: $2,077,000
- Trade Exception (Kris Humphries, expiring 7/19/15) — $1,334,092
- Trade Exception (Keith Bogans, expiring 9/25/15) — $285,816
- Trade Exception (Joel Anthony, expiring 10/19/15) — $152,757
- Trade Exception (Rajon Rondo, expiring 12/18/15) — $12,909,090
- Trade Exception (Dwight Powell, expiring 12/18/15) — $507,336
- Trade Exception (Brandan Wright, expiring 1/9/16) — $500,000 (partially used on Jonas Jerebko)
- Trade Exception (Jameer Nelson, expiring 1/13/16) — $625,280
- Trade Exception (Austin Rivers, expiring 1/15/16) — $689,840 (partially used on Luigi Datome)
- Trade Exception (Marcus Thornton, expiring 2/19/16) — $1,336,394
- Trade Exception (Tayshaun Prince, expiring 2/19/16) — $7,707,865
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed
PG: Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas, Phil Pressey
SG: Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder
SF: Evan Turner, James Young, Gerald Wallace, Luigi Datome
PF: Brandon Bass, Jonas Jerebko, Shavlik Randolph, Jared Sullinger (injured)
C: Tyler Zeller, Kelly Olynyk
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Head Coach: Brad Stevens (hired in 2013 on a six-year, $22 million deal)
- Danny Ainge — President of Basketball Operations
- Mike Zarren — Assistant General Manager & Team Counsel
- Austin Ainge — Director of Player Personnel
- David Sparks — Director of Basketball Analytics
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2015 and 2016, else converts to 2016 and 2017 second-rounders) from Minnesota Timberwolves (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise becomes 2015 and 2016 second-rounders) from Philadelphia 76ers (Arnett Moultrie, Joel Anthony).
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Doc Rivers).
- 2015 — Owed first-rounder (if in four to 14 range for 2015, otherwise top-seven protected through 2020, unprotected in 2021) from Dallas Mavericks (Rajon Rondo).
- 2015 — Owed second-rounder (top-49 protected) from Washington Wizards (Kris Humphries).
- 2015 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyler Zeller).
- 2016 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Joel Anthony).
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder from Dallas Mavericks (Rajon Rondo). Pick could be from Memphis Grizzlies, better pick between Dallas and Memphis goes to Boston.
- 2016 — Owe second-rounder to Memphis Grizzlies (Jerryd Bayless). Pick could go to Utah Jazz (Jarnell Stokes).
- 2017 — Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected, top-12 in 2018, top-eight in 2019, top-six in 2010 and unprotected in 2021) from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green).
- 2017 — Right to swap first-rounders with the Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett)
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Austin Rivers).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett), if in 46-60 range and Boston swaps its first-rounder swapped with Brooklyn.
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
- 6/10/14 — Joel Anthony opted into the final year on his contract.
- 6/26/14 — Selected Marcus Smart (6th) and James Young (17th) in the 2014 NBA Draft.
- 7/5/14 — Signed Marcus Smart to a $14.8 million rookie scale contract.
- 7/10/14 — Traded a future conditional second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton and a protected 2016 second-rounder.
- 7/10/14 — Signed James Young to an $8.1 million rookie scale contract.
- 7/15/14 — Signed Avery Bradley on a four-year, $32 million contract.
- 7/19/14 — Traded Kris Humphries (sign and trade on a three-year, $13.3 million contract) to the Washington Wizards for a protected second-rounder.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Rodney McGruder to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Tim Frazier to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 7/20/14 — Invited Christian Watford to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 9/25/14 — Traded Keith Bogans, a protected 2015 second-rounder and a protected 2017 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for John Lucas III, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, Dwight Powell, a 2015 second-rounder and a 2017 second-rounder.
- 9/28/14 — Signed Evan Turner to a two-year, $6.7 million contract.
- 9/29/14 — Invited Christian Watford to camp on a one-year $507k minimum contract.
- 10/17/14 — Traded Joel Anthony to the Detroit Pistons for Will Bynum
- 10/23/14 — Claimed Jarell Eddie off waivers (Atlanta Hawks).
- 10/29/14 — Picked up Jared Sullinger’s fourth-year option.
- 10/29/14 — Picked up Kelly Olynyk’s third-year option.
- 10/29/14 — Picked up Tyler Zeller’s fourth-year option.
- 12/18/14 — Traded Rajon Rondo and Dwight Powell to Dallas Mavericks for Brandan Wright, Jameer Nelson, Jae Crowder, a 2015 first-rounder and a 2016 second-rounder.
- 1/9/15 — Traded Brandan Wright to Phoenix Suns for a Minnesota Timberwolves’ 2015 first-rounder.
- 1/12/15 — Traded Jeff Green to Memphis Grizzlies for Tayshaun Prince, Austin Rivers, a Grizzlies’ protected 2017 first-rounder and cash.
- 1/13/15 — Traded Jameer Nelson for Nate Robinson.
- 1/15/15 — Traded Austin Rivers to Los Angeles Clippers for Chris Douglas-Roberts, a 2017 second-rounder and from Phoenix Suns, Shavlik Randolph.
- 1/23/15 — Signed Andre Dawkins to a $29.8k, 10-day contract.
- 2/2/15 — Signed Andre Dawkins to a $29.8k, 10-day contract.
- 2/19/15 — Traded Marcus Thornton and a 2016 first-rounder (Cleveland Cavaliers) to Phoenix Suns for Isaiah Thomas.
- 2/19/15 — Traded Tayshaun Prince to Detroit Pistons for Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome.
Waived Players: Chris Babb, Christapher Johnson, Christian Watford, John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy, Christian Watford, Tim Frazier, Rodney McGruder, Jarell Eddie, Will Bynum, Vitor Faverani, Nate Robinson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Andre Dawkins (expired 10-day)
The Celtics have a long list of free agents no longer in the league that represent cap holds which would need to be renounced for Boston to get under the cap (Shaquille O’Neal, Michael Finley, Michael Olowokandi, Stephon Marbury, etc.).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Colton Iverson (2013-53rd), Josip Sesar (2000-47th), Ben Pepper (1997-55th)
Cash Paid ($3.3 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.3 million max): $1,319,236 from Memphis Grizzlies (Jeff Green)
Amnesty: Unused with no remaining eligible players.
The Celtics have $22.7 million in cap holds for players who were not in the league last season, including Shaquille O’Neal, P.J. Brown, Nenad Krstic, Chris Wilcox, Carlos Arroyo, Michael Finley, Scot Pollard, Stephon Marbury, Michael Olowokandi, Dana Barros, Mark Bryant, Roshown McLeod and Grant Long. Renouncing those players to remove the hold is strictly a clerical process.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/5/15)