- Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap and luxury tax.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways, one 10-day
PG: Kyrie Irving, Tyler Johnson, Chris Chiozza (two-way), Spencer Dinwiddie (injured)
SG: James Harden, Landry Shamet
SF: Joe Harris, Bruce Brown Jr, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
PF: Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Nicolas Claxton, Reggie Perry (two-way)
C: LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green, DeAndre Jordan, Alize Johnson (10-day)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Disabled Player Exception (Spencer Dinwiddie, expiring 4/19/21) — $5,727,024
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000
Waived Players: Jordan Bowden, Nate Sestina, Kaiser Gates, Chris Chiozza, Elie Okobo, Paul Eboua, Jeremiah Martin (two-way), Norvel Pelle, Andre Roberson, Iman Shumpert, Noah Vonleh
Traded Players: Dzanan Musa, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Caris LeVert, Rodions Kurucs
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Tyler Cook, Iman Shumpert, Andre Roberson
G-League Affiliate: Long Island Nets (general manager Matt Riccardi, head coach Bret Brielmaier)
Two-Way Contracts: Reggie Perry, Chris Chiozza
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Joe Tsai
- Sean Marks — general manager
- Jeff Peterson — assistant general manager
- Andy Birdsong – assistant general manager
- Ryan Grisriel — director of basketball operations
- Matt Tellem — director of strategic planning
- Andrew Baker — director of contract management
- Logan MacPhail — director of coaching analytics
- Glenn DuPaul — director of basketball analytics
- Rami Antoun — senior developer of basketball systems
- BJ Johnson — coordinator of player evaluation
- J.R. Holden — director of player personnel
- Matt Riccardi — director of scouting operations
Head Coach: Steve Nash
Assistants: Jacque Vaughn, Mike D’Antoni, Ime Udoka, Adam Harrington, Jordan Ott, Tiago Splitter, Royal Ivey, Ryan Forehan-Kelly, Amar’e Stoudemire
Trainers: Lee Gelis (director of sports medicine), Dan Meehan (director of sport science), Sebastien Poirer (head athletic trainer), Stefania Rizzo (director of performance rehabilitation), Andy Barr (physiotherapist), Daniel Liburd (head and strength conditioning coach), Daniel Jones (physical performance coach)
- 2021 — The Houston Rockets have first-round swap rights (James Harden) on a pick from the Oklahoma City Thunder, Miami Heat, Detroit Pistons, Portland Trail Blazers or Rockets
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Atlanta Hawks (Allen Crabbe).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder (top-35 protected) from the Phoenix Suns (Jared Dudley).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder (31-44 range in 2021 and 2022, unprotected in 2023) from the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Charlotte Hornets (Dwight Howard).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the Houston Rockets (James Harden). . May got to the Miami HEAT via Houston (Victor Oladipo).
- 2023 — The Houston Rockets have first-round swap rights (James Harden).
- 2023 — Atlanta Hawks can swap second-rounders (Jeremy Lin), swapping the lower of the Charlotte Hornets (Devonte’ Graham) and the Hawks’ own. May go to the Philadelphia 76ers (Allen Crabbe).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the Houston Rockets (James Harden).
- 2025 — The Houston Rockets have first-round swap rights (James Harden), may come from the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — Owed second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Kevin Durant).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Jeremy Lin).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder to the Houston Rockets (James Harden).
- 2027 — The Houston Rockets have first-round swap rights (James Harden).
Cash Paid ($5,617,00 max): $2.6 million to the Indiana Pacers (Caris LeVert) — $3.017,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 4/11/21 — Alize Johnson’s 10-day contract expires.
- 4/19/21 — Spencer Dinwiddie disabled player exception expires.
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Player option for Spencer Dinwiddie.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Reggie Perry and Bruce Brown Jr.
- Note: 21-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 6/29/22 — Player options for Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 9/3/20 — Hired coach Steve Nash.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Saddiq Bey (2020-19th) and Jayden Scrubb (2020-55th).
- 11/19/20 — Issued Chris Chiozza a one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed) qualifying offer.
- 11/19/20 — Opted Garrett Temple out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Dzanan Musa, the rights to Saddiq Bey (2020-19th) and Jaylen Hands (2019-56th) and a Toronto Raptors 2021 second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons for Bruce Brown Jr., and the rights to Jay Scrubb (2020-55th) to the Los Angeles Clippers for Landry Shamet and the rights to Reggie Perry (2020-57th).
- 11/21/20 — Signed Jeff Green to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Joe Harris to a four-year $74 million contract (including $2 million of unlikely incentives TBD).
- 11/26/20 — Bruce Brown Jr.’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/26/20 — Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot’s salary guaranteed at $150,000 for 2020-21.
- 11/27/20 — Re-signed Tyler Johnson to a $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Reggie Perry (2020-57th) to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed Chris Chiozza to a non-guaranteed minimum $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 12/1/20 — Signed Jordan Bowden to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/1/20 — Signed Nate Sestina a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/2/20 — Jeremiah Martin’s two-way contract guaranteed at $50,000.
- 12/11/20 — Waived Jordan Bowden and Nate Sestina.
- 12/16/20 — Signed Kaiser Gates to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/16/20 — Signed Elie Okobo to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/17/20 — Waived Kaiser Gates.
- 12/18/20 — Claimed Paul Eboua off waivers from the Miami HEAT.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Chris Chiozza, Elie Okobo and Paul Eboua.
- 12/19/20 — Converted Reggie Perry to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline for Jarrett Allen elapsed.
- 12/21/20 — Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot’s guaranteed at $250,000 for 2020-21.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up Landry Shamet’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/22/20 — Waived Jeremiah Martin (two-way).
- 12/22/20 — Re-signed Chris Chiozza to a two-way contract.
- 1/14/21 — Traded Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, the rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov (2017-57th) to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Caris LeVert, Rodions Kurucs, first-rounders in 2022, 2024 and 2026, and swap rights in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 to the Houston Rockets for James Harden and a 2024 second-rounder (the lower of the Utah Jazz and Cavaliers)
- 1/15/21 — Caris LeVert failed his physical, voiding the 1/14/21 trade.
- 1/16/21 — Traded Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, the rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov (2017-57th) to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Rodions Kurucs, first-rounders in 2022, 2024 and 2026, and swap rights in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 to the Houston Rockets. and Caris LeVert and $2.6 million to the Indiana Pacers for James Harden.
- 1/28/21 — Signed Norvel Pelle to a non/partially-guaranteed (TBD) $2,126,991 two-year minimum contract.
- 1/30/21 — Re-signed Iman Shumpert for the rest of the season on a non-guaranteed $1,708,770 minimum contract.
- 2/8/21 — Signed Noah Vonleh for the rest of the season to a non/partially-guaranteed (TBD) $1,361,659 minimum contract.
- 2/16/21 — Waived Norvel Pelle.
- 2/16/21 — Signed Andre Roberson for the rest of the season to a non-guaranteed $1,340,333 minimum contract.
- 2/21/21 — Waived Andre Roberson, Iman Shumpert and Noah Vonleh.
- 2/24/21 — Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot’s $1,824,003 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 2/24/21 — Signed Tyler Cook to a 10-day $99,020 contract.
- 2/26/21 — Signed Iman Shumpert to a 10-day $159,698 contract.
- 2/26/21 — Signed Andre Roberson to a 10-day $148,926 contract
- 3/5/21 — Tyler Cook’s 10-day contract expired.
- 3/7/21 — Iman Shumpert and Andre Roberson’s 10-day contracts expired.
- 3/8/21 — Signed Blake Griffin for the rest of the season to a $1,229,676 minimum contract.
- 3/22/21 — Signed Alize Johnson to a 10-day $110,998 contract.
- 3/28/21 — Signed LaMarcus Aldridge for the rest of the season to an $878,340 minimum contract.
- 4/1/21 — Alize Johnson’s 10-day contract expired.
- 4/1/21 — Re-signed Alize Johnson to a second 10-day $110,998 contract.
No-Trade: Tyler Johnson (One-Year Bird), Blake Griffin (signing restriction)
- Kevin Durant — 15 percent
- Kyrie Irving — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Isaia Cordinier (2016-44th), Juan Pablo Vaulet (2015-39th), Aaron White (2015-49th), Nemanja Dangubic (2014-54th), Christian Drejer (2004-51st)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: None
- Non-Bird: Wilson Chandler ($1,620,564)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Barclays Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/7/21)