Quick: Spent over the cap for 2019-20. Hard capped by the Al-Farouq Aminu signing.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): None
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways, one 10-day
PG: Markelle Fultz, D.J. Augustin (injured), Michael Carter-Williams (injured)
SG: Evan Fournier, Terrence Ross, Melvin Frazier Jr., BJ Johnson (two-way)
SF: Wes Iwundu, Vic Law Aaron Gordon (injured)
PF: Khem Birch, Amile Jefferson, Gary Clark, Al-Farouq Aminu (injured), Jonathan Isaac (injured)
C: Nikola Vucevic, Mohamed Bamba
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Al-Farouq Aminu)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Exceptions would be renounced if the team goes under the cap.
Waived Players: Timofey Mozgov (stretched), Hassani Gravett, Jon Davis, Isaac Humphries, DaQuan Jeffries (claimed by the Sacramento Kings), BJ Johnson, Vic Law
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Josh Magette
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Lakeland Magic (Anthony Parker general manager, Stan Heath coach)
Two-Way Contracts: BJ Johnson, Vic Law
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Steve Clifford
Assistants: Mike Batiste, Tyrone Corbin, Pat Delany, Steve Hetzel, Bruce Kreutzer
Trainers: Ernest Eugene (head athletic trainer), Luke Storey (head strength and conditioning coach), Sameer Mehta (physical therapist), Nathan Spencer (performance and rehabilitation coach), Christian Espinoza (assistant athletic trainer), Chris Gerhard (applied sports scientist), Aki Tajima (Athletic trainer/Manual therapist)
- Jeff Weltman — president of basketball operations
- John Hammond — general manager
- Matt Lloyd — assistant general manager
- Michael Arcieri — director of basketball administration
- George Rodman — basketball operations manager
- Harold Ellis- – head of pro scouting
- Brian Wright — director of college scouting
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Talen Horton-Tucker).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/1/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Amile Jefferson.
- 2/13/20 — Gary Clark’s 10-day contract expires.
- 6/29/20 — Player option deadline for Evan Fournier.
- 6/29/20 – Team option Melvin Frazier Jr.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Wesley Iwundu.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Mohamed Bamba.
- Before first day of the 2020 season — Extension deadline for Jonathan Issac and Markelle Fultz.
- 1/10/21 — Amile Jefferson’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Isaac and Melvin Frazier Jr.
- Before first day of the 2021 season — Extension deadline for Mohamed Bamba.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Mohamed Bamba.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Chuma Okeke (16th) and Talen Horton-Tucker (46th).
- 6/20/19 — Traded the rights to Talen Horton-Tucker (46th) to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 2020 second-rounder and $2,226,778.
- 6/25/19 — Extended qualifying offers to Khem Birch and Amile Jefferson.
- 6/25/19 — Exercised team option on Wes Iwundu.
- 6/29/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offers to Jerian Grant and Jarell Martin.
- 7/6/19 — Waived and stretched Timofey Mozgov.
- 7/7/19 — Re-signed Nikola Vucevic to a four-year $100 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Re-signed Terrence Ross to a four-year $54 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 7/7/19– Signed Al-Farouq Aminu to a three-year $29.1 million contract.
- 7/10/19 — Re-signed Michael Carter-Williams to a $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 7/10/19 — Re-signed Khem Birch to a two-year $6 million contract.
- 7/12/19 — Revoked the qualifying offer to Amile Jefferson.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Josh Magette to a two-way contract.
- 7/30/19 — Re-signed Amile Jefferson to a two-way contract.
- 7/30/19 — Signed Vic Law to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 7/30/19 — Signed DaQuan Jeffries to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/13/19 — Signed Hassani Gravett to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/17/19 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale options on Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac.
- 9/17/19 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on Mo Bamba.
- 9/23/19 — Signed Isaac Humphries to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 9/26/19 — Signed BJ Johnson to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 10/6/19 — Waived Hassani Gravett.
- 10/7/19 — Signed Jon Davis to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Jon Davis, Isaac Humphries, DaQuan Jeffries, BJ Johnson and Vic Law.
- 11/1/19 — Signed Amile Jefferson to a two-year non-guaranteed $3,291,803 minimum contract, ending his two-way.
- 11/4/19 — Signed BJ Johnson to a two-way contract.
- 11/27/19 — Timofey Mozgov’s remaining $16,720,000 removed from the Magic’s cap sheet (injury retirement).
- 1/10/20 — Amile Jefferson’s $1,529,007 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/11/20 — Signed Josh Magette to a 10-day $81,678 contract.
- 1/11/20 — Signed Vic Law to a two-way contract.
- 1/14/20 — Ended Josh Magette’s 10-day.
- 1/14/20 — Signed Gary Clark to a 10-day $81,678 contract.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Vic Law (signing restriction)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Arron Afflalo** ($1,620,564), Marreese Speights** ($1,620,564)
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Chuma Okeke (2019-16th), Fran Vazquez (2005-11th)
- Second-rounders: Justin Jackson (2018-43rd), Janis Timma (2013-60th), Ramon Van De Hare (2003-52nd), Rashard Griffith (1995, 38th)
Arena: Amway Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/16/20)