Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $31 million in cap space, less with the Chicago Bulls’ first-rounder (protections TBD)
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways, one 10-day
PG: Cole Anthony, Michael Carter-Williams, Chasson Randle (two-way), Karim Mane (two-way), Devin Cannady (10-day), Markelle Fultz (injured)
SG: Dwayne Bacon, Terrence Ross, Gary Harris, RJ Hampton
SF: James Ennis, Otto Porter Jr
PF: Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac (injured)
C: Khem Birch, Mohamed Bamba, Wendell Carter Jr
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Disabled Player Exception (Markelle Fultz, expiring 4/19/21) — $6,144,349
- Disabled Player Exception (Jonathan Isaac, expiring 4/19/21) — $3,681,283
- Trade Exception (Evan Fournier, expiring 2/11/22*) — $17,150,000
- Trade Exception (Al-Farouq Aminu, expiring 2/11/22*) — $4,272,060
- Trade Exception (Gary Clark, expiring 2/11/22*) — $2,000,000
- Mid-Level Exception — $3,958,000 (James Ennis, Gary Clark)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
* Exact date TBD
Waived Players: Robert Franks, Devin Cannady, Jon Teske, Jeff Dowtin, Frank Mason III (two-way), Jeff Teague
Traded Players: Evan Fournier, Nikola Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu, Aaron Gordon, Gary Clark
G-League Affiliate: Lakeland Magic (Anthony Parker general manager, Stan Heath coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Chasson Randle, Karim Mane
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Dan DeVos
- Alex Martins — chief executive officer
- Jeff Weltman — president of basketball operations
- John Hammond — general manager
- Pete D’Alessandro — assistant general manager
- Matt Lloyd — assistant general manager
- Becky Bonner — director of player development and basketball operations
Head Coach: Steve Clifford
Assistants: Mike Batiste, Tyrone Corbin, Pat Delany, Steve Hetzel, Bruce Kreutzer, Dylan Murphy, Lionel Chalmers
Trainer: Ernest Eugene (head athletic trainer), Nathan Spencer (head strength and conditioning coach
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2021, top-3 in 2022, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) from the Chicago Bulls (Nikola Vucevic).
- 2022 — Owed an Indiana Pacers second-rounder (Jordan Nwora) a year after the Pacers send a second-rounder to the Brooklyn Nets (2022, 2023 or 2024).
- 2023 — Owed a first-rounder (two years after the 2021 obligation to the Orland Magic, top-4 protected in 2023, top-3 in 2024, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) from the Chicago Bulls (Nikola Vucevic).
- 2025 — Owed a first-rounder (two years after the Denver Nuggets’ obligation to the Oklahoma City Thunder, top-5 protected through 2027, otherwise does not convey) from the Nuggets (Aaron Gordon).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder (the lower of the Memphis Grizzlies and Boston Celtics) from the Celtics (Evan Fournier).
- 2026 — Owed a Milwaukee Bucks 2020 second-rounder (Jordan Nwora).
- 2027 — Owed a second-rounder from the Boston Celtics (Evan Fournier).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 4/16/21 — Devin Cannady’s 10-day contract expires.
- 4/19/21 — Jonathan Isaac and Markelle Fultz disabled player exceptions expire.
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/2021 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/2021 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 8/9/2021 — Dwayne Bacon’s $1,824,003 guarantees for 2021-22 (three days following the last day of the moratorium).
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Chuma Okeke, RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.
- Before the first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Mohamed Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr.
- 2/11/22 — Evan Fournier, Al-Farouq Aminu and Gary Clark trade exceptions expire (exact date TBD).
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Mohamed Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Chuma Okeke, RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Chuma Okeke, RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Chuma Okeke, RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.
- TBD — Markelle Fultz guarantee details for 2023-24.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/16/20 — Evan Fournier opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/16/20 — Signed Chuma Okeke (2019-16th) to a $15,098,193 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/18/20 — Traded a 2020 second-rounder to the Milwaukee Bucks for a 2026 second-rounder and a protected Indiana Pacers 2022 second-rounder (45th).
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Cole Anthony (2020-15th).
- 11/19/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Gary Clark.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to BJ Johnson, Vic Law, Melvin Frazier Jr and Wesley Iwundu.
- 11/19/20 — James Ennis opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Opted Melvin Frazier Jr out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/21/20 — Signed Cole Anthony (2020-15th) to a $15,887,971 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed James Ennis to a $3.3 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Michael Carter-Williams to a two-year $6.6 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Gary Clark to a partially-guaranteed two-year $4.1 million contract.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Dwayne Bacon to a partially-guaranteed two-year $3,502,887 minimum contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Jordan Bone to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Karim Mane to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Robert Franks to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Devin Cannady to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Jon Teske to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/16/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Mo Bamba.
- 12/19/20 — Signed Jeff Dowtin to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Robert Franks, Devin Cannady, Jon Teske and Jeff Dowtin.
- 12/21/20 — Re-signed Markelle Fultz to a partially-guaranteed three-year $53 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 12/21/20 — Re-signed Jonathan Isaac to a four-year 480 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 2/3/21 — Waived Jordan Bone (two-way).
- 2/3/21 — Signed Frank Mason III to a two-way contract.
- 2/15/21 — Waived Frank Mason III (two-way).
- 2/15/21 — Signed Chasson Randle to a two-way contract.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Evan Fournier to the Boston Celtics for Jeff Teague and 2025 (the lower of the Memphis Grizzlies and Celtics) and 2027 second-rounders.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Nikola Vucevic and Al-Farouq Aminu to the Chicago Bulls for Otto Porter Jr, Wendell Carter Jr and a 2021 first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2021, top-3 protected in 2022 otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders and a 2023 first-rounder (two-years after the 2021 obligation, top-4 protected (initially in 2023), then top-3 protected (initially in 2024) otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders).
- 3/25/21 — Traded Aaron Gordon and Gary Clark to the Denver Nuggets for Gary Harris, RJ Hampton and a 2025 first-rounder (two years after the Denver obligation to the Oklahoma City Thunder, top-5 protected through 2027 otherwise does not convey).
- 3/27/21 — Waived Jeff Teague.
- 4/7/21 — Signed Devin Cannady to a 10-day $61,528 contract.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: James Ennis (One-Year Bird)
- Markelle Fultz — $15,572,174 (expiring 8/2/21)
- Jonathan Isaac — $15,392,513 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Fran Vazquez (2005-11th)
- Second-rounders: Justin Jackson (2018-43rd), Janis Timma (2013-60th), Ramon Van De Hare (2003-52nd), Rashard Griffith (1995, 38th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Arron Afflalo*** ($1,620,564), Marreese Speights*** ($1,620,564), Vic Law ($1,445,697)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Amway Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/7/21)