Quick: Over the cap. Hard capped by the DeMarre Carroll sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): Up to $60.9 million, significantly less with DeMar DeRozan’s player option, partial guaranteed salary of LaMarcus Aldridge and other cap holds.
Roster Count: Fifteen guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Dejounte Murray, Patty Mills, Matt Farrell
SG: Derrick White, Bryn Forbes, Marco Belinelli, Lonnie Walker, Quinndary Weatherspoon (two-way), Daulton Hommes
SF: DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Keldon Johnson
PF: Rudy Gay, Trey Lyles, Chimezie Metu, Luka Samanic, Dedric Lawson
C: LaMarcus Aldridge, Jakob Poeltl, Drew Eubanks (two-way)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $3,758,000 (Trey Lyles)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $0 (Used in 2018-19)
- Dedric Lawson $898,310
- Daulton Hommes $898,310
- Matt Farrell $898,310
Waived Players: Jeff Ledbetter
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Austin Spurs (general manager Landry Fields, coach Blake Ahearn)
Two-Way Contracts: Drew Eubanks, Quinndary Weatherspoon
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Gregg Popovich
Assistants: Chip Engelland, Becky Hammon, Will Hardy, Tim Duncan, Mitch Johnson, Darius Songalia (player development assistant)
Trainer: Will Sevening (head athletic trainer), Phil Coles (director of medical services), Paul West (assistant athletic trainer and recovery coordinator), Anthony Falsone (athletic performance coordinator)
- R.C. Buford — president of sports franchises and general manager
- Gregg Popovich — head coach and president of Spurs basketball
- Brian Wright — general manager
- Brent Barry — vice president of basketball operations
- Phil Cullen — director of basketball operations and innovation
- Adam Glessner — senior director of basketball intelligence
- Brandon James — vice president of basketball administration and deputy general counsel
- Dave Telep — director of player personnel
- Niraj Mulji — director of basketball strategy
- Nick Repole — director of research and development
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to Utah Jazz (Boris Diaw).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- First day of 2019 season — Extension deadline on Dejounte Murray.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Jakob Poeltl, Derrick White and Lonnie Walker.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Trey Lyles, Matt Farrell, Daulton Hommes, Dedric Lawson and DeMarre Carroll.
- 1/10/20 — Matt Farrell, Daulton Hommes and Dedric Lawson’s $898,310 guarantee for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rudy Gay.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on DeMar DeRozan.
- 6/29/20 — LaMarcus Aldridge’s $24.0 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on Matt Farrell, Daulton Hommes, Dejounte Murray, Dedric Lawson and Jakob Poeltl.
- 6/30/20 — Trey Lyles’ $5.5 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Chimezie Metu’s salary guarantees at $500,000.
- 10/15/20 — Chimezie Metu’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines on Derrick White and Jakob Poeltl.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Lonnie Walker, Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- Three Days following the NBA Draft or 6/30/21 — DeMarre Carroll’s $7 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Derrick White and Chimezie Metu.
- First day of 2021 season — Extension deadline on Lonnie Walker.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Lonnie Walker.
- Before first day of the 2022 season — Extension deadlines for Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Luka Samanic (19th), Keldon Johnson (29th), Quinndary Weatherspoon (49th).
- 7/1/19 — Signed Luka Samanic (2019-19th) to a $13,030,303 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Keldon Johnson (2019-29th) to a $10,017,385 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/8/19 — Traded Davis Bertans to the Washington Wizards and the draft rights to Nemanja Dangubic (2014-54th) to the Brooklyn Nets for DeMarre Carroll, via sign and trade on a partially-guaranteed three-year $20,650,000 contract, from the Nets.
- 7/8/19 — Signed Quinndary Weatherspoon (2019-49th) to a two-way contract.
- 7/8/19 — Re-signed Rudy Gay to a two-year $32 million contract, incentives TBD.
- 7/8/19 — Signed Trey Lyles to a partially-guaranteed two-year $11 million contract.
- 7/22/19 — Signed Dedric Lawson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/14/19 — Signed Daulton Hommes to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/12/19 — Signed Jeff Ledbetter to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/24/19 — Waived Jeff Ledbetter.
- 9/24/19 — Signed Matt Farrell to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
- LaMarcus Aldridge — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Donatas Motiejunas ($1,620,5646), Dante Cunningham ($2,984,400), Quincy Pondexter ($1,620,564), Joffrey Lauvergne* ($1,620,564), David Lee* ($1,618,486), Matt Costello* (two-way), Darrun Hilliard* (two-way), Ben Moore (two-way)
*Did not play in the most recent season, cannot be included in a sign-and-trade.
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Nikola Milutinov (2015-26th)
- Second-rounders: Cady Lalanne (2015-55th), Adam Hanga (2011-59th), Giorgos Printezis (2007-58th), Erazem Lorbek (2005-46th), Viktor Sanikidze (2004-42nd), Sergei Karaulov (2004-58th), Robertas Javtokas (2001-55th)
Arena: AT&T Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/28/19)