In this guide, we will help you find the best Texas sports betting site by providing research-backed recommendations for the top bookmakers that accept wagers from US residents.
We’ll answer the question, “is sports betting in Texas legal?” and point out the obstacles that lie ahead on the road to full legalization. At the end of the piece, we offer short reviews of our top-recommended bookies, along with answers to common questions about betting and gambling in Texas.
Best Texas Sportsbooks Ranked
The Best Texas Online Sports Betting Sites List 2021
The following are, in our opinion, the best Texas sportsbooks for amateur punters and high rollers alike. Each site is licensed by a renowned e-gaming organization and was vetted for compliance with security and safety best-practices:
- MyBookie – Best overall Texas sports betting site
- Bovada – Excellent bonus for Bitcoin deposits
- BetUS – Best overall welcome promotions
- Intertops – Competitive lines
- Sportsbetting.ag – Texas sports betting site with great eSports coverage
- BetOnline – Very high deposit limits
- 5Dimes – More than 1,100 wagering options
- BetNow – Great integrated prop bet builder
- XBet – Good mix of international sports
- Betanysports – prompt withdrawals & reliable support team
Best Texas Sportsbooks Reviewed
1. MyBookie – Best Overall Texas Sports Betting Site
MyBookie sportsbook was launched in the mid-2010s. The company holds a valid gambling license from Costa Rica and is among the most popular digital destinations for Texas-based betting enthusiasts.
MyBookie offers lines on all popular disciplines. You’ll find plenty of action on basketball, football, soccer, MMA, boxing, hockey, baseball, darts, martial arts, and over a dozen other sports. Betting opportunities span all the major events, including the NBA, PBA, NBL, and NFL, as well as minor exotic competitions. If you’ve heard of it, it’s probably available at MyBookie.
Particularly worth highlighting is the bookmaker’s League of Legends market depth, which is, hands down, the best we’ve ever seen. Enjoy betting options on the Balkan Fortuna, Polish Ultraliga, Italian PG, Spanish Superliga, Riot Gaming’s TCL and LLA, UK’s Dreamhack, and much more. If LoL is your e-gaming specialty, you’re bound to find a comfy home at MyBookie.
To spice things up, the sportsbook offers up to $500 in welcome bonuses to new customers and has made our list of the best high limit sportsbooks available to US-based customers. Combined, the above features make MyBookie the top Texas sports betting site.
- A large variety of sports to bet on
- Excellent welcome bonus
- Exceptional Basketball and LoL coverage
- Prompt payments
- One of the best-reduced juice betting sites
- Residents of NV, NY, and NJ can’t participate
2. Bovada – Fantastic Bitcoin Bonus
If you have any online sports betting experience, then chances are you’ve heard of Bovada. This sportsbook was established by Calvin Ayre in the early 2010s and is currently one of the most recognizable betting brands in the US.
Like MyBookie, Bovada features an extensive catalog of traditional sports betting options. Whether you prefer major US leagues or would rather explore obscure Asian and African competitions, Bovada will spoil you for choice with a range of moneyline, three-way, spread, total, future, and prop bets.
The story is the same for eSports, with Bovada serving early odds on a mix of popular video gaming competitions. Whether you prefer CS: GO, LoL, Valorant, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, there’s plenty of action at favorable odds.
The icing on the cake – or perhaps the cake itself – is the $750 welcome bonuses granted to first-time Bitcoin depositors. That’s one of the best crypto-exclusive introductory offers we’ve seen, so if you’re looking to fund your account using BTC, Bovada should be your top consideration.
- Excellent web and mobile applications
- Extensive market coverage
- Unmatched Bitcoin deposit bonus
- Launched with US bettors in mind
- Lines for traditional sports events can be late
3. BetUS – Best Welcome Bonus Package Overall
BetUS is one of the oldest sportsbooks that accept wagers from Texas-based punters. Launched in 1994, the betting provider offers a safe and legal gambling experience backed by a Costa Rica gambling license.
As you might expect, BetUS caters to fans of all sports popular in the United States. Whether you’re a football, martial arts, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, or ice-hockey fan, you’ll find numerous lines and markets to choose from.
Conversely, if you’re more into eSports betting, BetUS has you covered with a range of odds on League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Dota, and even Tekken.
BetUS offers one of the most generous promotions in the world, one that effectively amounts to $2,500 in sports-exclusive bonuses. What’s more, if you’re willing to make several cryptocurrency payments, you can claim upwards of $7,500 in additional bonus funds, paid out over several installments. When it comes to Texas sports betting bonuses, BetUS should definitely remain on your radar.
- Unbeatable welcome bonus value
- Speedy withdrawals
- Well-rounded sports and market coverage
- Over two and a half decades in the business
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
4. Intertops – Great Odds for Football & Basketball
Intertops’ roots date back to 1996. The pioneering bookmaker is headquartered in Antigua and is famous for accepting the first online sports betting wager.
All the standard sports disciplines are well represented in the sportsbook’s catalog. Be it martial arts, soccer, hockey, tennis, darts, Formula 1, cycling, or cricket, you won’t be complaining about a shortage of betting options at Intertops.
Another reason why we like Intertops is its solid eSports coverage: you can bet on Call of Duty, LoL, CS: GO, Overwatch, and Dota tournaments and competitions, with generous lines that provide ample opportunity for sharp bettors to extract value.
The main downside to Intertops is its mediocre welcome bonus, which currently sits at $200. That’s a shame. Intertops’ bonus feels like more of an afterthought than a genuine attempt to attract new players. In fact, the relative inadequacy of the welcome promotion is the main reason Intertops failed to rank closer to the top of our list.
- Great reputation and longevity
- Solid sports and eSports offering
- Convenient mobile-optimized application
- Wide range of payment options
- Below-average welcome bonus
5. Sportsbetting.ag – Excellent eSports coverage
Sportsbetting.ag was launched in 1999. After an initial rough start involving delayed payouts and numerous user complaints, the sportsbook was acquired by BetOnline group, which quickly restored the reputation and solvency of the bookie. If you’re looking for safe sports betting in Texas, Sportsbetting.ag is just as good as any other provider.
The bookmaker’s platform enables you to wager on major and exotic markets in the most popular sports disciplines. Basketball, hockey, baseball, tennis, cricket, cycling, American and European football, swimming, Olympics events, darts, and martial arts of various origins are very well covered.
Sportsbetting.ag’s e-Sports portfolio goes beyond the basics. You’ll find lines on Call of Duty, Dota 2, Valorant, LoL, FIFA, CS: GO, Overwatch, Warcraft 3, and King of Glory. If eSports betting is your niche, we believe this sportsbook should be at the top of your list.
If you’ve never held an account with Sportsbetting.ag, the bookmaker will treat you to a generous welcome bonus worth up to $1,000 – well above the market average of around $500. You’ll also find plenty of reload and recurring bonuses at this bookie, so it pays to use your betting account actively.
- Competitive welcome bonus
- Great eSports coverage
- An impressive set of promotions
- BetOnline subsidiary
- Dated app design
- 7.5% fee on credit card transactions
Texas Sportsbooks Comparison
Here are how the best sportsbooks for sports betting in Texas match up against one another.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $500
|Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1,000||BVD1000||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $250
|BOL1000 LIFEBONUS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
|Sportsbetting.ag||50% deposit match up to $1,000
25% reload bonus up to $250
|Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $200
100% deposit match up to $100
200% deposit match up to $50
|NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
Is Sports Betting Legal in Texas?
Although it isn’t illegal for state residents to wager at offshore sportsbooks, Texas laws explicitly prohibit sports betting companies from operating within state lines. This restriction may change if the likes of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban have their way, but until that happens, you can safely and legally bet with any of the overseas sportsbooks we recommend above.
Because The Lone Star State doesn’t issue sports betting licenses, the only sportsbooks you can legally bet with online are offshore ones – hence the reason why the likes of FanDuel (etc.) don’t feature in our top 10.
Offshore sites are absolutely fine though: they’ve been a go-to for American bettors for years. Our top recommendation for online sports betting in Texas is, of course, MyBookie.
Still, all bookmakers we listed earlier offer a seamless and regulated betting service, so you can register and deposit confidently with any of them. As a reminder, here are our top-five favorite offshore bookies:
Land-based betting in Texas
Unfortunately, the ban on Texas online sports betting services extends to land-based operations. As of mid-2021, there are no physical betting shops anywhere in Texas – at least not legal ones.
If you’re looking to place wagers at a physical sportsbook, consider traveling across to a nearby state with regulated sports betting, such as New Mexico and Arkansas.
One surprising but welcome exception is social betting. Section 47 of the state’s Penal Code imposes no sanctions for betting or gambling with friends, as long as there is a “legitimate social relationship” between participants. There’s also no limit imposed on the maximum stake.
Keep in mind that bookmakers operating from within Texas state lines violate regional laws, so if you hear of a local organization accepting wagers, please remain cautious.
Along with greyhound betting, horse race betting is one of the few sports you can wager on locally. The Texas Gaming Commission oversees several race betting facilities, notably Lone Star Park and Sam Houston Race Park.
Please remember that you must place all horse racing wagers physically at the establishment, as Texas laws prohibit racetrack operators from offering advance deposit wagering (ADW) applications of any kind.
Timeline of Texas Sports Betting Legislation
Texas has always been on the lower end of the sports-betting-regulation spectrum. The sluggish pace likely stems from a combination of deep-rooted baptist culture and multiple constitutional hurdles that make it exceedingly difficult for a Senate or House member to push through a Texas sports betting bill.
Here are a few examples illustrating that difficulty:
- July 2021: lawmakers, led by Dan Patrick, extinguish all efforts by gaming companies to legalize Texas online sports betting. The issue is tabled until at least 2023.
- March 2021: Christopher Gerlacher of Gaming Today magazine said: “no matter how many sports betting bills are introduced, the bills will likely die in committee” due to unmovable obstacles inherent to local laws and traditions.
- February 2021: in a public statement, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced that legal sports betting in Texas “won’t see the light of day.”
This strict stance clashes with the Texas sports scene, which is chock full of distinguished teams with a die-hard following.
So, when will sports betting be legal in Texas? Right now, it’s hard to say with any certainty.
If you are a resident of the Lone Star State, we encourage you to locate your representative and contact them to express your support for legal Texas sports betting.
Offshore Sports Betting in Texas
Because Texas laws don’t outright prohibit offshore sites, you won’t be prosecuted for registering and wagering with a sportsbook located outside the US. As long as you choose a reputable bookmaker licensed in a respected jurisdiction, you can bet safely with any of the top Texas sports betting sites we recommend above.
Nevertheless, when signing up and depositing with an overseas provider, it’s important to perform your due diligence and keep a few best practices in mind:
- There are many fraudulent sportsbooks out there. Luckily, most of them are relatively easy to spot: they have a poor website design, their bonus terms and conditions are too good to be true, and they aren’t licensed by any reputable gaming organization. The easiest way to avoid donating your money to a dishonest offshore provider is to register with one of our recommended best online sportsbooks.
- Some offshore sportsbooks may report your winnings to the IRS.
- The more sportsbooks you sign up and deposit with, the higher your chances of finding value lines and betting options for your preferred markets. We recommend that you register accounts with at least three reputable sportsbooks to start reaping the benefits of variety.
If you’re looking for safe and reliable Texas sports betting sites, check out the sportsbooks we feature on this age, all of which offer a huge range of markets, generous promos and fast payouts.
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Legal in Texas?
The legal status of DFS in the state is complicated. Still, the top four DFS providers in the United States – FanDuel, DraftKings, Yahoo, and Fantasy Draft – all accept real-money wagers from Texas residents. Importantly, there are no public records of citizens being arrested or prosecuted by the authorities for participating in a Daily Fantasy Sports contest.
Casino Laws in Texas
With a few exceptions that we discuss below, online and offline gambling are currently illegal in Texas.
The situation with online gambling is similar to the one with online sports betting in Texas: betting with offshore sportsbooks is OK, but operating casinos in Texas is not.
If you’re looking to gamble with an overseas online casino, we recommend the following providers:
- Bovada casino
- BetUS Casino
- BetOnline Casino
- Intertops Casino
When it comes to gambling at brick-and-mortar establishments, you have three legal options:
- State-run raffles and lotteries, such as the Lotto Texas and Mega Millions
- Indian casinos. Because these casinos are located on land belonging to Indian tribes, these venues lie outside Texan jurisdiction. There are currently two active Indian casinos: the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino in Eagle Pass, and the Naskila Gaming casino in Livingston.
- Casino cruise ships. The most popular boat, Jacks or Better Casino, is based in Galveston and routinely sails several miles out into the Gulf of Mexico, where the prohibitive Texas gambling laws don’t apply. There you can spend some quality time playing blackjack, roulette, craps, three card poker, slots, and video poker.
Gambling Tax in Texas
Gambling winnings in Texas are subject to a 24% tax. Most winnings that exceed $5,000 are subject to income tax withholding, which means that the responsibility for paying taxes levied on these winnings rests on the gambling provider.
Texas is among the most conservative US jurisdictions when it comes to gambling and sports betting regulations. Luckily, state laws don’t criminalize betting with offshore sports sites, so you can open an account with any of our recommended bookies, make a safe deposit, and start betting legally today.
If you’re looking to start sports betting in Texas, you can create an account with MyBookie today to claim your $1,000 welcome bonus and place your first bet!
Is online sports betting legal in Texas?
When will Texas legalize sports betting?
If sports betting is illegal in Texas, how can I bet online?
Are online casinos legal in Texas?
What sports betting apps are legal in Texas?
How can I keep up with Texas sports betting news?
NBA Team Salaries
- Iman Shumpert receives perfect score on Dancing with the Stars
- Warriors vs. Thunder: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- 76ers vs. Knicks: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Paul George’s Growth is Key for the Clippers
- 2022 NBA Draft Odds – First Three Overall Picks – Early Projected Selections