While Texas sports betting still isn’t officially legal, this isn’t stopping citizens of the Lone Star State from getting into sports betting. Offshore sportsbooks are legal in Texas. If this is your first foray into virtual sports wagering, this article walks you through the top sports betting sites and more.
So, if you are pondering, why do you need to read this? Consider this article highlights the top ten online sportsbooks for Texans to spend their hard-earned money. Also, we unveil some elite sports promotions and compare these world-class offshore sportsbooks.
Timeline: Legal Texas Sports Betting Movements
Texas has always been on the lower end of the sports-betting-regulation spectrum. The sluggish pace likely stems from a combination of deep-rooted baptist culture and multiple constitutional hurdles that make it exceedingly difficult for a Senate or House member to push through a Texas sports betting bill.
Here are a few examples illustrating that difficulty:
- February 2022: according to Ben Fawkes, the vice president of digital content for the Vegas Stats and Information Network quotes: “Texas sports betting could produce revenue numbers similar to New York once legalization occurs in the Lone Star State.”
- January 2022: prominent sports betting attorney, Daniel Wallach, after attending (NCLGS), states: “‘I really believe there’s an opportunity here to pass sports betting in 2023. If you present it to the voters in the right way, it’s gonna pass. It will pass.”
- November 2021: Austin, Texas is the site of the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States (NCLGS).
- November 2021: The Las Vegas Review Journal reports that Las Vegas Sanders Corp hires lobbyists to promote the good of legalized Texas sports betting.
- July 2021: lawmakers, led by Dan Patrick, extinguish all efforts by gaming companies to legalize Texas online sports betting. The issue is tabled until at least 2023.
- March 2021: Christopher Gerlacher of Gaming Today magazine said: “no matter how many sports betting bills are introduced, the bills will likely die in committee” due to unmovable obstacles inherent to local laws and traditions.
- February 2021: in a public statement, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced that legal sports betting in Texas “won’t see the light of day.”
- February 2021: The Sports Betting Alliance, comprised of five professional teams is formed. The aim is to amend Texas’ constitution for sports betting.
- January 2021: Texas state representative, Harold Dutton, introduces Bill 1121 to regulate Texas sports betting.
- November 2020: Las Vegas Sanders Corp. hires lobbyists to push Texas to open casinos.
- 2019: Texas state representative, Eddie Lucio, introduces a bill to legalize sports betting in Texas.
This strict stance clashes with the Texas sports scene, which is chock full of distinguished teams with a die-hard following.
So, when will sports betting be legal in Texas? Right now, it’s hard to say with any certainty.
If you are a resident of the Lone Star State, we encourage you to locate your representative and contact them to express your support for legal Texas sports betting.
The Best Texas Sports Betting Sites Ranked
Best Texas Sportsbooks
The Best Online Sports Betting Texas Sites List 2022
The following are, in our opinion, the best Texas sportsbooks for amateur punters and high rollers alike. Each site is licensed by a renowned e-gaming organization and was vetted for compliance with security and safety best practices:
- BetOnline – Best overall Texas sports betting site
- XBet – Good mix of international sports
- Bovada – Excellent bonus for Bitcoin deposits
- MyBookie – Many different promotions for Texas sports betting fans
- BetUS – Best Texas sports betting site for crypto bonus
- BUSR – Top Texas sportsbook for horse racing
- Sportsbetting.ag – Texas sports betting site with great eSports coverage
- EveryGame – Competitive lines
- BetNow – Quick and simple to sign up
- BetAnySports – Good NBA lines
Best Offshore Sports Betting Sites for Texas
Until Texas’ congress formally passes legalized sports betting, Texans can turn to high-profile online sportsbooks. We break down the notable and rewarding offshore sportsbook venues and highlight remarkable sports bonuses.
1. BetOnline – Best Texas Sports Betting Site Overall
Anyone who has been around in the world of online betting will be familiar with the name BetOnline. This site and sportsbook is synonymous with high-quality betting markets, competitive welcome bonuses, and first-to-market types of bets on offer. It’s been around since the early days of the 2000s and is one of the top 50 biggest betting sites by wager volume.
Players who sign up today can grab themselves a $1,000 matched deposit bonus with their first deposit, making it a great way to increase your bankroll and make sure that all the bets you want to place, are put down. The site has a wide range of bets, from intricate esports titles like CS:GO, all the way to some of the best NCAA basketball bets that players may not even be familiar with yet.
As such, the site is very on-the-ball when it comes to its tech. It’s one of the few sites that handle cryptocurrency well by accepting a wide range including the likes of Dogecoin and Ripple, while still making the effort to payout in crypto too.
- Competitive welcome bonus
- Great esports coverage
- An impressive set of promotions
- PayPal isn’t accepted
2. XBet – Texas Sports Betting with a Variety of Wagering Options
We wouldn’t be doing XBet justice if we didn’t list them in the top four for our best Texas online betting sites. While being relatively new, XBet has managed to fit in really well by bringing people to their sites with their generous mix of welcome bonuses. Players can grab a 100% matched deposit bonus up to $500 if they plan to do any sports betting at the site.
In addition to that, those that want to delve further into the world of betting sites can put money on the horses, or can simply sit and play slot games, blackjack or roulette for hours. These games will all also carry their own promotions, independent of the sports betting one.
The primary focus on sports betting in Texas seems to be for the NFL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, and NHL markets. Whether you’re betting on the Houston Texans, the Dallas Cowboys, the Houston Rockets, or even the San Antonio Spurs, rest assured that XBet will have all punters covered. As far as casino games go, players will be able to experience a number of top Betsoft slots including games like Good Girl Bad Girl, and many different table game varieties.
- Solid sports and eSports offering
- Convenient mobile-optimized application
- Wide range of payment options
- Not as many titles offered
3. Bovada – Best Texas Sportsbook for Bitcoin Bonus
If you have any Texas online sports betting experience, then chances are you’ve heard of Bovada. This sportsbook was established by Calvin Ayre in the early 2010s and is currently one of the most recognizable betting brands in the US.
Like MyBookie, Bovada features an extensive catalog of traditional sports betting options. Whether you prefer major US leagues or would rather explore obscure Asian and African competitions, Bovada will spoil you for choice with a range of moneyline, three-way, spread, total, future, and prop bets.
The story is the same for eSports, with Bovada serving early odds on a mix of popular video gaming competitions. Whether you prefer CS: GO, LoL, Valorant, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, there’s plenty of action at favorable odds.
The icing on the cake – or perhaps the cake itself – is the $750 welcome bonuses granted to first-time Bitcoin depositors. That’s one of the best crypto-exclusive introductory offers we’ve seen, so if you’re looking to fund your account using BTC, Bovada should be your top consideration.
- Excellent web and mobile applications
- Extensive market coverage
- Unmatched Bitcoin deposit bonus
- Launched with US bettors in mind
- Lines for traditional sports events can be late
4. MyBookie – Plenty to Choose From: Texas Sports Betting Promo Codes
MyBookie sportsbook was launched in the mid-2010s. The company holds a valid gambling license from Costa Rica and is among the most popular digital destinations for Texas online sports betting folk.
MyBookie offers lines on all popular disciplines. You’ll find plenty of action on basketball, football, soccer, MMA, boxing, hockey, baseball, darts, martial arts, and over a dozen other sports. Betting opportunities span all the major events, including the NBA, PBA, NBL, and NFL, as well as minor exotic competitions. If you’ve heard of it, it’s probably available at MyBookie.
Particularly worth highlighting is the bookmaker’s League of Legends market depth, which is, hands down, the best we’ve ever seen. Enjoy betting options on the Balkan Fortuna, Polish Ultraliga, Italian PG, Spanish Superliga, Riot Gaming’s TCL and LLA, UK’s Dreamhack, and much more. If LoL is your e-gaming specialty, you’re bound to find a comfy home at MyBookie.
To spice things up, the sportsbook offers up to $500 in welcome bonuses to new customers and has made our list of the best high limit sportsbooks available to US-based customers. Combined, the above features make MyBookie the top Texas sports betting site.
- A large variety of sports to bet on
- Excellent welcome bonus
- Exceptional Basketball and LoL coverage
- Prompt payments
- One of the best-reduced juice betting sites
- Residents of NV, NY, and NJ can’t participate
5. BetUS – Best Texas Sports Betting Site for Bonuses & Promotions
BetUS is one of the oldest sportsbooks that accept wagers from Texas-based punters. Launched in 1994, the betting provider offers a safe and legal betting experience backed by a Costa Rica gambling license.
As you might expect, BetUS caters to fans of all sports popular in the United States. Whether you’re a football, martial arts, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, or ice-hockey fan, you’ll find numerous lines and markets to choose from.
Conversely, if you’re more into eSports betting, BetUS has you covered with a range of odds on League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Dota, and even Tekken.
BetUS offers one of the most generous promotions in the world, one that effectively amounts to $2,500 in sports-exclusive bonuses. What’s more, if you’re willing to make several cryptocurrency payments, you can claim upwards of $7,500 in additional bonus funds, paid out over several installments. When it comes to Texas sports betting bonuses, BetUS should definitely remain on your radar.
- Unbeatable welcome bonus value
- Speedy withdrawals
- Well-rounded sports and market coverage
- Over two and a half decades in the business
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
More on gambling in Texas…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Texas our expert guides below:
Comparing Sports Betting Texas Sites
Here are how the best Texas sportsbooks for sports betting match up against one another.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $200||ROOKIE50||NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1,000||BVD1000||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000||MYBY 50||Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not Required||Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000||BOL1000 LIFEBONUS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
Who can Bet on Sports in Texas
Offshore sports betting sites like Sportsbetting.ag accept global players into their virtual lobby, including Texans. Each site may have different age requirements, but at the minimum, gamblers from the Banner State must be 18 years old.
When creating a new account at your preferred Texas sportsbook, the registration is a short process, but make sure to read the terms and conditions for extra stipulations. In addition, each online site reserves the right to ask its members for proof of age upon registration to prevent minors from signing up.
Another reason for Texans to read the terms and conditions before signing up is to ensure that you’re not violating any rules. Ex-pat Texas residents should ensure that the country they are currently living in is allowed in their chosen sportsbook.
How to Bet on Sports in Texas
Texans turning to an offshore sportsbook can easily place an array of bets. We take you step by step on opening an account and getting into the lucrative sports action. The below steps apply to personal computers, Android devices, and iPhones and assumes you are of legal age.
1. Find the Join or Registration Button
All offshore sportsbooks have a registration section. Texas sports betters can easily find a join or registration button usually on the top of the screen. In addition, there might be a separate mobile section for Texans using portable devices to register, depending on the particular site. Before submitting your registration application, most sites require you to check the terms and conditions box.
2. Submit A Credit Card Authorization Form
All the sportsbooks touted in this article permit credit card deposits. However, unlike cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and major e-wallets like Neteller and Skrill, credit cards sometimes can’t be used immediately. Instead, credit card casinos require new members to fill out a credit card authorization form for the respective cashier’s approval.
3. Check for Sports Promotions
Online gamblers from Texas can utilize the offshore betting site’s sports bonuses to their winning advantage. Before submitting your bet slip, we recommend checking out the promotions area. Bovada currently offers a $250 sports welcome bonus.
4. Brush Up on the Sports Betting Glossary and the Bet Slip
Offshore sportsbooks offer different ways to place sports wagers. For example, Texas sports bettors can place parlay, teaser, and straight bets on their bet slip.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Texas?
Although it isn’t illegal for state residents to wager at offshore sportsbooks, Texas laws explicitly prohibit sports betting companies from operating within state lines. This restriction may change if the likes of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban have their way, but until that happens, you can safely and legally bet with any of the overseas sportsbooks we recommend above.
Since The Lone Star State doesn’t issue sports betting licenses, the only sportsbooks you can legally bet with online are offshore ones – hence the reason why the likes of FanDuel (etc.) don’t feature in our top 10.
Offshore sites are absolutely fine though: they’ve been a go-to for American bettors for years. Our top recommendation for online sports betting in Texas is, of course, BetOnline. One day when Texas legal sports betting is something that people enjoy, then we’ll update our list!
So is sports betting legal in Texas? You bet it is!
When will Sports Betting be Legal in Texas?
Currently, the earliest that Texas sports betting could become legal is in 2023. And, according to Las Vegas Sands’ senior vice president, Andy Abboud: “the legislative session has been a success… things are already looking up for the industry.” The NFL’s Dallas Cowboys, America’s Team, is partnered with the WinStar World Casino.
January, 2023, the Earliest to Try to Legalize Sports Betting in Texas
The earliest that Texas’s state legislature can convene to take up Texas sports betting is January 10th, 2023. Texas’s state congress only meets two months out of the year. The Sports Betting Alliance is pushing for a bill to make the ballot in November 2023.
Should this sports bill pass, the earliest that Texas sports betting can become legal is January 1st, 2024. According to ABC 13 in Houston, the Lone Star State generated approximately $5 billion in illegal sports bets last year.
Supporters and Opponents of 2023’s Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in Texas
Organizations like Las Vegas Sands and the Sports Betting Alliance are fierce advocates for legalized sports betting in Texas. In addition, Texas’ professional sports teams continue lending their voice to the passage of a sports betting bill. But the long-time Texas Republican Congress continues to vote against organized sports betting in Texas.
Las Vegas Sands and Sports Betting Alliance continue to lobby for Texas to pass a sanctioned bill finally. Phil Cox, a confidant of Texas Governor Greb Abbott, believes Abbott is opening up to legalizing sports betting. Abbott was staunchly opposed to this since becoming governor in 2015.
For decades, Texas has been a Republican stronghold, and conservative lawmakers consistently voted against Texas sports betting. The current Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick, continues to lobby against the passage of legalized Texas sports betting.
Lt. Governors under the Texas constitution has special powers over the state senate. Thus, it can influence for or against organized sports betting in Texas.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Texas
The battle for legalized Texas sports betting has been going on since at least 2018. There have been many determined and failed bills. We shine a light on the recent bills to make Texas sports betting legal.
- HB 1275 is brought forward by Rep. Eddie Lucio to regulate sports betting in Texas. The Texas legislature votes against it.
- Texas State representative Harold Dutton brings forward Bill 1121 to legalize Texas sports betting. This bill dies in the committee.
- Advocates for sanctioned Texas sports betting miss the deadline to have a bill on the ballot.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Texas
Because sports betting isn’t currently legal, there is no tax on sports winnings from Texans. However, residents of the Banner State might have to pay taxes on gambling winnings from outside of Texas.
Payment Methods available at Texas Betting Sites
It is incumbent on online sportsbooks to feature a bevy of deposit options. From credits cards, eWallets, and cryptocurrencies, the Basketball Insiders walks you through these user-friendly banking methods.
Crypto Betting Options
Bitcoin is arguably the premier cryptocurrency in the world. So popular is this blockchain technology that there is a burgeoning legion of Bitcoin sportsbooks. Bovada offers an exclusive $3,750 Bitcoin welcome package. BetOnline also provides Bitcoin to its members. Some sophisticated sportsbook sites also have Bitcoin Cash as a deposit option.
e-Wallet Betting Options
Prominent eWallets like PayPal, Neteller, and Skrill are common in online sportsbooks. Texans wanting to bet on offshore sites can quickly set up an eWallet. They are free to use as well. Sportsbooks might also offer exclusive banking promotions for using eWallets.
Traditional Payment Methods at Texas Betting Sites
Credit cards remain the standard-bearer for banking options. All the offshore sportsbooks mentioned here provide credit card deposits for Texans. Some of these sportsbook bastions might require their members to have an authorized credit card form. Visa and MasterCard are the normal credit options, but sites like BetOnline and BetNow provide American Express.
Bonuses available at Texas Betting Sites
There’s no shortage of lucrative bonuses awaiting Texas sports betters. From generous welcome packages to sports reload bonuses, we walk you through the mechanics of these betting prizes.
The Welcome Package
Next to no deposit bonuses, the welcome package is for new sportsbook members. After successfully registering, Texas sports bettors must make a deposit to initiate the starter prize. It is typical for the welcome promo to have a matching bonus, usually 100%, but it might also contain free spins.
Sites like Bovada might have multiple welcome prizes for sports, slot games, poker games, and table games. It is always wise to read the sportsbook’s terms and conditions to properly use the welcome starter before it expires.
Free Bets Rewards
Offshore sportsbooks usually have free bets promotions. Sportsbooks like BetUS offer matching bonuses and horse racing rebates to assist free bets. Please check the site’s promo section or the internet for them.
Matching, Rebate and Reload Bonuses
Typical online sites have daily promotions. This consists of a combination of matching, rebate and reload bonuses. Some days might offer a fixed matching deposit rate or a flexible one based on the user’s total deposit.
Elite sportsbooks like the ones mentioned in this article, normally have a sports reload bonuses to provide extra sports betting incentives. BetOnine, for example, delivers a 25% sports reload bonus up to $250. The code for this prize is LIFEBONUS. Members here must deposit at least $50.
Offshore venues like BetNow, deliver a 10% weekly rebate for wagering on horse racing. The weekly rebate might also apply to slot and table games.
More sites are turning to alternative currencies like Bitcoin for their banking portfolio. To encourage their members to use them, they might offer an exclusive crypto booster reward. Take for example BUSR’s crypto sports prize.
Members can enjoy a 100% matching bonus up to $1,000 for sports betting. If you’re interested, the code for this is 100CRYPTO.
Popular Sports to Bet on in Texas
Not only do the residents of the Lone Star State have their pick of offshore sports bookies, but they have many sports to wager on. Our team does the legwork for Texans on the different professional and collegiate sports wagers awaiting them.
Stake Your Bet on the NFL’s Games
NFL football permits Texas sports fans to place a myriad of bets. Online gamblers can place live bet slips, straight wagers, and parlays during football season.
Some sites have a sports betting guide to facilitate and educate their members on staking their bets. However, we feel that BetOnline offers the most comprehensive professional and collegiate football experience. This world-class site allows for NFL future wagers, spread bets, and teasers.
The Lone Star State is home to some of the most storied football teams in the country. We list Texas’ current NFL teams.
- Dallas Cowboys – Labeled “America’s Team” and winners of five Super Bowls
- Houston Texans – Houston’s second pro football team that replaced the Houston Oilers, who are now the Tennessee Titans
Many Ways to Bet On Texas’ Pro NBA Teams
The NBA allows Texans to wager on their teams. Texas is also home to three professional NBA teams who have previously won championships. Again, we encourage Texans to turn to BetOnline to stake their bets on one or all three of the teams. This site accepts live bets, parlays, NBA futures, teasers, spreads, and straight bets.
The Basketball Insiders picks up the dribble for you by highlighting Texas’ pro basketball teams.
- Houston Rockets – Winners of two consecutive NBA championships in the mid 1990s with Hakeem Olajuwon
- San Antonio Spurs – Have won five NBA titles with Hall of Famers Tim Duncan and David Robinson
- Dallas Mavericks – Also has won an NBA championship
Hit A Homerun with Texas MLB
Two Major League Baseball teams proudly call Texas home and MLB allows the state’s residents to gamble on them. We also encourage Texans to stick with BetOnline for professional baseball wagers. Texas sports betting extends to International baseball leagues like Japan.
Like the other pro sports, the residents of Texas can choose from live bets, spreads, teasers, parlays, futures, and the standard straight bet when it comes to MLB betting.
We quickly walk you through the Lone Star State’s beloved MLB clubs.
- Houston Astros – Winners of the 2017 World Series
- Texas Rangers – Formerly owned by President George Bush. This franchise has yet to win a World Series
Enjoy Captivating NHL Bookie Pay
One NHL team has the full attention of Texas sports betting. If you haven’t chosen BetOnline for your sportsbook destination, we encourage you to do so. In addition, avid Texans can place future hockey wagers, straight bets, spreads, teasers, and parlays on the European hockey leagues.
You can quickly peruse our NHL betting guide for more info. Here is a quick mention on Texas’ sole hockey team.
- Dallas Stars – Won the Stanley Cup in the 1998-99 season and three Western Conference championships
Dribble Out Bets with Texas NCAA Basketball
The Lone Star State is home to more than two dozen NCAA I colleges. As a result, avid Texas sports fans can wager on many-storied NCAA basketball programs. In between choosing NCAA futures, straight bets, live bets, parlays, spread bets, and teasers, you can check out our college basketball guide here.
During college basketball season, additional contents include March Madness tournaments like at BetOnline and Bovada. The Basketball Insiders has tips for March Madness odds and lines and the definitive strategy guide to the NCAA tournament.
We also recommend BetOnline due to its extensive NCAA women’s options. Texas residents can fill out live bets, parlays, spreads, and teasers like the men. and futures.
Here is a quick rundown on some the top Texas college basketball teams eligible for offshore betting.
- Baylor University – Winners of the 2021 NCAA tournament
- University of Houston – Produced NBA Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler
- Sam Houston State – The Bearkats play out of Huntsville, Texas
- Texas A&M – The Aggies have 10 NCAA tournaments to their credit
- University of Texas – The Longhorns rank 17th all-time in men’s college basketball victories
- TCU – The Horned Frogs have nine NCAA tournament appearances
- Texas State University – Members of the Sun Belt Conference
- Texas Tech University – The Red Raiders have made 19 NCAA tournament appearances
Score A Touchdown with Texas NCAA Football Wagering
It’s no shocker that Texans love college football and barbecue. All of the established sportsbooks listed in this article offer an avenue to bet on Texas college football. However, we feel that BetOnline remains the top choice for Texans to place their bets.
All of the standard betting options already mentioned, including futures, are available for Texans at BetOnline. During college football season, dedicated Texas fans can stake bets on these teams:
- Baylor – The Lady Bears went undefeated to capture the 2012 women’s NCAA college basketball championship
- University of Houston – Ronald Hughey currently coaches the Lady Cougars
- Sam Houston State – The Lady Bearkats are currently coached by Ravon Justice
- Texas A&M – The Lady Aggies have 15 NCAA tournaments to their credit
- University of Texas – A fabled college program out of Austin, Texas
- TCU – The college that produced Kansas City Chiefs’ quarterback, Patrick Mahomes
- Texas State University – The Lady Longhorns remain perennial powerhouses in college women’s basketball
- Texas Tech University – The Lady Red Raiders developed WNBA Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes
Land A Hole in One with Golf Betting
There is no shortage of professional and amateur sports for Texas sports betting. Golf is another lucrative arena for Texas citizens to gamble on. BetOnline offers marvelous golf betting options, including three-ball bets.
BetOnline currently has the Valero PGA Texas Open for Texas sports betting. It features up to the minute odds of the remaining contests.
The Basketball Insiders spotlight Texas’s top golf tournaments available at offshore sportsbooks.
- Valero Texas Open – Dates back 100 years to 1922. It is played near San Antonio, Texas
Gallop to Victory with Online Horse Racing
The onus is on online sportsbooks to feature horse racing options. Most of our esteemed sportsbooks in this article provide Texas the luxury of horse racing. We believe that Bovada delivers the most comprehensive horse racing book with world-class arenas.
We also recommend Bovada because of its extensive horse racing glossary. The Basketball Insiders also has a virtual horse racing betting guide for your viewing. If you are a Texan interested in placing bets at your local race track, perhaps you can pick up some pointers here.
Here’s a quick run through of Texas’ storied and rewarding horse racing tracks.
- Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie – Offers two live horse racing events every year
- Manor Downs – Ceased operations in 2010
- Retama Park – A class 1 pari-muted racetrack located in Selma, Texas
- Sam Houston – Hosts both the Thoroughbred and American Quarter horse races
For more major horse racing venues like the Kentucky Derby, Bovada typically offers unique horse racing contents.
Enjoy Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily Fantasy Sports is another significant aspect of Texas sports betting. Texans can use prominent DFS companies like FanDuel to wager on fantasy lineups every day. The Texas state legislature differentiates DFS from organized sports betting on the premise of DFS being a skilled game.
- FanDuel – A prominent retail sports betting force in Texas
- DraftKings – Highly popular throughout the Lone Star State
- Money Knife Fight – Allows quick wagers on popular pro Texas sports
- PrizePicks – A solid option to gamble on Daily Fantasy Sports
Live Betting with Texas Betting Sites
Texas sports fans can pick several sports betting sites mentioned here for a rewarding live betting experience. Because these sites are offshore, Texans aren’t violating state law. Once more, we highly recommend BetOnline as your primary live betting destination.
Bets that are Illegal in Texas
Organized betting on sports teams and horse racing are illegal in Texas land-based casinos. There is currently an exception for Daily Fantasy Sports. Texans can gamble in neighboring states like Arkansas, where sports betting is legal, or you can try offshore sportsbooks.
How Texas Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
While the earliest that Texas sports betting can happen is in 2024, Texans aren’t out of options. Sports betting is a surging industry with more states moving to legalize it. Arkansas sportsbooks and horse racing offer plenty of sports betting options as do Louisiana sportsbooks. Texans can also drive to New Mexico sportsbooks.
Neighboring Oklahoma provides residents of the Lone Star State with plenty of legal sports betting.
Land-Based Betting with in Texas
Unfortunately, the ban on Texas online sports betting services extends to land-based operations. As of mid-2021, there are no physical betting shops anywhere in Texas – at least not legal ones.
If you’re looking to place wagers at a physical sportsbook, consider traveling across to a nearby state with regulated sports betting, such as New Mexico and Arkansas.
One surprising but welcome exception is social betting. Section 47 of the state’s Penal Code imposes no sanctions for betting with friends, as long as there is a “legitimate social relationship” between participants. There’s also no limit imposed on the maximum stake.
Keep in mind that bookmakers operating from within Texas state lines violate regional laws, so if you hear of a local organization accepting wagers, please remain cautious.
Offshore Sports Betting in Texas
Because Texas laws don’t outright prohibit offshore sites, you won’t be prosecuted for registering and wagering with a sportsbook located outside the US. As long as you choose a reputable bookmaker licensed in a respected jurisdiction, you can bet safely with any of the top Texas sports betting sites we recommend above.
Nevertheless, when signing up and depositing with an overseas provider, it’s important to perform your due diligence and keep a few best practices in mind:
- There are many fraudulent sportsbooks out there. Luckily, most of them are relatively easy to spot: they have a poor website design, their bonus terms and conditions are too good to be true, and they aren’t licensed by any reputable gaming organization. The easiest way to avoid donating your money to a dishonest offshore provider is to register with one of our recommended best online sportsbooks.
- Some offshore sportsbooks may report your winnings to the IRS.
- The more sportsbooks you sign up and deposit with, the higher your chances of finding value lines and betting options for your preferred markets. We recommend that you register accounts with at least three reputable sportsbooks to start reaping the benefits of variety.
If you’re looking for safe and reliable Texas sports betting sites, check out the sportsbooks we feature on this age, all of which offer a huge range of markets, generous promos and fast payouts.
More on Texas Gambling
There is a lot of passion and support for legalized Texas sports betting. The next move is to ensure that a ballot is put up to vote in Texas’s state legislature in 2023. Meanwhile, residents of the Banner State can indulge in legalized sports betting play in Texas. We’ve put together some recommendations.
The Best Online Betting Site for Texas
When it comes to regulations in sports betting and gambling in Texas, the state is among the most conservative US jurisdictions. Luckily, state laws don’t criminalize betting with offshore sports sites, so you can open an account with any of our recommended bookies, make a safe deposit, and start betting legally today.
If you’re looking to start sports betting in Texas, you can create an account with BetOnline today to claim your 50% sports welcome bonus up to $1,000.
BetOnline Bonus Code
Is online sports betting legal in Texas?
When will Texas legalize sports betting?
If sports betting is illegal in Texas, how can I bet online?
Are online casinos legal in Texas?
Are sports betting apps legal in Texas?
How can I keep up with Texas sports betting news?
- How to Watch NBA Playoffs Conference Finals for Free on YouTube?
- NBA Player Props Bets | NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals Game 2
- NBA Rumors: Phil Jackson wants Lakers to trade LeBron James
- Kyrie Irving says Cavaliers ‘would’ve won more championships’ if he was more mature
- How to Watch NBA Playoffs and Stream NBA Conference Finals for Free?