In this guide, we will help you find the best Texas sports betting site by providing research-backed recommendations for the top bookmakers that accept wagers from US residents.
We’ll answer the question, “is sports betting in Texas legal?” and point out the obstacles that lie ahead on the road to full legalization. At the end of the piece, we offer short reviews of our top-recommended bookies, along with answers to common questions about betting and gambling in Texas.
The Best Texas Sports Betting Sites Ranked
The Best Online Texas Sports Betting Sites List 2021
The following are, in our opinion, the best Texas sportsbooks for amateur punters and high rollers alike. Each site is licensed by a renowned e-gaming organization and was vetted for compliance with security and safety best-practices:
- BetUS – Best overall Texas sports betting site
- Bovada – Excellent bonus for Bitcoin deposits
- MyBookie – Many different promotions for Texas sports betting fans
- XBet – Good mix of international sports
- BetOnline – Very high deposit limits
- Sportsbetting.ag – Texas sports betting site with great eSports coverage
- GT Bets – Top Texas sportsbook for horse racing
- Intertops – Competitive lines
- BetNow – Quick and simple to sign up
- BetAnySports – Good NBA lines
Best Texas Sportsbooks Reviewed
When it comes to online sports betting Texas is a state that doesn’t shy away from offshore betting sites. Most of the gambling that gets done here isn’t done in the State because it hasn’t been legal for some time. Playing at an offshore betting site isn’t actually illegal or punishable either. The best legal sports betting Texas players can do is online, and right here, at the top online sports betting Texas sites.
1. BetUS – Best Overall Texas Sports Betting Site
BetUS is one of the oldest sportsbooks that accept wagers from Texas-based punters. Launched in 1994, the betting provider offers a safe and legal gambling experience backed by a Costa Rica gambling license.
As you might expect, BetUS caters to fans of all sports popular in the United States. Whether you’re a football, martial arts, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, or ice-hockey fan, you’ll find numerous lines and markets to choose from.
Conversely, if you’re more into eSports betting, BetUS has you covered with a range of odds on League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Dota, and even Tekken.
BetUS offers one of the most generous promotions in the world, one that effectively amounts to $2,500 in sports-exclusive bonuses. What’s more, if you’re willing to make several cryptocurrency payments, you can claim upwards of $7,500 in additional bonus funds, paid out over several installments. When it comes to Texas sports betting bonuses, BetUS should definitely remain on your radar.
- Unbeatable welcome bonus value
- Speedy withdrawals
- Well-rounded sports and market coverage
- Over two and a half decades in the business
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
2. Bovada – Best Bitcoin Bonus for Texas Sports Betting
If you have any Texas online sports betting experience, then chances are you’ve heard of Bovada. This sportsbook was established by Calvin Ayre in the early 2010s and is currently one of the most recognizable betting brands in the US.
Like MyBookie, Bovada features an extensive catalog of traditional sports betting options. Whether you prefer major US leagues or would rather explore obscure Asian and African competitions, Bovada will spoil you for choice with a range of moneyline, three-way, spread, total, future, and prop bets.
The story is the same for eSports, with Bovada serving early odds on a mix of popular video gaming competitions. Whether you prefer CS: GO, LoL, Valorant, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, there’s plenty of action at favorable odds.
The icing on the cake – or perhaps the cake itself – is the $750 welcome bonuses granted to first-time Bitcoin depositors. That’s one of the best crypto-exclusive introductory offers we’ve seen, so if you’re looking to fund your account using BTC, Bovada should be your top consideration.
- Excellent web and mobile applications
- Extensive market coverage
- Unmatched Bitcoin deposit bonus
- Launched with US bettors in mind
- Lines for traditional sports events can be late
3. MyBookie – Plenty of Sports Betting Texas Promotions
MyBookie sportsbook was launched in the mid-2010s. The company holds a valid gambling license from Costa Rica and is among the most popular digital destinations for Texas online sports betting folk.
MyBookie offers lines on all popular disciplines. You’ll find plenty of action on basketball, football, soccer, MMA, boxing, hockey, baseball, darts, martial arts, and over a dozen other sports. Betting opportunities span all the major events, including the NBA, PBA, NBL, and NFL, as well as minor exotic competitions. If you’ve heard of it, it’s probably available at MyBookie.
Particularly worth highlighting is the bookmaker’s League of Legends market depth, which is, hands down, the best we’ve ever seen. Enjoy betting options on the Balkan Fortuna, Polish Ultraliga, Italian PG, Spanish Superliga, Riot Gaming’s TCL and LLA, UK’s Dreamhack, and much more. If LoL is your e-gaming specialty, you’re bound to find a comfy home at MyBookie.
To spice things up, the sportsbook offers up to $500 in welcome bonuses to new customers and has made our list of the best high limit sportsbooks available to US-based customers. Combined, the above features make MyBookie the top Texas sports betting site.
- A large variety of sports to bet on
- Excellent welcome bonus
- Exceptional Basketball and LoL coverage
- Prompt payments
- One of the best-reduced juice betting sites
- Residents of NV, NY, and NJ can’t participate
4. XBet – Texas Sports Betting with a Variety of Options
We wouldn’t be doing XBet justice if we didn’t list them in the top four for our best Texas online betting sites. While being relatively new, XBet has managed to fit in really well by bringing people to their sites with their generous mix of welcome bonuses. Players can grab a 100% matched deposit bonus up to $500 if they plan to do any sports betting at the site.
In addition to that, those that want to delve further into the world of online casinos can put money on the horses, or can simply sit and play slot games, blackjack or roulette for hours. These games will all also carry their own promotions, independent of the sports betting one.
The primary focus on sports betting in Texas seems to be for the NFL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, and NHL markets. Whether you’re betting on the Houston Texans, the Dallas Cowboys, the Houston Rockets, or even the San Antonio Spurs, rest assured that XBet will have all punters covered. As far as casino games go, players will be able to experience a number of top Betsoft slots including games like Good Girl Bad Girl, and many different table game varieties.
- Solid sports and eSports offering
- Convenient mobile-optimized application
- Wide range of payment options
- Not as many titles offered
5. BetOnline – High Limits for Texas Sports Betting
Anyone who has been around in the world of online betting will be familiar with the name BetOnline. This site and sportsbook is synonymous with high-quality betting markets, competitive welcome bonuses, and first-to-market types of bets on offer. It’s been around since the early days of the 2000s and is one of the top 50 biggest betting sites by wager volume.
Players who sign up today can grab themselves a $1,000 matched deposit bonus with their first deposit, making it a great way to increase your bankroll and make sure that all the bets you want to place, are put down. The site has a wide range of bets, from intricate esports titles like CS:GO, all the way to some of the best NCAA basketball bets that players may not even be familiar with yet.
As such, the site is very on-the-ball when it comes to its tech. It’s one of the few sites that handle cryptocurrency well by accepting a wide range including the likes of Dogecoin and Ripple, while still making the effort to payout in crypto too.
- Competitive welcome bonus
- Great esports coverage
- An impressive set of promotions
- PayPal isn’t accepted
Comparing Sports Betting Texas Sites
Here are how the best sportsbooks for sports betting in Texas match up against one another.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $200
100% deposit match up to $100
200% deposit match up to $50
|NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1,000||BVD1000||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $500
|Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not Required||Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000
Reload bonus up to $250
|BOL1000 LIFEBONUS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
Is Sports Betting Legal in Texas?
Although it isn’t illegal for state residents to wager at offshore sportsbooks, Texas laws explicitly prohibit sports betting companies from operating within state lines. This restriction may change if the likes of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban have their way, but until that happens, you can safely and legally bet with any of the overseas sportsbooks we recommend above. So is sports betting legal in Texas? You bet it is!
Sports Betting Texas – Offshore Sportsbooks
Does Texas allow sports betting? No, it does not. Since The Lone Star State doesn’t issue sports betting licenses, the only sportsbooks you can legally bet with online are offshore ones – hence the reason why the likes of FanDuel (etc.) don’t feature in our top 10.
Offshore sites are absolutely fine though: they’ve been a go-to for American bettors for years. Our top recommendation for online sports betting in Texas is, of course, BetUS. One day when Texas legal sports betting is something that people enjoy, then we’ll update our list!
Still, all bookmakers we listed earlier offer a seamless and regulated betting service, so you can register and deposit confidently with any of them. As a reminder, here are our top-five favorite offshore bookies:
Land-based betting in Texas
Unfortunately, the ban on Texas online sports betting services extends to land-based operations. As of mid-2021, there are no physical betting shops anywhere in Texas – at least not legal ones.
If you’re looking to place wagers at a physical sportsbook, consider traveling across to a nearby state with regulated sports betting, such as New Mexico and Arkansas.
One surprising but welcome exception is social betting. Section 47 of the state’s Penal Code imposes no sanctions for betting or gambling with friends, as long as there is a “legitimate social relationship” between participants. There’s also no limit imposed on the maximum stake.
Keep in mind that bookmakers operating from within Texas state lines violate regional laws, so if you hear of a local organization accepting wagers, please remain cautious.
Along with greyhound betting, horse race betting is one of the few sports you can wager on locally. The Texas Gaming Commission oversees several race betting facilities, notably Lone Star Park and Sam Houston Race Park.
Please remember that you must place all horse racing wagers physically at the establishment, as Texas laws prohibit racetrack operators from offering advance deposit wagering (ADW) applications of any kind.
Timeline of Texas Sports Betting Legislation
Texas has always been on the lower end of the sports-betting-regulation spectrum. The sluggish pace likely stems from a combination of deep-rooted baptist culture and multiple constitutional hurdles that make it exceedingly difficult for a Senate or House member to push through a Texas sports betting bill.
Here are a few examples illustrating that difficulty:
- July 2021: lawmakers, led by Dan Patrick, extinguish all efforts by gaming companies to legalize Texas online sports betting. The issue is tabled until at least 2023.
- March 2021: Christopher Gerlacher of Gaming Today magazine said: “no matter how many sports betting bills are introduced, the bills will likely die in committee” due to unmovable obstacles inherent to local laws and traditions.
- February 2021: in a public statement, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced that legal sports betting in Texas “won’t see the light of day.”
This strict stance clashes with the Texas sports scene, which is chock full of distinguished teams with a die-hard following.
So, when will sports betting be legal in Texas? Right now, it’s hard to say with any certainty.
If you are a resident of the Lone Star State, we encourage you to locate your representative and contact them to express your support for legal Texas sports betting.
Offshore Sports Betting in Texas
Because Texas laws don’t outright prohibit offshore sites, you won’t be prosecuted for registering and wagering with a sportsbook located outside the US. As long as you choose a reputable bookmaker licensed in a respected jurisdiction, you can bet safely with any of the top Texas sports betting sites we recommend above.
Nevertheless, when signing up and depositing with an overseas provider, it’s important to perform your due diligence and keep a few best practices in mind:
- There are many fraudulent sportsbooks out there. Luckily, most of them are relatively easy to spot: they have a poor website design, their bonus terms and conditions are too good to be true, and they aren’t licensed by any reputable gaming organization. The easiest way to avoid donating your money to a dishonest offshore provider is to register with one of our recommended best online sportsbooks.
- Some offshore sportsbooks may report your winnings to the IRS.
- The more sportsbooks you sign up and deposit with, the higher your chances of finding value lines and betting options for your preferred markets. We recommend that you register accounts with at least three reputable sportsbooks to start reaping the benefits of variety.
If you’re looking for safe and reliable Texas sports betting sites, check out the sportsbooks we feature on this age, all of which offer a huge range of markets, generous promos and fast payouts.
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Legal in Texas?
The legal status of DFS in the state is complicated. Still, the top four DFS providers in the United States – FanDuel, DraftKings, Yahoo, and Fantasy Draft – all accept real-money wagers from Texas residents. Importantly, there are no public records of citizens being arrested or prosecuted by the authorities for participating in a Daily Fantasy Sports contest.
Casino Laws in Texas
With a few exceptions that we discuss below, online and offline gambling are currently illegal in Texas.
The situation with online gambling is similar to the one with online sports betting in Texas: betting with offshore sportsbooks is OK, but operating casinos in Texas is not.
If you’re looking to gamble with an overseas online casino, we recommend the following providers:
- Bovada casino
- BetUS Casino
- BetOnline Casino
When it comes to gambling at brick-and-mortar establishments, you have three legal options:
- State-run raffles and lotteries, such as the Lotto Texas and Mega Millions
- Indian casinos. Because these casinos are located on land belonging to Indian tribes, these venues lie outside Texan jurisdiction. There are currently two active Indian casinos: the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino in Eagle Pass, and the Naskila Gaming casino in Livingston.
- Casino cruise ships. The most popular boat, Jacks or Better Casino, is based in Galveston and routinely sails several miles out into the Gulf of Mexico, where the prohibitive Texas gambling laws don’t apply. There you can spend some quality time playing blackjack, roulette, craps, three card poker, slots, and video poker.
Gambling Tax in Texas
Gambling winnings in Texas are subject to a 24% tax. Most winnings that exceed $5,000 are subject to income tax withholding, which means that the responsibility for paying taxes levied on these winnings rests on the gambling provider.
Texas is among the most conservative US jurisdictions when it comes to gambling and sports betting regulations. Luckily, state laws don’t criminalize betting with offshore sports sites, so you can open an account with any of our recommended bookies, make a safe deposit, and start betting legally today.
If you’re looking to start sports betting in Texas, you can create an account with BetUS today to claim your $1,000 welcome bonus and place your first bet!
Is online sports betting legal in Texas?
When will Texas legalize sports betting?
If sports betting is illegal in Texas, how can I bet online?
Are online casinos legal in Texas?
What sports betting apps are legal in Texas?
How can I keep up with Texas sports betting news?
NBA Team Salaries
- Portland Trail Blazers vs Golden State Warriors: preview, prediction and betting tips – Warriors poised to dominate at home
- Gonzaga Bulldogs vs Duke Blue Devils picks, preview & betting tips – High talent won’t equate to high pace
- New Orleans Pelicans vs Utah Jazz: preview, prediction and betting tips – Jazz can claim another ATS win on Friday
- Washington Wizards vs Oklahoma City Thunder preview, prediction & betting tips – Thunder can cover against hot-start Wizards
- Atlanta Hawks vs Memphis Grizzlies preview, prediction & betting tips – Hawks can keep rolling against Grizzlies on Friday