Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $23.1 million in cap space, less with Kelly Oubre, Mason Plumlee and Ish Smith.
Roster Count: 16 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: LaMelo Ball, Ish Smith, DJ Carton
SG: Terry Rozier, James Bouknight, Scottie Lewis (two-way)
SF: Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre, Cody Martin, Wesley Iwundu
PF: PJ Washington, Miles Bridges, Kai Jones, Jalen McDaniels, JT Thor, Arnoldas Kulboka (two-way)
C: Mason Plumlee, Vernon Carey Jr, Nick Richards
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $410,000 (Ish Smith)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- DJ Carton $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Miles Bridges
- LaMelo Ball (third-year)
- PJ Washington (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Caleb Martin
Traded Players: Devonte’ Graham (sign-and-trade)
G-League Affiliate: Greensboro Swarm (Cam Twiss general manager, coach Jay Hernandez)
Two-Way Contracts: Scottie Lewis, Arnoldas Kulboka
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Michael Jordan
- Mitch Kupchak — president of basketball operations & general manager
- Buzz Peterson — assistant general manager
- Drew Perry — director of pro scouting
- George Rodman — director of basketball analytics & strategy
- David Duquette — director of basketball strategy/team counsel
- Kathryn Karakus — senior director of basketball operations
- Larry Jordan — director of player personnel
Head Coach: James Borrego
Assistants: Jay Triano, Chad Iske, Jay Hernandez, Dutch Gaitley, Nate Mitchell, Nick Friedman (player development coach)
Training Staff: Joe Sharpe (director of health care & sports performance), Quinton Sawyer (associate head athletic trainer), Aaron Karkow (assistant athletic trainer), Lauren McGuigan (director of sports science), Adam Linens (strength & conditioning coach), Dr. Powell Bernhardt (director of performance therapy)
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) from the New Orleans Pelicans (Devonte’ Graham).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-18 protected in 2022, top-16 protected in 2023, top-14 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the New York Knicks (Kai Jones).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Toronto Raptors (Malachi Richardson, Alec Burks, Brad Wanamaker).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the New York Knicks (Gordon Hayward, Evan Fournier).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Boston Celtics (Gordon Hayward).
- 2023– Owe a second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Devonte’ Graham), may convey to the Brooklyn Nets or Philadelphia 76ers. Highest to the 76ers, second to the Hawks and lowest to the Nets.
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Boston Celtics (Gordon Hayward).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Nick Richards, Steven Adams).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Golden State Warriors (Brad Wanamaker).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $2 million from the New Orleans Pelicans (Devonte’ Graham)
- 10/18/21– Extension deadline for Miles Bridges.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on PJ Washington and LaMelo Ball.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lifts on DJ Carton, Ish Smith and Kelly Oubre.
- 1/7/22 — DJ Carton’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/30/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Terry Rozier.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/21/22 — Mason Plumlee’s $9,080,417 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Jalen McDaniels.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Miles Bridges, DJ Carton and Cody Martin.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/1/22 — Ish Smith’s $4,725,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 (or the day after the last day of the 2022-23 moratorium if later) — Nick Richards’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 8/1/22 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the start of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for PJ Washington.
- 10/31/23 — Team options on LaMelo Ball, James Bouknight and Kai Jones.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Vernon Carey Jr.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for PJ Washington and Nick Richards.
- Before the start of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for LaMelo Ball.
- 1/7/24 — JT Thor’s $1,836,096 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for LaMelo Ball.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on JT Thor.
- Before the start of 2024-25 season — Extension deadlines for James Bouknight and Kai Jones.
- 1/7/24 — JT Thor’s $1,988,598 guarantees for 2024-25.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for James Bouknight and Kai Jones.
- 1/7/26 — Terry Rozier’s $26,643,031 guarantees for 2025-26, unless his team reached the conference finals and he played in at least 70 regular season games over any of the 2022-23, 2023-24 or 2024-25 seasons.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 11 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted James Bouknight (2021-11th), Scottie Lewis (2021-56th) and Balsa Koprivica (2021-57th).
- 7/30/21 — Traded a protected 2022 first-rounder (top-18 protected in 2022, top-16 protected in 2023, top-14 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) to the New York Knicks for Kai Jones (2021-19th).
- 8/1/21 — Issued a qualifying offer to Devonte’ Graham.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Malik Monk, Brad Wanamaker, Grant Riller and Nate Darling (two-way).
- 8/3/21 — Signed James Bouknight (2021-11th) to a $19,151,216 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/3/21 — Signed Kai Jones (2021-19th) to a $13,421,215 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/3/21 — Signed Scottie Lewis (2021-56th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/3/21 — Signed Arnoldas Kulboka (2018-55th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/6/21 — Renounced the rights to Malik Monk, Bismack Biyombo, Brad Wanamaker, Grant Riller and Nate Darling.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Balsa Koprivica (2021-57th) to the Detroit Pistons for Mason Plumlee (into cap space) and JT Thor (2021-37th).
- 8/6/21 — Signed JT Thor (2021-37th) to a partially-guaranteed four-year $6,638,212 contract (via cap space), team option on the final season.
- 8/7/21 — Waived Caleb Martin.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Devonte’ Graham (via sign-and-trade) to the New Orleans Pelicans for Wesley Iwundu, a 2022 first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) and $2 million from the Pelicans and Tyler Harvey (2015-51st) from the Memphis Grizzlies.
- 8/7/21 — Signed Kelly Oubre to a partially-guaranteed two-year $24.6 million contract, via cap room.
- 8/7/21 — Signed Ish Smith to a partially-guaranteed two-year $9,225,000 contract, via the room mid-level exception.
- 8/7/21 – Signed DJ Carton to a $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/9/21 — Re-signed Coach James Borrego to a contract extension.
- 8/15/21 — Cody Martin’s $1,782,621 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/24/21 — Re-signed Terry Rozier to an partially-guaranteed $96,258,694 extension, adding four years.
- 8/25/21 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,782,621 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Tyler Harvey (2015-51st)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: Spectrum Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/31/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Free WNBA Playoffs Picks: Second Playoff Round – predictions and odds
- Former professional gambler Haralabos Volugaris is fired by Mavericks
- Daily Free ABA League Picks: 2021 Igokea vs. Borac – odds and free picks
- Dwight Howard practiced singing and dancing for The Masked Singer
- Free ABA League Expert Picks: 2021 Crvena Zvezda vs. Split – free picks