Quick: Over the cap. Hard capped by the Terry Rozier sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Up to $50.6 million in cap space, down to $22.4 million if Nicolas Batum opts in and the Hornets keep Devonte’ Graham, Jalen McDaniels and Caleb Martin.
Roster Count: Six guaranteed, one player option, three non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Devonte’ Graham
SG: Terry Rozier, Malik Monk, Caleb Martin
SF: Miles Bridges, Cody Martin, Nicolas Batum (PO)
PF: PJ Washington, Jalen McDaniels, Ray Spalding (two-way)
C: Cody Zeller
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $4,767,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 8th ($4,862,040 cap hold); 38th to the New York Knicks (Willy Hernangomez)
* Lottery/Standings TBD
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arnoldas Kulboka (2018-55th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Devonte’ Graham $1,663,861 — 10/24/20
- Caleb Martin $1,517,981 — 7/15/20 (revised date TBD)
- Jalen McDaniels $1,517,981 — 8/1/20 (revised date TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Full Bird: Nicolas Batum (PO, $38,347,826), Bismack Biyombo ($25,500,000), Dwayne Bacon (RFA, $2,023,150), Willy Hernangomez ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Shelvin Mack* ($1,620,564), Brian Roberts* ($1,620,564), Kobi Simmons (two-way), Marcus Paige* (two-way)
* Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Dwayne Bacon $2,023,150
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Malik Monk
- PJ Washington
- Miles Bridges
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Greensboro Swarm (Cam Twiss general manager, coach Joe Wolf)
Two-Way Contracts: Ray Spalding
Head Coach: James Borrego
Assistants: Jay Triano, Chad Iske, Jay Hernandez, Ronald Norad, Dutch Gaitley, Nate Mitchell, Nick Friedman (player development coach), Jordan Surenkamp (head video coordinator), Garrius Adams (assistant video coordinator)
Trainer: Steve Stricker, Dennis Williams (assistant), Matt Friia (strength and conditioning), Lauren McGuigan (director of sports science)
- Mitch Kupchak — general manager
- Buzz Peterson — assistant general manager
- Larry Jordan — director, player personnel
- George Rodman — director of basketball analytics and strategy
- David Duquette — director of basketball strategy/team counsel
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Guillermo Hernangomez).
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Brooklyn Nets (Dwight Howard).
- 2023– Owe a second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Devonte’ Graham), may convey to the Brooklyn Nets.
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 million max): $0
- 7/15/20 — Caleb Martin’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 8/1/20 — Jalen McDaniels’ salary guarantees at $100,000 (revised date TBD).
- 10/6/20 — Player option for Nicolas Batum.
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kobi Simmons, Jalen McDaniels and Dwayne Bacon.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/24/20 — Devonte’ Graham’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Miles Bridges and PJ Washington (revised date TBD).
- Before the start of 2020-21 season — Extension deadline for Malik Monk.
- 1/10/21 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 6/30/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Malik Monk.
- 7/15/21 — Caleb Martin and Cody Martin’s $1,782,621 guarantee for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on PJ Washington.
- Before the start of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Miles Bridges.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Jalen McDaniels.
- 6/30/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Miles Bridges and Cody Martin.
- 8/1/22 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the start of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for PJ Washington.
- 6/30/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for PJ Washington.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, but players are released 48 hours prior to account for waivers.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Spectrum Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/17/20)