Quick: $1.8 million in cap space. Hard-capped by the Gordon Hayward sign-and-trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $27.4 million in cap space but down to $22 million with the cap holds of Devonte’ Graham, Cody Martin, Caleb Martin and Jalen McDaniels)
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Devonte’ Graham, Brad Wanamaker, LaMelo Ball (injured)
SG: Terry Rozier, Caleb Martin, Malik Monk, Nate Darling (two-way), Grant Riller (two-way)
SF: Gordon Hayward, Miles Bridges, Cody Martin
PF: PJ Washington, Jalen McDaniels
C: Cody Zeller, Bismack Biyombo, Nick Richards, Vernon Carey Jr
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $4,767,000
Waived Players: Nicolas Batum (stretched), Ray Spalding (two-way), Javin DeLaurier, Xavier Sneed, Kahlil Whitney, Keandre Cook
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Greensboro Swarm (Cam Twiss general manager, coach TBD)
Two-Way Contracts: Nate Darling, Grant Riller
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Michael Jordan
- Mitch Kupchak — president of basketball operations & general manager
- Buzz Peterson — assistant general manager
- Drew Perry — director of pro scouting
- George Rodman — director of basketball analytics & strategy
- David Duquette — director of basketball strategy/team counsel
- Kathryn Karakus — senior director of basketball operations
- Larry Jordan — director of player personnel
Head Coach: James Borrego
Assistants: Jay Triano, Chad Iske, Ronald Norad, Jay Hernandez, Dutch Gaitley, Nate Mitchell, Nick Friedman (player development coach)
Training Staff: Joe Sharpe (director of health care & sports performance), Quinton Sawyer (associate head athletic trainer), Aaron Karkow (assistant athletic trainer), Lauren McGuigan (director of sports science), Adam Linens (strength & conditioning coach), Dr. Powell Bernhardt (director of performance therapy)
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons (Guillermo Hernangomez, Derrick Rose).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Los Angeles Clippers (Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Brooklyn Nets (Dwight Howard).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Malachi Richardson, Alec Burks, Brad Wanamaker).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Boston Celtics (Gordon Hayward).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Boston Celtics (Gordon Hayward).
- 2023– Owe a second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Devonte’ Graham), may convey to the Brooklyn Nets or Philadelphia 76ers.
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Boston Celtics (Gordon Hayward).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Nick Richards, Steven Adams).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Golden State Warriors (Brad Wanamaker).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 million max): $2 million from the Golden State Warriors (Brad Wanamaker) — $3,617,000 remaining
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Brad Wanamaker and Malik Monk.
- 8/1/21 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22 (date may be revised).
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/2021 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/2021 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 8/16/21 — Caleb Martin and Cody Martin’s $1,782,621 guarantee for 2021-22.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on PJ Washington and LaMelo Ball.
- Before the start of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Miles Bridges.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Jalen McDaniels.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Miles Bridges and Cody Martin.
- 7/7/22 (or the day after the last day of the 2022-23 moratorium if later) — Nick Richards’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 8/1/22 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the start of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for PJ Washington.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on LaMelo Ball.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Vernon Carey Jr.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for PJ Washington and Nick Richards.
- Before the start of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for LaMelo Ball.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for LaMelo Ball.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/16/20 — Nicolas Batum opted into his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted LaMelo Ball (2020-3rd), Vernon Carey Jr. (2020-32nd) and Grant Riller (2020-56th).
- 11/19/20 — Traded a 2024 second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans for the rights to Nick Richards (2020-42nd).
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Kobi Simmons, Jalen McDaniels and Dwayne Bacon.
- 11/23/20 — Devonte’ Graham’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/28/20 — Caleb Martin’s $1,517,981 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/29/20 — Waived and stretched Nicolas Batum.
- 11/29/20 — Waived Ray Spalding (two-way).
- 11/20/2 — Renounced the rights to Bismack Biyombo, Shelvin Mack, Kobi Simmons, Marcus Paige and Brian Roberts.
- 11/29/20 — Traded a 2022 second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Boston Celtics for Gordon Hayward (via sign-and-trade), a 2023 second-rounder and a 2024 second-rounder. Hayward signed a four-year $120,000,000 contract.
- 11/29/20 — Jalen McDaniels’ salary guaranteed at $100,000.
- 11/30/20 — Re-signed Bismack Biyombo to a $3.5 million contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Nate Darling to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed LaMelo Ball (2020-3rd) to a $35,596,275 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Vernon Carey Jr. (2020-32nd) to a four-year $6,481,283 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Nick Richards (2020-42nd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,300,602 contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Grant Riller (2020-56th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Keandre Cook to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Xavier Sneed to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Javin DeLaurier to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Kahlil Whitney to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Javin DeLaurier, Xavier Sneed, Kahlil Whitney and Keandre Cook.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline for Malik Monk elapsed.
- 12/23/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on PJ Washington.
- 12/23/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Miles Bridges.
- 2/24/21 — Jalen McDaniels’ $1,517,981 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Traded a protected 2025 second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Golden State Warriors for Brad Wanamaker, a Toronto Raptors 2022 second-rounder and $2 million
No-Trade: Bismack Biyombo (One-Year Bird)
- Gordon Hayward — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arnoldas Kulboka (2018-55th)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Spectrum Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/29/21)