Quick: Spent over the cap but can get under by $12.6 million.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $56.8 million or $31.3 million with Kristaps Porzingis’ cap hold and Dwight Powell’ opt-in.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Jalen Brunson, Trey Burke, Devin Harris, J.J Barea (injured)
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr., Ryan Broekhoff, Courtney Lee, Daryl Macon (two-way)
SF: Luka Doncic, Justin Jackson
PF: Dorian Finney-Smith, Dirk Nowitzki, Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-way), Kristaps Porzingis (injured)
C: Maxi Kleber, Dwight Powell, Salah Mejri
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Wesley Matthews, expiring 1/31/20) — $1,233,152
- Trade Exception (Harrison Barnes, expiring 2/7/20) — $21,299,378
- Disabled Player Exception (J.J. Barea, expiring 3/11/19) — $1,855,425
- Room Exception: $4,449,000
Waived Players: Kyle Collinsworth, Jalen Jones (two-way), Chinanu Onuaku, Terry Larrier, Codi Miller-McIntyre, Jalen Jones, Ding Yanyuhang (twice), Donte Ingram, Rashad Vaughn, Ray Spalding, Salah Mejri, Zach Randolph
Traded Players: Jonathan Motley (two-way), DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews, Dennis Smith Jr., Harrison Barnes
G-League Affiliate: Texas Legends (Spud Webb president of basketball operations, Coach Bob MacKinnon)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Two-Way Players: Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-year), Daryl Macon (two-year)
Head Coach: Rick Carlisle (through the 2020-21 season)
Assistants: Kaleb Canales, Darrell Armstrong, Jamahl Mosley, Larry Shyatt, Jenny Boucek, Stephen Silas
Trainer: Casey Smith, Dionne Calhoun (assistant)
- Mark Cuban — owner
- Donn Nelson — president of basketball operations/general manager
- Keith Grant — assistant general manager
- Kristy Laue — manager of team operations
- Michael Finley — assistant vice president of basketball operations
- 2019 — Owed the highest second-rounder (top-39 protected otherwise $500,000) from Houston Rockets or Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-5 protected through 2020, top-3 protected through 2022, unprotected in 2023) to Atlanta Hawks.
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Nerlens Noel).
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder (two-years after the obligation to the Atlanta Hawks) to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Josh McRoberts).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, two-years after the prior obligation to the New York Knicks, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $50,000 from Los Angeles Clippers (Jonathan Motley); $2,044,951 from Houston Rockets ($500,000 conditional, Chinanu Onuaku) — $3,148,049 remaining
- 3/11/19 — J.J. Barea disabled player exception expires.
- 6/29/19 – Player option for Dwight Powell.
- 6/29/19 — Ryan Broekhoff’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kristaps Porzingis, Ryan Broekhoff, Dorian Finney-Smith and Maxi Kleber.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Justin Jackson.
- 1/31/20 — Wesley Matthews trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Harrison Barnes trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Tim Hardaway’s player option.
- Before first day of the 2020-21 season — Extension deadline on Justin Jackson.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Justin Jackson.
- 6/30/21 — Jalen Brunson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/30/18 — Wesley Matthews opted into his contract.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Trae Young (5th), Jalen Brunson (33rd) and Shake Milton (54th).
- 6/21/18 — Traded the rights to Trae Young (2018-5th) and a protected first-rounder to Atlanta Hawks for the rights to Luka Doncic (2018-3rd).
- 6/21/18 — Traded the rights to Shake Milton (2018-54th) to Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Ray Spalding (2018-56th) and Kostas Antetokounmpo (2018-60th).
- 6/26/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Doug McDermott, Salah Mejri and Yogi Ferrell.
- 6/27/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Doug McDermott.
- 6/28/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Salah Mejri.
- 6/30/18 — Declined the team option on the final season of Dirk Nowitzki’s contract.
- 7/6/18 — Removed Petteri Koponen (2007-30th) from the team’s 2018-19 cap, he cannot sign until July 2019.
- 7/6/18 — Renounced the rights to Dirk Nowitzki, Salah Mejri, Aaron Harrison and Nerlens Noel.
- 7/6/18 — Signed DeAndre Jordan to a one-year, $22,897,000 contract.
- 7/9/18 — Signed Luka Doncic (2018-3rd) to a $32,467,751 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/18 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s $1,544,951 million guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/13/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Yogi Ferrell.
- 7/13/18 — Signed Kosta Antetokounmpo (2018-60th) to a two-year two-way contract.
- 7/15/18 — Maxi Kleber’s $1,378,242 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/15/18 — Signed Jalen Brunson (2018-33rd) to a partially-guaranteed four-year $6,112,500 contract.
- 7/20/18 — Signed Ray Spalding (2018-56th) to a partially-guaranteed four-year $5,721,234 contract.
- 7/23/18 — Re-signed Dirk Nowitzki to a one-year $5 million contract.
- 7/23/18 — Signed Ding Yanyuhang to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 summer contract.
- 7/23/18 — Traded Jonathan Motley (two-way) and the rights to Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th) to Los Angeles Clippers for the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th) and $50,000.
- 7/30/18 — Signed Daryl Macon to a two-year two-way contract.
- 7/31/18 — Signed Terry Larrier to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 summer contract.
- 8/1/18 — Signed Codi Miller-McIntyre to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 summer contract.
- 8/2/18 — Traded the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th) to Houston Rockets for Chinanu Onuaku, $1,544,951 and either 2020 second-round swap rights or $500,000.
- 8/3/18 — Signed Salah Mejri to a one-year $1,567,007 minimum contract.
- 8/6/18 — Signed Ryan Broekhoff to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,282,306 minimum contract.
- 8/7/18 — Signed Devin Harris to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 8/10/18 — Re-signed Jalen Jones to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/8/18 — Signed Rashad Vaughn to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,567,007 minimum summer contract.
- 10/8/18 — Signed Donte Ingram a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Ding Yanyuhang to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 summer contract.
- 10/15/18 — Picked up the team option on Dennis Smith Jr.
- 1/31/19 — Traded DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews and Dennis Smith Jr., and two first-rounders to the New York Knicks for Kristaps Porzingis, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee.
- 2/7/19 — Traded Harrison Barnes to the Sacramento Kings for Zach Randolph and Justin Jackson.
- 2/12/19 — Re-signed Salah Mejri to for the rest of the season at $531,189.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: Petteri Koponen (2007-30th)
- Second rounders: Satnam Singh (2015-52nd), Stanko Barac (2007-39th)
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: American Airlines Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/12/19)