Quick: Over the cap. Hard-capped by the Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Burke contracts via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $34.4 million, less with Josh Richardson’s $11.6 million player option.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Luka Doncic, Jalen Brunson, Trey Burke, Tyrell Terry
SG: Josh Richardson, Tim Hardaway Jr, Josh Green, Nate Hinton (two-way)
SF: Dorian Finney-Smith, Wesley Iwundu
PF: Maxi Kleber, James Johnson, Tyler Bey (two-way)
C: Willie Cauley-Stein, Dwight Powell, Boban Marjanovic, Kristaps Porzingis (injured)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $868,154 (Trey Burke, Willie Cauley-Stein, Tyrell Terry)
Waived Players: JJ Barea, Freddie Gillespie, Devonte Patterson, Courtney Lee
Traded Players: Seth Curry, Delon Wright, Justin Jackson
G-League Affiliate: Texas Legends (general manager Malcolm Farmer, head coach George Galanopoulos)
Two-Way Players: Tyler Bey, Nate Hinton
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Mark Cuban
- Donn Nelson — president of basketball operations/general manager
- Keith Grant — assistant general manager
- Michael Finley — vice president of basketball operations
- Keith Grant — assistant general manager
- Jason White — director of scouting
- Terry Sullivan — director of basketball administration
Head Coach: Rick Carlisle
Assistants: Jamahl Mosley, Mike Weinar, Zach Guthrie, Jenny Boucek, Darrell Armstrong, God Shammgod (player development coach), Peter Patton (shooting coach), Mike Shedd (player development coach/basketball technology director)
Training Staff: Casey Smith (director of player health and performance), Dionne Calhoun (head athletic trainer), Heather Mau (assistant athletic trainer), Jeremy Holsopple (director of athletic performance)
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Josh McRoberts).
- 2023 — Owe the lower second-rounder (Miami HEAT or Mavericks) to the Memphis Grizzlies (Delon Wright), which may go to the Boston Celtics (Desmond Bane). Owe the higher second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (James Johnson).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) to the New York Knicks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (James Johnson).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Wesley Iwundu, Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Burke.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 7/31/21 — Player option deadline for Josh Richardson.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Willie Cauley Stein.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/1/21 — Jalen Brunson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Luka Doncic.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Josh Green.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Luka Doncic.
- 7/3/22 — Maxi Kleber’s $9,475,000 (incentives TBD) for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Josh Green.
- 6/29/23 — Player option on Kristaps Porzingis.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Tyrell Terry.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Josh Green.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Josh Green.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 11/18/20 — Renounced the rights to Dirk Nowitzki, Salah Mejri and Devin Harris.
- 11/18/20 — Draft Josh Green (2020-18th) and Tyrell Terry (2020-21st).
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Antonius Cleveland and Josh Reaves.
- 11/19/20 — Tim Hardaway Jr. opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Willie Cauley-Stein opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Seth Curry to the Philadelphia 76ers for Josh Richardson and the rights to Tyler Bey (2020-36th).
- 11/27/20 — Traded Justin Jackson, a 2023-second rounder (the higher of the Miami HEAT and Mavericks) and a 2026 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Delon Wright to the Detroit Pistons for James Johnson from the Thunder.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Tyler Bey (2020-36th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Josh Green (2020-18th) to a $13,638,019 rookie-scale contract.
- 12/1/20 — Picked up Luka Doncic’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed Willie Cauley-Stein to a two-year $8.2 million contract, team option on the final season.
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed Trey Burke to a three-year $9,450,000 contract, player option on the final season.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Wesley Iwundu to a two-year $3,502,857 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Re-signed JJ Barea to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Tyrell Terry (2020-21st) to a four-year $6,621,489 contract, team option on the final season.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Nate Hinton to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/1/20 — Signed Freddie Gillespie to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/1/20 — Signed Devonte Patterson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/10/20 — Waived JJ Barea.
- 12/11/20 — Re-signed Courtney Lee to a non-guaranteed $2,564,753 minimum summer contract.
- 12/18/20 — Waived Devonte Patterson and Freddie Gillespie.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Courtney Lee.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
- Kristaps Porzingis — five percent
- Trey Burke — 7.5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Willie Cauley-Stein (One-Year Bird)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First Rounders: Petteri Koponen (2007-30th)
- Second rounders: Stanko Barac (2007-39th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Arena: American Airlines Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/4/21)