Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the JaMychal Green signing via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Monte Morris, Facundo Campazzo, Shaquille Harrison (two-way), Markus Howard (two-way), Jamal Murray (injured)
SG: Will Barton, PJ Dozier, Austin Rivers
SF: Aaron Gordon, Vlatko Cancar
PF: Michael Porter Jr, Paul Millsap, Zeke Nnaji
C: Nikola Jokic, JaMychal Green, JaVale McGee, Bol Manute Bol
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jerami Grant, expiring 8/6/21*) — $5,325,000
- Trade Exception (RJ Hampton, expiring 2/11/22*) — $2,193,480
- Trade Exception (Isaiah Hartenstein, expiring 2/11/22*) — $1,620,564
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Bol Manute Bol, JaMychal Green)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $423,000 (Facundo Compazzo)
* Exact date TBD.
Waived Players: Keita Bates-Diop, Gary Clark, Greg Whittington (two-way)
Traded Players: Jerami Grant (sign-and-trade), Gary Harris, RJ Hampton, Isaiah Hartenstein
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Austin Rivers
G-League Affiliate: Grand Rapids Drive (starting with the 2021-22 season)
Two-Way Contracts: Markus Howard, Shaquille Harrison
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Josh Kroenke
- Tim Connelly — president of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — general manager
- Tommy Balcetis — assistant general manager
- Lisa Johnson — vice president of basketball administration
- Ben Tenzer — director of basketball operations
- Amy O’Brien — director of team operations/player development
- Jim Clibanoff — director of scouting
- Scott Howard — manager of player personnel
Head Coach: Mike Malone
Assistants: Wes Unseld Jr (associate head coach), David Adelman, Jordi Fernandez, Ryan Bowen, Charles Klask, John Beckett
Training Staff: Steve Short (director of sports medicine), Dan Shimensky (head athletic trainer), Felipe Eichenberger (head strength and conditioning coach), Jason Miller (assistant athletic trainer/assistant strength and conditioning coach)
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Wilson Chandler, Alec Burks, Kelly Oubre).
- 2022 — Philadelphia 76ers can swap second-rounders with the higher pick going to the Minnesota Timberwolves (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler), the lower going to the Miami HEAT (Bol Manute Bol). May go to the Houston Rockets via Miami (Victor Oladipo).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (RJ Hampton).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (top-46 protected) to the Cleveland Cavaliers (JaVale McGee).
- 2025 — Owe a first-rounder (two years after the obligation to the Oklahoma City Thunder, top-5 protected through 2027, otherwise does not convey) to the Orlando Magic (Aaron Gordon).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (JaVale McGee).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 from the Detroit Pistons (Jerami Grant) — $5,507,00 remaining
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Player options on Will Barton and JaMychal Green.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Vlatko Cancar’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- 8/6/21 — Jerami Grant trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 8/16/21 — PJ Dozier’s salary guarantees at $200,000 for 2021-22 (10 days after the final day of the moratorium).
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Zeke Nnaji.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Michael Porter Jr.
- Before the first day of the 2021-22 season — PJ Dozier’s salary guarantees at $400,000 for 2021-22.
- 2/11/22 — RJ Hampton and Isaiah Hartenstein trade exceptions expired (exact date TBD).
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Facundo Campazzo.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Zeke Nnaji.
- 12/11/22 — PJ Dozier’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2021-22 (30 days prior to the standard 1/10/22 cut-down date).
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Bol Manute Bol, Michael Porter Jr. and Vlatko Cancar.
- Before the first day of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Zeke Nnaji.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Zeke Nnaji.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/17/20 — Issued a $2,500,000 qualifying offer to Torrey Craig.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Zeke Nnaji (2020-22nd).
- 11/19/20 — Jerami Grant opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 11/20/20 — Monte Morris’ $1,723,707 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/21/20 — Withdrew Torrey Craig’s qualifying offer.
- 11/22/20 — Waived Keita Bates-Diop.
- 11/22/20 — Traded Jerami Grant (via sign-and-trade) and the rights to Nikola Radicevic (2015-57th) to the Detroit Pistons for $110,000.
- 11/23/20 — Traded a 2023 first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rights to RJ Hampton (2020-24th) from the Milwaukee Bucks in a four-way trade with the New Orleans Pelicans.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Greg Whittington to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/24/20 — Signed Bol Manute Bol to a two-year $4,219,392 contract, ending his two-way.
- 11/30/20 — Signed JaMychal Green to a two-year $14,759,508 contract, player option on the final season.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Facundo Compazzo to a two-year $6.4 million contract (including $250,000 as international buyout).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Zeke Nnaji (2020-22nd) to a $11,802681 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed RJ Hampton (2020-24th) to a $11,129,417 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Markus Howard to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Isaiah Hartenstein to a two-year $3,383,360 minimum contract, player option on the final season.
- 12/2/20 — Re-signed Paul Millsap to an $11 million contract (including $1 million in unlikely incentives).
- 12/9/20 — Re-signed Monte Morris to a three-year $27,375,000 extension.
- 12/10/20 — Picked up Michael Porter Jr.’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 2/24/21– PJ Dozier’s $1,762,796 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 3/19/21 — Juancho Hernangomez trade exception ($3,321,030) expired.
- 3/22/21 — Shabazz Napier trade exception ($1,645,357) expired.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Gary Harris, RJ Hampton and a 2025 first-rounder (two years after the obligation to the Oklahoma City Thunder, top-5 protected through 2027, otherwise nothing conveys) to the Orlando Magic for Aaron Gordon and Gary Clark.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Isaiah Hartenstein, a 2023 second-rounder (top-46 protected) and a 2027 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for JaVale McGee.
- 4/8/21 — Waived Gary Clark.
- 4/9/21 — Waived Greg Whittington (two-way).
- 4/9/21 — Signed Shaquille Harrison to a two-way contract.
- 4/20/21 — Signed Austin Rivers to a 10-day $158,907 contract.
- 4/30/21 — Austin Rivers’ 10-day contract expired.
- 4/20/21 — Re-signed Austin Rivers for the rest of the season to a $270,142 contract.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Paul Millsap (One-Year Bird)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Petr Cornelie (2016-53rd), Izzet Turkyilmaz (2012-50th), Sani Becirovic (2003-46th), Xue Yuyang (2003-57th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: None
- Non-Bird: Troy Daniels ($1,620,564), Richard Jefferson*** ($1,620,564)
*** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Ball Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/7/21)