Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the DJ Augustin signing via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the tax.
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
NBA Draft: No. 24 to the Houston Rockets (PJ Tucker), No. 54 to the Indiana Pacers (George Hill, Alec Burks, Nik Stauskas/Wade Baldwin)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Eurelijus Zukauskas (1995-54th), Andrei Fetisov (1994-36th)
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, two player options
PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Donte DiVincenzo, Bryn Forbes (PO), Sam Merrill, Elijah Bryant
SF: Khris Middleton, Pat Connaughton, Jordan Nwora
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Mamadi Diakite
C: Brook Lopez, Bobby Portis (PO)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Torrey Craig, expiring 2/4/22) — $1,620,564
- Trade Exception (DJ Augustin, expiring 2/7/22) — $4,886,515
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Sam Merrill $1,517,981 — 8/7/21
- Mamadi Diakite $1,517,981 ($100,000 guaranteed) — 12/15/21 (increases to $500,000)
- Elijah Bryant $1,517,981 — 12/15/21 (increases to $500,000)
* Cut-down dates may be adjusted by the NBA once the final 2021-22 calendar is set. Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Bobby Portis (player)
- Bryn Forbes (player)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: PJ Tucker ($15,142,120)
- Early Bird: Thanasis Antetokounmpo (RFA, $2,126,991)
- Non-Bird: Bobby Portis ($4,347,600 on opt out), Bryn Forbes ($2,804,574 on opt out), Jeff Teague ($1,669,178), Justin Jackson (two-way, RFA, $1,789,256), Axel Toupane (two-way, RFA)
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo $2,212,991
- Justin Jackson $1,789,256 ($84,414 guaranteed)
- Axel Toupane (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Donte DiVincenzo
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Wisconsin Herd (Dave Dean general manager, Jordan Brady head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Marc Lasry
- Jon Horst — general manager
- Milt Newton — assistant general manager
- Dave Dean — vice president of basketball operations
- Ryan Hoover — vice president of global scouting
- Matt Bollero — director of scouting
- Tony Bollier — director of basketball operations
- Dave Babcock — vice president of player personnel
- Patrick Haneman — vice president, basketball strategy & analytics
Head Coach: Mike Budenholzer
Assistants: Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Patrick St. Andrews, Chad Forcier, Ben Sullivan, Vin Baker, Mike Dunlap, Josh Oppenheimer
Trainer: Troy Flanagan (director of performance) Scott Faust (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Forfeit second-rounder (Bogdan Bogdanovic).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder to the Houston Rockets (PJ Tucker).
- 2024 — The New Orleans Pelicans have first-round swap rights (Jrue Holiday).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers (Malcolm Brogdon).
- 2025 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jrue Holiday).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Ilkan Karaman).
- 2026 — The New Orleans Pelicans have first-round swap rights (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Orlando Magic (Jordan Nwora).
- 2027 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jrue Holiday).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 from the Phoenix Suns (Torrey Craig) — $5,507,000 remaining
- 7/17/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Mamadi Diakite.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Rodions Kurucs.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Thanasis Antetokounmpo.
- 7/31/21 — Player options on Bryn Forbes and Bobby Portis.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 8/7/21 — Sam Merrill’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22 (five days after the start of the 2021-22 moratorium).
- 8/11/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Elijah Bryant.
- 9/6/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jrue Holiday.
- First day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Donte DiVincenzo.
- 12/15/21 — Elijah Bryant’s salary guarantees at $500,000.
- 12/15/21 — Mamadi Diakite’s salary guarantees at $500,000.
- 1/7/22 — Mamadi Diakite and Elijah Bryant’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 2/4/22 — Torrey Craig trade exception expires.
- 2/7/22 — DJ Augustin trade exception expires.
- 6/29/22 — Eric Bledsoe’s $19,375,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sam Merrill, Elijah Bryant, Donte DiVincenzo and Jordan Nwora.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on Pat Connaughton.
- 9/22/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- 1/7/23 — Mamadi Diakite’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Player option on Khris Middleton.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Mamadi Diakite.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Fiserv Forum
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)