Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap and luxury tax.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Jrue Holiday, George Hill
SG: Donte DiVincenzo, Grayson Allen, Rodney Hood, Elijah Bryant
SF: Khris Middleton, Pat Connaughton, Jordan Nwora, Georgios Kalaitzakis
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Semi Ojeleye, Mamadi Diakite, Sandro Mamukelashvilli (two-way)
C: Brook Lopez, Bobby Portis
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Torrey Craig, expiring 2/4/22) — $1,620,564
- Trade Exception (DJ Augustin, expiring 2/7/22) — $831,820
- Trade Exception (Sam Merrill, expiring 7/7/22) — $500,000
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $1,890,000 (George Hill)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Mamadi Diakite $1,517,981 ($100,000 guaranteed) — 12/15/21 (increases to $500,000)
- Elijah Bryant $1,517,981 — 12/15/21 (increases to $500,000)
- Georgios Kalaitzakis $925,258 ($462,629 guaranteed) — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Jeff Teague ($1,669,178), Justin Jackson (two-way), Axel Toupane (two-way)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Donte DiVincenzo
- Grayson Allen
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Sam Merrill
G-League Affiliate: Wisconsin Herd (Dave Dean general manager, Jordan Brady head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Sandro Mamukelashvilli (two years)
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Marc Lasry
- Jon Horst — general manager
- Milt Newton — assistant general manager
- Dave Dean — vice president of basketball operations
- Ryan Hoover — vice president of global scouting
- Matt Bollero — director of scouting
- Tony Bollier — director of basketball operations
- Dave Babcock — vice president of player personnel
- Patrick Haneman — vice president, basketball strategy & analytics
Head Coach: Mike Budenholzer
Assistants: Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Patrick St. Andrews, Chad Forcier, Ben Sullivan, Vin Baker, Mike Dunlap, Josh Oppenheimer
Trainer: Troy Flanagan (director of performance) Scott Faust (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Forfeit second-rounder (Bogdan Bogdanovic).
- 2023 — Owe a first-rounder to the Houston Rockets (PJ Tucker).
- 2024 — The New Orleans Pelicans have first-round swap rights (Jrue Holiday).
- 2025 — Owed a second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers (Malcolm Brogdon).
- 2025 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jrue Holiday).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Ilkan Karaman).
- 2026 — The New Orleans Pelicans have first-round swap rights (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Orlando Magic (Jordan Nwora).
- 2027 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Jrue Holiday).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $1 million from the Memphis Grizzlies (Grayson Allen) — $4,785,000
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Grayson Allen.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Donte DiVincenzo and Grayson Allen.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 12/15/21 — Elijah Bryant’s salary guarantees at $500,000.
- 12/15/21 — Mamadi Diakite’s salary guarantees at $500,000.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Semi Ojeleye, Rodney Hood, Bobby Portis and George Hill.
- 1/7/22 — Mamadi Diakite and Elijah Bryant’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — Georgios Kalaitzakis’ $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 2/4/22 — Torrey Craig trade exception expires.
- 2/7/22 — DJ Augustin trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Eric Bledsoe’s $19,375,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Elijah Bryant, Donte DiVincenzo, Grayson Allen and Jordan Nwora.
- 6/29/22 — Player options for Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Pat Connaughton and Bobby Portis.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Sam Merrill trade exception expires.
- 7/8/22 — Sandro Mamukelashvilli’s two-way contract guarantees at $50,000 for 2022-23.
- 8/25/22 — Georgios Kalaitzakis’ guarantees at $1,563,518.
- 9/22/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- 1/7/23 — Mamadi Diakite’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 1/7/23 — Georgios Kalaitzakis’ $1,563,518 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Player option on Khris Middleton.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Mamadi Diakite.
- 1/7/24 — Georgios Kalaitzakis’ $1,836,096 for 2023-24.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Georgios Kalaitzakis.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Isaiah Todd (2021-31st).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Isaiah Todd (2021-31st) to the Indiana Pacers for Sandro Mamukelashvilli (2021-54th), Georgios Kalaitzakis (2021-60th), the higher of the Pacers 2024 second-rounder or the lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Utah Jazz, and the higher of the Miami Heat or Pacers 2026 second-rounder.
- 8/1/21 — Bryn Forbes and Bobby Portis opted out of their final seasons.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Axel Toupane and Justin Jackson.
- 8/3/21 — Signed Sandro Mamukelashvilli (2021-54th) to a two-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Bobby Portis to a two-year $8,912,580 with Non-Bird Rights, player option on the final season.
- 8/6/21 — Signed George Hill to a two-year $8 million contract via the taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Rodney Hood to a $2,239,544 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Semi Ojeleye to a $1,789,256 minimum contract.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Sam Merrill, the highest 2024 second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers or (the lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Utah Jazz) and the higher 2026 second-rounder from the Miami HEAT or Pacers to the Memphis Grizzlies for Grayson Allen (via the DJ Augustin trade exception) and $1 million.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Georgios Kalaitzakis (2021-60th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,324,872 contract, via the taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/12/21 — Re-signed Thanasis Antetokounmpo to a two-year $3,607,937 minimum contract, player option on the final season.
No-Trade: Bobby Portis (One-Year Bird), Thanasis Antetokounmpo (One-Year Bird)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Eurelijus Zukauskas (1995-54th), Andrei Fetisov (1994-36th)
Arena: Fiserv Forum
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/9/21)