Quick: Under the cap by up to approximately $9.1 million and hard-capped by the Austin Rivers sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $70.2 million in cap space, $52.7 million with Julius Randle’s partially-guaranteed $19.8 million.
NBA Draft: No. 19, No. 21 from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis), No. 32 from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris), No. 58 from the New York Knicks (James Ennis, George Hill); No. 50 to the Philadelphia 76ers (Willy Hernangomez)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Mathias Lessort (2017-50th), Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Ante Tomic (2008-44th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd)
Roster Count: Four guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, one team option
PG: Immanuel Quickley, Luca Vildoza
SG: RJ Barrett
SF: Kevin Knox
PF: Julius Randle, Obi Toppin
C: Mitchell Robinson (TO), Norvel Pelle
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Projected Room Exception — $4,910,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Julius Randle $19.8 ($4 million guaranteed) — 7/30/21
- Luca Vildoza $3,325,000 — the day after the first game of the season
- Norvel Pelle $1,701,593 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Mitchell Robinson $1,802,057 (team)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Frank Ntilikina ($18,529,734, RFA), Mitchell Robinson ($2,079,826 on opt out, RFA)
- Early Bird: Derrick Rose ($9,987,804), Elfrid Payton ($6,197,100), Reggie Bullock ($5,460,000), Taj Gibson ($1,669,178), Theo Pinson (two-way, RFA)
- Non-Bird: Alec Burks ($7,200,000), Nerlens Noel ($6 million), Jared Harper (two-way, RFA)
- Theo Pinson
- Frank Ntilikina $8,326,027
- Mitchell Robinson $2,079,826 (on opt out)
- Jared Harper (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
- Theo Pinson (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Kevin Knox
- Obi Toppin (third-year)
- Immanuel Quickley (third-year)
- RJ Barrett (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks (director of basketball operations Joel Abelson, Derrick Alston head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: James Dolan
- Leon Rose – president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- William Wesley — executive vice president, senior basketball advisor
- Walt Perrin — assistant general manager, college scouting
- Frank Zanin — assistant general manager, pro scouting
- Brock Aller — vice president, basketball and strategic planning
- Allan Houston — special assistant to the general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Joel Abelson — director, basketball operations
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: Johnnie Bryant (associate head coach), Darren Erman, Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Mike Woodson, Kenny Payne
Trainer: Anthony Goenaga
- 2023 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu, Ricky Rubio).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis).
- 2024 — The Knicks have swap rights with the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis) for the higher of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Jazz’ second-rounders.
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone, George Hill).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Minnesota Timberwolves (Omari Spellman).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 to the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis)
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/18/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Norvel Pelle.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/30/21 — Julius Randle’s $21,780,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Frank Ntilikina.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Mitchell Robinson.
- 7/31/21 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/4/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Luca Vildoza.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Kevin Knox.
- After the first game of the season (11:59 PM) — Luca Vildoza’s $3,250,000 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin.
- 1/7/22 — Norvel Pelle’s $1,701,593 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer on Ignas Brazdeikis and Kevin Knox.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Norvel Pelle.
- 9/7/22 (or 90 days after the last day of the moratorium, the latter) — Luca Vildoza’s guarantees at $1,575,000 for 2022-23.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for RJ Barrett.
- After the first game of the season (11:59 PM) — Luca Vildoza’s $3,150,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- 1/7/23 — Norvel Pelle’s $1,846,738 guarantees for 202-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for RJ Barrett.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Luca Vildoza.
- 9/7/23 (or 90 days after the last day of the moratorium, the latter) — Luca Vildoza’s guarantees at $1,575,000 for 2024-24
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- After the first game of the season (11:59 PM) — Luca Vildoza’s $3,150,000 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Madison Square Garden
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)