Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Evan Fournier sign-and-trade.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Hard Cap: $143,002,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, one two-way, three summer contracts
PG: Kemba Walker, Derrick Rose, Luca Vildoza, Miles McBride
SG: Evan Fournier, Immanuel Quickley, Quentin Grimes
SF: RJ Barrett, Alec Burks, Kevin Knox, Dwayne Bacon (summer contract), MJ Walker (summer contract)
PF: Julius Randle, Obi Toppin, Aamir Simms (summer contract)
C: Nerlens Noel, Mitchell Robinson, Taj Gibson, Jericho Sims (two-way)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $0 — Taj Gibson
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Luca Vildoza $3,325,000 — the day after the first game of the season
- Dwayne Bacon $1,789,256 — 1/7/22
- Aamir Simms $925,258 — 1/7/22
- MJ Walker $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Kevin Knox
- Obi Toppin (third-year)
- Immanuel Quickley (third-year)
- RJ Barrett (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks (director of basketball operations Joel Abelson, Derrick Alston head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jericho Sims (two years)
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: James Dolan
- Leon Rose – president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- William Wesley — executive vice president, senior basketball advisor
- Walt Perrin — assistant general manager, college scouting
- Frank Zanin — assistant general manager, pro scouting
- Brock Aller — vice president, basketball and strategic planning
- Allan Houston — special assistant to the general manager
- Jamie Mathews — vice president, basketball operations
- Joel Abelson — director, basketball operations
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: Johnnie Bryant (associate head coach), Darren Erman, Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Mike Woodson, Kenny Payne
Trainer: Anthony Goenaga
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-18 protected in 2022, top-16 protected in 2023, top-14 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders) from the Charlotte Hornets (Kai Jones).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Charlotte Hornets (Gordon Hayward, Evan Fournier).
- 2023 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu, Ricky Rubio).
- 2023 — Owed the lowest second-rounder between the Oklahoma City Thunder, Washington Wizards and the higher of the Miami HEAT and Dallas Mavericks (Josh McRoberts, Delon Wright, Bruno Caboclo, Desmond Bane, James Johnson, Markieff Morris, Steven Adams, James Harden, Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier).
- 2024 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Utah Jazz and Cleveland Cavaliers (George Hill, Ed Davis, James Harden, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone, George Hill).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Luke Kennard, Keon Johnson).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Minnesota Timberwolves (Omari Spellman).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $110,000 to the Boston Celtics (Evan Fournier) — $5,675,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Kevin Knox.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- After the first game of the season — Luca Vildoza’s $3,250,000 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Nerlens Noel, MJ Walker, Taj Gibson, Aamir Simms, Dwayne Bacon, Alec Burks, Evan Fournier and Kemba Walker.
- 1/7/22 — Dwayne Bacon’s $1,789,256 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — MJ Walker and Aamir Simms’ $925,258 guarantee for 2021-22.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Derrick Rose.
- 2/3/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Julius Randle.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer on Ignas Brazdeikis, MJ Walker, Aamir Simms and Kevin Knox.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Steven Adams trade exception expires.
- 9/7/22 (or 90 days after the last day of the moratorium, the latter) — Luca Vildoza’s guarantees at $1,575,000 for 2022-23.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for RJ Barrett.
- After the first game of the season — Luca Vildoza’s $3,150,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Quentin Grimes, Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- 1/7/23 — Taj Gibson’s $5,155,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for RJ Barrett and Jericho Sims.
- 6/29/23 — Team options on Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Luca Vildoza and Nerlens Noel.
- 9/7/23 (or 90 days after the last day of the moratorium, the latter) — Luca Vildoza’s guarantees at $1,575,000 for 2024-24
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- After the first game of the season (11:59 PM) — Luca Vildoza’s $3,150,000 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 10/31/23 — Team option on Quentin Grimes.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- 6/29/24 — Team option on Evan Fournier.
- Before first day of the 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Quentin Grimes.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for Quentin Grimes.
- 6/29/25 — Player option for Julius Randle.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Kai Jones (2021-19th), Keon Johnson (2021-21st) and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (2021-32nd).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Kai Jones (2020-19th) to the Charlotte Hornets for a protected 2022 first-rounder (top-18 protected in 2022, top-16 protected in 2023, top-14 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to 2026 and 2027 second-rounders).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Keon Johnson (2021-21st) to the Los Angeles Clippers for Quentin Grimes (2021-25th) and a Detroit Pistons 2024 second-rounder.
- 7/30/21 — Traded Jeremiah Robinson Earl (2021-32nd) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Rokas Jokubaitis (2021-34th) and Miles McBride (2021-36th).
- 7/31/21 — Waived Norvel Pelle.
- 7/31/21 — Opted Mitchell Robinson into his final season.
- 7/31/21 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,802,057 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Julius Randle’s $21,780,000 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Frank Ntilikina, Jared Harper and Theo Pinson.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Miles McBride (2021-36th) to a three-year $4,325,142 contract via cap room, team option on the final season.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Quentin Grimes (2021-25th) to a $11,128,042 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Jericho Sims to a two-way contract.
- 8/9/21 — Renounced the rights to Frank Ntilikina, Taj Gibson, Elfrid Payton, Jared Harper and Theo Pinson.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Kemba Walker to a two-year $17,894,491 contract.
- 8/11/21 — Re-signed Nerlens Noel to a three-year $31,878,000 contract ($4,158,000 in unlikely incentives), via cap room, team option on the final season.
- 8/16/21 — Renounced the rights to Alec Burks.
- 8/16/21 — Re-signed Alec Burks to a three-year $30,038,400 contract, via cap room, team option on the final season.
- 8/17/21 — Traded $110,000 to the Boston Celtics for Evan Fournier (via sign-and-trade in to cap room, to a four-year $79 million contract with $1.5 million of unlikely incentives each season), a Charlotte Hornets 2023 second-rounder (top-55 protected) and the lowest 2023 second-rounder from the Oklahoma City Thunder, Washington Wizards and (the higher of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT).
- 8/17/21 — Re-signed Derrick Rose to a three-year $43,562,189 contract, via Early Bird Rights, team option on the final season.
- 8/17/21 — Re-signed Taj Gibson to a partially-guaranteed two-year $10,065,500 contract, via the room mid-level exception.
- 8/18/21 — Signed Dwayne Bacon to a non-guaranteed $1,789,256 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/18/21 — Signed Aamir Simms to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/20/21 — Signed MJ Walker to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/26/21 — Re-signed Julius Randle to a $117,089,280 contract extension (incentives TBD), adding four additional seasons with a 15 percent trade kicker, player option on the final season.
- Julius Randle — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Rokas Jokubaitis (2021-34th), Mathias Lessort (2017-50th), Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Ante Tomic (2008-44th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: Madison Square Garden
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/9/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Rockets vs. Wolves: Preview, Prediction and Betting Odds
- Milwaukee Bucks reveal their fancy 2021 NBA Finals championship rings
- Celtics vs. Knicks: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Wizards vs Raptors: Preview, Predictions and Betting Lines
- Bulls vs. Pistons: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks