Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Up to $44.9 million, less with player options and guarantees.
Roster Count: Six guaranteed, two team options, five non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Elfrid Payton, Dennis Smith Jr., Frank Ntilikina
SG: RJ Barrett, Wayne Ellington, Theo Pinson (TO)
SF: Reggie Bullock, Kevin Knox, Ignas Brazdeikis
PF: Julius Randle, Bobby Portis (TO), Kenny Wooten (two-way)
C: Taj Gibson, Mitchell Robinson
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Marcus Morris, expiring 2/6/21) — $3,988,766
- Room Exception — $4,767,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 6th ($5,813,640 cap hold), 27th ($1,977,000 cap hold) from the Los Angeles Clippers (Marcus Morris), 38th from the Charlotte Hornets (Willy Hernangomez); 36th to the Philadelphia 76ers (Timofey Mozgov)
* Lottery/Standings TBD
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Yusuf Sanon (2018-44th), Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Taj Gibson $9,450,000 ($1 million guaranteed) — 10/17/20
- Wayne Ellington $8,000,000 ($1 million guaranteed) — 10/17/20
- Elfrid Payton $8,000,000 ($1 million guaranteed) — 10/17/20
- Reggie Bullock $4,000,000 ($1 million guaranteed) — 10/17/20
- Mitchell Robinson $1,663,861 — 10/17/20
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: Mo Harkless ($16,516,851), Damyean Dotson (RFA, $2,023,150)
- Early Bird: Theo Pinson (TO, $1,701,593)
- Non-Bird: Bobby Portis (TO, $18,000,000), Jared Harper (two-way)
* Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Damyean Dotson — $2,023,150
- Theo Pinson (PO) — $1,901,593
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Frank Ntilikina
- Dennis Smith Jr.
- RJ Barrett
- Kevin Knox
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks (general manager Allan Houston, Mike Miller head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Kenny Wooten
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Trainer: Roger Hinds, Anthony Goenaga (assistant)
- Leon Rose – president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- Gerald Madkins — assistant general manager
- Allan Houston — assistant general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Michael Acieri — director, basketball strategy
- Harold Ellis — director, player personnel
- Craig Robinson — vice president, player development and G-League operations.
- Glen Grunwald — basketball advisor
- John Gabriel — director, basketball operations
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2021 — First-round swap rights with the Los Angeles Clippers, provided the Clippers’ pick is lower than 4th (Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Guillermo Hernangomez).
- 2023 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Taj Gibson’s $9 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/17/20 — Elfrid Payton and Wayne Ellington’s $8 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/17/20 — Reggie Bullock’s $4.2 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/17/20 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 10/17/20 — Team options on Bobby Portis and Theo Pinson.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- Before the first day of the 2020-21 season — Extension deadlines on Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith Jr.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett (revised date TBD).
- 2/6/21 — Marcus Morris trade exception expires.
- 6/28/21 — Julius Randle’s $21,780,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/2021 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Frank Ntilikina, Ignas Brazdeikis and Dennis Smith Jr.
- 6/29/2021 — Team options on Mitchell Robinson and Ignas Brazdeikis.
- 6/29/2021 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
- First day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Kevin Knox.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on RJ Barrett.
- 6/29/2022 — Qualifying offer on Kevin Knox.
- Before first day of the 2022 season — Extension deadline for RJ Barrett.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for RJ Barrett.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 7/30/20 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as head coach.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Madison Square Garden
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/17/20)