Quick: Under the cap by up to approximately $13.3 million and hard-capped by the Austin Rivers sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $70.1 million in cap space, less with Julius Randle’s partially-guaranteed $19.8 million.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two two-ways, one 10-day contract
PG: Elfrid Payton, Derrick Rose, Frank Ntilikina, Jared Harper (two-way)
SG: RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley
SF: Reggie Bullock, Alec Burks, Kevin Knox, Theo Pinson (two-way)
PF: Julius Randle, Obi Toppin
C: Nerlens Noel, Taj Gibson, Norvel Pelle, Mitchell Robinson (injured)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $4,767,000
Waived Players: Taj Gibson, Elfrid Payton, Wayne Ellington, Kenny Wooten (two-way, claimed by the Houston Rockets), Jacob Evans, Skal Labissiere, Andrew White III, Tyler Hall, James Young, Louis King, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bryce Brown, Myles Powell, Omari Spellman, Terrance Ferguson, Vincent Poirier
Traded Players: Ed Davis, Dennis Smith Jr, Austin Rivers, Ignas Brazdeikis
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Norvel Pelle, John Henson
G-League Affiliate: Westchester Knicks (director of basketball operations Joel Abelson, Derrick Alston head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jared Harper, Theo Pinson
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: James Dolan
- Leon Rose – president
- Scott Perry — general manager
- William Wesley — executive vice president, senior basketball advisor
- Walt Perrin — assistant general manager, college scouting
- Frank Zanin — assistant general manager, pro scouting
- Brock Aller — vice president, basketball and strategic planning
- Allan Houston — special assistant to the general manager
- Jamie Matthews — vice president, basketball operations
- Joel Abelson — director, basketball operations
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Assistants: Johnnie Bryant (associate head coach), Darren Erman, Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Mike Woodson, Kenny Payne
Trainer: Anthony Goenaga
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2021 — First-round swap rights with the Los Angeles Clippers, provided the Clippers’ pick is lower than 4th (Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris).
- 2021 — Owed a the lower second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers and Houston Rockets (James Ennis, George Hill).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Willy Hernangomez).
- 2023 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2025, otherwise converts to a 2025 second-rounder) from the Dallas Mavericks (Kristaps Porzingis).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu, Ricky Rubio).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis).
- 2024 — The Knicks have swap rights with the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis) for the higher of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Jazz’ second-rounders.
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone, George Hill).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Minnesota Timberwolves (Omari Spellman).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 to the Utah Jazz (Ed Davis)
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 4/22/21 — Norvel Pelle’s 10-day contract expires.
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/30/21 — Julius Randle’s $21,780,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Frank Ntilikina.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Mitchell Robinson.
- 7/31/21 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,802,057 guarantees for 2021-22.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Kevin Knox.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer on Ignas Brazdeikis and Kevin Knox.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for RJ Barrett.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for RJ Barrett.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/30/20 — Hired Tom Thibodeau as head coach.
- 11/17/20 — Traded 2020-27th and 2020-38th to the Utah Jazz for 2020-23rd and the rights to Ante Tomic (2008-44th).
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Obi Toppin (2020-8th) and Leandro Bolmaro (2020-53rd).
- 11/19/20 — Waived Taj Gibson, Elfrid Payton, Wayne Ellington and Kenny Wooten (two-way, claimed by the Houston Rockets).
- 11/19/20 — Reggie Bullock’s $4.2 million guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 11/19/20 — Declined team options on Bobby Portis and Theo Pinson.
- 11/19/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Jared Harper.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offers to Damyean Dotson and Theo Pinson.
- 11/20/20 — Traded the rights to Leandro Bolmaro (2020-53rd) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the rights to Mathias Lessort (2017-50th) and a 2023 second-rounder, and the rights to Immanuel Quickley (2020-25th) from the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- 11/22/20 — Renounced the rights to Mo Harkless.
- 11/22/20 — Traded $110,000 to the Utah Jazz for Ed Davis and two second-rounders (2023 and 2024).
- 11/22/20 — Signed Alec Burks to a $6 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Obi Toppin (2020-8th) to a $22,118,492 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Jared Harper to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/24/20 — Traded Ed Davis to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jacob Evans, Omari Spellman and a 2026 second-rounder.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Nerlens Noel to a $5 million contract.
- 11/25/20 — Traded the rights to Yusuf Sanon (2018-44th) to the Houston Rockets for Austin Rivers (via sign and trade) and the rights to Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd) and Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd). Rivers signed a partially-guaranteed three-year $9,975,000 contract.
- 11/28/20 — Mitchell Robinson’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/28/20 — Signed Immanuel Quickley (2020-25th) to a $10,803,948 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/29/20 — Re-signed Theo Pinson to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/29/20 — Re-signed Elfrid Payton to a $4,767,000 contract.
- 11/29/20 — Signed Myles Powell to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a non-guaranteed $2,320,044 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 12/8/20 — Signed Skal Labissiere to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/9/20 — Waived Jacob Evans.
- 12/10/20 — Signed James Young to a $1,737,145 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/11/20 — Waived Skal Labissiere.
- 12/11/20 — Signed Andrew White III to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/12/20 — Waived Andrew White III.
- 12/12/20 — Signed Tyler Hall to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/14/20 — Waived Tyler Hall.
- 12/15/20 — Signed Bryce Brown to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/16/20 — Waived James Young.
- 12/16/20 — Signed Louis King to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/17/20 — Waived Louis King.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bryce Brown and Myles Powell.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadlines on Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith Jr elapsed.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on RJ Barrett.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Kevin Knox.
- 12/29/20 — Declined the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Omari Spellman.
- 1/7/21 — Waived Omari Spellman.
- 1/7/21 — Signed Taj Gibson for the rest of the season at a non-guaranteed $2,283,684.
- 2/8/21 — Traded Dennis Smith Jr and a 2021 Charlotte Hornets second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons for Derrick Rose.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Austin Rivers to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Ignas Brazdeikis to the Philadelphia 76ers for Terrance Ferguson, Vincent Poirier, the rights to Emir Preldzic (2009-57th), a 2021 second-rounder (the lower of the Houston Rockets and Sixers) and a Miami HEAT 2024 second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Sixers for George Hill to the Thunder and Ignas Brazdeikis to the 76ers.
- 3/28/21 — Waived Terrance Ferguson and Vincent Poirier.
- 4/2/21 — Signed Norvel Pelle to a 10-day $99,020 contract.
- 4/5/21 — Signed John Henson to a 10-day $158,097 contract.
- 4/12/21 — Re-signed Norvel Pelle to a second 10-day $99,020 contract.
- 4/15/21 — John Henson’s 10-day contract expired.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Elfrid Payton (One-Year Bird); Taj Gibson (One-Year Bird)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Mathias Lessort (2017-50th), Ognjen Jaramaz (2017-58th), Louis Labeyrie (2014-57th), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Ante Tomic (2008-44th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Madison Square Garden
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/20/21)