The Golden State Warriors signed shooting guard Klay Thompson to a multi-year contract extension, the team announced Friday.
Although the Warriors did not provide details of the extension, multiple media outlets reported it is four-year maximum extension worth approximately $70 million.
“We’re excited to have one of the top young players in the NBA under contract for the next several years,” said Warriors general manager Bob Myers in a statement. “Our ownership group continues to demonstrate the commitment necessary to build a championship caliber team and we anticipate that Klay Thompson will play a major role in our future success and accomplishments, both on the floor and in the Bay Area community.”
“It’s hard for me to express how excited and happy I am to know that I will be playing in front of the best fans in the NBA for a long time,” said Thompson in a statement. “This team, under this ownership group and with this collection of players, has an incredibly bright future. I could not ask for a better situation and am extremely thankful.”
Thompson averaged a career-high 18.4 points per game last season and has made 545 3-pointers in his young NBA career, a record for a player in his first three years in the league. He is a career 40.9 percent shooter from 3-point range.
The Warriors had rejected offers and inquiries from other teams about the 24-year-old Thompson, including a late run by the Sacramento Kings to swing a trade for him.
Golden State also refused to budge this summer when Thompson’s name came up in trade talks with the Minnesota Timberwolves regarding forward Kevin Love, who ended up with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
If an agreement with Thompson had not been reached by midnight Friday, he would have become a restricted free agent next summer.
NBA Team Salaries
- Portland Trail Blazers vs Golden State Warriors: preview, prediction and betting tips – Warriors poised to dominate at home
- Gonzaga Bulldogs vs Duke Blue Devils picks, preview & betting tips – High talent won’t equate to high pace
- New Orleans Pelicans vs Utah Jazz: preview, prediction and betting tips – Jazz can claim another ATS win on Friday
- Washington Wizards vs Oklahoma City Thunder preview, prediction & betting tips – Thunder can cover against hot-start Wizards
- Atlanta Hawks vs Memphis Grizzlies preview, prediction & betting tips – Hawks can keep rolling against Grizzlies on Friday
Main Page2 weeks ago
Celtics vs. Cavaliers: Betting Picks, Predictions and Preview
Main Page1 week ago
Warriors vs. Nets: Predictions, Betting Picks and Preview
Main Page4 days ago
LeBron James receives one-game suspension for elbowing Isaiah Stewart
Main Page1 week ago
76ers vs. Jazz: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks