Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $16 million in cap space, none with Mikal Bridges or Deandre Ayton.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
PG: Chris Paul, Cameron Payne, Elfrid Payton
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, Cameron Johnson, Jalen Smith
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky, Dario Saric (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Dario Saric out with an ACL injury suffered 7/6/21.
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,536,000 (JaVale McGee)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Deandre Ayton
- Mikal Bridges
- Landry Shamet
- Jalen Smith (third-year)
- Cameron Johnson (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way)
Traded Players: Jevon Carter
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Robert Sarver
- James Jones — general manager
- Jeff Bower — senior vice president of basketball operations
- Trevor Bukstein — assistant general manager
- Bubba Burrage — director of player personnel
- Ryan Resch — director of basketball strategy
Head Coach: Monty Williams
Assistants: Mark Bryant, Randy Ayers
Trainer: Brady Howe (senior director of player health and performance), David Crewe (director of medical services/head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2022, top-10 in 2023, top-eight in 2024, unprotected in 2025) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Chris Paul).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/14/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Landry Shamet.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Cameron Johnson and Jalen Smith.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Frank Kaminsky, JaVale McGee, Elfrid Payton, Chris Paul and Abdel Nader.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Cameron Payne.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Abdel Nader.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges and Landry Shamet.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Cameron Johnson.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Jalen Smith.
- 6/28/23 — Chris Paul’s $30,800,000 guarantees for 2023-24;
- 6/29/23 — Cameron Payne’s $6.5 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Cameron Johnson.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/28/24 — Chris Paul’s $30 million guarantees for 2024-25.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/19/21 — Jalen Lecque trade exception ($898,310) expired.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Day’Ron Sharpe (2021-29th).
- 8/1/21 — Chris Paul opted out of his final season.
- 8/6/21 — Renounced the rights to Cheick Diallo and Tariq Owens.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Jevon Carter and Day’Ron Sharpe (2021-29th) to the Brooklyn Nets for Landry Shamet.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Chris Paul to a partially-guaranteed four-year $120 million contract.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Cameron Payne to a partially-guaranteed three-year $19 million contract via Early Bird Rights.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Abdel Nader to a two-year $4,160,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 8/9/21 — Re-signed Frank Kaminsky to a $2,089,448 minimum contract.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Elfrid Payton to a $2,239,544 minimum contract.
- 8/16/21 — Signed JaVale McGee to a $5 million contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/26/21 — Waived Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way).
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Dwayne Collins (2010-60th), Cenk Akyol (2005-59th), Milos Vujanic (2002-36th), Ron Ellis (1992-49th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Langston Galloway ($1,669,178), E’Twaun Moore ($1,669,178)
Arena: Talking Stick Resort Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/30/21)
If you are looking to bet on Phoenix Suns, make sure to check on our guide about sports betting in Arizona. You can also use one of the numerous US online sportsbooks or one of the offshore betting sites or bet on the go with the best mobile sports betting apps.
- Kevin Durant requests trade from Nets, wants to play for Heat or Suns
- Deandre Ayton Next Team Odds, Pistons’ Odds Increase by 25%
- Spurs trade Dejounte Murray to Hawks for Gallinari, two first-round picks
- P.J. Tucker signs with 76ers on three-year, $30 million contract
- Collin Sexton Next Team Odds, Pacers’ Odds Increase by 15%