Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $16 million in cap space, none with Mikal Bridges or Deandre Ayton.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
PG: Chris Paul, Cameron Payne, Elfrid Payton
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, Cameron Johnson, Jalen Smith
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky, Dario Saric (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Dario Saric out with an ACL injury suffered 7/6/21.
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,536,000 (JaVale McGee)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Deandre Ayton
- Mikal Bridges
- Landry Shamet
- Jalen Smith (third-year)
- Cameron Johnson (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way)
Traded Players: Jevon Carter
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Robert Sarver
- James Jones — general manager
- Jeff Bower — senior vice president of basketball operations
- Trevor Bukstein — assistant general manager
- Bubba Burrage — director of player personnel
- Ryan Resch — director of basketball strategy
Head Coach: Monty Williams
Assistants: Mark Bryant, Randy Ayers
Trainer: Brady Howe (senior director of player health and performance), David Crewe (director of medical services/head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2022, top-10 in 2023, top-eight in 2024, unprotected in 2025) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Chris Paul).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/14/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Landry Shamet.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Cameron Johnson and Jalen Smith.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Frank Kaminsky, JaVale McGee, Elfrid Payton, Chris Paul and Abdel Nader.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Cameron Payne.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Abdel Nader.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges and Landry Shamet.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Cameron Johnson.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Jalen Smith.
- 6/28/23 — Chris Paul’s $30,800,000 guarantees for 2023-24;
- 6/29/23 — Cameron Payne’s $6.5 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Cameron Johnson.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/28/24 — Chris Paul’s $30 million guarantees for 2024-25.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/19/21 — Jalen Lecque trade exception ($898,310) expired.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Day’Ron Sharpe (2021-29th).
- 8/1/21 — Chris Paul opted out of his final season.
- 8/6/21 — Renounced the rights to Cheick Diallo and Tariq Owens.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Jevon Carter and Day’Ron Sharpe (2021-29th) to the Brooklyn Nets for Landry Shamet.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Chris Paul to a partially-guaranteed four-year $120 million contract.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Cameron Payne to a partially-guaranteed three-year $19 million contract via Early Bird Rights.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Abdel Nader to a two-year $4,160,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 8/9/21 — Re-signed Frank Kaminsky to a $2,089,448 minimum contract.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Elfrid Payton to a $2,239,544 minimum contract.
- 8/16/21 — Signed JaVale McGee to a $5 million contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/26/21 — Waived Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way).
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Dwayne Collins (2010-60th), Cenk Akyol (2005-59th), Milos Vujanic (2002-36th), Ron Ellis (1992-49th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Langston Galloway ($1,669,178), E’Twaun Moore ($1,669,178)
Arena: Talking Stick Resort Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/30/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Klay Thompson: “I should be on the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team”
- Nets vs. 76ers: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Pacers vs. Wizards: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Knicks vs. Magic: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Betting Picks, Prediction, and Preview