Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Jae Crowder contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $27 million in cap space, none if Chris Paul opts in.
NBA Draft: No. 29; No. 59 to the Brooklyn Nets (Jared Dudley)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None.
- Second-rounders: Dwayne Collins (2010-60th), Cenk Akyol (2005-59th), Milos Vujanic (2002-36th), Ron Ellis (1992-49th)
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, one player option, one two-way
PG: Chris Paul (PO), Jevon Carter
SG: Devin Booker, Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way)
SF: Mikal Bridges
PF: Jae Crowder, Cameron Johnson, Jalen Smith
C: Deandre Ayton, Dario Saric (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Dario Saric out with an ACL injury suffered 7/6/21.
- Trade Exception (Jalen Lecque, expiring 7/19/21) — $898,310
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Chris Paul $44,211,146 (player)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Chris Paul ($43,426,755 on opt out), Abdel Nader ($1,669,178)
- Early Bird: Cameron Payne ($1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Frank Kaminsky ($1,669,178), Langston Galloway ($1,669,178), E’Twaun Moore ($1,669,178), Cheick Diallo*** ($1,669,178), Tariq Owens*** (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Deandre Ayton
- Mikal Bridges
- Jalen Smith (third-year)
- Cameron Johnson (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: Ty-Shon Alexander
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Robert Sarver
- James Jones — general manager
- Jeff Bower — senior vice president of basketball operations
- Trevor Bukstein — assistant general manager
- Bubba Burrage — director of player personnel
- Ryan Resch — director of basketball strategy
Head Coach: Monty Williams
Assistants: Willie Green, Mark Bryant, Randy Ayers
Trainer: Brady Howe (senior director of player health and performance), David Crewe (director of medical services/head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2022, top-10 in 2023, top-eight in 2024, unprotected in 2025) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Chris Paul).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 to the Milwaukee Bucks (Torrey Craig)
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/19/21 — Jalen Lecque trade exception expires.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Cameron Johnson and Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Cameron Johnson.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Cameron Johnson.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jalen Smith.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Talking Stick Resort Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/7/21)