Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Khem Birch non-taxpayer mid-level exception signing.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 12 guaranteed, five non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Fred VanVleet, Malachi Flynn, Goran Dragic, Delano Blanton
SG: Gary Trent Jr, Svi Mykhailiuk, David Johnson (two-way), Ishmail Wainright
SF: OG Anunoby, Scottie Barnes, Yuta Watanabe, Isaac Bonga, Justin Champagnie (two-way)
PF: Precious Achiuwa, Sam Dekker, Freddie Gillespie, Pascal Siakam (injured)
C: Khem Birch, Chris Boucher
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game. Pascal Siakam out for at least five months as of 6/11/21 (torn labrum, left shoulder).
- Trade Exception (Terence Davis, expiring 2/11/22) — $1,571,981
- Trade Exception (Matt Thomas, expiring 2/11/22) — $1,571,981
- Trade Exception (Kyle Lowry, expiring 7/6/22) — $4,832,848
- Mid-Level Exception — $3,186,000 (Khem Birch)
- Bi-Annual Exception — 3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Sam Dekker $1,789,256 ($350,000) — first game of the season
- Yuta Watanabe $1,762,796 ($375,000) — first game of the season
- Isaac Bonga $1,729,217 ($200,000) — first game of the season
- Freddie Gillespie $1,517,981 ($50,000) — first game of the season
- Ishmail Wainright $925,258 ($250,000) — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Nando De Colo $1,901,900 (issued)
- Malachi Flynn (third-year)
- Precious Achiuwa (third-year)
Waived Players: Jalen Harris (two-way), Rodney Hood, DeAndre’ Bembry, Paul Watson, Aron Baynes
Traded Players: Kyle Lowry (via sign-and-trade)
G-League Affiliate: Raptors 905 (Chad Sanders general manager, Patrick Mutombo coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Justin Champagnie, David Johnson
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Larry Tanenbaum
- Masai Ujiri — vice-chairman and team president
- Bobby Webster — general manager
- Dan Tolzman — assistant general manager/vice president of player personnel
- Teresa Resch — vice president of basketball operations and player development
- Keith Boyarsky — vice president of strategy and research
- Wayne Embry — senior basketball advisor
Head Coach: Nick Nurse
Assistants: Adrian Griffin, John Corbacio, Jon Goodwillie, Jim Sann, Trevor Gleeson, Nathaniel Mitchell, Earl Watson, Jamaal Magloire (player development consultant)
Trainer: Alex McKechnie (assistant coach/director of sports science), Scott McCullough (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder (31-54) to the Golden State Warriors and (55-60) to the Charlotte Hornet (Malachi Richardson, Alec Burks, Brad Wanamaker).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder to the Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/14/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Goran Dragic and Precious Achiuwa.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- First game of the 2021-22 season — Yuta Watanabe’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22.
- First game of the 2021-22 season — Isaac Bonga’s $1,729,217 guarantees for 2021-22.
- First game of the 2021-22 season — Freddie Gillespie’s $1,517,981 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Malachi Flynn and Precious Achiuwa.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Svi Mykhailiuk, Isaac Bonga, Ishmail Wainright, Sam Dekker and Khem Birch.
- 1/7/22 — Ishmail Wainright’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Gary Trent Jr.
- 2/11/22 — Terence Davis and Matt Thomas trade exceptions expire.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Paul Watson and Freddie Gillespie.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/4/22 — Ishmail Wainright’s $1,563,518 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/4/22 — Dalano Banton’s salary guarantees at $300,000.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/6/22 — Kyle Lowry trade exception expires.
- First game of the 2022-23 season — Dalano Banton’s $1,563,518 guarantees.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Scottie Barnes, Malachi Flynn and Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/23 — Gary Trent Jr and Fred VanVleet’s player options.
- 6/29/23 — Delano Banton and Ishmail Wainright’s qualifying offers.
- Before the start of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines on Malachi Flynn and Precious Achiuwa.
- 10/31/23 — Team option on Scottie Barnes.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Malachi Flynn and Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/24 — Player option on OG Anunoby.
- Before the start of the 2024-2 season — Extension deadline on Scottie Barnes.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for Scottie Barnes.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 4 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/1/21 — Jalen Harris dismissed from the NBA (eligible for reinstatement in a year).
- 7/1/21 — Waived Jalen Harris (two-way).
- 7/26/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Gray Trent Jr and Nando De Colo.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Scottie Barnes (2021-4th), Dalano Banton (2021-46th) and David Johnson (2021-47th).
- 8/2/21 — OG Anunoby’s poison pill expired.
- 8/3/21 — Waived Rodney Hood, DeAndre’ Bembry and Paul Watson.
- 8/4/21 — Waived Aron Baynes.
- 8/5/21 — Re-signed Masai Ujiri, naming him vice-chairman and team president.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Khem Birch to a three-year $20,002,500 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Kyle Lowry (via sign-and-trade, generating a $4,832,848 trade exception) to the Miami HEAT for Goran Dragic and Precious Achiuwa.
- 8/7/21 — Signed Justin Champagnie to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/7/21 — Signed Scottie Barnes (2021-4th) to a $33,064,660 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/7/21 — Re-signed Gary Trent Jr to a three-year $52,590,00 contract ($250,000 in unlikely incentives per season), player option on the final season.
- 8/7/21 — Signed Ishmail Wainright to a partially-guaranteed $2,488,776 contract.
- 8/8/21 — Chris Boucher’s $7,020,000 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/8/21 — Signed David Johnson (2021-47th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/8/21 — Signed Sam Dekker to a partially-guaranteed $1,789,256 minimum contract.
- 8/11/21 — Signed Isaac Bonga to a partially-guaranteed $1,729,217 minimum contract.
- 8/13/21 — Signed Dalano Banton (2021-46th) to a partially-guaranteed two-year $2,488,776 minimum contract.
- 8/20/21 — Freddie Gillespie’s salary guaranteed at $50,000.
- 8/31/21 — Signed Svi Mykhailiuk to a two-year $3,607,937 minimum contract, player option on the final season.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: Lucas Nogueira*** ($8,841,915)
- Early Bird: Stanley Johnson ($4,945,395), Nando De Colo*** (RFA, $1,901,900)
- Non-Bird: Jeremy Lin *** ($1,669,178), Jodie Meeks*** ($1,669,178), Jason Thompson*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: DeeAndre Hulett (2000-46th)
Arena: Air Canada Centre
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/1/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Rockets vs. Wolves: Preview, Prediction and Betting Odds
- Milwaukee Bucks reveal their fancy 2021 NBA Finals championship rings
- Celtics vs. Knicks: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Wizards vs Raptors: Preview, Predictions and Betting Lines
- Bulls vs. Pistons: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks