Quick: Up to $1.9 million in cap space.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $11.8 million in cap space.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways, 10-day contract
PG: De’Aaron Fox, Tyrese Haliburton, Cory Joseph, Jahmi’us Ramsey
SG: Buddy Hield, DaQuan Jeffries, Kyle Guy (two-way), Robert Woodard II
SF: Harrison Barnes, Justin James
PF: Marvin Bagley III, Nemanja Bjelica, Jabari Parker, Chimezie Metu (two-way, injured)
C: Richaun Holmes, Hassan Whiteside, Norvel Pelle (10-day)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Dewayne Dedmon, expiring 3/22/21) — $2,673,334
- Mid-Level Exception — $5,137,436 (Chimezie Metu, Robert Woodard III, Jahmi’us Ramsey)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Quinton Rose, Vincent Edwards, Frank Kaminsky (claimed by the Phoenix Suns), Chimezie Metu, Glenn Robinson III
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
G-League Affiliate: Stockton Kings (general manager Paul Johnson, Ty Ellis head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Kyle Guy, Chimezie Metu
Governor: Vivek Ranadive
- Monty McNair — general manager
- Wes Wilcox — assistant general manager
- Ken Catanella — assistant general manager
- Joe Dumars — chief strategy officer
- Phil Jabour — vice president of player personnel
Head Coach: Luke Walton
Assistants: Alvin Gentry (associate head coach), Rex Kalamian, Jesse Mermuys, Roy Rana, Rico Hines (player development), Bobby Jackson (assistant player development coach), Stacey Augmon (assistant coach/player development), Lindsey Harding (assistant coach/player development), Jonah Herscu (advance scout)
Trainers: Teena Murray (vice president, athlete health & performance, Joe Resendez (head athletic trainer), Craig Slaunwhite (head performance & strength coach)
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from Memphis Grizzlies (Ben McLemore).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Svi Mykhailiuk, Christian Wood, KJ Martin).
- 2022 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), the lower selection going to the Sacramento Kings (James Ennis, Xavier Tillman Jr)
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
- 2025 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 3/6/21 — Final day of Norvel Pelle’s 10-day contract.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/22/21 — Dewayne Dedmon trade exception expires.
- 3/25/21 – Trade deadline.
- 6/30/21 — Cory Joesph’s $12.6 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/15/21 — Justin James’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22 season.
- 7/21/21 — Team option on Tyrese Haliburton.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Cory Joseph’s $12.6 million guarantees for 201-22.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 7/3/22 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23 (or third day after the start of the moratorium, if later).
- 7/15/22 — Jahmi’us Ramsey’s 2022-23 salary guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Robert Woodard II.
- 7/3/23 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2023-24 (or the third day after the moratorium, if later).
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 8/14/20 — General manager Vlade Divac stepped down.
- 9/17/20 — Hired Monte McNair as general manager.
- 11/17/20 — Jabari Parker opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Tyrese Haliburton (2020-12th), Xavier Tillman Sr (2020-35th), Jahmi’us Ramsey (2020-43rd) and KJ Martin (2020-52nd).
- 11/18/20 — Traded the rights to Xavier Tillman Sr and 2020 second-round swap rights to the Memphis Grizzlies for the rights to Robert Woodard II (2020-40th).
- 11/18/20 — Issued qualifying offers to Bogdan Bogdanovic and DaQuan Jeffries.
- 11/19/20 — Nemanja Bjelica’s $7,150,000 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/21/20 — Start of the 2020-21 calendar year.
- 11/24/20 — Re-signed De’Aaron Fox to a five-year $163,000,300 designated rookie-scale extension. Exact salary to be determined at the start of the 2021-22 season (25, 26, 28 or 30 percent of cap).
- 11/25/20 — Signed Tyrese Haliburton (2020-12th) to a $17,878,995 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Hassan Whiteside to a $2,320,044 minimum contract.
- 11/27/20 — Re-signed DaQuan Jeffries to a two-year $3,147,290 minimum contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Frank Kaminsky to a non-guaranteed $1,882,867 minimum summer contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Robert Woodard II (2020-40th) to a partially-guaranteed $6,731,283 contract.
- 12/2/20 — Signed Glenn Robinson III to a partially-guaranteed $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 12/3/20 — Signed Jahmi’us Ramsey (2020-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,300,602 contract.
- 12/4/20 — Picked up Marvin Bagley’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/8/20 — Signed Quinton Rose to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/10/20 — Waived Quinton Rose.
- 12/16/20 — Signed Vincent Edwards to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/18/20 — Waived Vincent Edwards.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Frank Kaminsky (claimed by the Phoenix Suns).
- 12/21/20 — Waived Chimezie Metu.
- 12/24/20 — Re-signed Chimezie Metu to a two-way contract.
- 2/25/21 — Signed Norvel Pelle to a 10-day $99,020 contract.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: DaQuan Jeffries (One-Year Bird)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- De’Aaron Fox — $28,516,655 (expiring 8/2/21)
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Vanja Marinkovic (2019-60th), Dimitrios Agravanis (2015-59th), Luka Mitrovic (2015-60th), Alex Oriakhi (2013-57th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Corey Brewer ($1,620,564)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: Golden 1 Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/26/21)