This guide to the best Iowa sports betting sites explores the legal betting landscape in the Hawkeye State. We begin the piece with rankings and overviews of the top five bookmakers licensed in Iowa, then continue with an in-depth overview of betting services and markets available in IA.
The Best Iowa Sports Betting Sites List 2021
The following providers offer the best online betting in Iowa:
- BetOnline – Overall Best Iowa Online Sports Betting Site 2021
- BetUS – Largest Welcome Bonus for Sports Betting in Iowa
- MyBookie – Top Iowa Sportsbook with Great Promos
- Bovada – Best Iowa Sports betting Online site for Live Streaming
- XBet – Best New Sports Site for Horse Racing
Best Iowa Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
1. BetOnline – Overall Best Iowa Online Sports Betting Site 2021
BetOnline is one of largest and most experienced sportsbooks, having been established back in 2001. The bookie prides itself on providing the best experience in online gaming and betting to all of its users. Whether your interest is in sports, casino, poker or entertainment then BetOnline has it all, coupled with great promos and amazing customer service.
When it comes to promotions, this top Iowa sports betting site offers a bounteous welcome bonus of a 100% deposit match up to $1,000! This is available for all new bettors upon signing up, there is also an abundance of bitcoin, crypto, casino and poker welcome and reload bonuses on offer.
There’s a huge variety of sports betting markets available at BetOnline, including Major League Baseball, NBA and College Basketball, NFL and College Football, as well as mixed martial arts. International sports are also included such as darts, rugby, cricket and Aussie rules football. There is also a substantial range of Esports available to bet on, including, CS: GO, LoL, Dota 2, Valorant, FIFA, Call of Duty & Rainbow Six.
As well as supporting a whole host of deposit methods including debit, credit and cryptocurrency, BetOnline is one of the safest and most secure sportsbooks in the market so you can rest assured that you are in safe hands should you place your bets here.
- Great welcome bonus
- Huge range of sports markets
- Good customer service and payment methods
- Secure, industry leading sportsbook
- Does not accept PayPal
2. BetUS – Largest Welcome Bonus for Sports Betting in Iowa
BetUS is one of the oldest sports betting sites in Iowa, having been established back in 1994. You can wager on a diverse range of different sports, including football, basketball, baseball and hockey to golf, tennis, motorsports. You can also choose to bet on a selection of different Esports.
This Iowa sportsbook has an array of promotions to be had. Their welcome bonus is unmatched – you can claim a 125% deposit match bonus, worth up to a huge $3,125! You can claim using the BetUS promo code JOIN125. The standout thing here too is that it includes a 100% sports bonus and a 25% casino bonus, giving Iowa bettors the option to place bets across either platform.
We also like the news articles and analysis covered in their ‘Locker Room’ feature. With coverage on all major sports you can identify good bets as well as never missing out on the entertainment.
- Largest welcome bonus to be had
- Long standing bookie with good reputation
- News articles and analysis with good tips
- Few payment options
3. MyBookie – Top Iowa Sportsbook with Great Promos
If it’s easy deposits, fast payouts, fantastic odds and an always-increasing selection of sports and odds you’re looking for, then MyBookie is one to mention. Since it’s inception in 2014, this top sportsbook has maintained its promise of providing great customer service and sports betting experience.
MyBookie offers a first deposit bonus of $1,000 to use across your favourite sports. There’s also casino and horse racing promotions, as well as a rewarding and unlimited referral scheme for existing customers of 250% up to $250!
Whether you’re in to NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB or UFC, betting across any sports with MyBookie is extremely simple and accessible due to the parlay builder and interactive bet slip, which you can add to or edit with ease. On top of that this bookie is great for live betting as you can place in-game bets and stream most events in HD.
- Extremely fast payouts
- Lots of ongoing promo deals
- Good odds compared to others
- Limited Esports selection
4. Bovada – Best Iowa Sports betting Online site for Live Streaming
If it’s live betting and live streaming that is paramount to you then Bovada is our top pick, with a huge range of betting options available. Bovada offers an impressive prop builder feature with various ways to add to your virtual betting slip with lots of interesting and alternative lines.
You can wager on a range of sports and major events like the Super Bowl, there is also a virtual racebook if you’d prefer to bet live on horse racing. Esports, college sports and all major US sports leagues are also covered in abundance.
This is one of the best sportsbooks in Iowa for a diverse range of offers. Bovada’s welcome offer is a $1,000 bonus which you can claim using the Bovada promo code BVD1000, there is also a substantial bitcoin welcome bonus of 75% up to $750, as well as casino and poker offers.
- Great live betting options
- Impressive prop builder function
- Extensive welcome offers
- No e-wallet payments
5. XBet – Best New Sports Site for Horse Racing
XBet is tipped as one of the most exciting new betting sites in Iowa. We note that their welcome bonus isn’t as generous as others, but there are some other promotions to tempt you. For the horse racing fans, you can claim up to 7% cashback rebate which is paid to you daily, this is available when you wager on any qualifying track! There is also an unlimited refer a friend bonus of $100 per referral.
It’s one of the best Iowa sports betting apps with their all-new sports betting mobile platform, making betting easy and accessible from the safety and comfort of your own home or out on the go. You are guaranteed to never miss a bet!
XBet also supports a huge range of deposit methods, this includes all major cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin. More traditional payment methods like credit and debit cards are also accepted.
- Good horse betting cashback offer
- Accepts a wide range of payment methods
- Top betting app functions
- Smaller welcome bonus compared to others
Iowa Best Sports Betting Sites Comparison
|Welcome Bonus||Promo Code||Live Streaming||Highlights|
|BetOnline.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Large cash contests
High limit betting
|BetUS||125% sportsbook deposit match up to $3,125||JOIN125||No||Tips and analysis articles
Generous loyalty program
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Weekly betting contests
Bitcoin boost bonus
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1000||BVD1000||Yes||Prop bet builder
Live sports streaming
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not required||No||Racing rebate promo
Unlimited referral bonus
|SportsBetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||KICK100||No||Free live betting promos
Big money NFL contests
|BUSR||20% deposit match up to $500||WELCOME20||No||Daily rebate
Unlimited referral bonus
|Intertops||100% deposit match up to $500||INSIDERS||No||Weekly NFL pools
Monthly parlay contest
|BetNow||100% deposit match up to $500||BN100||No||Weekly $10,000 MLB contests
Weekly horse rebate
Is Sports Betting Legal in Iowa?
Iowa has had legal offline and online sports betting since 2019. There are currently more than 12 sports betting apps in Iowa, and almost all state-based physical casinos offer sports betting services in some capacity.
The Hawkeye State was one of the few that aggressively pushed for legalized sports betting well before the US Supreme Court overturned PAPSA.
An unusual quirk of Iowa’s sports betting regulations was that opening a betting account demanded a personal visit to a land-based casino; luckily, this requirement expired in January 2021.
Here’s a timeline summarizing the road that brought us to state-wide legalization of sports:
- 2019 – Governor Kim Reynolds signed Iowa sports betting bill SF 617 on May 13. Specifics include a 6.75% tax on revenue, legal mobile betting, and a $45,000 licensing fee.
- 2018 – After years of on-and-off legalization attempts, Representative Jake Highfill filed a sports betting bill and declared that legislators were determined to pass the bill in 2019.
- 2010 to 2018 – several attempts at pushing a sports betting bill through committee are unsuccessful.
Gambling Tax in Iowa
Gambling winnings are subject to a 5% state tax and a 24% federal tax. All winnings exceeding $600 in a fiscal year are reportable, and you must include them on your federal tax returns. To report your winnings, use form IA 1041.
Remember that regional laws require casinos to report winnings beyond a specific amount using W2-G forms, so ensure your reporting matches the casino’s.
What Sports Can You Bet On in Iowa?
Iowa sports betting sites offer lines on almost every popular sport. At the very least, you can expect betting options on the following:
- Martial arts
The coverage within each sports discipline is extensive and spans everything from majors such as the NBA, NFL, MBL, and PGA Tour, through semi-pro leagues like the American 7s, MFL, EFL, and AFL, to minor tournaments you’re unlikely to have heard of.
For the broadest availability of sports and competitions to bet on, we recommend that you sign up with at least three of the Iowa sports betting sites we recommend above.
Esports Betting in Iowa
Unfortunately, Iowa’s sports betting bill explicitly bans betting on eSports, and we can’t predict when this will change. To bet on League of Legends, CS:GO, Dota, Overwatch, and other competitive video games, register an account with one of the best offshore betting sites licensed by an overseas jurisdiction.
Keep in mind that by playing at an offshore sportsbook, you violate several Iowa laws. Still, to our knowledge, no Iowa resident has ever been prosecuted by the authorities for this infraction.
Horse Race Betting
Horse race betting is legal in the state. The Prairie Meadows Racetrack in Altoona, which opened in early 1989, remains the state’s lone horse race betting venue. Along with betting on on-site races, the racetrack offers simulcasting of nationwide and international races, with the ability to watch the action unfold in real-time.
Additionally, off-track sports betting in Iowa is alive and well. Here’s a list of prominent OTB locations in the state:
- Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino in Altoona
- Catfish Bend Casino in Fort Madison
- MississippiBelle II in Clinton
- Harrah’s Casino in Council Bluffs
- Ameristar Casino* Hotel in Council Bluffs
- Bluffs Run Casino in Council Bluffs
- Dubuque Greyhound Park & Casino in Dubuque
- Diamond Jo Casino in Dubuque
- Wild Rose in Emmetsburg
- Isle of Capri in Marquette
- Terrible’s Lakeside Casino Resort in Osceola
Regarding horse race betting online and via phone, Iowa offers several legal advance-deposit wagering (ADW) services.
Daily Fantasy Sports
The sports betting law signed in May 2019 by Governor Reynolds legalized and regulated daily fantasy sports contests.
Initially, only contests involving professional sports were allowed; however, contests involving collegiate players became legal in 2020 as well.
Types of Betting Markets
What follows is a brief overview of the betting markets you’ll encounter at the top IA betting sites:
Very popular among beginners. You simply bet on who will win the match. If draws are possible in your chosen sport, you’ll be able to select a “draw” as a possible outcome on the moneyline.
Contrary to popular opinion, spreads are great for beginners as well. In spread betting markets, the oddsmaker assigns a handicap to a given team. A bet on the favorite succeeds if they win by more than the handicap spread, while a bet on the underdog succeeds if the underdog either wins outright or loses by less than the value of the handicap.
Examples include predicting the total number of goals or points, predicting the number of passes by a particular player, and so on. Proposition bets are usually not as sharp as moneyline or spread lines, making them a great way to turn a profit.
Examples include betting on the combined total goals scored by both teams in a soccer or hockey match.
Futures markets involve wagering on an event or series that will take place in the future. An example would be attempting to predict who will place first or second in the next NBA season.
A parlay involves combining several wagers into a single bet. The potential parlay payout exceeds the combined potential winnings of its constituents; however, this extra potential profitability is balanced by the difficulty of constructing a successful parlay.
Bonuses at Iowa Sports Betting Sites
Iowa Sports Betting Sites Bonus Comparison
|Welcome Bonus||Promo Code||Minimum Odds|
|Betonline.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||2|
|BetUS||125% sportsbook deposit match up to $3,125||JOIN125||2.8|
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||2.5|
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1000||BVD1000||2|
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not required||2|
|SportsBetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||KICK100||2.5|
|BUSR||20% deposit match up to $500||WELCOME20||2.5|
|Intertops||100% deposit match up to $500||INSIDERS||2|
|BetNow||100% deposit match up to $500||BN100||2.6|
You’ll encounter three types of bonuses in your sports betting career:
Matched deposit bonuses
The sportsbook matches your first deposit up to a maximum value. An example of this type of bonus is DraftKings’ welcome promotion, which awards a prize equal to 20% of your initial deposit, up to a maximum of $1,000.
Keep the following possible restrictions in mind when enrolling in a matched deposit bonus:
- Wagering requirements (WR): you won’t be able to withdraw your bonus until you play through it a certain number of times.
- Validity date: you may have to claim your bonus within a certain time after opening your sports betting account.
- Minimum odds: for example, at DraftKings, only wagers at -300 or longer odds contribute towards meeting WR.
Free bet promotions are distinct from matched deposit bonuses in that the former allows you to place a single bet, whereas the latter can be used to place multiple bets. Several Iowa sportsbooks, offer free bets equal in size to any losses you incur from placing your first real-money wager.
To avoid accidentally voiding a free bet offer, ask yourself the following questions before enrolling:
- Minimum deposit: do you have to deposit a certain minimum to participate in the promotion?
- Minimum wager: do you have to place a wager using your own money before you can claim the free bet?
- Validity: does the free bet expire?
- Eligible markets: can you use your free bet on any betting market? Parlays are frequently problematic.
- Eligible sports: are there restrictions on the sports you can use your free bet on?
Deposit & Withdrawal Methods at the Best Iowa Sportsbooks
There’s a lot of variety between the best Iowa sportsbooks when it comes to supported payment options. PayPal and credit cards are omnipresent deposit methods, but the similarities mostly end there.
The minimum deposit size also varies. It’s usually between $5.00 and $10.00, but there are outliers. For instance, TwinSpires leads the pack with an unbeatable $1.00 minimum deposit. The story is similar for withdrawals, with some bookies approving payouts as low as $1.00, while others enforcing a $20 minimum withdrawal limit.
The easiest way to decide if a sportsbook meets your deposit and withdrawals needs is to consult the table below:
|Sportsbook||Deposit and Withdrawal Methods||Min Deposit||Min Withdrawal||Payout Time|
|BetOnline||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple||$10||$100||1-48 hours|
|MyBookie||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum||$25||$100||1-48 hours|
|Bovada||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin||$10||$500||1-24 hours|
|BetUS||MasterCard, Visa, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum||$10||$100||1-24 hours|
|XBet||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin||$25||$100||24-48 hours|
Iowa Mobile Betting Apps
Mobile betting activity is responsible for the bulk of revenues generated by the best Iowa sportsbooks. Nowadays, a bookmaker cannot hope to attract customers unless it offers an Iowa sports betting app that:
- Is optimized for iOS and Android devices
- Works well on smartphones and tablets with different screen sizes and resolutions
- Mirrors the functionality of the browser-based site
So, at the very least, you can expect the perks above when you download and install an Iowa sports betting app from our recommended providers.
Still, there are some differences between individual apps. For instance, MyBookie mobile application is a state-of-the-art piece of software that makes you forget desktop betting exists; all options load blazing fast, creating parlays is a piece of cake, and making deposits and withdrawals is rockets.
How to Compare Iowa Sportsbooks
When choosing a platform for online sports betting in Iowa, consider the following factors:
Range of Markets
Available Iowa betting markets range from two-way and three-way moneylines, through point spreads, prop bets, and totals, to complex parlays and unique markets available only for specific events.
Of course, sportsbooks differ in several ways, including the range of markets they offer.
The most common bonuses at the best Iowa sportsbooks are free bets and deposit match offers.
When choosing an Iowa sports betting site, ensure it offers a bonus that complements your goals. For example, if you plan to make a large deposit, a deposit match bonus is almost always better than a free bet.
Additionally, most bonuses come with certain restrictions on how and when you can use your bonus; consult the “Bonuses at Iowa Sports Betting Sites” section further up this page for information that will help you make an educated decision.
The safety of your funds should be a top concern, so make sure to only register with sportsbooks that offer banking options hosted by reputable financial institutions.
Verify that your selected bookmaker supports the payment options you intend to use, and remember that deposit and withdrawal options don’t always overlap; just because you can deposit through PayPal doesn’t mean you can withdraw via Paypal as well.
Live Betting & Streaming
All the top Iowa sports bookmakers we endorse on this page offer live betting options and streaming services for significant events. Still, available live betting markets vary between sites.
The same rule applies to streaming. For example, right now, XBet is a great place to be if you enjoy horse race streams, but not as good if you’re looking for basketball or baseball live feeds, in which case BetOnline and BetUS are better choices.
Licensing & Security
Our top sportsbooks are partnered with Iowa-based gambling companies licensed by the Tall Corn State. This affiliation ensures that each bookie’s services adhere to the industry’s highest security and safety standards.
List of Sportsbooks at Iowa Casinos
Iowa is home to dozens of land-based sports betting parlors:
- Isle Casino Hotel, Bettendorf
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Davenport
- Rhythm City Casino Resort, Davenport
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Burlington
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Clinton
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Coralville
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Iowa City
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Muscatine
- Catfish Bend Casino, Burlington
- Pzazz! Entertainment Complex, Burlington
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort, Riverside
- Buffalo Wild Wings Merle Hay, Des Moines
- Buffalo Wild Wings SE, Des Moines
- Buffalo Wild Wings West, Des Moines
- Prairie Meadows, Altoona
- Ameristar Council Bluffs, Council Bluffs
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Ames
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Ankeny
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Council Bluffs
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Fort Dodge
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Sioux City
- Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resorts, Larchwood
- Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Sioux City
- Harrah’s Casino, Council Bluffs
- Horseshoe Casino, Council Bluffs
- Lakeside Hotel Casino, Osceola
- Wild Rose Casino and Resort, Clinton
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort, Emmetsburg
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort, Jefferson
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Dubuque
- Diamond Jo Casino, Dubuque
- Q Casino and Hotel, Dubuque
- Isle Casino Hotel, Waterloo
- Buffalo Wild Wings Blairs Ferry, Cedar Rapids
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Cedar Falls
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Mason City
- Diamond Jo Worth, Northwood
Legal sports betting in Iowa is a maturing industry, with over a dozen sportsbooks skirmishing for online dominance. New promotions pop constantly, and the list of betting markets and sports is ever-expanding.
And the best part? You can join the action in less than 10 minutes! Simply open a free account with our recommended Iowa bookmakers, make an instant deposit, and place your first real-money wager.
Is online sports betting legal in Iowa?
What is the legal gambling age in Iowa?
Who oversees IO sports betting?
Is mobile sports betting available in Iowa?
Where can I bet on sports in Iowa?
NBA Team Salaries
- Klay Thompson: “I should be on the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team”
- Nets vs. 76ers: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Pacers vs. Wizards: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Knicks vs. Magic: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Betting Picks, Prediction, and Preview