Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Up to $26.7 million in cap space, none with Brandon Ingram’s cap hold.
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, one non-guaranteed
PG: Lonzo Ball, Nickeil Alexander-Walker
SG: Jrue Holiday, JJ Redick
SF: Josh Hart, Darius Miller
PF: Zion Williamson, Nicolo Melli
C: Jaxson Hayes
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 13th ($3,640,200 cap hold), 39th from the Washington Wizards (Jared Dudley, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith, Nikola Mirotic), 42nd/43rd*, 60th from the Milwaukee Bucks (Nikola Mirotic)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None.
- Second-rounders: Marcos Louzada Silva (2019-35th), Tony Carr (2018-51st), Latavious Williams (2010-48th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Darius Miller $7 million 7/8/20 (revised date TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: Derrick Favors ($26,475,000), Brandon Ingram (RFA, $21,796,455), E’Twaun Moore ($16,463,363), Frank Jackson (RFA, $2,023,150)
- Early Bird: Kenrich Williams (RFA, $1,820,564), Jahlil Okafor ($1,620,464)
- Non-Bird: Josh Gray (two-way), Zylan Cheatham (two-way)
- None: Sindarius Thornwell (substitute)
* Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Lonzo Ball
- Josh Hart
- Zion Williamson
- Jaxson Hayes
- Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Erie BayHawks (general manager Marc Chasanoff, coach Ryan Pannone)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: TBD
Trainer: Duane Brooks
- David Griffin — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Trajan Langdon — general manager
- Swin Cash — vice president of basketball operations and team development
- Bryson Graham — assistant general manager
- Shane Kupperman — senior director, salary cap & strategy
- Marc Chasanoff — senior director of basketball operations
- Adam Barnes — chief of staff
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder (only conveys 1-7, unprotected in 2022) from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2021 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Washington Wizard (Markieff Morris).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (top-45 protected) to the Atlanta Hawks (Jaxson Hayes).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1 million from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis)
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Brandon Ingram, Frank Jackson and Kenrich Williams.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 7/8/20 — Darius Miller’s $7 million guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- Before first day of 2020-21 season — Extension deadlines for Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker (revised date TBD).
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Nicolo Melli.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 8/15/20 — Fired coach Alvin Gentry.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: Smoothie King Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/17/20)