Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to $27.5 million in cap space, none with Brandon Ingram’s cap hold.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Lonzo Ball, Frank Jackson, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Joshia Gray (two-way)
SG: Jrue Holiday, JJ Redick, Josh Hart
SF: Brandon Ingram, E’Twaun Moore, Darius Miller, Zylan Cheatham (two-way)
PF: Zion Williamson, Nicolo Melli, Kenrich Williams, Kavell Bigby-Williams
C: Derrick Favors, Jaxson Hayes, Jahlil Okafor, Christian Wood
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $4,767,000
- Jahlil Okafor $1,702,486 ($54,323 guaranteed)
- Kenrich Williams $1,416,852 ($200,000 guaranteed)
- Kavell Bigby-Williams $898,310
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None.
- Second-rounders: Marcos Louzada Silva (2019-35th), Tony Carr (2018-51st), Latavious Williams (2010-48th)
Waived Players: Dairis Bertans, Christian Wood (claimed by the Detroit Pistons)
Traded Players: Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill
G-League Affiliate: Zylan Cheatham, Joshia Gray
Two-Way Contracts: None
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Head Coach: Alvin Gentry
Assistants: Darren Erman (associate head coach), Fred Vinson, Kevin Hanson, Elvis Valcarcel, Chris Finch
Trainer: Duane Brooks
- David Griffin — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Trajan Langdon — general manager
- Swin Cash — vice president of basketball operations and team development
- 2020 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Jared Dudley, Jodie Meeks, Jason Smith, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder (top-eight protected, unprotected in 2022) from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Trey Burke, Kyle Korver, George Hill, Nikola Mirotic).
- 2021 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (top-45 protected) to the Atlanta Hawks (Jaxson Hayes).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1 million from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis)
- 8/22/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Zylan Cheatham and Joshia Gray.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Brandon Ingram.
- First regular season game — Kenrich Williams’ $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 –Team options on Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on J.J. Redick and Kavell Bigby-Williams.
- 1/10/20 — Jahlil Okafor’s $1,702,486 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Troy Williams’ $1,645,357 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Kavell Bigby-Williams’ $898,310 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Darius Miller.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Brandon Ingram, Kavell Bigby-Williams, Frank Jackson and Kenrich Williams.
- 7/8/20 — Darius Miller’s $7 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadlines for Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Nicolo Melli.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- Before first day of the 2022 season — Extension deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/17/19 — Hired David Griffin as executive vice president of basketball operations.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 1st and 39th picks in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Zion Williamson (1st), Alen Smailagic (39th) and Jordan Bone (57th)
- 6/20/19 — Julius Randle opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/20/19 — Exercised team option on Jahlil Okafor.
- 6/20/19 — Traded the rights to Alen Smailagic (39th) to the Golden State Warriors for 2021 and 2023 second-rounders and $1 million.
- 6/29/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offers to Cheick Diallo and Stanley Johnson.
- 6/30/19– Frank Jackson’s $1,618,520 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Zion Williamson (2019-1st) to a $44,271,137 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/6/19 — Renounced the rights to Julius Randle, Elfrid Payton and Jordan Crawford.
- 7/6/19 — Traded Anthony Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, the rights to De’Andre Hunter (4th), a protected 2021 first-rounder, 2023 swap rights, a 2024 first-rounder (the Pelicans can defer to 2025) and $1 million. The trade includes Isaac Bonga, Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones and a 2022 second-rounder to the Washington Wizards, with Washington sending $1.1 million to the Pelicans.
- 7/6/19 — Derrick Favors’ $17,650,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/7/19 — Waived Dairis Bertans.
- 7/7/19 — Renounced the rights to Stanley Johnson.
- 7/7/19 — Traded Solomon Hill, the rights to De’Andre Hunter (4th) and Jordan Bone (57th), and a protected 2023 second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks for the rights to Jaxson Hayes (8th), Nickeil Alexander-Walker (17th) and Marcos Louzada Silva (35th), and a protected 2020 Cleveland Cavaliers first-rounder.
- 7/7/19 — Traded 2021 and 2023 second-rounders (both from the Golden State Warriors) to the Utah Jazz for Derrick Favors.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jaxson Hayes (2019-8th) to a $22,118,492 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/7/19 — Signed Nickeil Alexander-Walker (2019-17th) to a $14,349,113 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/15/19 — Renounced the rights to Ian Clark, Trevon Bluiett and Cheick Diallo.
- 7/15/19 — Waived Christian Wood (claimed by the Detroit Pistons).
- 7/15/19 — Signed JJ Redick to a two-year $26,500,000 contract.
- 7/20/19 — Kenrich Williams’ salary guaranteed at $200,000.
- 7/21/19 — Re-signed Darius Miller to a partially-guaranteed two-year $14,250,000 contract.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Zylan Cheatham to a two-way contract.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Joshia Gray to a two-way contract.
- 7/26/19 — Signed Nicolo Melli to a two-year $8 million contract.
- 8/2/19 — Signed Kavell Bigby-Williams to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: Smoothie King Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)