Quick: TBD; hard-capped by the Devonte’ Graham sign-and-trade
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Hard Cap: $143,002,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): TBD
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Devonte’ Graham, Tomas Satoransky, Kira Lewis Jr, Jose Alvarado (two-way)
SG: Josh Hart, Garrett Temple, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Daulton Hommes (two-way)
SF: Brandon Ingram, Trey Murphy III, Didi Louzada, Herbert Jones, Wenyen Gabriel
PF: Zion Williamson, Naji Marshall
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Jaxson Hayes, Willy Hernangomez
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Nicolo Melli, expiring 2/11/22) — $3,897,436
- Trade Exception (Steven Adams, expiring 7/7/22) — $17,073,171
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $7,836,000 (Herbert Jones)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Wenyen Gabriel $1,762,796 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: James Nunnally (two-way)
- Kira Lewis Jr (third-year)
- Zion Williamson (fourth-year)
- Jaxson Hayes (fourth-year)
- Nickeil Alexander-Walker (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, Wesley Iwundu
G-League Affiliate: Birmingham Squadron (general manager Marc Chasanoff, coach Ryan Pannone)
Two-Way Contracts: Jose Alvarado, Daulton Hommes
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Gayle Benson
- David Griffin — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Trajan Langdon — general manager
- Swin Cash — vice president of basketball operations and team development
- Bryson Graham — assistant general manager
- Michael Blackstone — vice president of basketball administration
- Todd Quinter — director of pro personnel
- Marc Chasanoff — senior director of basketball operations
- Shane Kupperman — senior director, salary cap & strategy
- Adam Barnes — chief of staff
Head Coach: Willie Green
Assistants: Casey Hill, Fred Vinson, Teresa Weatherspoon, Jarron Collins, Mike D’Antoni (coaching advisor), Corey Brewer (player development), Darnell Lazare (player development), Beno Udrih (player development)
Trainer: Aaron Nelson (vice president of player care and performance), Tom Maystadt (head athletic trainer), Daniel Bove (director of sports science and performance), Jason Sumerlin (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers, that will convey to the Memphis Grizzlies (11-30), otherwise the 2022 second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers will convey instead (Anthony Davis, Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes, Jonas Valanciunas).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-54 protected) from the Sacramento Kings (Mfiondu Kabengele, BJ Boston Jr).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Elijah Hughes).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) to the Charlotte Hornets (Devonte’ Graham).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (top-45 protected) to the Atlanta Hawks (Jaxson Hayes).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
- 2024 — Can swap first-rounders with the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Lonzo Ball).
- 2025 — Owed a first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Can swap first-rounders with the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Greg Brown III).
- 2027 — Owed a first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $2 million to the Charlotte Hornets (Devonte’ Graham) — $3,785,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $2.5 million from the Los Angeles Clippers (BJ Boston Jr); $1.2 million from the Chicago Bulls (Lonzo Ball) — $2,085,000 remaining
- 9/2/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Herbert Jones.
- 9/4/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jose Alvarado and Daulton Hommes.
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Jonas Valanciunas.
- 9/16/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Tomas Satoransky.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kira Lewis Jr, Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Willy Hernangomez, Didi Louzada, Devonte’ Graham and Garrett Temple.
- 1/7/22 — Wenyen Gabriel’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Josh Hart.
- 2/11/22 — Nicolo Melli trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/25/22 — Josh Hart’s $12,960,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Steven Adams trade exception expires.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Kira Lewis Jr and Trey Murphy III.
- 6/25/23 — Josh Hart’s $12,960,000 guarantees for 2023-24 (contingent on player option).
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxon Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 6/29/23 — Team options on Willy Hernangomez, Naji Marshall and Herbert Jones.
- 6/29/23 — Player option for Josh Hart.
- 6/30/23 — Garrett Temple’s $5,401,000 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 7/1/23 — Didi Louzada’s $1,965,566 guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Kira Lewis Jr.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kira Lewis Jr.
- 6/30/24 — Didi Louzada’s $2,057,646 guarantees for 2024-25.
- 10/31/23 — Team option on Trey Murphy III.
- 7/1/24 — Devonte’ Graham’s $12,6500,000 guarantees for 2024-25.
- Before first day of the 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Trey Murphy III.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for Trey Murphy III.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/16/21 — Parted ways with coach Stan Van Gundy.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 10 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/22/21 — Hired Willie Green as head coach.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Ziaire Williams (2021-10th), Herbert Jones (2021-35th), Jared Butler (2021-40th) and Greg Brown III (2021-43rd).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Greg Brown III (2021-43rd) to the Portland Trail Blazers for a 2026 second-rounder and $2 million.
- 7/31/21 — Opted Didi Louzada out of his contract.
- 7/31/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Lonzo Bal, Josh Hart and Didi Louzada.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to James Nunnally.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Steven Adams (generating a $17,073,171 trade exception), Eric Bledsoe, Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) and Jared Butler (2021-40th) and a 2022 Los Angeles Lakers first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to a 2022 Cleveland Cavaliers second-rounder and a 2025 Pelicans second-rounder) to the Memphis Grizzlies, and Wesley Iwundu, a 2022 first-rounder (lottery protected, otherwise conveys as 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) and $2 million to the Charlotte Hornets for Jonas Valanciunas, Trey Murphy III (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) from the Grizzlies and Devonte’ Graham, via sign-and trade to a partially-guaranteed four-year $47,300,000 contract from the Hornets.
- 8/7/21 — Traded BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) to the Los Angeles Clippers for $2.5 million and a 2022 Sacramento Kings second-rounder (top-54 protected).
- 8/8/21 — Traded Lonzo Ball (via sign-and-trade) to the New Orleans Pelicans for Garrett Temple (via sign-and-trade to a partially-guaranteed three-year $15,466,500 contract via Non-Bird Rights), Tomas Satoransky, a 2024 second-rounder and $1.2 million.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Trey Murphy III (2021-17th) to a $14,779,414 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/13/21 — Re-signed Didi Louzada to a partially-guaranteed four-year $7,686,312 contract, via Non-Bird Rights.
- 8/16/21 — Signed Herbert Jones (2021-35th) to a three-year $5,321,096 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, team option on the final season.
- 8/16/21 — Re-signed Willy Hernangomez to a three-year $7,330,743, via Non-Bird Rights, team option on the final season.
- 8/18/21 — Signed Jose Alvarado to a two-way contract (Exhibit 9).
- 8/18/21 — Signed Daulton Hommes to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/18/21 — Re-signed Josh Hart to a partially-guaranteed three-year $37,920,000 contract, player option on the final season.
- Brandon Ingram — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Latavious Williams (2010-48th)
Arena: Smoothie King Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/31/21)