NCAA News Wire
Appalachian State 82, Hampton 74
Appalachian State scored the first nine points of the game and never trailed in knocking off a tired Hampton squad 82-74 on Monday in Boone, N.C.
Guard Frank Eaves went 12-for-12 at the free throw line on his way to leading Appalachian State (2-2) with 25 points. Guard Chris Burgess added 20, while forward Griffin Kinney had 13 off the bench.
Guard Brian Darden scored 20 points to lead the Pirates. Guard Deron Powers finished with 13, while leading scorer Quinton Chievous, a guard, had 11 points on 4-of-10 shooting.
Appalachian State led 43-36 at the half, and pushed the lead to 15 early in the second. Hampton never got closer than six after that, and that came on a Chievous layup with 10 seconds to play.
Both teams struggled to stop the other in a choppy affair. The squads combined for 55 fouls and 72 free throws, with the Mountaineers knocking down 31 of their 38 attempts.
The loss capped off a five-game road stretch to start the season for the Pirates, who were playing their third game in four nights. Hampton beat Alcorn State and lost to North Dakota State in the 2K Classic in Fargo, N.D., before traveling to North Carolina to take on the Mountaineers. The team will play its first home game of the 2014-15 season Nov. 26 against American.
- Angel Reese Signs NIL Deal to Feature in Starry Commercial With Zion Williamson and KAT But You Can’t See Her
- Daniel Freitag: The 4-Star Prospect in Wisconsin Badgers’ Sights
- Jaylen Brown Next Team Odds If Not Celtics 2023: Hawks Are Betting Favorites
- League sources call Lakers assistant coach Phil Handy a name to watch for on Frank Vogel’s staff with Phoenix
- Heat star Jimmy Butler on Game 1 loss: ‘Got to get more layups, got to get more free throws’
Main Page 1 week ago
Michael Jordan Buys $3.5 Million Custom Venom F5 Roadster, 300 MPH Sports Car
College Basketball 1 week ago
Bronny James Prom Date: Who is Girlfriend, Peyton Gelfuso?
NBA 4 days ago
LA Lakers Believe Lonzo Ball’s Potential Career-Ending Injury Caused By Big Baller Brand Shoes
Headlines 5 days ago
Dallas Mavericks Not Interested in Pursuing D’Angelo Russell