The Florida Atlantic Owls went on a 10-0 run to break a 14-14 tie in the first half and rode that cushion to a 72-63 victory over the East Carolina Pirates on Wednesday night in a matchup of former conference colleagues in Boca Raton, Floa.
The Owls led 35-23 at the halftime break and pushed that out to as many as 19 points, 46-27, in the first four minutes of the second half before the visiting Pirates mounted a mild comeback.
The Pirates worked their way back to within 11 points on two occasions, the last on forward Caleb White’s two free throws that made it 68-57 with 3:13 left in the game, but could get no closer until the final minute.
The Owls scored the next four points to go up by 15 points before the Pirates closed on a 6-0 run.
White led East Carolina in scoring with 18 points. Guard B.J. Tyson added 16 and forward Kanu Aja 11 for the Pirates, who dropped to 4-4 with the loss.
FAU freshman guard Justin Massey matched his season high with 17 points to lead the Owls. Guard Marquan Botley added 15 and forward C.J. Turman 14 as the Owls evened their record at 3-3.
This was the first meeting between the two teams since East Carolina left Conference USA to join the American Athletic Conference for the 2014-15 season.
- Kevin Durant requests trade from Nets, wants to play for Heat or Suns
- Deandre Ayton Next Team Odds, Pistons’ Odds Increase by 25%
- Spurs trade Dejounte Murray to Hawks for Gallinari, two first-round picks
- P.J. Tucker signs with 76ers on three-year, $30 million contract
- Collin Sexton Next Team Odds, Pacers’ Odds Increase by 15%